Court of the Fallen
[PQ] the earth is spinning; we can't just stand on it - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: [PQ] the earth is spinning; we can't just stand on it (/showthread.php?tid=4382)

Pages: 1 2 3

the earth is spinning; we can't just stand on it - Deimos - 10-13-2020

Rather than become inundated with the theatrics of other cataclysms, the Sword chose to insinuate actions with what he knew, understood, and comprehended in the latest cycle of information. The lilies were required, ten of them, in order to assist in alleviating the sickness, and though he hadn’t discovered one on his own, Chulane had provided an apt description. They could be potentially found, rare things and occurrences, along the shoreline of Frey’s Breath, the hot springs boasting more than just soothing properties around its sanction and sanctum. He comprehended the steps to get there, along the ramparts of the tundra, as he’d followed Morgan previously.

There were ways to solve this; if they could all manage it together. Perhaps was the largest issue of all.

So the newly-established General of Halo sent notices along the boards of each lands, drifting from portal to portal, hanging up the signs and information, hoping to impart a collective amount of those willing to help, willing to aid. Hadn’t most of them seen what happened to the afflicted? Hadn’t most of them been given second, third chances (his thoughts drifting to how many times he might’ve sipped the water – and what limitations would eventually come around)? Better now, to strive and try, than to wait any longer.

He stood along the outcrops, the directions already printed to anyone interested, with large vials in a cart, intending to help retrieve as much water as possible too. There would be more than one venture at success.

--

[say]This is a PQ to try and find lilies in Frey’s Breath! We’ll also be gathering some water from the springs, to take back with your character!

I would like this PQ to move along quickly due to plot reasons. It’ll be moving every 48 hours, or when everyone has posted. I’ll be limiting it to three slots, and I’d prefer those who haven’t tried a thread in here on their own, or haven’t found a lily yet! <3

[/say]

RE: the earth is spinning; we can't just stand on it - Sunjata - 10-13-2020

He did make a promise, didn’t he? To help find lilies? He had. And that’s why he finds his way back here. Without Nate, tucked away at the Kraai with Neron while he still tries to figure out just how much he could help before he had to go home and assume the duties just recently gifted to him.

It felt like a lot, so in order to keep from drowning within it too much, Sunjata focuses on a list kept. A list he mentally keeps to check off, to feel better once the tasks started lifting. And this one? Finding himself back here? That’s yet another check mark off.

So he arrives without much by the means of fanfare, a bag on his shoulder to stuff the clothes from Halo in, other clothes prepared to get wet. It’s easier this time without worrying of the lava and Nate, and he finds that he can breathe a bit easier with the humidity rather than the constant clench of his heart. He spies Deimos as he makes his way further in, falling the signs, hand lifting in a small wave of greeting, before he waits for anyone else who wishes to join as well.

RE: the earth is spinning; we can't just stand on it - Raza - 10-14-2020

I have - admittedly - removed myself from the sickness drama for various reasons. But with the Hanged Man repaired an’ that taken off my mind, I find there’s a little more room to do, even if I don’t have to do anythin’ now. No responsibility with government shit now that Remi’s stepped down. No obligations ‘cept to myself an’ my people, an’ whether that’s Sunjata or not remains to be seen.

So what I’m gettin’ at is that this excursion from Torchline ain’t politically motivated. If I’m ever gonna go to Halo, it’s gonna be in the middle’a Longheat an though I’m wearin’ everything I’ve got when I get to Halo, it’s still freezing. I swear every predator in the surroundin’ miles can hear my teeth knockin’ against each other as I try to keep warm - stubborn and fuckin’ miserable.

The only redemption is that I heard the Climb is hotter ‘n Torchline. So I brought a bag with me for disrobin’ - which slowly gets filled as I go down into the earth, followin’ the same signs Sunjata must be followin. I enter the area about fifteen minutes after ‘im, quiet an’ big-eyed, tryin’ to take it all in. So much fuckin’ lava. Everywhere.

[say] “Didn’t know Apopo had a kid sister,”[/say] I say in jest to no one in particular. Probably myself. It’s not like either of ‘em would likely find it funny.

RE: the earth is spinning; we can't just stand on it - Bastien - 10-14-2020

Bastien was once again well, which was obviously, a good thing. However, there were 2 problems: The first being that with a clearer mind, he was suddenly able to remember just where Rexanna had gone; that grief had hit him like a boulder, slamming all the joy that might had been there out. The second was that there were still others sick, those who had not wanted to go with the Voice's cure.

At first he had been offended, that they would reject it just because of who was giving it...but then Bastien supposed he wouldn't take a cure from the Old Gods, if it was offered, either. The least he could do would be to go and help the others get their cure, to continue his Goddesses giving spirit: and hopefully, it would take his mind off things.

The Climb was a dangerous place indeed for the Ascended, fire and flame everywhere he looked. Bastien rode his board and covered himself in a long heavy robe, which he hoped would buy him a little time in the event of an ember getting too close. Arriving at the group with a charismatic smile on his face once more, he stopped before them. [say]"Let us go and search for these legendary flowers. I hope they're quite beautiful."[/say]

RE: the earth is spinning; we can't just stand on it - Deimos - 10-14-2020

A motley semblance of a crew arrived. He hadn’t expected anyone in particular, so only maintained an inward shrug; nodding to Sunjata, the woman from the Sea Panther escapades, and Bastien (that one a more curious note; perhaps out of kindness or curiosity). [say]“Thank you for coming.”[/say] The whole intention behind the movements and motions, as he hefted his bag along his shoulders, full of vials and stoppers, indicated they’d be maneuvering soon, and quickly. Already hoisting his wild hair upwards, in preparation for the incoming heat, an abrupt change and alteration in climates, he described as best he could what they’d be looking for. [say]“The lilies are supposedly white, veined with gold and turquoise,”[/say] came on a rumble, citing Chulane’s efforts in previous endeavors.

They headed and threaded through way the tunnels, picking along familiar walkways; lantern light unnecessary in the pulsing enigmas of the cavern, of the magma pervading nearby. [say]“Keep on the lookout.”[/say] For anything, really; uncertain of what other things lurked within – how these footpaths had been traveled, traversed, so frequently lately, and what could be stirred in the unknown.

--

[say]Head into the tunnels, and be on the lookout for lilies!

PQ moving on in 48 hours, or when everyone has posted!

Sunjata Raza Bastien[/say]

RE: the earth is spinning; we can't just stand on it - Sunjata - 10-15-2020

A few more join them, and honestly – when Raza’s quiet comment reaches his ears he does quietly chuckle, but he says nothing else. A nod of hello is given both to Raza and Bastien when the Ascended joins them, his attention returning to Deimos quicker rather than later. Luckily it doesn’t take long before Deimos is detailing hat the plan is, what the lilies look like – Sunjata trying to filter his mind for the memory of when he’d first tried Frey’s water of what the lilies looked like given the description Deimos has given.

So he keeps it in mind, gaze partially shifting to his slit pupil steel ones, stepping into the tunnel and keeping his eyes peeled, pack shifted on his shoulder while they walk through it, searching for anything of interest. He doesn’t have anything to say to anyone there, not yet anyway aside from small talk, so he keeps his mouth shut and simply wanders.

Sunjata partially shifts his gaze to his dragon shift and searches the walls of the tunnels for any lilies.

RE: the earth is spinning; we can't just stand on it - Raza - 10-15-2020

Chatty bunch, aren’t we? If I recall right, the big man wasn’t big on words in a battle situation, but I’m beginning to think that extends to most situations now. So I go ahead an’ do the polite leg work, consderin’ he didn’t really do any introductions.[say] “So you’re Deimos, right?”[/say] I ask. An’ then I turn to the last guy, who smiles an’ seems to be eager to get a move on. Got an accent, too. Fancy. I stick out my hand to shake an’ fix ‘im with a gruff smile’a my own.[say] “I’m Raza. You?”[/say]

Ok, now we can get down to business.

Followin’ the big guy down the tunnel, I pick the right side an’ scan as I slowly walk along. Seems to me that if they’re white, they’ll stand out in this place. But I’ll take a close look in ‘my’ section anyway, neither walkin’ too quickly to miss somethin’ nor too slowly as to fall behind.  

----------------

Raza drifts towards the right side of the tunnel and looks.

RE: the earth is spinning; we can't just stand on it - Bastien - 10-15-2020

Turning to the woman asking after his name, Bastien shook her hand gladly and introduced himself; he would have bent to kiss her hand as was his custom, but decided not to: she didn't seem like the sort that might appreciate it. [say]"Bastien De Rosieres. It's a pleasure, I'm sure."[/say] Sunjata got a friendly nod too; Bastien wondered if he thought of their naked frolic on the beach every time they met, as he did.

The lilies sounded wonderful and he was eager to see them. Starting up his hoverboard again he sped down the tunnels to look, holding out a hand before him with Safrin's ring on it to look for anything that might immediately jump out, as well as using his normal Ascended night vision; Old and New Gods together, just like the two cures for the illness. Poetic.

--

Bastien uses the following to zoom and look:

Type: Grey
Hover Plate | A thin sheet of elegant metal that acts as a hover board when stood upon by an ascended. Ascendeds can control the height (max. 3 ft) of the board, as well as its direction and speed (speed is equal to the rider's). To a non-ascended, nothing happens when it is stood upon.

Type: Light
Safrin's Light Conjuration Ring | An opal ring that emits a starry-light up to a radius of 20ft and works in magical darkness

RE: the earth is spinning; we can't just stand on it - Random Event - 10-15-2020

As Bastien zooms through the tunnels, a shock of white will catch his eye. Slowing and returning, he'll find a perfectly formed white lily blooming seemingly out of the very rock itself.

RE: the earth is spinning; we can't just stand on it - Deimos - 10-15-2020

Mind on the mission, and rarely on pleasantries, the beast inclined his head towards the woman, attention settled on her for a moment. [say]“Yes.”[/say] Before shirking right back to his previous intentions, watching, peering, attuned gaze from tiger exploits and shifts reeling back, fixations within the darkness, looking, looking, looking for a semblance of blossoms – certain to be stark in this range of lava, magma, and walls. Zuriel followed close behind, though she noted each individual in their familiarity, eyes flicking to Sunjata briefly, as if expecting some semblance of treats.

The journey through the caverns themselves weren’t an issue, but rather the fauna contained within. As they threaded their way amongst and amidst the pathways, there was a distinct scuttling sound – and the monolith registered faint memories of distinct claws, down along the underground…

[say]“Rats,”[/say] he murmured, unfurling bits of fire from his hand to better see through the midst, where the fiery edges of the lava, of the magma, didn’t seem to quite reach. It pinpointed upon shadows of the maneuvering beasts, around eight of them, three feet in height, and joining one another from all directions –

They seemed to ignore Raza and the Sword, but Sunjata made for an easy target in their minds, three rampaging towards the Flood, intending to sink their fangs into shins, calves, and anywhere else they could reach.

And while they didn’t target Bastien necessarily, two of them had happened to spot the flower too, the exact description earlier described – beelining for the petals.

--

[say]Ohoho, we’ve rolled for blind swamp rats! They can’t see you, but they can smell you!

Deimos and Raza have been left alone, but Sunjata has a swarm of three, and the lily Bastien has found is also the target of two rats.

Whatcha gonna do? :D

PQ moving on in 48 hours or when everyone has posted![/say]

RE: the earth is spinning; we can't just stand on it - Sunjata - 10-16-2020

The introductions go down easily, Sunjata glancing toward Raza as she inspects Deimos, before his attention flickers toward Bastien for the next part of the introduction. But he continues to walk, gaze still partially shifted to try and spy through the darkness, he watches as Bastien zooms past on a hoverboard of all things – stopping in surprise to find it when everything else here in Caido had been… Less advanced than he’s used to.

But then there’s rats, running at them, and Sunjata can’t focus on the hoverboard so much anymore as he focuses on spotting the three that swarm him, huffing out a sigh as he reaches for the daggers at his side, pulling them both out in a warning to the rats – mind reaching out to try and compel them to leave.

(Beastmaster) can compel any sentient animals not marked with a ☆ for assistance (6 large, 12 medium, 20 small)

RE: the earth is spinning; we can't just stand on it - Bastien - 10-16-2020

Seeing within a minute's travel a flash of white and gold, Bastien was at first disbelieving. Could it really be so easy, to find one of the fated lilies? He brought his hoverboard to a stop and hopped off, putting it under his arm as he walked towards the flower, a smile on his face not just from the joy of finding their goal but from the aesthetic beauty of it, something he would surely find some inspiration from. Something pure and wonderful to come from the awful situation they were in. [say]"I believe I have one of the magical flowers here already!"[/say]

Before he could reach forward and take it though, two rats came forward. He stepped back, made a face; he couldn't do with them hurting the lily he had found. Not wanting to harm them (both because it wasn't in his nature and because their blood may mar the flower) he used his pulse upgrade, hoping to set both of the rats into a dreamlike haze so that he might reach between them and simply take the lily.

--
Bastien calls back to tell the group he found a lily then attempts to use his pulse to calm the rats enough to let him take it.

Type: Light
Hypnotic Pulse Upgrade | This upgrade emits a pulse of energy at a distance of around 5ft. Any mortal standing within range will feel soothed and at ease. Useful for feeding. (Can only be used once per thread).

RE: the earth is spinning; we can't just stand on it - Raza - 10-17-2020

Yes? That’s it? Gods, this man must be boring. I silently curse myself for not bringin the unicorn treats - she’d definitely earned them with her support on the beach, but I honestly hadn’t thought a unicorn would be with us. Guess that’s a lesson in being prepared, eh? Always assume a companion will be around.

Bastien is much more interesting, confirming the inkling that he’s fancy with an appropriately, uh, elegant? name. He toes the line between interesting an’ making a fuss well, an’ we all move forward. All is silent until big guy says something an’ at first I think he might be politely cursin’, but no - he’s talkin’ about actual rats. I quickly draw my dagger an’ crouch down, tryin’ to keep myself low in case some’a them try to crawl up my legs.

They don’t, but that doesn’t stop me from keepin’ my guard up. They can’t be the only thing we’ll disturb in these tunnels.

RE: the earth is spinning; we can't just stand on it - Deimos - 10-17-2020

There was a flurry of movement, motion, and action, as expected by the motley crew assembled. Deimos could hear Bastien’s announcement (at one found; and some segment of relief managed to find its way into his chest, permitted to linger for one damned moment), but then there were too many other issues pressing into the wake. Congratulations could unfurl later.

The Sword took it upon himself to advance, rarely an individual to slink along the sidelines when there was an onslaught to be had – savage, minatory, a press of primordial nefariousness thriving in its existence. He compelled, he thwarted, he growled, he implored, and two of the rats glanced his way, before slinking back from where they’d come from.

For Sunjata’s parts and efforts, the rats didn’t seem particularly bothered by his compelling, nor dissuaded. They didn’t heed his warnings, utterly indifferent to any of the foreboding measures likely contained within the Flood. As if mocking his attempts, the rats flurried and clustered further, reaching, clawing, intending to open skin along calves and shins, striving to climb and clamber.

Bastien, successful in his quest for a lily, also imparted a favorable outcome in his actions. The pulse scattered towards the two rats hellbent for the flower, and a wave of calm hit them. Perplexing, vexing, and bewildering, they ceased their frenetic, bloodthirsty accord, shaking vicious heads, but in their woozy haze, they became incapable of advancing any farther.

Raza’s guarding position didn’t seem to deter them either. Rats didn’t know about daggers, and these couldn’t even view the sheen of serrated edges. One in particular, a massive beast, broke away from its party and rushed toward her, aiming for the back of her calf.

--

[say]Deimos has compelled two rats away!

Sunjata has failed to compel his rats off, and they are trying to advance up his legs, intending to bite into him as they go.

Bastien has successfully hypnotic pulsed the rats into a soothing mess, and can grab the flower!

The rats don’t care about Raza or her guarding position, and a massive one is attempting to sink its teeth into her calf.

What will you do? 48 hours until the next round or when everyone has posted![/say]