Court of the Fallen
A Different Kind of Demon Hunting [OPEN] - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: A Different Kind of Demon Hunting [OPEN] (/showthread.php?tid=352)

Pages: 1 2

A Different Kind of Demon Hunting [OPEN] - Jigano - 01-01-2019

{{A request for any who wish to join this thread: I often have trouble loading/reading posting tables, so I would appreciate if people don’t use them here. Thank you!}}

His meeting with Isla had been productive in a number of ways. He’d gained a friend who was also a healer, made plans to meet her again, and to begin learning a bit of hands-on medicine of his own – something he rationally knew was wise, but emotionally struggled with, as it meant a resumption of responsibilities he’d been running from for several years. Too long? Perhaps. But in the meantime there were other things to consider.

The dangers of Caido had largely passed him by in his first few weeks, give or take the gourds of unusual ferocity. Isla had warned him of a particularly interesting beastie, though – a demon, or something similar, that guarded the strange obsidian spire at the center of their little world. Jigano had instinctively given the place a wide berth without questioning his impulses to first explore the edges of the barrier and the dwellings and buildings of civilization he could find, but now his curiosity was scratching at the back of his thoughts, insistent and driving.

The notice board had said to stay away, that the beast was extremely dangerous, and while he was occasionally a fool, the bard tried not to be stupid. Before he went to attempt a personal reconnaissance he wanted to see what he could find in the Atheneum’s extensive depths. He was working on several of the languages in the books he’d found, some of which he could read, others of which he was puzzling through with frustrating slowness, relying on books that had pictures – like the little herbal Samuel had shown him – to begin sorting out concepts. Words. Basic letters, in some cases.

He hoped information on the spire demon would have been written by a native, in a common tongue he could understand, but if he had to rely on pictures he would. First, though, he had to find such a book, and that was proving a far more daunting task. Thinking he was alone he let his usually-amiable mask slip, scowling at the shelf in front of him as he raised his covered lantern to peer at the spines in increasing frustration.

”Why the hell, in all these years, has no one organized this damn place?”

RE: A Different Kind of Demon Hunting [OPEN] - Kalt - 01-01-2019

Kalt walked to the Atheneum, his gloved hands in the pockets of a coat that draped to his knees. One of his favorite places to go in the Northwind was the library. Typically it was the one in the castle when everyone was asleep, but that wasn’t important anymore. He had heard about the Atheneum, but with some of the drama that Kalt had started dealing with - not that he was complaining - when he reintroduced Ashe into his life, it was a little difficult to find time for some casual reading. He decided it was time for a change.

He walked inside, admiring the view he was greeted with. Of course it was a mess, which tweaked his compulsively organized mind, but it had a relaxing feeling to it, kind of similar to an old, abandoned manor that hadn’t been touched in years. Kalt allowed his gaze to search the area, drinking in the sight with a certain element of foreign sentimentality.

There was a voice that drew his attention to another man, a man that he didn’t recognize. Despite how many people he didn’t recognize in this world, seeing another one always brought a bad taste to his mouth. Who was he? Is he a threat? Is there some dark secret surrounding him? Such questions and more flooded his mind every time he met someone new, making it usually difficult for anyone to persuade the trust from his bones.

Unbeknownst to him, he was actually there for the same reason as the other man. At least a similar reason. The spire demon had been on Kalt’s mind practically since they arrived. He watched the fight that Ashe and the others were involved in, and he wanted to know more, but circumstances had yet to bring him to the spire. Hopefully, he would get to approach soon. The little warning on the notice board did little to deter the assassin. In fact, it may as well have been a dare, not that Ashe needed to know his thoughts just yet.

”Perhaps, no one has had a love of books that drove them to create an organizational structure in here,” Kalt said, flashing a grin to the man. ”Pity. It could be wondrous. I’m Kalt. Who’re you?”

Jigano

RE: A Different Kind of Demon Hunting [OPEN] - Jigano - 01-02-2019

The white-haired man managed to bite back a yelp at the voice that came from far too near at hand. He didn't quite stop the flinch though, or the ripple of tension that went through him, ready to run or fight long enough to run as he turned to face the newcomer. He hated it when people snuck up on him - but more, he was annoyed at himself for not paying attention to his surroundings. The other man didn't look like he'd tried to be all that stealthy, and he'd announced himself with courtesy and humor.

And he was in the glorified library. That was in his favor.

"Hmph. It would be the work of a lifetime," the scholar conceded reluctantly, smoothing down his long tunic and regathering his dignity as quickly as he could. He returned Kalt's smile, taking in the other man's appearance with a glance that would assess the cut and quality of his clothing, any obvious weapons, and his general hygiene. Was this a well-off townsman? A rustic hunter? A soldier or guard? Not that it would do him much good, with the variety of outlanders like himself in the area, but old habits died hard as he tried to assess his audience.

"Well, Kalt, my name is Jigano. And I hope it's a pleasure to meet you." His lips quirked in a wry grin as he lowered the lantern between them, tilting his head at the newcomer. "And what brings you to this old home for lost books today?" This very cold day, though at least the building was intact enough to keep out the wind.

RE: A Different Kind of Demon Hunting [OPEN] - Kalt - 01-06-2019

Kalt nodded slowly at the comment of how much work it would be to organize all of the books. It would probably take two lifetimes to tackle that kind of project, not that he would mind. In fact, the assassin had half a mind to dedicate a few afternoons to investigating the place further. There was no telling what kinds of wonderful things he could find hidden within dusty bindings or in foreign tongues.

As Jigano would take in Kalt’s attire, the assassin did the same for the white-haired male. He drew a long breath, inhaling the musty scent of abandoned tales. It was a wonder that this place wasn’t constantly swarming with patrons. If he had some more time on his hands, it would absolutely have been spent within these crumbling walls. Never before had a place struck him as having the feeling of home as a building filled with books. Stories and information made up who he was, so it was only fitting that he felt at him in such a place.

He hoped it was a pleasure to meet him. How charming. Kalt had to force himself to contain a scoff at that, force himself not to start tension with someone whose worth he had yet to determine.

”I’m looking for further information on the creature that plagues the spire,” the assassin answered honestly, a shock to even himself. He didn’t often offer honesty to a stranger right out of the gate, but he decided to see where it took him this time. ”Someone I care for was one of the first ones to face the creature, and she isn’t one for giving up. I want to find as much information on the thing as I can. What about you, Jigano? What brings you here?”

RE: A Different Kind of Demon Hunting [OPEN] - Jigano - 01-07-2019

Jigano's attire was simple but elegant, serviceable, but well-cut. Tan breeches of sturdy, supple leather tucked into calf-high boots with soft soles. He wore a linen tunic of light green that hugged his body but had full flaring sleeves beneath a longer, sleeveless over-tunic that fit his torso snugly and fell to his knees. The latter was made of a heavier bluish-grey fabric, tougher and more tightly woven. Over it all he wore a pale grey cloak to keep out the winter's chill that crept into the Atheneum through its fallen wall.

The bold statement would have been refreshing - if it wasn't so suspicious. Jigano kept the pleasantly courteous smile on his face, but for a moment he found himself doubting the newcomer's sincerity, or at least the coincidence which brought him here at the same time-- but, no. No, it made sense that others were seeking information on the mysterious demon. Which meant...

"It seems we outlanders share a morbid sense of curiosity," the bard said, voice dry as he turned back to the shelf, squatting down to check the lower ones since the higher had proven fruitless. "I have a healer friend who has been worried about the demon's victims. She said two soldiers from her homeland had been injured by it, and then that notice went up on the board..." he grimaced. "And, I admit, I don't like not knowing about something so dangerous living, proverbially, right next door. So I've been trying to do a bit of research myself. But I fear the books that would be most helpful are written in languages I can't read. After all," he glanced up at his companion, one white brow raised in a sardonic smile. "If the natives knew how to get rid of it, we wouldn't be dealing with it now."

Long, elegant fingers snagged a slim black volume, weathered and ancient, like a hawk stooping on its prey. Setting the lantern down, Jigano flipped the book open, nibbling his lip as he examined the faded scribbles on the title page. "So, Kalt, may I ask how long you've been in this delightful little bubble? And what world you were absconded from?" He glanced up again, grin wry as he stood, the book carefully closed and held to his chest. It was oddly refreshing to speak to someone he didn't have to crane his neck down to see eye-to-eye for a change. "I've got a running bet with myself. Odds are currently at twenty to one that you say 'Northaven.'"

RE: A Different Kind of Demon Hunting [OPEN] - Kalt - 01-09-2019

The assassin wondered briefly about the wry smile Jigano wore. It wasn’t an unusual thing for someone to smile nervously around Kalt, but it was different then, and he wasn’t sure that he was entirely comfortable around the other man. There was a certain level of suspicion that crept up his spine through his interaction with Jigano for a reason he had yet to discern. Perhaps it was an empathetic reaction to the other man’s suspicion of Kalt. It would make sense. For two strangers to automatically trust each other simply because of a mutual interest in a deadly creature would be foolish.

He watched the man crouch down, but decided to remain upright, clear blue eyes scanning the bindings of the books within sight. Despite the suspicion that he believed to be justified, Kalt related to the man’s quest for knowledge. He enjoyed the way he spoke, but it wasn’t enough for the assassin to instantly warm up to him. A little time and he could see the paranoia lowering a little bit.

Kalt chuckled lightly, nodding his head with a crooked smile. ”You would win that bet,” he said. ”Northaven is correct. Northwind before that. My daughter and I were just plucked up and brought here for reasons unknown. Can’t say I don’t enjoy it, though.” He looked around at the numerous books, likely more unreadable than readable. He questioned briefly where the languages came from and just how old some of the books were.

”We agree on the dislike of not knowing something. My life has been dedicated to the pursuit of knowledge and training, mental and physical.” The man’s physique would be obvious of his combat training. ”And you?” He asked curiously. ”My memory is perfect. I would have known your face if you came from Northaven.”

RE: A Different Kind of Demon Hunting [OPEN] - Jigano - 01-09-2019

Jigano gave a little nod of amused satisfaction at being proved right, though he found himself wondering why so many outlanders seemed to come from this one place. He'd certainly not met anyone else from his world since arriving! But the place was practically awash in Northaveners. "I'm glad you weren't separated from your daughter," he said gently, and with utter sincerity. He had left no one behind but ghosts and memories when he had fallen through his portal, but he could well imagine the pain of those who had found themselves torn from their loved ones. "It does make it more of an adventure than some sort of divine punishment, doesn't it? I find myself in a somewhat similar mindset."

Even if his ghosts had followed him, regardless. And had been awakening with a vengeance lately as he found himself making ties again, that he thought he would never attempt again.

"But no, I'm not from either Northwind, nor Northaven," Jigano gave a little shrug, smile quirking. "Though I'm from an area called the 'Northlands,' so at least I'm no stranger to the snow here." Perhaps the gods just liked northerners... if it was, indeed, any or some of the local gods behind the portals. "And I'm a lorekeeper and a bard. Dedicated to knowledge... in all its forms. Both the learning of it, and the sharing." His chuckle was indeed a little melodic as he scooped up his lantern and turned to walk a few steps away to another shelf, glancing over his shoulder at Kalt to continue the conversation as he searched. "Physically, I do what I need to. Dance, preferably. But I've always prioritized the mental pursuits,." And relying on enchantments to make up for his physical deficiencies. His smile slipped a little, but only for a moment as his eyes flickered down in a painful memory. A second later he was smiling again, running his fingers over the spines of another set of books. "Perhaps here I will need to spend more time on those, however. I've certainly been working on getting my endurance back lately! And you, Kalt? What sort of physical training do you prefer to undertake?"

RE: A Different Kind of Demon Hunting [OPEN] - Kalt - 01-11-2019

Kalt simply nodded with a small smile when the other man commented on the assassin staying with his daughter. He believed that if he had been separated from Theea, he very well might have challenged the gods themselves to get back to her. Whether the toddler was biologically his or not, he raised her and protected her from his Master. She was his and anyone who said otherwise could make their case at the end of his blade.

The man chuckled at the question of training. ”Oh,” he started almost dismissively. ”I do a little bit of everything. I’ve been training in extreme combat since I was ten years old.” That was one way of saying that he was one of the best assassins Northwind had ever known, but that kind of information wasn’t given out just on a whim. Bastien had found out, sure, but that man proved himself well enough to be able to handle the information. Jigano wasn’t quite at that point yet.

Crouching down, Kalt ran a gloved finger along the spine of an unnamed book and took it out, briskly flipping through the pages and deciding it was of no use. He wondered if they would be able to find anything at all useful.

”So, a lorekeeper... What of lore did you keep, Jigano?” He asked with a crooked smile.

RE: A Different Kind of Demon Hunting [OPEN] - Jigano - 01-11-2019

Kalt's vague dismissiveness of his own regimen didn't go unnoticed, though the mention of 'extreme' combat training at such a tender age had the bard glancing up, brow cocked in curiosity. "Yes," he murmured. "I think Edy mentioned something along those lines. She was... a little hard to follow." To say the least. The girl had rambled worse than an old country lane, but she'd done a good job smashing pumpkins and had helped him mix up a mean drink from their flesh. "I hope your daughter may grow up in a more peaceful home here." No duchies or kings or wars to endanger her, at least. Though the local monsters might make up for that... but at least they looked like monsters. Jigano preferred that to the ones who wore a human face.

Still cautious, but relaxing in increments as Kalt continued to act with courtesy and even joined him in his search, Jigano chuckled. He started to pull a book out then paused, squinting at the squiggly writing on its spine. Slowly, he slid it back in, then plucked the one beside it instead. Small, more a diary than a proper tome, and almost lost amidst the larger books around it, it had a crumbling black leather cover and pages faded brown with time and weather. "Why, whatever lore I can find," he answered absently, gently teasing the pages open with practiced fingers to avoid tearing the fragile old paper. "Written, spoken, sung... I remember it, write it down, rescue what might be on the verge of being lost or simply learn what is common in one place and take it to another where it may be of use. Knowledge for the sake of it... tempered with sharing it, giving it purpose." He smiled slightly, eyes passing over the half-familiar text in the book in his hands as he turned another page with a lover's touch. "And you never know what will be of use someday, to someone else who needs it."

He glanced up, the other brow quirking as blue eyes took in Kalt's easy balance as he crouched nearby. "And you? What combats did you seek out, to test your training in?"

RE: A Different Kind of Demon Hunting [OPEN] - Kalt - 01-14-2019

Regardless of whether or not Kalt was able to understand the scribbles on the pages of the book, he continued flipping through it, fascinated by the foreign language. He had studied languages extensively in Northwind, but nothing like this one. He wished he had because he was dying to know what was in those books.

Jigano spoke, and while Kalt might not have been looking intently at the man, he was definitely listening. Lorekeeping was a great thing, and he had always been thankful to the men and women who did it back in his world. How else would he have been able to complete medical school? Go on adventures? Learn and understand myths and legends?

The question about his combat experience had the man’s clear eyes turn upwards again, glancing at his companion with a small smirk. Curious, wasn’t he? It was only fair. Kalt had asked about Jigano’s history, so Jigano has every right to return the inquiry.

He wasn’t yet truly comfortable with the other man, though. While Kalt wasn’t going to lie to him, he didn’t feel quite confident enough to give the entire truth. Perhaps with a little time, it would come out.

”I was a scout or spy or whatever you want to call it,” he answered casually, not the slightest hint of any fabrication displayed on his face or in his body language. ”Worked as a mercenary for the most part, taking contracts for the highest bidder. One of the best in the kingdom. I was trained, however, for combat and stealth. It wasn’t overly rare that I would have to fight my way out of somewhere, but hazards of the job. Everything’s got them.” He grinned at the white-haired man with a shrug. ”Gave me the luxurious and adventurous living I fancied so much.” With a wink, he turned his attention again to the book, putting it back on the shelf and rising easily to take hold of another.

RE: A Different Kind of Demon Hunting [OPEN] - Jigano - 01-14-2019

Whatever you want to call it? Jigano thought, amusement tickling at the edges of his caution. Those are two very different things, with two very different skill sets... But Kalt was continuing, and the bard listened with interest and a pleasant expression, glancing over at the arrogant assertion that he was ‘the best’ in his kingdom. An adventurer, the lorekeeper could well believe. But he had met a few in the Settlement already who were lighter on their feet or moved with more unconscious grace than the man beside him. Even Edrei, undisciplined problem child though she could be, looked stronger, and he’d bet the pup Remi, for all his faults, might well come out on top in a fight, if only he could calm his wounded soul and learn a bit of self-control.

But, ”Some jobs are more hazardous than others,” he chuckled. He could ask some of his other Northaven friends about the man later, to crosscheck how truthful he was being. A good researcher always double-checked his source material when possible, though even if he was lying at least the man was a likeable rogue. Far better than the alternative, in Jigano's experience!

”Ah yes, the glamorous life of adventure: sleeping on the hard ground, eating cold rations, picking twigs out of your hair in the morning, and spending cantrips like water to get the mud out of your cloak…” Strangely, despite his grin he didn’t sound like he missed such ‘luxuries’ but perhaps that was because he still hadn’t left them behind. Glancing down at the book in his hand his grin softened, and he closed it carefully before slipping it into a pouch at his side for later. There was nothing as exciting as an old book that hadn’t been touched in decades – or longer. Well. Nothing more exciting that he wanted to find, these days, though his choice in friends and his own insatiable curiosity made that unlikely.

He stood less smoothly than Kalt, taking more care to dust himself off as he turned to the shelf behind them, leaving the mercenary to peruse the books on the previous shelf, and widening their search a bit more. ”You mentioned one you care for had faced the creature… What were they able to tell you about it? The more we know, the more we may be able to narrow down what to look for. I admit, I’m not even sure what it looks like, aside from third-hand accounts that are frustratingly vague…”

RE: A Different Kind of Demon Hunting [OPEN] - Kalt - 01-19-2019

Kalt chuckled in response to the lorekeeper’s comment. Some jobs certainly were more hazardous. Kalt had quite a few scars on his body - and his mind - some of which were self-inflicted. The life of an assassin wasn’t exactly the easiest on the body or on the mind.

While Silver Wing might have been more amused by the way Jigano described the life of a rogue if he had actually lived it. Kalt was an absolutely shameless diva. Even when he ‘roughed it’ in the outdoors, he would prepare gourmet meals over the campfire and turn a cloak into a feather comforter with his magic. He was accustomed to a certain style of living, and he didn’t settle for less, which made the first few weeks of living in this world total hell without his magic to cater to his luxurious desires.

As the white-haired male asked about Ashe’s encounter with the spire demon, Kalt’s brows lifted slightly. ”It’s vulnerable to lightning,” he said. ”She managed to trap it in a lightning cage, but doesn’t know exactly how long it would last if put to the test.” He wondered if it was lightning specifically or just all fire. ”Also, its insides aren’t like ours. They aren’t organic, apparently. At least not organic like anything we’ve seen.”

Kalt fell quiet briefly, his eyes narrowing and staring off, as though he was caught in his imagination, but he started wondering if his magic could bring the creature down from the inside. If Ashe could open the creature’s skin, Kalt’s transmutation might be able to turn whatever inorganic insides the creature had to wood or something. Just make it unable to function.

He looked at Jigano then with a certain gleam in his eye. ”You haven’t come across anything yet about first hand accounts with it, have you? Journals or stories or anything like that? I want to know if anyone other than the first group of us faced off against the creature and survived... Maybe their account could tell us something.” It was pie in the sky hope, but Kalt wanted to kill the creature fucking yesterday.

RE: A Different Kind of Demon Hunting [OPEN] - Jigano - 01-19-2019

Kalt's information was fascinating and likely incredibly important. Enough so that the lorekeeper abandoned the search for books to dig his notebook out and scribble down what the mercenary was saying, humming thoughtfully and occasionally muttering to himself. "Lightning... maybe fire? Heat and... inorganic? That would explain the longevity. Blood... or something else? Ah, Kalt, by chance did she say what color it bled?" he asked, taking notes and making a few furious connections.

He raised his head to meet his companion's eyes with a wry smile. "That's one of the things I'm looking for, yes. Anything on the creature, no matter how small. But... this is a big library. The books we want could be almost anywhere, or could have been destroyed when the wall was brought down. Journals, though, are probably the most likely to exist... though whether in a tongue we know is another question."

He shrugged, flicking his gaze back to the shelves with the focused intensity of a warrior sizing up an opponent. "But this section seems to have quite a few personal journals. There's at least a chance we'll find something here, however small. And if Outlanders have been coming here as often as the Northhaven contingent and myself, there was bound to have been previous fights with it. Whether anyone survived to tell the tale though..." Again he shrugged, this time grimacing as he reached out to pluck another book like a ripe fruit from its branch, flipping it open and studying its pages with renewed intensity.

RE: A Different Kind of Demon Hunting [OPEN] - Kalt - 01-30-2019

The man drew his brows together, slowly shaking his head to Jigano’s questioning about the attack strategy Kalt was giving him. ”She didn’t mention anything about it bleeding,” he said. ”Sorry.”

He watched Jigano taking notes and smirked. With a perfect memory, Kalt never had to take any kinds of notes. Sure, he would write things out when he needed to visualize it, but there was rarely a time when he couldn’t just use his own mind as a way to draw on the information. Even through medical school he hadn’t taken notes a single time. He almost laughed at the thought most people would have at finding that out.

The thought that there had been more fights with the creature made him wonder. Why hadn’t the Naturals figured out how to defeat the creature yet? Why hadn’t any Outlanders in the past defeated it? Were people really just content to remain trapped within the bubble under the threat of the demon for their entire lives? It made no sense to him.

”You’re a lorekeeper,” he said, keeping the statement open-ended for a moment. ”Surely you’ve come across other languages in the past? Of course not these in particular, but do you have experience in translation? Perhaps there’s some way to figure out what the books in here say.”