Court of the Fallen
summer haze - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: summer haze (/showthread.php?tid=4427)

Pages: 1 2 3

summer haze - Ronin - 10-17-2020

The sun is beginning to set on the LongHeat season, but that doesn’t make the days any less sweltering or the nights any less balmy. They’re still packing, still arranging and re-arranging things in the wagon so that they’ll be able to travel comfortably (and all fit in there, and gods but Ianto has a lot of stuff, and so do they, as well as a baby). Ronin has decided they ought to spend a few nights out in it, so the two of them - and Mateo - can get used to it while they’re still in reach of the house.

And it’s a glorious morning, truly; Ronin is sitting on the steps of the Wishing Wagon, having had a surprisingly decent sleep given that they have a newborn. Not all is well, though, and the Star rubs at the back of his neck as if trying to stop from touching anything else. Anything else, to any who are watching, will be quite obvious in the horror show of Ronin’s antlers. The partial shift is more comfortable than not right now, even if it’s pretty gory to look at. The bloody velvet is still half stripped from the bone, and Ronin looks more like a frightening forest guardian than a demigod.

RE: summer haze - Remi - 10-17-2020

Returning from the ocean, having walked down to the shoreline with Mateo that morning, Remi returns across the sands with his wings spread into the warm breeze and his son nestled against his shoulder. Spying Ronin seated on the steps of the Wishing Wagon is not a sight he's entirely used to quite yet. It's a good thing that blue eyes is all that Ianto and Ronin have in common or all of this might have been even harder for the Lullaby to adjust to.

[say]"Ah! What's that? Is it a beast to be slain? A monster come to steal our wagon?"[/say] Whispering dramatically to Mateo who turns bleary blue eyes into the world, clearly not able to quite focus on what Remi is pointing at, but entranced by his voice just the same. [say]"No! It's only Daddy."[/say] He says, laughing richly and leaning down to kiss Ronin's cheek. [say]"Gods if you aren't still the most handsome man I've ever seen."[/say]

RE: summer haze - Ronin - 10-17-2020

Distracted as he is, Ronin only notices Remi and their son at the sound of his voice, the Star blinking and letting his pained expression melt into something warm and loving. Accepting the kiss to his cheek and reaching up to tickle Mateo under the chin, he grumbles something that’s not quite an acceptance of the compliment. Remi’s wings shade him from the morning sun, and he lets his shoulders relax now that he’s got the distraction of those he loves most around him.

[say]”And what have you two been doing this morning?”[/say] he wants to know, trying not to reach up to rub at the shedding velvet. [say]”Down to the beach and back again? Our boy will know how to swim before he knows how to walk.”[/say] Ronin hauls himself up off the wagon steps so Remi can take Mateo in if he wants to.

[say]"Well, we saw three different types of birds, didn't we?"[/say] Remi says all of this not as a man speaking to a baby, but a man speaking to an equal. If Mateo couldn't understand him anyway, what need was there to water it down? [say]"Then we captured a hel and went for a stroll toward the horizon, but got too hungry and came back before we reached it."[/say]

Despite how handsome Remi does think Ronin looks, the Star is far too hard for the Lullaby to keep his gaze on just now. The coppery-sweet scent of blood makes his mouth water, and he can feel the barbs on his tongue wanted to lick clean the velvet from bone. Though Remi tries to keep a lid on his internal drives, there's no doubt that the huntsman will feel the predatory wariness that pulses through their bond, both wanting to take hold of Ronin and never let go, but also to run himself into the sea where he can think more clearly.

[say]"Nothing wrong with that."[/say] Remi chuckles, handing Mateo over to Ronin and then stretching his arms wide above his head, as if stretching will release some of the instinctual tension he feels.

[say]”Three?”[/say] Ronin echoes, injecting levity and brightness into his voice and beaming at the infant as Mateo is passed into his arms. Even with a crown of bloodied antlers, whilst Remi might not be one to baby their son, that just means that the Star can lay it on twice as thick. He coos over Mateo, rocking him gently in his arms and flicking his eyes up at Remi with a knowing smile. Yes, he’s well aware of their curious pairing of instincts, and especially right now, he can practically see the predator within Remi start to salivate.

[say]”Well, if you’re hungry I suppose we could go inside and make some breakfast,”[/say] he suggests, directing the question to both alchemist and babe, and the flailing of Mateo’s tiny hands suggests that he might be onto a winner there. [say]”Maybe we could even have it out here in the open? I say it’s other Daddy’s turn this morning.”[/say]

[say]"Ah, I see my ploy to be gone so long that you'd have to make breakfast failed."[/say] Remi chuckles, flashing Ronin a knowing and entirely pleased smile. [say]"Everyone's good with raw meat, yeah?"[/say] He asks rhetorically, flashing Ronin a look that says he both is and isn't serious.

That Ianto has changed (read: tidied) the inside of the wagon is a blessing, and not just for reasons of space. Entering into the small kitchen, Remi is constantly met with a shadow of the strangest longing. Cooking breakfast in the wagon..it was once something he thought he'd do often, but under very different circumstances. Though Remi wouldn't have strayed from the path that brought all of them together in this strange turn of events, still it's hard on his heart more often than it isn't.  [say]"But I suppose if I were to cook things...breakfast burritos for those of us with teeth, and...perhaps this fine sampling of milk for those of us without?"[/say] He calls through the door, having left it open to let some air in.

3 men (in various states of humanity) and one baby in such a small space is not the most pleasant of smells.

It’s a blessing that the wagon is larger on the inside than it appears, but even so the open door (and any open windows) is going to be a welcome addition regardless of the season. Ronin lets the alchemist swan into the little kitchen, an the soft yipping sound from the shade beneath the wagon suggests that a fox-shaped addition to their company would like raw meat, even if the others don’t.

Ianto will just have to cope with a breakfast burrito, however, because Ronin (and Mateo by default) cheer at the prospect, father and son thoroughly enjoying the morning air and the gentle sunshine that will soon become unbearable. Well, Ronin is enjoying it up until the infant flails his uncoordinated little hands towards antlers that really don’t need to be touched right now, and his cursing is playful as it is pained.

[say]”Remi, little help!”[/say]

Remi's culinary habits are closer to the fox's than his well-bred husband, and so without even needing to be asked, the alchemist is setting aside some raw fix and bones for the fox, while he starts cooking a much more refined meal for Ronin (and himself, by default). His efforts are stalled by the sound of Ronin's glee filled panic, and with a huff of annoyance that is entirely for show, Remi pops his head out of the door, flicking a kitchen towel haughtily over his shoulder for good measure.

[say]"Honestly Ronin, you've been alone with him for all of two minut—oh."[/say] Mateo's grubby little fingers covered in blood brings a smile to Remi's face that he absolutely can't help. [say]"Well, we know which of us he's taking after, then."[/say] He adds.

Scooping Mateo up from Ronin where he can't tug at the sensitive velvet, Remi shoots Ronin a roguish look as he places a hand on Ronin's shoulder. [say]"Eyes closed. Try and remember your absolutely most favourite scarf. A long one, if you can."[/say]

[say]”Oh is that so? I remember when you were such a gentle man. All this blood and guts wasn’t for you, even as a hawk,”[/say] Ronin protests, gently surrendering their son that Remi might peel his grabby fingers away from the antlers that sorely do not want to be pulled about this morning. Then the alchemist’s hand lands upon his shoulder, of course, and Ronin narrows his eyes playfully to his husband.

[say]”Um?”[/say] he echoes, not quite understanding but trusting the other man implicitly. His eyes slipping shut, the Star lets out a long, deep breath and indeed conjures his favourite scarf into his mind; a long, knitted grey thing traded for back in the Hollowed Grounds for that first Deepfrost. It had been long enough to wind around both he and Vanya at the time, and it had perished when the guildhall had burned.

[say]"Mmmhmmm, and whose fault is it that I'm no longer that way? Oh mighty monster hunter?"[/say] They both know it has very little to do with Ronin, but there's something so absolutely impossible about not offering some sort of quip in his defence.

The memory is a good one, pure and thoughtful. Around Ronin's shoulders the scarf suddenly appears, smelling faintly of cloves, autumn dust, and Vanya. Smiling softly at his husband, not recognizing the scarf but knowing the Star to be far more sentimental than many give him credit for, Remi removes his hand from Ronin's shoulder and begins to twine the soft material around the Star's antlers.  This way it can serve as a buffer for the sensitive shedding antlers, and also to keep Mateo's hands blood-free.

[say]"It's new."[/say] Remi explains softly, using the cloth he'd brought with him to wipe of Mateo's hands before offering him back. [say]"Or..at least, this is only the second time I've used it."[/say]

RE: summer haze - Ronin - 10-18-2020

[say]”I don’t think you have ever once come to hunt a monster with me, so enough of that.”[/say] Ronin grins, peeking an eye open, though he soon shuts it again so Remi can get to doing... whatever it is he’s going to do. And when he feels the scarf around his shoulders, he’s not sure what to think at first, blinking down at it and shooting his husband a puzzled sort of smile. His antlers are wrapped safely up, the Star accepting Mateo back into his waiting arms and leaning in to press a careful kiss to Remi’s cheek.

[say]”You are always full of surprises,”[/say] he informs him, kissing him a second time before drawing back. [say]”So it’s like what you were able to do before, only... with memories?”[/say] It’s only a guess, of course, entirely based on the scent of spice and seabird on the scarf. [say]”How long does it last?”[/say]

RE: summer haze - Remi - 10-18-2020

[say]"Well now, that's just absolutely false."[/say] Remi grumbles in response. Wicker women, the thing that killed Emmett, the Spire Demon, the LongNight monsters? Surely at least one of those counted.

Remi's smile is at first reserved, as if unsure what his husband will think of this strange new ability. Even Ronin's kisses do not immediately settle the alchemist, who just nods softly as if in deep contemplation. [say]"I think so, yes."[/say] Moving around Ronin to return into the kitchen where no doubt some bacon has burned, Remi shrugs, not that anyone will see it. [say]"I'm not entirely sure."[/say] He calls out. [say]"I think it's likely tied to the strength of the memory, if I had to guess."[/say]

Adding spices to the bacon and egg, as well as a good amount of spinach and some leftover rice, Remi comes out with a plate for Ronin and one for Ianto (this he places under the wagon where he thinks he heard the fox earlier), before returning inside to grab his own plate and Mateo's bottle.

RE: summer haze - Ronin - 10-19-2020

[say]”You don’t sound all that happy about it,”[/say] Ronin calls back into the wagon, seeming quite content with his scarf-antlers, dangling the fluffy edges over Mateo (he looks predictably perplexed by it, being so young). [say]”Well, for the future, maybe you should start remembering all the stuff you packed really, really well?”[/say] he suggests, knowing how much Remi loathes packing things away. This way he can just... magic it all up wherever they go.

But suddenly there are burritos to eat, and Ronin watches as Ianto’s plate disappears under the wagon with a smirk. The Star’s hands are a little full, but where there’s a will there’s a way, and Ronin’s projection appears to feed him the burrito while he continues to rock their son. [say]”Want to give him breakfast?”[/say] he asks between bites.

RE: summer haze - Remi - 10-19-2020

Smiling sadly, softly, Remi nods. [say]"The last time I used it...was with a boy, in the Grounds."[/say] The lack of detail that starts this story will be a familiar indication of just what kind of story it's about to become. [say]"I asked him to remember something, just like you...and all he could think of was blueberries because his family always had so little to eat."[/say] It was something the alchemist understood well, the bright excitement of food, especially in a boy so young. [say]"Maybe once I use it more, and more of the memories are happy ones, it just...I think we tend to remember the things we've lost."[/say] He inclines his chin softly towards the scarf around Ronin's antlers as an example of this.

Rolling his eyes, his amusement not quite recovered, he offers Ronin a ha-ha for his efforts.

[say]"You seem to be doing quite well."[/say] Remi smirks, happy to enjoy himself while watching Ronin awkwardly feed himself. The sentiment doesn't last long though. The alchemist would be happy to watch his husband flounder, but not their son. Reaching out to snatch the boy away, Remi cradles him in the crook of his arm, smiling adoringly down at the both as he greedily reaches for the bottle and directs it into his mouth.