Court of the Fallen
Don't let the sun in your heart decay - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Don't let the sun in your heart decay (/showthread.php?tid=3701)

Pages: 1 2

Don't let the sun in your heart decay - Samuel - 06-18-2020

The one nice thing about Longnight (Sam was not sure he would count the parties as 'nice) was that he didn't have to limit when he went out. Usually, since the Voice had neutered his abilities, he was forced to remain inside during the day, the sun suddenly deadly once again. To be able to leave whenever he fancied to go and be with the ocean was a novelty and one he was using a lot, often going to read or just sit on the edge of the pier.

On this occasion he was reading some easy romance novel he'd found for cheap in Haulani, something that he could dip in and out of whenever: it featured a man and a woman, but he secretly tried to twist the words in his mind to imagine himself being held in a muscly pair of arms, maybe arms attached to a certain 'dock worker'...he placed the book down on his knees, dreamily sighing as he stared out over the ocean.

...Then, he heard a distinct 'plop!' as the book fell off his knees and into the sea; Sam watched over it with a face like a slapped fish.

RE: Don't let the sun in your heart decay - Felix - 06-19-2020

For the last time (read: at least 30 times) he’s reminded his mother that he can see the lighthouse, knows where their home is these next two weeks. But as per usual, he’s certainly not going to stick around and wait for things to happen up there. No, he remembers the Port, the area surrounding, the variety of people that intrigue him so incredibly much.

So the young man drifts toward it – most of the way as his bear shift, fuzzy and agile, until he reaches the beach and sands and he turns back into himself – just because he doesn’t know if people around here have seen a bear before. He doesn’t really know a lot of things, if he’s being honest. But he’s trying to learn! Quick steps bring him along the docks to the sands nearby, to the water that he can somewhat see with bonfire flame that glimmers and runs under the docks.

And then there’s a plop, as he begins to wade a small amount into the water – letting the liquid cool warm skin. He’s confused, arms moving to flail a bit as he dives for the book but it’s nearly impossible to see as he fumbles quite like the boy he is. But then, there, he grabs it. And he emerges, tossing the book up onto the pier and hauls himself up, shaking his head of the water. Looking up, he spots a read headed man by the torchlight nearby and offers a small grin. “[say]Don’t suppose it has waterproof pages, huh?[/say]”

RE: Don't let the sun in your heart decay - Samuel - 06-19-2020

Sam had given up on seeing the book again, supposing he would have to make up his own ending for the heroine and her steel-abbed lover; it wouldn't be too much of a loss. As he heard splashing beneath though he looked down and for the second time, saw someone emerging from the water beneath him on the dock. He really had to be carefully about letting his legs hang down.

This time though, instead of the naked form of Zeph rising up to greet him, it was a smiling young boy. His book was thrown up onto the pier and Sam reached for it even though he knew what the inside would look like: a series of black smudges, no more telling the story of love and passion he'd been involved in. [say]"...no, it d-doesn't. Thank you th...though, for g-g-getting it."[/say]

When he looked down at the face of the teenager, Sam frowned; he felt like he recognised him from somewhere, or at least some part of him. [say]"...Do I ...know y-yo-you?"[/say]

RE: Don't let the sun in your heart decay - Felix - 06-20-2020

It wasn’t totally intentional to surprise the Ascended – nor was it intentional that Felix had thought someone would be out this way anyway. As it happened, a happy accident of sorts, while he settles on the edge of the pier and starts to wring out the edges of his shirt and run a hand through shortish dark hair. His dual-toned gaze sweeps back toward Samuel once the thanks is given, the grin still remaining on his face. “[say]You’re welcome![/say]” He chimes both chipperly and somewhat cocky, before he turns to face Samuel a bit more, still wringing out the bits and pieces of his clothes.

The question of whether or not Samuel knows him has him scanning the man before shaking his head. “[say]Don’t think so.[/say]” At least, Felix hadn’t ever seen him before. “[say]I live in the Greatwood. But my mom invited me up to Torchline to stay with her and the Governor.[/say]” A waggle of his eyebrows as if it were a completely amazing perk granted only for him. In reality, they didn’t really have anywhere else to stay, and with Remi and Vervain being so close it only made sense.

RE: Don't let the sun in your heart decay - Samuel - 06-20-2020

Sam shuffled a bit to the side to let Felix dry himself off, looking down to the dock to make sure he'd gotten enough out of the waters way. The last thing he needed at the moment was wet pants.

Felix was so chipper he found it honestly a little grating, but he tried to appreciate that someone around Caido seemed to be happy; it often felt like everyone had a reason to be miserable. Even Zeph, who was one of the more laid back people he'd ever met, came with a tragic backstory and had gained a large wound recently. Positive thinking was something that ought to be cherished.

[say]"The Gr-greatwood?"[/say] He asked, tilting his head as he looked Felix over: he certainly didn't look like a Fae. [say]"...What's it li..like there, nowad-days? I haven't be..been in a while."[/say] No point mentioning why just yet: he was sure Felix would notice the fangs eventually.

As for whether he'd met him before, Sam squinted closer as subtly as he could. [say]"...Who is you-your mother?"[/say]

RE: Don't let the sun in your heart decay - Felix - 06-20-2020

Luckily for Sam, Felix doesn’t know what an Ascended looks like. Doesn’t know what kind of markers are meant for it. And this late at night, with no sun around? Who’s to say Samuel isn’t just another Attuned with a partial shift to add the addition of it? The Ascended is safe for now, and Felix manages to get most of the water out of his clothes before his head is bobbing in agreement to Sam’s question. “[say]Yeah, the Greatwood.[/say]” He repeats, letting his blue and hazel eye linger on Sam once he’s settled. “[say]It’s fine. Usually stick to ourselves and the house unless we’re hunting. Though sometimes I’ll shift and go explore a bit more.[/say]”

But then? Then he’s bragging about the amazing perks of his mother’s connections, and he can’t wipe the shit eating grin off his face when Sam asks who his mother is. Is it possible this stranger knows her too? And by extension, him? Makes him almost think that his status is that of a celebrity of sorts (not like he’d know much about that at all). “[say]My mom’s Vervain Calob.[/say]” He replies easily, that grin still on his face even as his chest puffs out a small amount. “[say]I’m Felix.[/say]”

RE: Don't let the sun in your heart decay - Samuel - 06-21-2020

Sam hadn't been aware that there were humans living in the Greatwood permanently; he wondered if there was anything else going on in there that the Ascended had been kept from. Well, he supposed the Greatwood was allowed to have it's secrets, just as the Ascended were.

[say]"Oh, you-you're Attuned? ...Can I a-ask what your sh..sh...ift is?"[/say] He'd always found it interesting. Secretly, Sam sometimes liked to look at Attuned and see if he could identify within them any features of the animals they could become. Looking at Felix, he imagined something young and full of strong vigour: a stallion in it's prime perhaps, or a large bird? Some kind of big cat?

Hearing the name of Felix's mother, the recognition suddenly slid into space. [say]"Oh! I know Ver-Vervain."[/say] Sam wasn't confident enough to say they were friends, but it was clear from his smile he thought of her fondly. [say]"...Wait..um...ho..how old are you?"[/say] While he wasn't entirely sure of Vervain's age, Felix seemed like a remarkably old child for her to have.

RE: Don't let the sun in your heart decay - Felix - 06-22-2020

He’s surprised that Sam takes a bit of interest in his shift, and he practically preens under the question, flashing a wide grin toward the Ascended. “[say]A bear.[/say]” He offers, drawing his legs up to fold beneath him despite their dampness still – trying to get a better seat before Sam. He doesn’t want to shift yet, too involved with the conversation and the idea of keeping Sam interested enough in talking to him. After all, it’s his first trip to Torchline. Might as well make some acquaintances, right?

But as he comments that he knows his mother, his brows lift a bit in his own quiet surprise though the grin remains. “[say]Oh, you do?[/say]” He asks, tilting his head very much like the boy he was. But when he asks how old he is, that’s where things get complicated and he barks out a bit of laughter, arms moving back to rest his hands on the dock to lean back on. “[say]Well, I’m sixteen I think, but… Technically I’m two?[/say]” He looks up to the thick black sky, brows furrowing a bit. “[say]I went to a shrine when I was really little and messed around and something appeared and just kinda grew me up.[/say]”

RE: Don't let the sun in your heart decay - Samuel - 06-22-2020

[say]"A bear?"[/say] Sam repeated, so surprised he managed to get the words out without stuttering (he had begun to wonder if that was something to do with his confidence when he spoke, but it was hard to test when he felt so insecure all the time right now). He watch Felix shift to better face him and did the same, fine to chat along with a family member of Vervain's for the time being: and if anyone were to try and cause trouble with them, a bear would probably be a good deterrent.

He nodded to confirm he did know Vervain, though he was still wondering how Felix could possibly be her son: with a laugh, Felix explained. [say]"...Oh. Um."[/say] Personally, he thought that sounded horrible; Sam had not had a good childhood, but to just zoom right from infancy to teenage years with no inbetween? There had to be so much about the world that vastly confused Felix.. [say]"Ho..how do you f-ff-feel? Grown up? Do you li-like it?"[/say]

RE: Don't let the sun in your heart decay - Felix - 06-23-2020

“[say]Yeah![/say]” Felix chimes with that very same grin on his face. He spends a moment considering Sam, considering the opportunity to shift before the Ascended and show him, but theyre still talking and it seems rather rude unless Sam could shift too. At least that’s what he’d learned from the fae and a few other Attuned’s he’d met. So he refrains, shifting to face Sam a bit more as the bookmaker does the same to him. “[say]I’ll show ya later.[/say]” He promises with that equally wide, excited grin.

And then, on the topic of his mother and what had happened – listening perhaps a bit too eagerly to see how Sam reacts to such a surprise and shift to the conversation. But he asks a question that Felix hadn’t really thought about too much – what it was like to miss out on a lot of his growing years, a lot of his growth, and he mulls it over as he purses his lips in a slightly exaggerated pose. “[say]Yeah, I like it.[/say]” He finally decides, shoulders rising and falling in a shrug. “[say]I… Don’t think mom likes it since she missed out on a lot but. I think it’s nice.[/say]” He manages, looking back at Sam with that easy smile. “[say]Are you attuned too?[/say]”

RE: Don't let the sun in your heart decay - Samuel - 06-24-2020

Sam would have been rather alarmed to sudden be faced with a bear at the end of the pier, so it was a good thing Felix didn't shift: it didn't take much to fray Sam's nerves nowadays, and he wasn't sure just how much he could take.

The way that Felix so easily decided that he liked his accelerated age...Sam wished he could have that kind of immediate calm decision about anything in his life. [say]"Yes, I...im-imagine it must be har...hard for your mother."[/say] He was about to ask how Felix's father had reacted, but as he thought about it he wasn't sure he'd ever met anyone Vervain was involved with, nor had he heard her mention a man: perhaps better to leave it.

[say]"Oh, um. N-no, I'm not."[/say] He shook his head, giving Felix a somewhat forced smile and looking down to the water, rather conspicuously not saying what race he was. [say]"I thi...think it must be wonderful though, t-to be a..able to be something el..else. Freeing, for a while."[/say]

RE: Don't let the sun in your heart decay - Felix - 06-24-2020

There’s a nod given to the comment about his mother, how it had been hard. He hadn’t realized it though, had just suddenly went through growth spurt after growth spurt until he’s here. A teenage boy with a lot of confusion and complex questions that can’t really be answered without the work of learning through it as he grew. And then? Then he focuses on the question at hand – not wanting to put words in his mother’s mouth for how difficult it had been for her despite the fact that Felix truly enjoyed it.

“[say]Oh.[/say]” Felix says simply, lips forming an easy boyish grin. “[say]I only have the one shift, but I heard you can get more. The bear is great, but I think I'd really like to fly.[/say]” He shrugs his shoulders before he stretches his legs out again and falls back along the pier, looking at the inky sky before his head tilts toward Sam. “[say]I don’t know a whole lot of what other people are. Mom’s Abandoned. I’ve met lots of Fae.[/say]” It’s a piss poor attempt at a segue to ask Sam what he is.

RE: Don't let the sun in your heart decay - Samuel - 06-25-2020

It would probably be hard for Felix to see it entirely from his mother's point of view and it really wasn't Sam's business anyway, so he didn't pursue that line of questioning. He could only be glad that his own ageing hadn't been blocked by his Ascension until he had reached his twenties, that he hadn't had to deal with any mismatch of mind and age (or at least, not yet).

[say]"Y-you can de..definitely have more than one."[/say] Sam answered with a laugh, surprised that Felix didn't know that: nearly all his Ascended friends had multiple shifts for flying, swimming or whatever else it was they wanted to do. [say]"I ho..hope you can learn to fff-fly, then. It sounds ex-exciting."[/say] Of course, he actually knew that from experience.

Sam could tell what Felix was trying to do; with a gentle smile he completely changed the subject. [say]"So, d-do you like To..Torchline? Are you plan-planning to visit Halo any t..t..time soon?"[/say]

RE: Don't let the sun in your heart decay - Felix - 06-25-2020

The confirmation of having more than one shift has that grin sparking along Felix’s face again. And he beams it toward Sam, easily, as he nods and proves that he’ll remember that. Maybe when he gets the next one he can seek Sam out, just to tell him that he’s gotten another one – as if to prove that he’d listened and it’d happened. But regardless, he sucks in a deep breath to respond with the content of the idea. “[say]I think so.[/say]” He agrees, looking out over to the water again and spying the bioluminescent waves as they ripple again.

But then he’s trailing off, explaining that Vai is Abandoned and anyone else he’s met has been Fae, wielding both magic and shifts. His father had been missing for far too long, and Felix doesn’t even know where Attuned abilities begin and end. His mother had done the best she could explaining all the possibilities, using Remi as an example long ago, but now? Now he has to figure it out on his own, trying to glean what he can because a cross between a toddler and a teenage mind tends to lean a bit more toward not wanting to ask questions when he should.

“[say]I really like Torchline.[/say]” Felix says easily, swinging his attention back to Sam, not caring that his silent question goes unanswered. “[say]Halo sounds cold. I don’t know anyone there.[/say]” He admits, tilting his head this way and that. “[say]Maybe one day, though. Might be a fun adventure. Have you been to Halo?[/say]” One hazel and one bright blue eye focus on Sam with the question, prepared to absorb any answer he receives.