Court of the Fallen
Seeking something other than darkness - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Seeking something other than darkness (/showthread.php?tid=3672)

Pages: 1 2

Seeking something other than darkness - Chulane - 06-16-2020

Academy life resurrected feelings of home for the vet. Having spent a large part of his developing years living on an university campus, he was reliving the experience, in a way. At least here, he wasn't studying out of some duty, some qualification, no, he was studying his own notes here, and the ones Jigano had lent him, purely for his own interest.

But there was only so much studying one could do by the light of the fireplace, before one felt like tearing his own eyes out. Longnight had so far delivered as promised - an extended period of darkness, of deathly cold if one stepped outside, and of being crammed up in one place.

Since arriving in Halo, Chuy had adopted a pretty active lifestyle. He was lean and lanky before, but the constant lifting, walking, woodchopping and otherwise active work had layered him up with a healthy amount of muscle. His body craved movement, it needed it. So he moved.

He left the room that he and Kia and Auni shared, to once again walk the halls of the Academy, to explore, to marvel at the great structure. He'd never completely belong here - magic did not run through his veins in the way it does to those mages called Abandoned, and so he would never be permitted to enrol and learn from the masters of the magical arts directly.

His explorations led him to a room, which was much like every other room, except for one clear difference - it had a guard standing outside. [say]"Shit mate, don't you have anything better to do?"[/say] He said as he approached, shaking his head slightly as he connected the dots as to whose room this was.

Shrugging, Chuy stepped around the guard and knocked on the door. [say]"Hey Nez, it's Chuy,"[/say] he called softly. [say]"Want some company?"[/say]

RE: Seeking something other than darkness - Neron - 06-17-2020

Ascended did not sleep, which just meant that there was more time to get bored. Luckily for Neron, he had a stable supply of reading material to keep him occupied - and plenty of excitement in between, apparently. Opening the door to Chuy, Neron offered a crooked smile, glancing sidelong at the guard. [say]”Giving my honour guard trouble, hm?”[/say] he asked, smile spreading into a grin before he stepped aside to invite the other man in if he wanted to.

Dressed in his customary black, fair hair ruffled as if he’d just gotten up, Chuy would doubtlessly see the pile of books stacked next to the bed, as well as the one still open in his hand. [say]”Company is always appreciated. You know, for some reason people don’t seem to want to come and see me?”[/say] He couldn’t imagine why. [say]”How are you finding the Academy?”[/say]

RE: Seeking something other than darkness - Chulane - 06-18-2020

He couldn't imagine a life where sleep was unnecessary. One on hand, it could be amazingly useful - to never tire, to always have an active mind that could be put to use discerning the world around him, to be able to work and play at all times. The drawbacks weren't worth the benefits in Chuy's eyes, but then, he had not lived the life of those who chose to Ascend.

[say]"Someone has to,"[/say] he replied with a shrug and a smirk to Neron's greeting about the guard, throwing a wink at the guard as he stepped in through the offered doorway. He glanced at the book the Ascended was reading, and noticed more of them once he looked around the room, noting with an interested quirk of his brow that they were novels of a particular variety.

[say]"The Academy is stunning."[/say] He said simply, glossing over the topic of why people might not be visiting him. Chuy had been here as well as everyone else when the disaster struck, had been affected by it, though not nearly as much as those who had lost their homes and livelihoods. And he wasn't sure he blamed Neron directly for what had happened anyway - it was the Eirachi who was truly responsible, for exacting revenge on an entire citadel rather than renegotiate terms with the man himself.

It was still all so bizarre and foreign to him anyway.

[say]"At any other time I would be celebrating this chance to explore it. It's amazing the difference a locked door can make to one's outlook."[/say] His words became softer as he spoke them, a slight frown wrinkling his forehead as he glanced at the door to Neron's room again, and metaphorically looked to the guard beyond it. [say]"What's the deal with that anyway?"[/say]

RE: Seeking something other than darkness - Neron - 06-18-2020

Clicking the door shut behind them - just to make it more difficult if the guard wanted to eavesdrop, not that Neron thought it all that likely - the ex-Warden smiled over his shoulder to Chuy. He couldn’t help but notice the way he examined the books, marking his place in the one he was reading currently and setting it down on a bedside table. [say]”Borrow one, if they are to your taste,”[/say] he said, unable to keep the amusement from his voice; they were very rarely to anyone’s taste.

[say]”It’s certainly a work of art,”[/say] he agreed about the Academy; and how very astute of Zariah, to ensure that her part of the Citadel was kept safe from the Eirachi’s wrath. [say]Still, plenty of time to explore once LongNight is over. Oh, that?”[/say] He followed his gaze to the door, grinning. [say]”Terms of my parole. I am to be accompanied to make sure I don’t cause any trouble. I’m also to help repair the buildings, when we are able to get outside.”[/say]

RE: Seeking something other than darkness - Chulane - 06-19-2020

He allowed himself a chuckle, and with Neron's permission granted helped himself to a novel. He'd been hard out of luck finding his favourite (but not always openly announced favourite) genre of fiction since coming here, and well, he missed it. So he selected a novel and carefully tucked it into one of the many pockets of his overcoat. [say]"I'll get it back to you before Longnight is done."[/say] He promised.

Chuy nodded as Neron explained his 'terms of parole'. [say]"Still seems a bit odd to me. Do you intend on biting everyone in the Citadel, spreading a plague of awkward boners and orgasms if left to your own devices?"[/say] He huffed a laugh as he helped himself to a seat. Once upon a time he might have blushed as he spoke of their recent experiment with Ascended bites and boners, but honestly? He didn't feel any shame in what they had done - he had helped a friend, and well, it wasn't unpleasant for him at all, if a bit awkward.

[say]"Though maybe that would let others see that you don't mean harm to them."[/say] Here he looked to the man, quiet curiosity apparently on his face. [say]"You'll stay in Halo, right?"[/say] he asked, wondering if these restrictions would push the man away from a region Chulane knew he felt very passionately about.

RE: Seeking something other than darkness - Neron - 06-19-2020

[say]”Certainly.”[/say] Neron smiled as he actually saw Chuy select a book, finding himself with a strange new respect for the vet (and after what he had done, he had already raised himself quite high in the ex-Warden’s estimations). Turning away from the door, he moved to sink down on the edge of the bed, a laugh bubbling up in his throat at the other man’s description of his apparent rampage through the Citadel. [say]”Because I have come across as such a deviant thus far,”[/say] he said, his tone dry and amused.

Still, Chuy had a point and he hummed out a sigh of agreement. [say]”I do want to stay in Halo, yes. And I intend to do as much as I can to repair the damages. In fact, I am awaiting a decision from the maybe-new owner of the Kraai. From Warden to bartender. Maybe I’ll be serving your drinks the next time you come in, rather than joining you for one.”[/say]

He glanced to the door again, suddenly mischievous. [say]”You know, if we can sneak past my new best friend, I could show you more of the Academy.”[/say]

RE: Seeking something other than darkness - Chulane - 06-20-2020

He was glad to hear that the man intended on staying in Halo. The region suited him, in Chuy's eyes - Ascended did not need food, did not feel the cold, and he was willing to put the work in to otherwise help and rebuild the fractured Citadel. It just fit.

[say]"Oh, that's great,"[/say] he commented, pleased that both Korbin and Neron might be able to find purpose in the bar that was left in Weaver's wake. He had been heartened to see Korbin's posting on the Notice Board - he hoped it was a sign of better days ahead.

A smirk tugged at his lips at Neron's impish glance. [say]"Feel like trying on some spots?"[/say] He grinned, before rising and approaching the door, knocking on it to alert the guard. [say]"Hey man, I'm about to shift, don't be alarmed when a leopard goes running past, mk?"[/say] Opening the door then, he gestured with a sweeping motion for Neron to make his exit wearing the shift his own blood had gifted to him.

RE: Seeking something other than darkness - Neron - 06-21-2020

[say]”I thought so too. I guarantee it’s got to be a lot less stressful than running the Citadel,”[/say] Neron said with a chuckle, glad to see that at least one person didn’t seem to want to run him out of the place. If he was asked he would agree that Halo suited him, and in truth it was the only home he’d ever known in Caido. The rest of the world could wait. When Chuy suggested he try on spots, Neron’s eyes lit up - he had forgotten that he would be able to do such a thing. (Matters had been slightly more pressing at the time).

[say]”Sure thing,”[/say] he said, rising to his feet and focusing inwards, trusting his body to know what to do with the strange new power it harboured; it had been remarkably good at adjusting to everything else since he’d become an Ascended. And, sure enough, as the guard’s affirmative rang through to Chuy, Neron shifted into the elegant fur and spots of the Attuned beside him.

It wasn’t easy at first, to move on four legs, but he still managed it, and a rather clumsy leopard shot out of the door and down the hallway.

RE: Seeking something other than darkness - Chulane - 06-22-2020

It was always a wonder to watch another shift, but to see the man before him fold into the same shift - the identical shift - as his own was something else. The guard murmured his understanding from the other side of the door, and then there was a clouded leopard darting outside and up the hallway, with Chuy hesitating a moment to watch and ensure he got away.

Thinking quickly, he rumpled up the bedcovers and made it seem like someone was in it (he would later recall that Ascended do not sleep, but maybe the guard would also be slow on the uptake). Only when the guard poked his head around the still-open doorway did Chuy shift as well, slipping into the skin with ease, ducking beneath the view of the guard through the doorway, inwardly snickering - if Morgan was alarmed by his actions, he would bear it and take the blame with little remorse. He trusted Neron, and didn't believe the man deserved all that he was being dealt to him, at least not long-term.

[say]'Head to a training room,'[/say] he called to the mirror shifted Ascended, mentally nudging him to a direction. [say]'This shift can climb pretty high, the rafters make for some fun exploring,'[/say] he offered, knowing from experience that the rafters can indeed bear the weight of at least one clouded leopard with no problem.

RE: Seeking something other than darkness - Neron - 06-23-2020

In the wild abandon of instinct and sudden claws and tail and senses, hearing Chulane’s voice echo in his mind barely registered as strange. Sending a pulse of agreement back, Neron rounded the corner of the hallway and prowled towards one of the aforementioned training rooms. At first he had been clumsy on four paws, quite like a cub in that regard, but a long stretch of floor and a few minutes to run made all the difference in the world.

[say]This is something else,[/say] he said, sounding quietly awed and slowing his steps as they approached one of the doors. Nosing it open, Neron slunk inside to peer up at the high rafters, at the open training space. [say]You’ve climbed these before, then?[/say] he asked, glancing over his shoulder to Chuy; while the shift couldn’t smile, the vet would certainly get the impression of amusement from the ex-Warden.

RE: Seeking something other than darkness - Chulane - 06-23-2020

The former Warden might've felt a pulse of amusement and approval radiating from Chuy, as he watched the somewhat clumsy steps turn more confident and competent, as he gave in to the instincts and let the leopard within run free. He was reminded of his own first few times shifting, of his awkward gaits that looked more like a human running around in leopard skin rather than a leopard taking confident strides and revelling in the world around him.

[say]'It's pretty fucking awesome,'[/say] he rumbled through the bond, letting the simple joy that this form brought him fill the bond that linked them. If he could, he'd smirk back at Neron, but let the bond communicate a sense of devious amusement in place of the curved lips. [say]'Gotta find something to do when locked up for a week.'[/say] He said by way of confirmation.

With a decisive huff between feline nostrils, he pushed himself into action again, running towards the sturdy shelves he had used previously, leaping to their tallest shelf in one easy stride, before then immediately leaping to the nearest rafter beam. He grasped the timber with powerful forelegs, muscles bunching as he pulled the rest of himself up, a chuffed sort of smugness emanating from him as he looked down over the edge to the leopard below. [say]'Coming?'[/say]

RE: Seeking something other than darkness - Neron - 06-23-2020

Chuy’s excitement was contagious, and Neron padded after him as he headed deeper into the training room. [say]I suppose so,[/say] he said, amused - given that he had spent most of his time thus far buried in a book, it was quite nice to get a bit of exercise. Though, to see the leopard jump so easily from shelf to rafter was a little more of a challenge than expected, and his laughter echoed through the Attuned bond as he approached the same shelf, tilting his head and twitching his whiskers.

[say]I’ll give it my best shot,[/say] he said, trying to judge his aim. As a brand new leopard, the result was nothing short of adorable; hunkering into a crouch, fluffy tail waggling, Neron spent a second or two figuring it all out before springing up. He had to scrabble to get onto the shelf, shaking himself off and turning to look up at the rafter next.

[say]Cats land on their feet right?[/say] He scoffed, before taking the leap as well. His claws sank into the wood, and though it was much less elegant than his friend, he did manage to pull himself up. [say]Phew.[/say]

RE: Seeking something other than darkness - Chulane - 06-24-2020

[say]'That's it!'[/say] he called happily as Neron made the first leap atop the shelf, his sentiment of general encouragement seeping through the bond now forged between them. Amusement bubbled up as Neron made the age-old observation of cats always landing on their feet. [say]'Well done!'[/say] he said when the ascended joined him on the beam - he had moved further along it to ensure the other had sufficient room.

The timber creaked beneath them, but it was sturdy, and had been helping to hold up the beautiful vaulted ceilings here for some time - they were hardly going to budge now.

[say]'It can take some getting used to,'[/say] his deep tones rumbled through the bond, [say]'the key is to let the leopard do most of the driving. You just… give it suggestions.'[/say] There was so much more to it than that, but Chuy was trying to give his guidance once step at a time style.

[say]'See if you can keep up,'[/say] he challenged the ascended, a soft yowl pushing out through whiskered lips. Then he was off again, his piercing azure gaze sighting out a line of travel that would enable him to move swiftly along the beam, before taking a powerful leap to then springboard off the wall, twist, and land on the next beam over. Panting slightly from the effort, he looked over to Neron again, wondering if he would take up the challenge set before him.

RE: Seeking something other than darkness - Neron - 06-26-2020

Peering over the edge of the beam as it creaked and seeming satisfied that it would hold, the sense of pride from Neron was unmistakable through the bond. It could hardly be helped - after following Chuy he had already determined that he was like a clumsy cub in comparison, but the encouragement through their mental link couldn’t be denied. [say]Suggestions, huh? Let’s see how well that works out.[/say] His laughter echoed across to the other man, and already the ex-Warden was shuffling along the beam to see what was next in store.

A feat of acrobatics, it turned out, and Chuy’s fellow leopard would watch with a tilted head, tail swooshing over the side of the beam below him. Craning to look up at where his companion was now perched, Neron let out a little huff. [say]I can’t say I expected to be doing this today,[/say] he murmured, before prowling ahead to try out the same trick.

He got the leap right, but his springboard against the wall was amateurish at best, and it meant he was forced to cling to the beam opposite and scrabble up. It left deep gouges in the wood, but hey, he was there. Panting as well, he shook out his fur. [say]Hey, I thought cats slept most of the time,[/say] he said.