Court of the Fallen
[DROP] cleverly and quietly - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: [DROP] cleverly and quietly (/showthread.php?tid=3725)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

cleverly and quietly - Random Event - 06-22-2020

Some of the creatures are brash. Some stealthy. Some are voracious while others try and play tricks. There are those who have learned mimicry, those who excel at manipulation..

But there is only who is both patient and clever. Only one who has been hoarding and waiting, biding its time. If you listen closely, you'll hear the toll of a bell deep within your bones, signalling that its time has finally come.

[say]I possess treasures beyond your wildest dreams, if you have the courage to come and claim them...[/say] Its voice sounds like the vast machinations of some long rusted creature. No matter where you are, its tones will reach you. For the ascended, it offers a custom upgrade from some long-dead soul previously claimed. For the attuned, the ability to fit into the form of a lesser mythical creature...for the abandoned, custom upgraded magic. For the accepted? An item to make their mouths water.

For those who rise to the challenge and make their way towards the Spire, they will see not but a seemingly physical shadow, clinging to the sleek spire.

You have 48 hours to join this drop! Remember, there will be a roll to see if you make it to the drop safely, and then a subsequent roll thereafter. The prizes are going to be more OP/better than in other drops because of course there is the chance of death by being outside.

The creature is offering the following:

Anyone capable of shifting: A lesser-mythical creature shift (so nothing hugely impressive like a dragon, but something with magical abilities)
Anyone capable of magic: a custom upgraded magic
Accepted - A cool OP item
Ascended - a super cool upgraded upgrade (oof, that wording).

RE: cleverly and quietly - Wessex - 06-22-2020

Is it any surprise that Wessex is there?

No. No, it is not.

A promise of treasure, even from the likes of the trickiest monsters (and she is well aware that this may be folly), the dare to come and see what’s out there, the biggest mystery and bane of her existence? Goddess, it’s waving every single trigger in her face and she doesn’t have that much self-restraint. Enough to keep herself from seeing if the handcuffs work on Ronin? Yes. Enough to ignore the call of power? No.

Speeding as quickly as she can through the dark, if the Wraith makes it to the Spire quickly, she’ll stand and eye the shadow on the walls, curious and willing to wait it out for a hint of what it wants. Anything to help them next year.

RE: cleverly and quietly - Ronin - 06-22-2020

There was always something in the dark promising power or goodies or other such shit. Honestly, Ronin was less interested in the prizes and more interested in protecting those who might have been drawn there as well. That, after all, was his job this Longnight. So he came, arriving on Wessex’s heels - not such a surprise given that they had been in the same place not to long ago.

The Dark Star looked like hell, and it was only partially due to what had come before. No, the shadow that clung to the Spire, blacker than the black of the night... that brought back a lot of bad memories. Heart thundering in his chest, Ronin stood firm a short distance from Wessex, focusing hard on the light from his antlers, bathing the area around himself in a warm glow.

RE: cleverly and quietly - Amalia - 06-22-2020

Amalia, too, follows the voice less to seek riches and more to defend any who are foolish enough to attempt to brave the dark. Though she warned Deimos not to let any slip into the dark, she has no doubt that some will still try; so she waits, and if and when they escape, walks beside them as a guard.

She hates the Spire and all it stands for; few of her encounters with the structure have been pleasant, and she shudders as she reaches its shadow. She wields her luxere staff, and the dreamfish in her wake sheds further light; illumination comes from her hair as well, and the long qilin tail with flame at its end. On her back is slung her shield and around her neck her charm necklace glistens. She has the crystal with Jigano's healing magic in her pocket.

Hopefully it will not be needed.

Ama will attempt to shield any blows lodged at other PCs who come from the Temple (assuming any do)

RE: cleverly and quietly - Random Event - 06-24-2020

Perhaps it shouldn't surprise those assembled that they make it to the Spire with relatively little in the way of difficulty. Is it because the monster has forbidden any to interfere? Or is it simply because they are basically some of highest luck characters on the site for once, luck is in fact on their side.

A rock is thrown towards Wessex, and though the silence is oppressive, there is something sulky in the gesture. Something that says how dare you be called back to life. How dare you ascend even further? How very dare you. But the rock bounces off of the demigoddess's leg, doing almost no damage.

On the Spire, the creature, arachnid-like in its movements, turns obsidian eyes their way.

[say]"Excellent. Not an innocent among you. This shall make things easier."[/say] It rumbles, with a voice like oil dripping down the side of a ravine. [say]"The way forward can only be opened with blood drawn from a human, but it cannot be your own."[/say]

A door, not before visible, hums to life at the bottom of the Spire. Blue light seeps from its seams, but there isn't a door handle visible.

[say]"Each much spill the blood of another and place it upon the door to enter..."[/say] The creature's gaze seems to move between the three, a grin hidden in the dark. [say]"But as only two of you bleed, one must bleed twice..."[/say]

24 hours or until everyone replies. No order.

RE: cleverly and quietly - Amalia - 06-24-2020

Well. This isn't the pair Amalia may have expected to face the unknown with, but it is who she has: Ronin, half-crazed from the onslaught of the monsters, and Wessex, a woman to whom she once would have trusted her life, whose motives she is now as wary of as the Goddess that she serves. Two demigods, both twice reborn, and a Shield.

What could go wrong?

Part of her screams to retreat. To run away to safety, to flee this place and whatever waits within. But another part is far more frightened that doing so might allow whatever it is to get out- and in Amalia's experience, things locked in the Spire that speak with monster's voices should generally not be allowed to escape and wreak havoc on the world. So she turns to Ronin, extending her arm for him to cut and trusting him not to hurt her too severely. [say]"Well,"[/say] the Shield murmurs softly, [say]"Ready to do something stupid?"[/say]

Silently she adds this addendum, glancing briefly at the Wraith. [say]Whatever is in there, it can't be good. I'm afraid that it might be a trick of the Voice, and I don't... I don't trust Wessex not to let it out. Or to make the choice that protects people, if it comes down to that.[/say]

RE: cleverly and quietly - Wessex - 06-25-2020

Cute rock. It’s kind like the last one thrown at her and while the Wraith isn’t stupid - she knows the monsters are dangerous, this kind of thing makes her want to roll her eyes. Really? They’ve got two beloved of Safrin here and they still have problems with her? She looks up at the shadow and grins grimly. It's really too bad they had to be like this. They could take over the world in a single week together.

It looks like she’s in their hands - or she has to source her own blood. Fully prepared to jump to Whitebrim and cut a criminal if need be, Wessex simply looks between the two of them without saying a word. They have to come to their own decision about whether or not to bleed for her.

If there’s an offer, she’ll take out her own knife and slice as shallowly into one of their arms as she can, enough to draw blood, but not to make healing difficult. Hopefully. Completing her offering in silence. A look offers her thanks. Maybe she’ll be able to repay them once inside. Or maybe she’ll be the monster Amalia thinks her to be, and betray them both.

If there are no offers, she'll do her best to be quick about collecting human blood in Whitebrim; with a biopulse, a jab, a broken cup, and returning to the Spire with the required toll - much colder than when she'd left.

RE: cleverly and quietly - Ronin - 06-25-2020

Of course it’s that kind of deal - Ronin would have been foolish to expect anything less at a time like this. Glancing to Amalia, he smiled weakly and produced a small knife from his waist, reaching out to open a small cut there. [say]”It seems to be the way I live,”[/say] he said softly. Putting his fingers to the blood, he stepped forward and smeared it upon the door, then stepped back to rejoin the other two. It was about at that time that Amalia’s Attuned voice echoed to him, drawing a frown of concern from the Dark Star.

[say]You don’t trust her...?[/say] Ronin sighed deeply. [say]She came to find me in the dark, the same as you did. She watched my back while I slept, gave me a break. I... I don’t have any reason to believe she wouldn’t stand with us if anything happened. I hope that I am proved right.[/say]

Glancing between them, the antlered man, half-mad already from the events that had transpired, held out each arm that they could cut him and put his blood upon the door. [say]”As stupid things go though, this definitely takes the cake.”[/say]

RE: cleverly and quietly - Random Event - 06-25-2020

As blades found flesh and the scent of blood darkened the air, the creature above grinned. As the door opened revealing garish white-blue light, the monster skittered higher up the Spire. Should they look, they'd catch the sight of long limbs, plentiful in number and grotesquely long.

As they enter into the Spire, rather than the stairs that twist their way up, there is only flattened stone. Almost like a large smooth slide that twists down the internal shaft of the Spire where the stairs ought to be, wherever they are now, it is not the Spire they have all been in before. The door closes behind them, the grooves disappearing entirely with a grinding sort of crunch.

There is no way out. Only up.

There is a platform about 50 feet up. Being forced to climb the entire way would be nearly impossible, not without significant assistance.

24 hours, or until all of you have posted.

RE: cleverly and quietly - Wessex - 06-25-2020

Though she’s been here a hundred times, this Spire isn’t anything like the Spire she knows. Wessex allows the others to enter first, if they want to, and then follows, eyes narrowing in the white-blue light. It's a bit worrisome, but the unknown's never stopped the Wraith before. She glances to both of of her companions and then up to the platform; an easy teleport, it’s a good thing she didn’t have to go to Whitebrim, otherwise she’d (they'd?) be shit out of luck again.

Unsure if the Dark Star can do his cloud-thing in here, Wessex offers him his hand.[say] “Want a lift?”[/say] If he agrees, she’ll say[say] “Brace yourself, might be disorienting”[/say] and then take him up with her, confident that Amalia can handle herself by flying.

-------------

Wessex offers to teleport Ronin up to the platform with her.

RE: cleverly and quietly - Amalia - 06-25-2020

[say]It's not that.[/say] How can a lifetime of complicated relationship be summed up in one silent exchange? How can she possibly explain her concerns to Ronin? [say]I do trust her- she helped raise me- but she'll always choose the Voice.[/say] Just as Amalia has sworn to choose Safrin, and the Old Gods, they stand on different sides.

But it does not matter - blood is spilled regardless, Amalia using a sharp claw to pierce her friend's skin. And the place they are in they are in together, all three of them, differences in background and faith and creed aside. Far above a platform rises; Amalia turns, intending to ask Ronin how he'll reach it, but Wessex is already there. Trying to meet the older woman's eyes the Shield nods her understanding. [say]"I'll meet you both up there."[/say]

Then she shifts, taking wing as a starry owl and flying up into the cursed building, or whatever version of it this is.

Owlalia flies up

RE: cleverly and quietly - Ronin - 06-25-2020

In they go, to the belly of the beast. Ronin wondered what it would have been like to enter the Spire before the barrier popped open - he had never been alive for that part. Either way, this was something completely different. Offering a weak smile to Amalia, Ronin nodded as she made to fly up. [say]I’ll always choose people,[/say] he sent back to her, before glancing between Wessex and the platform.

[say]”I’d appreciate that,”[/say] he said, nodding at the caution and taking the offered hand. There was flicker which was like being everywhere and nowhere at once, and he had to stop from staggering too much as they arrived at the top of the platform. [say]”Now that’s a neat trick,”[/say] he said.

RE: cleverly and quietly - Random Event - 06-25-2020

One of the windows dotting the outside of the Spire (But wait, the Spire had no windows...just where are you?) darkens as the creature presses its face against the dusty glass. Clearly, it isn't pleased with the amount of teamwork being employed.

Down below where the trio has just come from, another door opens, presumably to the basement (if the former structure of the Spire is to be relied upon). Deep within there is a guttural cry, a plea for mercy, and the sounds of chains clanging against a stone wall.

The platform upon which the three stand begins to tilt downwards, threatening to throw them off. Above them there is a door, though this one has a pad not unlike the ones in the original iteration of the Spire. Those that, for you all with short memories, could only be opened by an ascended. The jump is about 8 feet to the platform above.

Will you go up, or down? 24 hours

RE: cleverly and quietly - Amalia - 06-25-2020

Well, Amalia's choice on the matter should be obvious to anyone who knows her at all.

She shifts back to human form and lands on he platform, but it is not a shape she will hold for long. The pleading, desperate groan for mercy catches her attention immediately; she turns wide eyes to her companions, already resolved in her course.

[say]"If we go back down, can you teleport up again?"[/say] the Shield asks grimly of Wessex. If only she had a dragon shift, a manticore, something useful She does not want to abandon her companions; nor does she want to leave the tortured soul. Hesitating a moment longer, the Shield begins to shift. [say]"Either way, I'm going to see what's down there. I don't know how we'll get them out, but... we have to try. I have to try. I'll let you know what I find."[/say]

Amalia flies down to the door.