Court of the Fallen
(se) and so the best that I can do is pray (open) - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: (se) and so the best that I can do is pray (open) (/showthread.php?tid=4446)

Pages: 1 2

(se) and so the best that I can do is pray (open) - Saiden - 10-21-2020

Saiden was still getting used to his newly impaired vision. So he slipped and stumbled a bit on his way down to the shrine that he'd helped restore. Still, he made it to his destination relatively unscathed. Although he wasn't a devotee of the Voice, he figured she should be properly thanked for her cure.

So he entered into the small cave. Reaching into his belt pocket, he pulled out a sapphire ring. It was close enough to the shade of her electricity that he figured she'd appreciate it. Setting it on the altar, he nodded his head at the shrine. [say]"Thank for the cure and all that, the Voice."[/say] Tone polite as it ever got, he waited for a moment to see if anything would happen, though secretly he hoped not.

RE: (se) and so the best that I can do is pray (open) - Ronin - 10-22-2020

[say]"Saiden?"[/say]

Ronin's voice echoes softly as he ducks into the cave, the Star holding a small portrait in his hands. After the Voice provided a cure for Remi, there's no way he can't show his own appreciation, even if the goddess has given him a pretty scar on his chest for his trouble in the past.

[say]"I'll admit, I didn't expect to see you here,"[/say] he continues, straightening up and moving to place the portrait on the altar as well. It depicts the Spire, brooding and electric and powerful. [say]"I suppose we have to give back, though, when we're given the opportunity. Thanks, by the way, for all your help at the Climb."[/say]

He smiles across at the sailor, before abruptly stopping. [say]"Whoa. What happened to your eye?"[/say]

RE: (se) and so the best that I can do is pray (open) - Saiden - 10-22-2020

As Ronin's voice echoed through the cave, Saiden glanced over his shoulder. He had to turn further than usual, what with the restricted vision and all. [say]"The one and only,"[/say] he called back.

Watching as the Dark Star placed his own offering on the altar, the cook shrugged. [say]"I had much the same thought. And no need to thank me."[/say] He smiled at the other man. [say]"I owe ye a debt I can't ever hope to repay."[/say]

Reaching up a hand, the Hali scratched the skin next to the eyepatch. He winced as it pulled at the still healing skin of the socket. [say]"Lost a bet with a spirit,"[/say] he grumbled, scowling at the memory.

Dropping his hand to his side, he turned so he could look at Ronin properly. [say]"How's Remi? All healed up?"[/say] Saiden hooked his hands into the waistband of his shorts as he waited for the response.

RE: (se) and so the best that I can do is pray (open) - Ronin - 10-24-2020

[say]"A debt?"[/say] Perhaps Ronin's mind is fuzzy, but he can't recall doing anything for Saiden that would merit such a debt to be on the other man's shoulders. Still, there's an itch in the back of his head that says that it might have something to do with Vanya, and he softens instantly at the thought of it. Luckily, before he can be sucked into those memories, he's taken by the story about the sailor's eye. Wincing in sympathy, he straightens up in front of the shrine and claps a hand to his friend's shoulder.

[say]"Sorry to hear about it. I imagine it's a big adjustment. If you need a hand with anything, you know where I am. Or... well, where I am for now."[/say] He smiles sheepishly. [say]"Remi is as good as new. I imagine you've heard, he's given up being Governor. We're taking to the road for a bit. Figured we ought to see more of the world and just... enjoy it. We, ah... had a bit of a shock, too."[/say]

RE: (se) and so the best that I can do is pray (open) - Saiden - 10-24-2020

Looking down at the ground at Ronin's question, Saiden nodded. Clearing his throat, the normally chipper cook became positively downcast. [say]"Aye, a debt."[/say] It did indeed have to do with Vanya: the Dark Star had been there for her when Saiden couldn't be, and for that he owed the other man a life debt.

Still, it was tough to talk about and the cook was glad that the conversation shifted to a new topic, even if it was his missing eye. [say]"Thanks. I'm doing alright though. And I found out Nate got his eye back from the Voice so maybe I'll see if she'd do the same for me."[/say]

However, he glanced sharply at Ronin when he said something about moving. [say]"Yeah, I heard about his stepping down. Didn't know it was so ye two could go travelin'."[/say] Expression growing sad, the cook still mustered up a smile.

Still looking a little upset, the cook scratched under his chin. [say]"Well, I'll miss ye, but I can't say I can fault ye for wantin' to travel."[/say] Arching an eyebrow at the Dark Star's cryptic comment about a surprise, the Hali snorted. [say]"Another surprise, eh?"[/say] He nudged the hunter with his shoulder.

RE: (se) and so the best that I can do is pray (open) - Ronin - 10-26-2020

Ronin raises his eyebrows to hear that Nate has managed to get his sight restored by the Voice, and athough his personal opinion about the goddess is undeniably negative (though let it never be said that he doesn't show gratitude where it's due), he can't help but hope that something can be done for his friend.

[say]"I'll cross my fingers and my toes for you,"[/say] he says with a smile, though it fades by degrees to see the sadness on Saiden's face. [say]"Mm, it's been a long time since we were able to just... be together. We'll be regular visitors here, though - don't think you've gotten rid of us so easy."[/say]

The nudge to his shoulder and the question has Ronn's expression growing bashful, and the Star ducks his head in a nod. [say]"Yeah, I... well. Don't ask me to explain how, because I couldn't tell you, but Remi and I have a son. Together."[/say]

RE: (se) and so the best that I can do is pray (open) - Saiden - 10-26-2020

[say]"Thanks. Again. I'll probably need all the help I can get."[/say] Saiden inclined his head to Ronin.

Relieved at the Dark Star's next statement, the cook smiled. [say]"Well I hope ye two get some time to yerself then. Ye deserve it. And if I'm out to sea when ye swing by, drop me a note and I'll respond when I get back to port."[/say] Pausing, he added, [say]"Please?"[/say]

Jaw dropping and eyebrows shooting up to the top of his forehead, he found himself chuckling. [say]"Another kid?!"[/say] Shaking his head, he punched the other man in the arm. [say]"Listen, I'm a fan of a big family, but have ye considered keepin' it in yer pants for once?"[/say] The Hali kept laughing, tears forming in his remaining eye

RE: (se) and so the best that I can do is pray (open) - Ronin - 10-30-2020

There's no need for Saiden to say please, and Ronin shoots him a warm and reassuring smile. [say]"Of course,"[/say] he says. [say]"I'll make sure to drop you a line regularly enough. Especially if we see any cool ships or oceans or rivers."[/say] He winks. [say]"In the meantime, I hope you manage to get that eye sorted. Maybe the next time we see each other, you'll have them both back where they belong."[/say] His eyes, he means.

Still, the punch to the arm and the shocked amusement that rolls off the sailor is welcome, and Saiden's laughter is contagious, Ronin finding himself chuckling along as well. [say]"Oi!"[/say] He punches the Hali back playfully. [say]"Listen,"[/say] he says, having absolutely no excuse but having to attempt it nonetheless. [say]"I'm just... fertile, is all! I always wanted a big family."[/say]

RE: (se) and so the best that I can do is pray (open) - Saiden - 10-30-2020

Saiden smiled back at Ronin, reassured by both the Dark Star's expression and words. [say]"Good. An' if I see anythin' interestin' out there, I'll let ye know. Maybe even bring ye back a souvenir or two."[/say]

Hand rising to the patch, the cook scratched next to it again, wincing once more as the skin pulled. [say]"Maybe,"[/say] he grumbled, smile sliding away. What with the Ark sailing next season, he doubted he'd have a chance to pray to anyone or anything. At least in a place or manner they'd listen.

[say]"Fertile, huh?"[/say] He kept chuckling. [say]"Or are ye just sowin' lots of fields with yer wild oats?"[/say] he teased. Still laughing, the Hali winked at Ronin, though it was hard to tell what with Saiden only having one eye and all. Reaching up to clasp the Dark Star's shoulder, the cook grinned. [say]"I think what I meant to say is congratulations. I'm happy for ye both."[/say]

Dropping his hand, he glanced over his shoulder at the exit to the cave. [say]"Since ye got a newborn at home I imagine yer anxious to get back to him. But maybe I can come meet the little tyke afore we both set off?"[/say]

RE: (se) and so the best that I can do is pray (open) - Ronin - 11-01-2020

[say]"Oi, my wild oats have been very tame lately, I'll have you know!"[/say] They fucking haven't been, and the shit eating grin on his face as Saiden clasps his shoulder should tell the truth of the matter. Ronin still nudges Saiden for his trouble, checking one more time on their offerings before he turns to head out of the cave with the Hali that they might leave the shrine in peace. [say]"Thanks,"[/say] he says warmly in repsonse to the eventual congratulations, fully expecting a great deal of souvenirs in exchange for Saiden's jibes.

At the prospect of meeting Mateo, the Star brightens all over again and nods his head, moving to turn and lead them down the beach so they can walk up towards the Aumakua. [say]"Of course. I'll warn you, though - he's going to be a little heartbreaker, so you better prepare yourself."[/say] Of course Ronin is going to say that though - it's his son.

RE: (se) and so the best that I can do is pray (open) - Saiden - 11-01-2020

Grinning right back at Ronin, Saiden arched an eyebrow at the Dark Star. [say]"I think the newborn ye've got at home says otherwise. Ye do know how babies are made, right? If not, I guess that would explain a lot."[/say] The cook chuckled, nodding at the other man's thanks and taking the nudge in good stride.

Glancing over the shrine as well, the Hali followed Ronin out of the cave and towards the distant Aumakua. Saiden had to shade his eye against the brightness of the sun (and perhaps against the literal brightness of the Dark Star, which was seeming more and more like a misnomer to the cook). [say]"A heartbreaker already hm? I guess it's good that yer startin' 'im young."[/say]

He put his hand over his heart. [say]"I am forewarned."[/say] Expression growing distant for a moment as he remembered his recent loss and how his heart still ached for Eloise, he shook his head a bit and plastered a smile on. It helped that he was more than a bit eager to meet the little baby.

RE: (se) and so the best that I can do is pray (open) - Ronin - 11-01-2020

[say]"Listen, the way this particular newborn was made would surprise you."[/say] Ronin snorts, trailing off down the beach with Saiden and soon growing bored of the trek. Gazing up at the sky, he puts his fingers to his lips and whistles, calling down one of the clouds which swoops to hover before them. [say]"Climb on, friend,"[/say] he says proudly, sinking onto the fuffy nimbus.

Once Saiden has settled himself, the nimbus will rise up and start to streak away past the Aumakua, towards the house where Ronin currently lives with the soon-to-be-former Governor. [say]"But of course. Gotta start them young."[/say] He grins, before noticing the faltering in the Hali's expression. [say]"Everything okay?"[/say]

RE: (se) and so the best that I can do is pray (open) - Saiden - 11-01-2020

Saiden just arched an eyebrow at Ronin's cryptic comment. [say]"Did it involve sex?"[/say] Smirking, the cook waggled his eyebrows at the Dark Star.

As the cloud came at the other man's whistle, the Hali's eye widened. Nodding, he clambered aboard. [say]"Neat trick. Where can I get me one of these?"[/say] As the cloud rose, he instinctively tried to grip at it as the land fell away beneath them. He whistled an appreciative note at the view.

Chuckling at the other man's entirely accurate view of child-rearing, Saiden's laughter cut off at Ronin's question. The cook sighed at Dark Star's concern. [say]"I lost someone recently. Still...getting used to her not being here anymore."[/say]

RE: (se) and so the best that I can do is pray (open) - Ronin - 11-02-2020

[say]"It involved dream sex,"[/say] Ronin fires back at Saiden with a waggle of his own eyebrows. He's aware that he may well have just made things seem even stranger, which... they were, truth be told. Either way, Mateo is here and happy and healthy, and that is all that matters to him. They drift lazily on the nimbus and he lets out a laugh, nudging his friend gently. [say]"Oh, y'know. You just need to die and come back and the lady of the stars will give you one. I'm sure that's how it works from experience."[/say]

Soon enough they're landing before the house, though, and Ronin invites Saiden to take a seat on one of the chairs on the porch - it's where he and Remi spend a lot of their time when the house becomes too hot, after all. His expression grows a bit more grave to hear that Saiden has lost someone, and he reaches out to touch a hand to his shoulder. [say]"I'm sorry to hear that,"[/say] he murmurs. [say]"It takes a while, but... you make room for the grief, I think. I... I'll be back in a sec,"[/say] Clearing his throat, the Star disappears into the house.

And when he returns it's with a sleeping baby in his arms; a babe with a head of wild, dark curls, his face buried against Ronin's chest. [say]"Meet Mateo,"[/say] he murmurs to Saiden, moving to sink down into the seat beside him.