Court of the Fallen
(SE) talk some sense to me - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: (SE) talk some sense to me (/showthread.php?tid=4300)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

(SE) talk some sense to me - Sunjata - 10-01-2020

If he’s honest, there’s something satisfying about the dragon shift that lingers in his skin – in the way he can show it off with the lightning for those that try to determine him and his husband as a meal. It’s less satisfying to be here in the heat, however, with the bursting lava and trails that he hopes doesn’t harm Nate. He almost misses the cold of Halo on their trek before arriving here. But they try to make most of their trek when it’s dark, or close to it, when it’s easier for the lava to be seen in its glowing edges.

It helps to have his eyes partially shifted to the shift of his that sees in the dark best, hand clinging to Nate’s as they drift down into the tunnels further and further – alert and wary. “[say]You alright, Skatjie?[/say]” He murmurs, giving his husband’s hand an easy squeeze when they begin to drop into a large chamber of black, feet slipping briefly along the slick floor.

RE: (SE) talk some sense to me - Nate - 10-02-2020

It’s nice, being out here with Sunjata. Not quite a honeymoon, but Nate could be fooled, with the warmth, the way his husband shows off his new shift now and then, chasing away shadows imagined and real. Nate finds he doesn’t mind being taken care of too much, not right now. Sure, he could do without the lava, and he flinched every time it bubbles or hisses near them, but that’s just a small detail.

Somewhere deep down, Nate knows this is t all fun and games, as much as he’s trying to, delusion feeding into itself over and over. He’s not stupid. This is where the water is, where the flowers are, though the water hadn’t worked and he had no reason to believe anything else would either. It’s easier to focus on the nice parts of this, easier to slip into the daydream of vacation.

The caves have been dark this whole time, but as they continue, delve deeper down, the walls begin to grow black, almost glassy; the floor shiny, slick. [say]”How could I not be?”[/say] He rumbles softly in response to Sunjata’s question, scuffing his boot against the floor with a thoughtful expression on his face. [say]”Can we sit?”[/say] The question has an innocent bent to it, almost too intentional to be natural. Without waiting for an answer, Nate drops to the ground, and stares up expectantly at the other man.

And if Sunjata sits, well, then Nate’s going to test something, is going to push as hard as he can off the floor and see if the slant and the glassy ground is enough to slide them all the way to the tunnels end.

RE: (SE) talk some sense to me - Sunjata - 10-02-2020

For a few moments, he takes in their surroundings – slit pupils finally shifting his attention over toward Nate when his question’s aired. “[say]Just want to be sure you’re not too warm.[/say]” He murmurs softly, offering an easy smile even if internally he’s worried about everything about this. The last thing he wants is for his husband to spontaneously combust while they were here in the Climb.

And seeing as he was relatively healthy for the time being, even if he can feel the familiar pangs of the exhaustion settling in his bones already, he tries to ignore it. “[say]Here?[/say]” He asks, when Nate certainly answers. He drops to sit along the shining, glossy floor, and confusion springs to life around Sunjata’s mind.

But he goes to sit, because of course he does, and as soon as they’re somewhat settled, he watches as Nate pushes hard, dragging him along the glossy ground with a surprising amount of speed. He’s not ready for it, a sort of ‘oh shit’ moment that has Sunjata shifting to that of his bat shift and clinging to Nate on the trip down the tunnel, watching the shimmering of the walls fade in and out the faster and further they go.

It works, it works, and there’s no room for worry in Nate at all as they begin to pick up speed. His laughter echoes around them, bouncing off the walls until it sounds like the caves are filled with gleeful copies of Nate. This is even better than he’d thought it was going to be, even if Sunjata seems to disagree, a furry shape suddenly in his arms, clinging to him. Nate leans in to rub his cheek against the bats head as they swirl around a corner, Nate swirling so he’s hurtling down the caves back first instead of feet first, and for the first time an inkling of doubt worms it’s way into his head.

And as soon as it does, his ride comes to a sudden end, the cave ending in what seems like a fathomless cavern, the roof either too dark or too far away to be seen. He slides for some distance across the ground, losing enough speed that by the time he crashed into the obsidian block, it just knocks the wind out of him. Or, would, if there was wind in him to begin with.

Nate is dazed for a moment though, his arms tightening carefully around the fragile shape cling to his chest. [say]”That was fun.”[/say] He murmured, making no attempt to rise. He doesn’t know if it’s the sickness, or if he’s somehow still susceptible to dizziness, but his head is spinning, the world tilting with it.

He’s quietly glad that Nate isn’t worried – because internally Sunjata’s freaking the fuck out. He doesn’t know whether there’s a pit of lava awaiting them at the end of it, if they might crash and splat against a wall, or whatever else might happen. For now, though, Nate’s cheek brushes against his head and his little clawed and winged hands clutch Nate tighter. If Nate had a way of sensing the Attuned bond, he’s sure there’d be the never-ending roar of anxiety drowning it.

At least Nate’s having fun, though, as evidenced by the laughter. It’s really the only thing Sunjata focuses on, especially when they’ve turned and it’s Nate’s back to wherever the end of the tunnel is. They slide along, further and further, Sunjata’s heart thundering internally, when they begin to slow to a more manageable speed.

And then they hit something.

Nate’s still clinging to him, but he shifts back to himself, sitting in Nate’s lap and facing him, panting as he tries to regain his breath and orienting himself, hands rising to rest on Nate’s cheeks to stroke his cheekbones gently. “[say]I’m so dizzy right now, I hope you know that.[/say]” He offers, a light laugh leaving him as he realizes that Nate’s okay, that they’re both okay.

[say]”Oh good.”[/say] Nate has to swallow a laugh to get the words out, and very nearly chokes on it, his voice squeaky. [say]”It would be bad if it was just me.”[/say] His one eye all but glitters in the dark, and he leans forward, slipping out of the hands on his face, meaning to press a kiss to Sunjata’s lips, but missing, just a little, and hitting the corner of his mouth instead. Another giggle bubbles out of Nate, both arms rising to wrap around the other man, holding him steady and pressing in against his chest.

Sunjata would hold him close, until the spinning stops, until the world was somewhat steady again. It’s taken him some time to get to the point, but now, Nate is willing to lean completely on the other man, to give in and let someone else watch over him. His head drops to his husbands shoulder, eye closing as he nestles in. [say]”Where are we anyway?”[/say] As if Sunjata will know better than him, as if they haven’t just been wandering, and hoping to come across something.

It’s still stiflingly warm, still blessedly dark, and Nate doesn’t hear anything immediately concerning, all of his concerns fading away easily, convincing him to stay curled up a touch longer, his arms tightening around Sunjata.

Nate’s laughter is infectious, a small half-smirk remaining on Sunjata’s face, slit pupils focusing on his husband's gaze, watching as he leans forward, through the hands placed at his cheeks, and Sunjata ends up wrapping his arms around Nate’s shoulders, nuzzling into the kiss gently. And after a few moments, Nate’s arms are around him too and he winds his fingers through Nate’s hair, amusement trickling through him.

They sit like that for a while and his head leans in against Nate’s on his shoulder when he hears the question. “[say]I’m not sure.[/say]” He murmurs softly, pulling his head back a bit to gaze around them, looking at the obsidian pews and the stone in the center, leaning back to try and look around the pew they’d slid into. He’s not sure what it looks like to him, but he turns back to Nate and leans forward, a kiss pressed to his husband's lips gently, before he pulls away and tries to tug Nate to his feet.

“[say]What’s it look like to you?[/say]” He asks, intertwining his fingers with Nate’s, trying not to slip along the floor.

Nate presses in further against Sunjata, soft, contended sounds leaving him at the fingers running through his hair, his favourite form of tenderness. Kisses are pressed to the attuned as he leans back, looks around the room they’re in, and comes back with a wholly unsatisfying answer, Nate huffing a little as he’s pulled up, in for a kiss, then up, up to his feet.

What does it look like to him? Nate’s one eyed gaze roams over the endless dark cavern, the slabs scattered haphazardly around, the pedestal in the middle, and wrinkles his nose. [say]”It looks like church.”[/say] His head tips back to stare into the fathomless void, trusting Sunjata to move him safely, and not worrying at all about the steady ness of his feet. [say]”Dark church.”[/say] It reminds him of his childhood, though it’s not nearly as extravagant as the churches from his memory. [say]”...accidental church.”[/say] He appends one final time, letting his chin drop down to his chest again.

Much as he wants to hate this place on principle, something about it feels somewhat familiar, almost comforting. It’s not a thought he’s ever associated with church before, so this has to be something else, right? Nate hums, then takes a step closer to the heart of it, to the obsidian basin.

Brows furrow with the mention of a church, head tilting a bit as he tries to consider it. They didn’t have churches on Korofi, at least… Not ones that worshipped otherworldly gods. But there were gatherings with pews much like this, ones that important political figures often visited – considered to be gods walking among them, chosen to fight to the top to be as close as possible to one.

He was supposed to be one of those, but as the days go on the more he’s thankful he’s not anywhere near that status. He has everything he wants, everything he needs, aside from the sickness vanquished from his and Nate’s bodies and minds. But he keeps Nate close as he continues on, looking around and through the pews as Nate rattles off a ‘dark’ church and then an ‘accidental’ church.

There’s a hum as he considers it, following Nate as he begins to step toward the obsidian basin, his hand still interlocked with Nate’s. “[say]To worship, maybe?[/say]” He asks quietly, unsure and uncertain of whether or not it was an important factor or a happy coincidence. He doesn’t understand the connection with the obsidian, but he’s there for support regardless. “[say]They’re lava tunnels, maybe… It just formed this way?[/say]” He considers carefully, stepping up beside Nate and looking over to his husband with a soft smile. "[say]A... Happy accidental church?[/say]"

Slow steps continue towards the basin, Nate nodding as he methodically moves closer and closer. [say]”Worship what?”[/say] He wonders aloud, offering a suggestion to himself a moment later. [say]”The Voice, she has the same shiny dark stone, but... this is more than I’ve ever seen.”[/say] They pass close enough to one of the ‘pews’ that Nate can lean over, run his hand along its warm surface. [say]”I think it’s alive.”[/say] Thinks it’s hungry, though Nate knows better than to voice that thought, unable to explain the steps leading up to it.

Turning suddenly to look at Sunjata, though his gaze doesn’t draw away from the centre of the cavern until everything else is facing his husband, Nate cocks his head. [say]”Lava makes tunnels?”[/say] Another curious glance is thrown around the room, considering it anew, before his gaze settles back on the basin. Even if everything else is, [say]”That’s on purpose.”[/say] His free hand rises, points at it, and it feels dramatic, feels right. [say]”It’s waiting.”[/say] For what though, he can’t say.

His steps pause, and Nate looks around them again, though this time it’s deliberate, almost furtive. Shadows or spirits, it’s impossible to tell, but something has caught his attention, some shiver down his spine, some sudden sense of unease, where before his placid happiness had been unshakeable.

“[say]One of the gods…?[/say]” Sunjata questions, hearing his voice echo in the cavern, attempting to keep his voice low enough it doesn’t chime back at him and warp his accent the way it seemed to. Steel eyes watch as Nate’s fingers trail along the obsidian stone benches, listening and focusing intensely, breath hitching a bit in the back of his throat as Nate mentions it’s alive.

He’s only been healthy for a few days now, he’s not sure what to believe and what not to believe that falls from Nate’s lips. But he tries to read between the lines.

His husband turns suddenly and Sunjata falters in his step, sliding a bit more along the glassy surface until he comes to a stop. “[say]I think it does.[/say]” Though as he thinks on it, he’s not entirely sure. But he focuses on the basin at the same time Nate does, watching a pale hand point to it. “[say]What’s it waiting for?[/say]” This question is quieter, steps pulling him closer to the basin, finding a silent urge inside to touch it though he refrains, Safrin’s star tattoos on his arms swirling with his uncertainty.

He glances back up toward the Ascended, brows furrowed in a small amount of concern, moving around to meet back with Nate and offer support wherever he can. “[say]Is it bad?[/say]”

All Nate does in response to the suggestion is purse his lips, offer a thoughtful hum. He doesn’t know everything about the gods, and he will be the first to admit it, but this place feels different to the gods, deeper, even more difficult to understand. Being here feels like another world, like when they finally leave, they will find no time has passed. The stutter in Sunjata’s breathing has the ascended stiffening, just a touch, glad that he’d not shared his extended thought.

Sliding right along with Sunjata when he turns, a smile comes to Nate’s lips. [say]”It makes sense.”[/say] Lava had changed the tunnels under Torchline, hadn’t it? Why wouldn’t it be able to forge entirely new paths as well?

It seems to take Nate a moment to register the next soft question, but when it does he hesitates, takes in a shuddering breath. [say]”Something specific. I...”[/say] He can’t help himself, can’t stop himself. [say]”I think it’s hungry. Or... lonely. Both?”[/say] They’re nearly close enough to touch it now, nearly close enough to reach into the basin, to see if anything fills it. Maybe he’s meant to fill it, they’re meant to fill it. Maybe something from it will fill him instead, with a piece of reflected void and darkness.

[say]”No, no, not... not bad.”[/say] For a man so good at lying, Nate manages to sound wholly unconvincing, his brow furrowed with worry, and his hand squeezing his husbands tightly. [say]”Dangerous, though.”[/say] He doesn’t know if they are unnoticed visitors, guests, or food, and though he doesn’t want to find out, he’s finding it hard to walk away, finding it hard to turn his back to the basin, now that they’re so close. Not only because of its magnetic draw, but also because he doesn’t trust it, because he can’t.

Nate’s hesitation doesn’t soothe Sunjata’s worries any. If anything, it enhances them, easily susceptible to whatever kind of worries Nate has only building up on his own with the combination of fire and lava they’d passed by on their way here. But he listens, tries to pick it apart, and wonders if it is something involving the Voice if it meant anything more to Nate that he can’t pick out.

“[say]Starved and alone?[/say]” He utters quietly, lips quirking in uncertainty, staring down into the basin and trying to size up why it had been placed against perfectly polished obsidian. Slitted steel eyes flicker to Nate again, hearing his unconvincing tone of it being not bad, which certainly leads him to think that it is. Especially when Nate mentions it’s dangerous.

One hand still in Nate’s, he peers at it, feels the way the weight seems to settle into Nate’s bones that he might not want to turn away just yet. But what were they waiting for? If it is dangerous, perhaps Sunjata should go first, so he gathers all the courage he needs, imagining the lightning that had struck him briefly before he turns to Nate and presses a kiss to his husband’s cheek and focuses on the basin again. His free hand lifts to run his fingers along the edge of the basin, pulse quickening so intensely he’s sure Nate can feel it where their hands connect.

[say]”Starved and alone.”[/say] Nate confirms softly, some measure of sorrow in his voice, on his face now. [say]”What if it’s waiting for us?”[/say] At this point, it doesn’t matter how seriously Sunjata takes him, doesn’t matter if the words that leave him are true, because he believes them, fervently and desperately. What else could cause all this, what else could exude such an oppressive pressure, and yet be so simple? Divinity, in its most maddening form, is the only thing that makes sense.

The kiss to his cheek draws Nate’s attention away from the basin, but not his focus. The hand that rises though, that draws both, Nate sucking in a soft gasp, watching the path his husbands hand took, feeling like it moved in slow motion. Without thinking, his own hand darts out, clutching the edge of the basin the same instant Sunjata’s fingers brushed it, some part of him insisting he keep the circle closed, lest a shadow, a spirit, join them.