Court of the Fallen
[Training] do you ever really crash or even make a sound? - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: [Training] do you ever really crash or even make a sound? (/showthread.php?tid=4511)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

do you ever really crash or even make a sound? - Alina - 11-01-2020

Alina hadn't ventured back into the Hollowed Ground since Wessex had become Queen again. Although she knew it was probably a bad idea, she found herself hovering on the boundary of the two lands as night fell, spear in hand, bow on her back and quiver of arrows on her hip. Gritting her teeth, she took the plunge, crossing over the border.

Simply planning to see how things looked, she found herself in a forest far different than her precious Greatwood. These trees were struggling, the result of centuries locked under the barrier. Still, she grimaced to see the state they were in, reaching out with one hand to run her hand across bark that was brittle and thin. Flying among the treetops, she examined her surroundings, before finally descending to perch in some branches to make a closer inspection.

Anden

RE: do you ever really crash or even make a sound? - Anden - 11-01-2020

Each passing day Anden found another replacement for his past life. A substitute, maybe not quite as good as the original, but they calmed him. Sometimes they were small things, a new axe, or a child's lullaby. Sometimes though they were much larger, like the Woodland on the outskirts of the Grounds.

Growing up, Anden's favorite part of living on the edge of the Evergreen Forest was watching the trees change. The way they danced with colour before the snow fell. The new season brought a chance for the echo of his old life, to breath air into his new one.

Anden took Oliver's warning to heart. Stick to the Grounds, and make sure he could find his way to and from the portal with ease. He'd never ventured much past that. Anden knew little of Caido, and he understood the dangers the world might bring. But this was an exception. He'd been here almost a full season, and he was ready. Ready to explore more, but more importantly he was ready to see the trees dance again.

It took him longer than he had hoped to get to the woodland - but it was worth it. The vivid colours of the trees stretched in every direction. The wind rustled the branches, as the trees put on a performance for Anden's eyes alone. [say]"Home." [/say] Anden whispered. He knew he was lying to himself, but for that moment he thought it was ok. Anden plucked a red leaf off of a low-hanging branch. He twirled the leaf between his fingers, enhaling the scent of the forest.

Outside of the Grounds, this world could be beautiful.

RE: do you ever really crash or even make a sound? - Alina - 11-01-2020

The word caused Alina to stiffen. Moving as silently as she could she peered over the edge of the branch she was perched on to look at the man below. He'd plucked a leaf from a tree, causing her to frown. Examining him for a while, she worried her cheek with her teeth as she considered what to do.

Finally she sighed and jumped out of her hiding spot. Keeping to the air, she called out to the stranger. [say]"Is this your home then? The woods?"[/say] She gestured at the forest all around them, before focusing her gaze back on him. Eyes narrowing as she studied him, she looked for any sign of danger.

Anden jumped back startled as Alina revealed herself, the leaf that he cradled fell to the ground. He felt the spikes along his back start to rise. He paused, trying to calm himself down. Even in a place as beautiful as this, people found a way to startle him. Alina was... flying? Anden stared slightly confused at the woman infront of him. He knew some people like Oliver could transform into an animal, but he had no idea some people in Caido could fly.

[say]"No." [/say]Anden hesitated.[say] "This isn't my home."[/say] Though the thought did cross his mind. Would it be dark enough here for him to live? Or did someone already live deep within the thicket of the forest. Anden didn't want to risk finding either out. [say]"It does remind me of home though." [/say]

He took a step closer to the fae, unsure if they were a friend or foe. [say]"How are you doing that?"[/say] Anden asked. The Fae reminded him of the butterflies that he and Eloise Marie would chase after when they were young.

As the spikes rose on the man's back, Alina's eyes widened. She'd never seen anything like that before and she brandished her spear, putting the weapon between herself and any threat. Not moving closer to him, she just hovered in the air above him.

Staring at him, she frowned. [say]"If this isn't your home, why did you call it that?"[/say] She shook her head, eyes growing as narrow as they had been wide just a moment ago.

When he asked her that random question, her frown deepened. [say]"Doing what?"[/say] To her, flying was nothing unusual, and most people knew her kind could do it, hence her evident confusion.

It was the spear that frightened him. Anden wasn't expecting being hunted when he went out on his hike. Then again maybe she wasn't so much as hunting him as she was protecting herself.

He looked past the floating fae, and back at the forest behind her. [say]"Before, I was here. Before I was stolen away from my life."[/say] Anden cursed The Voice under his breath. [say]"I once lived in a forest like this one."[/say] The ascended stretched out his arms, taking in the forest for it all it was.

Anden returned his gaze to Alina. [say]"How are you flying?"[/say] Was this a new type of Attuned Anden hadn't encountered yet? The world of Caido was full of many mysteries. Whoever they were Anden hoped that they were less dangerous than they looked. Despite all of Oliver's warnings he had yet to find himself a weapon, and he still wasn't really sure how to use the curse that The Voice imposed on his body.

Alina tilted her head to one side at the stranger's words. [say]"What do you mean, stolen? Where are your woods now?"[/say] There wasn't a trace of sympathy in her voice, but some of the aggression had fled her posture. Still, her brow was furrowed as she tried to puzzle her way through his statements.

Blinking at the man's clarification, she glanced over her shoulder. [say]"With my wings?"[/say] They flapped behind her, holding her aloft and mostly in place. Glancing back at him, she shrugged. [say]"My kind are gifted with flight, though we don't master it until adulthood."[/say]

Narrowing her eyes at him, she lowered her spear, though still gripped it. [say]"Who are you, that you don't know this? And where did those spines come from?"[/say] She jerked her chin to try and indicate the things that had risen from his back.

RE: do you ever really crash or even make a sound? - Anden - 11-02-2020

For once it seemed as though Anden wasn't the one confused by his circumstance. He wasn't entirely sure if that was sign that he was finally becoming one with the world of Caido, or if he was just inadequate at explaining his life.

Her kind? Anden paused. She was smaller than most people he had met since he arrived last season. Perhaps she was a race all of her own. His eyes focused on the fluttering wings on her back. Dani would love to see this, he made a mental note to share his encounter with her later. [say]"Amazing."[/say] He whispered to himself.

She'd notice his spiked. Can't really be surprised though. The Voice's latest curse she'd place on him, because taking him away from his home wasn't enough. Anden brushed his back, patting the spikes down over his clothes. [say]"To answer all of your questions. The Voice."[/say] Anden said flatly.

The voice in all of their self-proclaimed glory decided to visit Anden once, and only once to congratulate him on surviving. She granted him two additional curses, though she claimed they would help him in his journey. The first were the spikes that lined his spine, the second the sticky substance that he could secrete from his palms and feet. Curses. [say]"I'm Anden, and The Voice stole me away from my world, to bring me to yours." [/say]

RE: do you ever really crash or even make a sound? - Alina - 11-02-2020

Shrugging at the stranger's praise, Alina looked at her wings once more. She didn't have an adequate response to that, since to her flying just was a part of her, so she said nothing. Shaking her head, she faced him again.

As he spoke, her brow furrowed. Then she grimaced. [say]"Ah. An Outlander, then? I haven't met any right after they arrived in this land."[/say] Her eyes ran over him, looking for some outward sign of his otherness.

[say]"And from the sounds of it...are you an Ascended?"[/say] At that, she landed, though she remained on the balls of her feet, ready to leap out of the way or into the air at a moment's notice. [say]"If so, you're the only Ascended I've met that doesn't like the Voice."[/say] She laughed, though there was no mirth in the sound.

Suddenly she smiled, though, and made sure her weapon wasn't pointing anywhere near him. [say]"I'm not a fan of hers either. In fact, maybe you could help me with something? And I can help you in return?"[/say]

An outlander. It wasn't the first time he'd heard the term used to describe himself. Though this time it didn't seem like a mother using it describe her toddler who walked into a tree. When she called Anden that, it almost felt indifferent. Everything about the fae felt indifferent, in fact. Like Anden was just another person she had stumbled upon. In a weird way it calmed Anden.

He watched as she landed on her feet. She had complete control over her flight, Anden noted. [say]"I..."[/say] Anden cradled his arm. [say]"Really haven't met many other ascended."[/say] He could only think of Bastien, but even he didn't seem to think negatively of The Voice. Was it true then? Was he really the only one who was upset with The Voice for giving him a new life.

Something about the Fae's posture seemed to see less offensive now. As if the hostility that was once there had faded. A favor? Oliver did mention that the people of Caido didn't run off currency, instead they paid each other in favors. [say]"What kind of favor are you thinking of?"[/say] Anden asked.

Shrugging, Alina ran her fingers down her shirt, brushing off some dirt, bark, and bits of leaves from her earlier inspection of the tree. [say]"I haven't met that many either,"[/say] she confessed. [say]"But from what I've heard, and that's a lot, they are a rather fanatic bunch."[/say] Grimacing, she shook her head.

Nodding as the stranger asked what she was offering in return for a favor, she gestured at the world around them. [say]"Caido is a dangerous world. I can train you to defend yourself, at least a little."[/say] She lifted her spear and waved it in the air, as if demonstrating her credentials, which in a way she was. [say]"And I wouldn't need much in return. In fact, you might not even see it as a favor in return at all."[/say] She smiled again, though her eyes had narrowed slightly.

Train him? Anden wasn't sure if Oliver would like the idea of him getting into a fight. But he couldn't expect Oliver to let him live with him forever either. If Caido really was as dangerous as people made it seem, he would need to learn to fight eventually. He opened his clenched fists, but what would he even fight with?

He eyed the women's spear. Clearly she was a trained fighter. What could Anden even gain from this fight? What if it wasn't even a training session, but a way to lure Anden into a fight to the death. No Anden pushed the thought from his mind. No one in their right mind would hunt the forests so close the settlement... Would they?

[say]"I don't have a weapon."[/say] Anden explained. He had his fists, but what could were they against a spear? [say]"But ok."[/say] If Anden wanted to one day to see what went out behind the Grounds he would need to learn to fight. He would need to learn to protect himself. [say]"I'll do it."[/say] He wasn't sure who the Fae was, or why they would want to fight with him, but he knew he couldn't let the opportunity pass by.

Snorting at the stranger's protest, Alina shook her head. When he agreed to train with her, however, she grinned. [say]"First lesson, then. Everything can be a weapon so long as you know how to use it."[/say] Bending down, she scooped up a branch from the ground, one that was long and kind of heavy, but not overly so.

She tossed it to the man with a grunt, not watching to see if he caught it. Instead, she took to the sky again. [say]"Let's see what we're working with here. Defend yourself."[/say] With that, she gained a bit of altitude, giving him time to prepare, before swooping down and aiming her spear for his shoulder.

Everything can be a weapon? Anden just barely managed to catch the stick that was thrown at him. This wasn't like when he would pretend to be a knight, and rescue Eloise Marie from their make believe monsters. This was real.

He watched in anticipation as the fae drifted off from the ground. She would strike first, he assumed. Even when she was in the air she wasn't out of reach, thankfully. Anden had seen the adventurers train before they embarked into the Evergreen Forest before. He knew what he was supposed to. As the fae swooped down, spear pointing at him, he did his best to dodge to side.

Knowing what to do, and being capable of doing so however - are two very different things. He managed to dodge the spear, but tripped over his feet in the process. Face planting into the grass. [say]"Ugh."[/say]

Anden did his best to get his footing again. [say]"You're fast." [/say]