Court of the Fallen
lights out - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: lights out (/showthread.php?tid=3615)

Pages: 1 2

lights out - Noah - 06-08-2020

Being here made it feel like there was a tight fist over his heart and it kept tightening and tightening its grip, threatening to burst the organ and send him to perish. Before he had entered he stood merely looking at the building for a long time. He didn't really want to be here without her standing behind the bar, sending the whiskey he liked (that she had picked out for him, strictly based on her knowledge of him) his way without even asking. Weaver had known what he needed more than the whiskey, and he missed her dearly.

But life had to move on. Death was a part of life, and tragic death was a part of Halo.

He sat at the bar, the Chief of Public Affairs, listening to the goings-on among the townspeople while he sipped the whiskey he had been served. While it didn't come to him through a Hale, it still tasted fine. It just lacked something. He spent hours at the bar, striking up conversation here and there, but mostly he sat and listened. He did not think it eaves dropping, for most people in Halo were too loud for their own good. Instead, he looked at it as information gathering. It was not any different than what Noah would have been doing before, the introverted man that he was, but now he had a title and position that gave him the responsibility to address the things that Halovians complained about.

And so he listened, diligently.

Kiada

RE: lights out - Kiada - 06-12-2020

It was exhausting, constantly dealing with the Grounders here. But it was a bit easier – not having to stray so far between places to take care of them all. And they’d all started to kind of get the hint, handling themselves as it comes down to it. Now, her job wasn’t as tough or went on for so long, but it still drained as she struggled to recoup the lost hours of sleep and everything else. Let alone, the whole ordeal within the Kraai in and of itself, of the owner that’s passed on and left the place without much of a space to go forward to.

But that’s all in the past now, and Kiada’s just trying to wait until the end of LongNight until she can take them all home and finally get some rest.

She sits at the bar now too, with a drink and a meal, her journal set out in front of her as she scribbles out a few more things to it. The dragon an addition to the book of creatures to learn more about. And she sits there, eating and drinking, scribbling, occasionally reaching down to scratch Auni between the ears who’s promptly sat on the floor with his head on the edge of the barstool’s foot rest, snoozing loud.

RE: lights out - Noah - 06-14-2020

The Kraai bustled with activity, despite a clear lack of organization and care. With Weaver gone, no one had really stepped up to take the mantel. He thought that was probably out of fear--fear of tarnishing the lost-Warden's memory, and fear of Korbin trying to burn them alive. He didn't blame them, and even though his whiskey was served to him in a decent manner, he knew something around here would need to change soon. Even after the Grounders would head back home, he was sure that the activity level would not change.

His hours spent at the bar were good for him. He gained some knowledge, he heard some complaints, and he observed. If Noah was anything, it was observant. His time on the tundra tracking and hunting and planning and herding had given him that skill. There were very few things that happened in the Olson's life that he didn't notice--and when he did, it was probably because it didn't matter. The woman sitting at the bar--one he recognized briefly from the bar games they all played before their lives exploded, and the one known to be the advisor of the Grounders--was not lost on him. He watched her out of the corner of his eye for a while before he slid towards her, taking up an empty stool on her right.

[say]"What's its name?"[/say] He asked, glacier eyes tipping down to the dwarfed luxere she kept showing affection to.

RE: lights out - Kiada - 06-15-2020

The huntress notices immediately when Noah sits closer – but she doesn’t pause until she’s directly spoken to. The glass is lifted to her lips to take a deep drink from it before she’s looking over to him when his deep voice breaks the air. She recognizes him from somewhere, though she can’t quite recall where exactly, and it helps ease some of her worries that he might ask her how much Auni was as if he were for sale.

She sets the glass down and turns a bit more fully toward Noah with an elbow resting on the bar. “[say]His name’s Auni.[/say]” She offers with a soft smile back toward the man. “[say]I got him two years ago in the Grounds during LongNight. He’s a little survivor.[/say]” She says, reaching down again to scratch behind his antlers behind his ears. “[say]I’m Kiada.[/say]” She offers in greeting as she lets her icy gaze lift to meet his face.

RE: lights out - Noah - 06-15-2020

Noah's face lit warmly as Kiada spoke, introducing her companion. Auni. He looked down at the tiny luxere, smiling. [say]"Nice to meet you, Auni."[/say] For a hunter, Noah still liked animals. He saw them for all the value they held--meat, fur, companionship, aiding the sick, etc. He could appreciate that the woman held this creature dear to her heart, but if she told him that others had tried to buy it off of her for it's meat, fur, and antlers, he would not be surprised. Some in Halo were more crass than others.

[say]"Noah Olson."[/say] He moved his hand towards her, offering the greeting. [say]"Hunter."[/say] He was so used to giving his job right after his name that it rolled off of his tongue with ease. The fact that he now had two titles still hardly registered at times, and he wasn't quite ready to be throwing it around town like confetti. He would hold the responsibility and authority of the title, surely, but he did not need to hold any arrogance regarding it. He was still Noah, the oldest Olson, the hunter, the reindeer.

[say]"You're with those from the Hollowed Grounds, yeah?"[/say] He asked her, picking up his glass to take another sip of his whiskey.

RE: lights out - Kiada - 06-16-2020

Auni opens one pale blue eye to look at Noah before he’s lifting his head to inspect the hunter a bit more. Kiada, meanwhile, takes the moment to look Noah up and down, to figure out where she’s seen him before in particular – and it suddenly hits her that he was at the drinking games that she’d attended with Chulane. She’s never gathered his name, not until now when he offers it up easily enough – tacking on a title on the end as well.

Her lips curl a bit more into a brighter smile, one slightly amused and yet understanding. Her hand extends as well, reaching out to clasp his own in a small handshake – her own strong and firm as she shakes it. But then he picks up his glass again, asks her if she’s with those from the Hollowed Grounds, and she nods to that as she shifts in her seat, crossing a leg over the other to lean back and regard him a bit more fully.

“[say]I’m sort of the one in charge of them right now, yeah.[/say]” She says with a soft laugh tacked onto the end. “[say]I hope they haven’t been causing you too much trouble.[/say]”

RE: lights out - Noah - 06-16-2020

As the creature opened its eyes to look at him, Noah raised a tentative brow and reached out slightly, asking silent permission to pet the companion on its head. He had never touched a live luxere that he didn't intend to kill, so it felt a little strange, but he would show the companion that he was no harm.

With his other hand he set his glass back down on the countertop, and leaned on his forearm some. [say]"No,"[/say] He said, shaking his head as if brushing off her concern. [say]"Not any more trouble that the Halovians have been as of late."[/say] In the transition, the frozen people had started to go back to how they had acted before Neron took his post as Warden. Before him, the town would go into turmoil for a few weeks before someone strapped them all back to their positions and screwed their heads on straight again. For Noah, he hoped that Longnight would be the turning point for the people to rally back together, to stand arm in arm once again against the tundra.

[say]"Are you a part of the Hollowed Grounds government, then? Do you always oversee the people?"[/say] Part of him hoped she did, because then he could possibly gain some wisdom from her. To hold this position in his own government was totally foreign to him, but he wanted to do his best for the people. As he spoke, his eyes had wandered down briefly to her journal, the sketch of the dragon catching his eye. It made his heart twist as Weaver's own face shifted into memory behind his eyes.

RE: lights out - Kiada - 06-17-2020

There’s a soft laugh that leaves her at his concession. “[say]I’m glad.[/say]” She announces quietly, pleased that they haven’t burned bridges for their misunderstandings and confusion regarding the snowy tundra. But that’s beside the point, now, especially as the conversation shifts and she understands what it’s like to live in a place that’s got a lull of power, watching as it fights both for and against the people.

His question catches her a small amount off guard, and she pushes her glass toward the edge of the bar for a refill from the bartender before her gaze levels back toward him. “[say]Nope.[/say]” She chimes with an easy grin. “[say]I’m the monster hunter’s guildmistress in the Grounds. Most of the government is staying there to protect it. But they entrusted me with keeping the Grounders in line here.[/say]” Her shoulders rise and fall in a small shrug as she gets her glass back, lifting her glass to her lips. She leaves the journal open, leaves the information out in the open of what she knows about the dragons of Halo.

Which is to say, not a lot.

RE: lights out - Noah - 06-23-2020

When she revealed what her role was in the Hollowed Grounds, Noah connected the dots as the why the woman was making notes on dragons. His forehead wrinkled as his eyebrows knit together and he looked back up to her. [say]"Monster hunters guild? Well, I'd like to hear more about that."[/say] He glanced back down to the journal. [say]"Do you have more notes of creatures in Halo, or just the one that killed our Warden?"[/say] He lifted a brow, wondering what her guild truly was about. Was it merely to eradicate all creatures that endangered the lives of others in the world? Or was it to eradicate specific monsters that ended important lives, lives that needed vengeance? If it was the previous, Noah had strong feelings about that. He knew that the world needed balance and that balance included predators. However, if it were the later....Noah wanted nothing more than to sink one of his own arrows deep into the heart of the while dragon that claimed his friend.

His own experience with monsters--dangerous creatures--was limited to Halo. He thought, once, that he had encountered a dangerous dragon on the beaches of Torchline. However, it had only been the companion of the woman he met there. Phoebe. He knew her to run the medical college, but since Deepfrost had set in he had not heard from or about her. He hadn't left Halo since he returned from meeting her. Nevertheless, he was well versed in what creatures stalked out on the tundra, and was filled with stories and tales of others he had not yet seen.

RE: lights out - Kiada - 06-24-2020

She flashes Noah an easy grin. “[say]It’s sort of exactly as it sounds.[/say]” She chimes, before a light laugh leaves her and she’s readjusting a bit — shifting the book a bit closer to Noah. “[say]I have a few from Korbin I learned about. Ursurs and the like.[/say]” She flips through the pages, pausing at the Ursur page, the Eirachi page, all of that.

But her gaze flickers back over to him easily. “[say]I’m sorry about Weaver.[/say]” She begins, as if it makes it easier to have gained and lost another Warden so soon. “[say]I want to learn a bit more about the dragon that took her. I’m only familiar with dragon companions, not the species that exists here.[/say]” A brow raises slightly in her silent question. “[say]Im trying to catalogue the creatures of Caido out. Hunts when things become threatening, but mostly to observe for information.[/say]”

RE: lights out - Noah - 06-24-2020

Her smile makes him feel a little more at ease. Noah, being more introverted, didn't normally just start conversations out of nowhere with strangers--unless he thought they might need some help. Kiada had looked completely self sufficient sitting here at the bar, scribbling her notes. So when she smiled, he felt welcome, and his readiness to converse came easier. He matched it, smiling a little. [say]"Does your guild only allow Hollowed Grounds citizens?"[/say] He wondered, if she were trying to gain more information about the creatures of other parts of Caido, if another land's citizen could be beneficial.

Thei experience, it seemed, to be the opposite. [say]"I had never seen a dragon companion until I met a woman named Phoebe, in Torchline."[/say] He finished his whiskey. [say]"I know stories of where all dragons come from. The dragons that live in the Fangs all came from outside of Halo. But, in Halo, they live in caves in the Fangs. They're greedy creatures, and it is really rare to see one. The one that killed Weaver was the first dragon sighting I can remember in my lifetime."[/say]

RE: lights out - Kiada - 06-24-2020

Despite her appearance, Kiada likes to think she’s a friendly woman. At least when people weren’t threatening her. But she also liked to think that she looked like she could hold her own – like she could absolutely kick your ass if need be. At least it kept most people away, and only those that seemed worth the conversation would prod further. Noah seems like one of those, a decent person, a kind enough man despite her not knowing much about him other than this and the fact he’s on the Council. It’s enough.

She shifts her braid as she looks back to him with his aired question, fingers running along the large X marking etched into her neck on full display. “[say]We’re open for other places.[/say]” She informs him with a light laugh. “[say]Chulane’s a part of it as well. Looking to join?[/say]” She raises a brow, an easy saccharine smile crossing her face.

But then she’s explaining what her goals for the Guild are – and with it, she focuses on what he has to say. “[say]Ah, yes, Phoebe. She came from the Grounds initially.[/say]” She offers with a nod – having met the midwife once or twice. She hadn’t realized she’d had a dragon – had only seen Adam’s dragon Coffee before everything else happened. And it sounds like the same went for Noah as well, only one small detail was missing. “[say]I do recall a group from the Grounds came to try and slay one for the temple shrine to get rebuilt.[/say]” She purses her lips slightly. “[say]Flowerbirth I think it was? They came across a white dragon. Three out of five made it back.[/say]” This is where she frowns, having not even attempted to go into the Tundra and pay her respects to Adam and Peter. She hopes that they can hear them from within the Citadel walls.

RE: lights out - Noah - 06-24-2020

Noah had never really contemplated joining a guild, before now. Really, he had never been offered the opportunity. His own ideals of training other hunters had not been so much to make him start his own club of men and women. He rolled the idea over in his head. [say]"What is involved in being a member of your guild?"[/say] Noah was not really one to jump in head first without truly mulling over his options. However, if he heard what he liked, and the commitment didn't require his life's loyalty, he may consider it.

He nodded, [say]"I met her in Torchline, but she took me to her medical college and showed me around there. It was really magnificent. I had asked Loren if he might build something like that here, but..."[/say] Noah trailed off, realizing he was starting on a tangent. his eyes trailed down to her hand idly running over her scar, and he wanted to ask her about it, but didn't want to seem rude. So he chose to move on from it. Icy eyes came back up to her darker blues.

[say]"I remember hearing about them."[/say] Noah spent so much time that season trying to keep his brother in Halo rather than travel, that he hardly remembered the details of the goings on in the rest of the city. [say]"Did you know them? Were they members of your guild?"[/say]

RE: lights out - Kiada - 06-25-2020

“[say]Just the opportunity to get information on the creatures and possible help when needed.[/say]” She offers Noah with a nod, an easy pearl smile sent his way. It really didn’t require a lot – little updates here and there if possible, but it certainly made it easy if they needed to reach out for help to get hunts underway for those that were far more dangerous.

But she nods as he speaks of Phoebe, then trails off to Loren before he’s stopping himself but Kiada’s smile remains easily. “[say]I heard he started to.[/say]” She comments quietly, hand lowering from her neck to reach for the glass once more to take a sip from it as she picks over her words, trying to decide how exactly to word the fact that the last expedition here had gone terribly. “[say]They weren’t members of my guild, no.[/say]” She murmurs lightly.

“[say]I think the one that lead it owns the bar in the Grounds as well. Same language for the name of the bars. Sunjata, I think Weaver said his name was when I asked.[/say]” Lips purse slightly before she shakes her head. “[say]But I did have a friend who died there. Adam. A couple members of my family went with them too. They made it out. Adam and Peter were left behind.[/say]” She sighs, downing the rest of her drink and pushing it forward to ask for another one before her gaze flickers back toward Noah with a raised brow. “[say]Needed a rare heart for the shrine. Ended up getting it with Adam’s dragon companion.[/say]”