Court of the Fallen
[Training] so just realize you have a curable curse - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: [Training] so just realize you have a curable curse (/showthread.php?tid=4241)

Pages: 1 2

so just realize you have a curable curse - Loren - 09-18-2020

Even Loren was starting to suspect there might be something wrong with him. He was draped in many layers of furs, including his own, a metallic gold along his arms and legs, with the hint of a darker reddish brown mane poking out from his neck. His head and face were human though.

Shivering, he stared into the fire. The room reeked of the scent of unwashed bodies, dried blood, burnt flesh, and sickness. His hair was matted to his head, and his minimal clothing was ragged and stained. His skin was pale looking, causing the scars on his hands and face to stand out starkly.

Astra was curled up next to him. Every once in a while, she'd lift her head and bleat at him. At that point he'd reach out and pat her head. However, his eyes were fixed on the flickering flames.

Wessex

RE: so just realize you have a curable curse - Wessex - 09-19-2020

Believe it or not, there was a plan. Of sorts. It wasn’t a very good plan, but it was a plan.

But the first problem is that Loren no longer lives in the Palace, which made her initial plan to pop unexpectedly into his room rather impossible. On to plan B, which was also difficult to enact because although Wessex cannot lose weight and although Eirachi’s magic keeps her a little cooler than the others might be feeling, she can be rather… scary when she isn’t paying attention. Scary eventually turns out to be an effective tactic and she finds out where Loren is now living.

Shadow cloak on, she peeks in through the window and sees him huddled before a fire. Before her very eyes, the fire seems to grow, bouncing out of its nest and into the room, beckoning to the Wraith in seductive twists and turns of its flame-tendrils, cutting the Firebrand out until all that exists is the light and the source and a very strong, insistent urge to dance with the fire. To hold it close and whisper sweet nothings.

She barges in through the door with a savage kick and a manic look, reaching for a fire person in the middle of the room.

RE: so just realize you have a curable curse - Loren - 09-19-2020

Joke was on Wessex and her "plans", because this wasn't Loren's home. Loren didn't have a home, or even a permanent place to stay, since the Palace exploded. For now, he was squatting in empty homes. At the moment, the guards had managed to corral him into this one.

Regardless, he liked it there by the fire. So when the door barged open he whirled, furs falling from him as he stood up (kind of: it was more like a controlled anti-fall). Astra bleated and retreated to the corner of the room.

Hands twisting into facsimiles of claws, he shrieked. [say]"No! It's mine!"[/say] And then magic exploded out of him, boosted by the mageglass he kept on him at all times. Everything around him froze as he filled the air with needle sharp icicles that he sent wheeling through the air towards the front door and the living shadow that had broken it down.

RE: so just realize you have a curable curse - Wessex - 09-19-2020

It seems like a reflex now, the way she uses the re-resonance; grabbing on to the magical lifeline and throwing up her own wall of ice in front of her. She crouches down behind it, eyes scrunched tight against the hail of missiles. It seems to be enough to keep the icicles from hitting her though they do destroy the barrier in the process, ice shards littering the floor in what might otherwise be beautiful, shiny explosions.

Hissing and fangs bared, Wessex throws a biopulse towards Loren, fire all but forgotten as the animal in her breaches the surface of sanity and real, metal claws match human ones. Whatever her mission was before is replaced by the need to dominate, to take, and to win.

For now.

RE: so just realize you have a curable curse - Loren - 09-19-2020

The icy projectiles are met by more ice, a barrier that blocks them. Of course, Loren's own magic, boosted as it was overcame it, but not enough to damage the shadow monster. And it was a monster, he could see now, with claws and a twisted grin.

And then something gripped him, something that caused him to fall to the ground in agony and his body to seize up. But even with that, with his body no longer under his control and his mind fuzzy with illness and biopulse, his magic still responds, instinct and training taking over where everything else failed him.

If ice hadn't worked, it was time to try some fire. Some glorious, beautiful fire.

A phoenix appeared in the air above him, wings and body of fire. It let out a piercing cry and dove for his assailant. As it did, its wings brushed the walls, leaving scorch marks and embers and smaller blazes behind. Astra, seeing all this, bleated again, and huddling in the corner, shivering with fear.

RE: so just realize you have a curable curse - Wessex - 09-22-2020

Gods, the phoenix is both what she’s dreamed of and the thing that would kill her, one viral desire only overrun by the deep, deep instincts and the hint of boiling fluid.

Maybe it’s her tether to the Voice that keeps her from killing herself in the flames, but as the fire-bird comes for her, she opens her arms to it and then reels backwards. Off balance? Throwing herself back? Who knows, who knows, but the summoned beast swoops over her and she laughs, the sides of the cloak falling open to reveal the demigod. There are no shadows to hide in now, with such a big source of light in the room. But her eyes follow it like an addict’s, her mouth open in awe.

[say] “Firebrandhands,”[/say] she exhales,[say] “has the metals and She needs it.”[/say] Rolling over on to her stomach, Wessex suddenly reaches out and imperiously makes a demand of Loren, sounding for the first time, perhaps, like an utterly entitled, enraged Queen.

[say] “GIVE IT TO ME!”[/say]

RE: so just realize you have a curable curse - Loren - 09-22-2020

As the phoenix completely missed the shadow monster, Loren snarled. Thankfully, whatever had caused his muscles to seize and his mind to freeze seemed to have eased up. Rolling onto his back, the room spun and lights danced in his eyes.

However, the dark figure was still there, apparently distracted by the bird of fire. The flames almost caught his attention as well, but he wrenched his eyes away from it. Instead, he struck.

A torrent of water blasted out from him. He was attempting to blow the figure out of the room entirely through the open doorway, fire hose style. It had the unfortunate (in his mind) of dousing the blaze that had begun to lick up the walls of the building.

Of course, then the cloak fell and Wessex appeared.

His eyes widened but his attack was already in the air and he didn't have the strength on inclination to pull it back. [say]"Wraithex? Why are you here? Who's she? Star shield lady already came for the metal."[/say] He shook his head.

RE: so just realize you have a curable curse - Wessex - 09-25-2020

Again, instincts preserve her as the water comes to wash away her sin before she can capture the Firebrand - ah, but Wessex is unsaveable, didn’t you know that? - and she teleports, instead. Aiming to land directly behind him, with her never-before-used-handcuffs (what a shame) in her hand, it’s only Loren speaking that stops her from trying to wrestle him into the cuffs.

Wraithex? Mmmm, yes, that sounds like her. Must be her. And the question pings something inside her, something that makes her eyes light up and the battle drift off into a distant memory.

[say] “I need it. She says she might know what the metal is. I have to - no, the Shield can’t have it! I have to - have to -”[/say]

Pitiful, she sinks to her knees on the floor of the soaking, scorched room.[say] “Please?”[/say] she asks Loren, with all the fervency her mind can muster, half-knowing what she asks for.[say] "I'l give it back."[/say]

RE: so just realize you have a curable curse - Loren - 09-26-2020

As Wessex disappeared, Loren's eyes widened. When she spoke behind him, though, he whirled. A thick sheet of ice started rising between them, and he attempted to wall the woman in preventing her from moving towards him.

When it was high enough, he shoved it forward, aiming to pin her against the actual wall. [say]"Wraithex fights dirty,"[/say] he snarled. Astra bleated and darted out the now empty doorway, making her escape while she could.

The healer began backing away from Wessex. Pausing as she sank to the floor, he frowned. [say]"How would she know what it was?"[/say] He rubbed his temples. [say]"Star shield came for it. But, but, but, they, the pretty flower sexy god, they told me Tanau found it underneath. Which means it came from somewhere? And it, I was supposed to return, so there's more of it. Right?"[/say] Brow furrowing, he chewed his lower lip.

RE: so just realize you have a curable curse - Wessex - 09-26-2020

As the wall comes towards her, she can only use his magic against him to break it, fracture it, send it spilling on to the floor again before she sinks down and pleads. There is exhaustion and frustration in her voice; Wessex is strong but even she cannot endure this unrelenting thing.

[say] “She knows. She is New, and makes things and what if the flower is wrong? What if… “[/say] she loses her train of thought, caught in the sparkles of the ice as she arranges the mess around her into piles.[say] “What if we melt down there?”[/say] she picks up a small shard and then shows the Firebrand - it melts, her body warmer than it usually is, even in Halo. There is a decision to make her, which is difficult for the two of them, who have rarely ever agreed before.[say] “I can melt with you.”[/say] A heavy pause, as she considers the implications, completely forgetting that they're 'safe' from the heat in the Climb.[say] “After. I’ll take us so quick.”[/say]

As Wessex broke down Loren's wall he growled at her. It subsided into a coughing fit and he clutched his sore throat. [say]"Dirty Wraithex."[/say] As she rearranged the ice, he sank to the ground as well and started crawling toward her.

[say]"Do you think the shard is new? And we need to find out what is it?"[/say] Frowning, he rubbed the back of his hand against his sweaty forehead, then flung the moisture into the corner and glared at it.

When the icicle in her hand melted, his brow furrowed. It began to freeze again, and the rest of the ice crept around to wrap around her hands. Meeting her gaze, he continued to gnaw on his lips.

Then he nodded just once. [say]"Melting isn't so bad. It's just a change of shape, and Frey already told me I was becoming."[/say] He rocked back into a cross legged position. [say]"But I'd prefer not to melt alone."[/say] He looked into his lap.

[say] “That feels good,”[/say] Wessex sighs, letting the ice creep up her hand. What little she can feel tempers the feeling of an overheating machine - that in itself is already less extreme due to Eirachi’s magic. Or so she thinks. Big Reasons and Big Causes are all very beyond this version of the Wraith right now.

[say] “Yeeeeees. My Lady will know. She knows lots of things,”[/say] the Wraith repeats, much like her other current mantra.[say] “She… learn mores. New things. And She is worried.”[/say] Putting the ice-hand to her head to brush away a stray strand of hair, she begins to gnaw on her lip too. Decisions, decisions, and then there’s the melting possibility of course.

[say] “I’ll melt with you if you share the shard.”[/say] Yes, that’s a good compromise. Offering her frozen hand for a handshake (not that it means much in their deliriums), Wessex, in her own way, continues to protect the families.

When Wessex revealed it felt good, Loren frowned. Brow furrowing he took a deep breath. Every little bit of water in the room froze and he sighed with relief. [say]"That's better."[/say] He pulled his knees into his chest as he began to shiver.

[say]"How would she know more than them? And they weren't worried. Just said see and wait."[/say] Resting his chin on his knees, a finger began tapping against his leg.

Sighing, he shook his head, looking comical with it still on his knees. [say]"I can't give it to you, remember?"[/say] Then he stilled. Lifting a hand, he turned it back and forth staring at it.

Extending it to the Wraithex (though not shaking hers just yet), he tilted his head to one side. [say]"But Frey said it was inside of me already. So maybe if you take me with you, and we put me back where it came from, we can find out more?"[/say]

On a good day she might have entered into a philosophical debate with Loren about how the Old Gods are stagnant and the New Gods make progress. She might have said that Frey and Rae are the most hands-off and to seek advice from them when dealing with a disease wasn’t the best plan of action. She might have said many things, none of which would get Loren to give her the shard, because she - in her normal state - is not nice enough.

But this Wessex? This Wessex is far more pliable. Far more amenable to compromise.

[say] “It’s in all of us,”[/say] she starts, thinking of the ones she knows are sick and ticking them off on her fingers.[say] “You, me, Sam, Amun, Neron, Nate, Sunjata - “[/say] tilting her head, the Wraith seems to be thinking very intently, but when no other names come to mind, she ends the list there.[say] “It’s new because the family is sick. The Old Gods couldn't do... that."[/say] Wagging her fingers at him, Wessex taps at her head and her chest,[say] “Systems saaaay… not - right? Then I forget.”[/say]

The Wraith cradles her head in her ice-hand and regular hand. Thinking is hard. Why is it so hard?

[say] “Yours. Then Mine.”[/say]