Court of the Fallen
it's time to try defying gravity - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: it's time to try defying gravity (/showthread.php?tid=4352)

it's time to try defying gravity - Loren - 10-09-2020

They moved in the opposite direction from Deimos and Chulane. Astra snuggled up to Loren's palm, and he stroked her head and scratched behind her ears. Glancing at Morgan, he gestured towards the springs with his free hand. [say]"Any idea where we should start looking?"[/say] His brow furrowed as he scanned the area of any sign of the flowers.

They made their way through the tunnels. Although he was doing his best to track the twists and turns, he wasn't sure he'd be able to make his way back to the hot springs or the surface. Biting his lip, he took out his belt knife and marked the tunnels they took.

Emerging into a larger cavern, he blinked. There were black slabs of stone littered throughout and the floor looked incredibly glassy and slick. [say]"Huh. I wonder if this is what Amalia was talking about,"[/say] he mused. Stepping out onto the floor, his arms windmilled as he almost fell on his ass.

RE: it's time to try defying gravity - Morgan - 10-09-2020

[say]"None at all. This land is entirely unknown to me."[/say] Morgan was trying to focus on what way they had gone and where they were headed, so she might be able to have a chance of getting home. Eunike trailing behind her was taking note too, the two checking with each other to remember a particular landmark or noticeable feature whenever they passed one.

The tunnels were tricky, especially with a unicorn, but they managed, slow and steady. Eventually they came out to a larger cavern, one that held something Morgan really wasn't expecting: the Climb really was full of surprises. Leaning down she ran her fingers along some of the obsidian, feeling it's smooth and cold surface with a frown on her face. [say]"What did Amalia say about it? Did she--"[/say]

Whatever question she was going to ask was lost as Loren fell. Stepping forwards to offer a hand, trying not to laugh, Morgan tilted her head. [say]"Lose your balance?"[/say]

RE: it's time to try defying gravity - Loren - 10-10-2020

Nodding at Morgan's words, Loren glanced over at her. [say]"How're you holding up?"[/say] His eyes traveled over her, looking for any signs that the heat or the environment was getting to her. Gaze shifting, he did the same with Astra and Eunike.

When they arrived at the vaguely religious looking cave, he examined it from the entrance. Shrugging, he glanced over at the Warden's question. [say]"Just that there was something that looked like a temple made of black stone."[/say] He waved at the sight before them.

Nodding, he laughed a little. Running one hand through his hair, he took the support she offered with his other. [say]"Yeah, the floor was way slicker than I expected. Careful."[/say] The luxere stepped onto it without incident though.

RE: it's time to try defying gravity - Morgan - 10-12-2020

[say]"..I'm fine. I don't like the heat, but it's manageable."[/say] It was clear that the Warden was uncomfortable, sweaty and feeling very exposed indeed without her heavy cloak or usual furs on her boots and tunic. Eunike was equally uncomfortable, but both of them were determined fighters, not to be beaten by some humidity, and were standing tall.

Hearing the word 'temple' she looked over the structure before them again, nodding as she looked it over. [say]"Do you know who it's a temple for?"[/say] Morgan asked, finding the black stone somewhat threatening: a God that didn't want to welcome it's followers, by the looks of things. Helping Loren up she walked past him and up towards the building, peeking around one of the pillars inside.

[say]"...I wonder if anyone regularly visits."[/say] She said mostly to herself, looking about for any signs of regular worshippers.

RE: it's time to try defying gravity - Loren - 10-12-2020

Unlike Morgan, Loren was looking alright. He was still tired and underweight from his bout with the illness, but the protection from Tanau meant he didn't feel the worst of the heat or the ash. Grimacing, he took a sip from a waterskin. [say]"Sorry to hear that. Hopefully we can head back to Halo soon."[/say] He held out the waterskin for her.

Looking around, he took one step at a time, arms out a little to help him balance. [say]"No idea."[/say] Shrugging, he bent down and ran his hands over the nearest slab of stone. [say]"Don't even know if it's a temple at all."[/say]

Straightening up at her words, he turned in a slow circle. Shaking his head, he stroked Astra as she came near him. [say]"I don't think so. There are no tracks, and the ash covering doesn't look like it's been disturbed."[/say] He continued to make his way towards the front of the strange cave.

RE: it's time to try defying gravity - Morgan - 10-14-2020

[say]"I've been through worse. I have spent my life enduring the cold and am unused to this, that is all."[/say] Morgan had spent years living in the mountains, sat with hardly anything on her body letting the snow and winds take her; it had been those years of biting cold that had made her into the fierce warrior she was, but she supposed it had left her unsuited for environments that were not like Halo.

It seemed rather obvious to Morgan that they were stood before a temple, even if she was not sure who would be worshipped there. [say]"It's quite...grand, in it's own way."[/say] She walked further into the building, head tipped up as she regarded the ceiling, the way it had all been lovingly made from smoothed stone; the time taken was clear in the craftsmanship of the elegant pillars.

[say]"Do you think anyone lives in the Climb?"[/say] She wondered out loud, more questions coming to mind the longer she looked at their surroundings.

RE: it's time to try defying gravity - Loren - 10-14-2020

Loren glanced at Morgan. Eyes trailing over her, he did what little assessment he could from a purely physical exam. Finally, he nodded. [say]"Alright. But speak up if you start to feel off?"[/say] He narrowed his eyes at her.

Running a hand through his hair he let out a huff of laughter at her comment about the temple. [say]"Yeah it is. Beautiful, in a stark way."[/say] Astra bleated her agreement and he grinned at her for a moment as he shuffled further in.

Biting his lip at her question, he turned in a slow circle. [say]"Maybe they did, once. But we haven't seen or heard anything that makes me believe people still do. Or at least I haven't."[/say]

RE: it's time to try defying gravity - Morgan - 10-15-2020

Realising she was being examined by a doctor now Morgan laughed, shaking her head and just about resisting the urge to roll her eyes. [say]"I will. I promise you though, I will be fine. I haven't needed medical attention I couldn't take care of myself in years."[/say] Liking to be self-reliant, Morgan knew the basics of first aid and medicine (though admittedly, not heatstroke).

She looked back at Astra at the bleat and smiled, finding the little Luxure quite charming. [say]"In Halo we don't have a lot of grand things. ...Until the Palace, I suppose."[/say] It would be obvious from the tone of her voice that she wasn't fond of the development. [say]"Practicality takes over. Maybe when I have completed all my goals for the Citadel, we could construct something purely for it's impressiveness or beauty. Would you think that vain?"[/say]

No people in the Climb meant she didn't have to feel guilty about taking their lilies and water, she supposed. Nodding, Morgan walked to the end of the hall, then began to head to the center, where the cube and basin lay, fingers tracing over the edge of it.

RE: it's time to try defying gravity - Loren - 10-15-2020

Frowning at Morgan's comment, Loren looked away. [say]"That's not...exactly true."[/say] He swallowed, hard, and his eyes grew distant as he flashed back to the Eirachi and her cultists' assault against the Citadel. How close to death the then Captain and now Warden had been, and how he had hadn't gotten to her soldiers in time.

Shrugging at her question, he leaned forward as he examined the shrine that he'd reached. Astra pressed against his side and he stroked her with one hand. [say]"Not vain, but also I spent most nights growing up on a stone or dirt floor, so anything above that is the lap of luxury."[/say] Although he let out a huff of laughter at his comment, his eyes remained cold. [say]"What are your goals for the region?"[/say]

Turning, he shuffled over to join the woman at the cube. [say]"Huh. Wonder what would happen if we filled this with water from Frey's Breath."[/say] His hand strayed towards his waterskin.

RE: it's time to try defying gravity - Morgan - 10-17-2020

[say]"...You're right. I apologise."[/say] Morgan had not considered herself too badly hurt that day, not when her guards had died before her. Her own pain hadn't mattered a bit, in comparison. But it was true that without Loren, that mission likely would have ended much worse, with her gone along with her team.

While Morgan herself had hardly grown up in the most luxurious of settings, she had at least always had a bed to lay in. She knew that the Launceleyns had undergone some kind of horrible time as children, but the reminder did bring a moment of pause to her, a sigh falling from her lips. [say]"Well...I have asked Frey to help with aiding us during Deepfrost, when the cold tends to make the Citadel almost unusable. Other than that, I'd like to make a road between the portal and the Citadel, help Chulane with his agricultural efforts...I'm sure more things will appear, but for now those things are priority."[/say] The completion of all these things seemed miles in the future, but she had once thought the same about things they had achieved.

She looked over to Loren and his waterskin with a shrug at his wonderings. [say]"It probably won't hurt to try."[/say]

RE: it's time to try defying gravity - Loren - 10-17-2020

Waving away Morgan's apology, Loren ignored her sigh at his reminder of his less than ideal childhood. He smiled as she explained the improvements she wanted to make in Halo. [say]"I'd be more than happy to help out with all of that."[/say]

Then it was his turn to sigh. [say]"I should also look into making some of the improvements I've been putting off."[/say] He ran a hand through his hair as his brow furrowed.

Shrugging at her comment he uncorked his waterskin. Turning it over, he poured it into the basin. When the small depression was full he stepped back, tensing and ready to leap away at an instant.

RE: it's time to try defying gravity - Morgan - 10-18-2020

[say]"Improvements you've been putting off? Personal, or for the Citadel?"[/say] Morgan asked, perhaps a hint of a joke in her tone, though she was genuinely curious if he had any plans for Halo (and she wanted to hear them before they happened, if that was the case).

She watched closely as he poured water into the basin, not stepping back herself, confident that she could take whatever reaction was going to occur within the statue. Truthfully, she doubted anything would happen at all, so she watched with her hands on her hips, staring hard down into the basin as if challenging it to do anything more than simply hold the water within it.

RE: it's time to try defying gravity - Loren - 10-18-2020

Laughing at Morgan's question, Loren stroked Astra. [say]"Always trying to improve myself, but I was talking about Halo."[/say]

Pausing, he sighed. [say]"I've been trying to figure out what to do about hunters that get injured out in the Tundra or the Fangs."[/say] Biting his lip, he rubbed one hand against his thigh. [say]"I know that many of them can't make it all the way to the infirmary before succumbing to their injuries, but short of putting emergency clinics at the front gates of the Citadel and maybe at strategic places along the road and sending hunters out with medical kits, I don't know how to help them."[/say]

Looking down, he added, [say]"I thought about trying to distribute something they could use to signal with when they were injured but...I don't know what. And that would require us to have healers who could travel out to them."[/say] He shook his head, running his free hand through his hair.

Although he'd backed away, absolutely nothing happened when the water pooled in the basin. Staring at it, he eventually waved a hand in the air. His magic collected the water and returned it to the waterskin. [say]"Well that was a bust. We should probably get back to looking for lilies anyway."[/say] Looking around the strange temple, he turned to begin shuffling his way back to the exit.

RE: it's time to try defying gravity - Morgan - 10-20-2020

[say]"A road that cuts through some of the Tundra between the Citadel and portal may be of some help there, though I would need to discuss it with the hunters to be sure it's construction doesn't disrupt any of their work."[/say] Morgan was familiar with the mountains herself, had a good idea of where the footfall of visitors and outgoing natives already happened and where the road could go, but she had never had her livelihood depend on hunting in the cold. [say]"Medical kits for the hunters sounds good. I would propose something like making them dispatch in pairs, but...a lot of these families are very traditional, and have been doing their work for generations. They might not like the council meddling."[/say]

The signal idea was good, but like he said it required healers to answer; that, and Morgan wondered darkly what might happen if the signals were picked up by somebody with the wrong intentions.

She watched the basin expectantly for a moment but it soon became abundantly clear little was going to happen. Morgan nodded and turned back to the entrance with Loren, the need for lilies admittedly greater than their need for sight seeing; back to work.

{FIN}