Court of the Fallen
Cracks Among The Homes of Stone and Wood - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Cracks Among The Homes of Stone and Wood (/showthread.php?tid=4591)

Pages: 1 2

Cracks Among The Homes of Stone and Wood - Belril - 11-11-2020

Where he had been staying for the just-shy-of-year he's been here, the curly-haired boy had been residing in a hidden area among the edge of the domiciles, likely a place meant to be a basement that lost its companion home a long time ago.

It was a single room, with a sack large enough in size for him to lay upon that was filled with what clothes he could that wasn't his size and a couple of blankets over it for warmth. The ceiling had holes in it leading to the outside for air, though he had a few plants that enjoyed the relative darkness down there in pots with him for turning the air he breathed out into new air he could breathe in safely. He had never seen rain come down into the small area through the holes, which made him wonder more than once if where they came out of was shielded from the weather somehow. There was a small stone slab with makeshift alchemical equipment, with a few black marks on it to clearly indicate how things just went south and fast on him. There was other things down here with him, but they were usually small in size, like a pantry filled with fruits and vegetables that would last him for the week.

Climbing up a ladder that led out of his little hole in the ground, the teen pushed up against the door above his head that was covered by a caking of dirt that hid the entrance from view. On his back, he had a knapsack that seemed filled with fruits and vegetables he had grown, hoping to trade for more supplies he needed for his little shelter as he began to weave his way through the domiciles...

RE: Cracks Among The Homes of Stone and Wood - Wessex - 11-12-2020

It’s always rather off-putting when you go from knowing everyone in your home to having strangers suddenly pop in. Strangers who know nothing about you, your family, your history, your culture. Eventually they assimilate. Or don’t. But things are different - changed - sometimes for better and sometimes for worse, as Wessex has come to find. What one does get used to is seeing faces you don’t necessarily recognize, or vaguely recognize, in a ‘must have seen you wandering around the marketplace before’ kind of way.

They’re still strangers, though. Wessex, however, doesn’t want to be a stranger. She doesn’t want to be the icebitch in her big house, she wants to be someone the Grounders can come talk to, someone who has their back, regardless of who they follow. Is it crazy and idealistic? Sure. But those who know the only remaining Theskyra know that she’s always been up for a challenge.

There’s a boy she’s seen flitting about a couple of times, he reminds her both of a skittish colt and of Clem, with his curls and his waifish looks. It tugs unnecessarily at her heartstrings, makes her wonder if it’s just him or if he’s part of a family that’s down on their luck, if there’s anything she can do to help (part of the perks of not needing to eat, you see, she can hunt and share). That curiosity lead her to follow him one day, and as he reappears from his makeshift home, the Wraith sets herself squarely in the most used path. Perhaps he’ll come her way.

RE: Cracks Among The Homes of Stone and Wood - Belril - 11-12-2020

Belril intentionally took winding routes through the domiciles to get to the settlement to trade, mostly because of being nervous of being around others unless he had to out of need. Though, to be fair, he had good reason to be nervous. Abandoned weren't exactly welcome in most areas, after all.

Pulling his curly bangs out of his face once more, he looked left and right before heading right towards a straight path he could dash through to avoid getting caught by anyone. However, as he approached the end of the path, another figure almost half a foot taller than him walked into his path, causing a surprised sound to come out of his mouth as he tried to stop running...

...which resulted in falling over backwards, fortunately avoiding crushing the knapsack on his back with his weight. He looked up towards the figure now in the way, then started paling even more than he already was upon seeing who it was. While he had only been here less than a year, even he knew of the Queen of the Hollowed Grounds.

...there's no way I see this ending well, he thought to himself as he tried to peel himself off the ground, uttering a nervous [say]"H-hello..."[/say] as he did.

RE: Cracks Among The Homes of Stone and Wood - Wessex - 11-15-2020

It’s obvious she’s startled the boy, and that wasn’t really her intention. She’s gone and been overly dramatic - imposing - when she doesn’t have to be. Cursing inwardly, Wessex takes a few steps forward and then squats down a little and extends her hand in case he needs help up. Whether it’s taken or not, she’ll then stand and give the tiniest, awkward smile.[say] “Sorry, didn’t mean to scare you like that. I’m Wessex.”[/say]

She leaves off titles and particulars, generally finding it unnecessary and time-consuming. Most folks know who she is. No need to remind them of something they don’t always like.

[say] “You are?”[/say] She tries to set the tone as curious but non-invasive, like she’s just another person in the Ground instead of the Queen. For most of Wessex’s life that was the case, and she doesn’t see it as a real reason to act too differently.

RE: Cracks Among The Homes of Stone and Wood - Belril - 11-15-2020

[say]"I'm B-Belril,"[/say] he said after he took the hand to stand himself back up, though he looked clearly ready to bolt anyway. [say]"I was...just going to the settlement to trade what I've grown..."[/say]

Why am I getting spooked by everyone under the sun lately, he asked himself in his head as he shifted his weight from one foot to the other repeatedly. [say]"Is...is there something I...can help you with?"[/say]

While it looked to him like he wasn't in trouble or anything along those lines, it still didn't help his nerves to any real degree. It's kinda amazing he hadn't tried to bolt already.

Skittish kid...

RE: Cracks Among The Homes of Stone and Wood - Wessex - 11-17-2020

Belril. Sounds vaguely foreign, though the names of Caidonites vary from her own odd moniker to much easier ones like Henry Walker. Wessex stays where she is after the boy gets up, thinking of him a bit like a skittish colt right now - she has to prove she isn’t going to hurt him.

[say] “No. I’ve seen you around and am curious.”[/say] The reassuring look she flashes him may have the barest hint of fangs in it, but it by no means is meant to be a threat.[say] “I spent most of my life here and I was wondering if my memory was failing or if you’re new to the Grounds.”[/say] There have obviously been orphans before, people squatting in the ruins; but a community of a couple thousand people isn’t that big in the long run. You get to know faces, even if you don’t know names.

RE: Cracks Among The Homes of Stone and Wood - Belril - 11-17-2020

[say]"N-no, your memory's not failing,"[/say] Belril quickly piped up while waving his hands quickly in front of himself, not wanting to potentially insult the apparent leader of the place by making her sound like she was starting to lose her mind. [say]"...I...I came here after the last Deepfrost from elsewhere,"[/say] Belril admitted, gulping in an attempt to steady his nerves. The sliver of fang made him immediately think that the Queen was either Attuned or Ascended, the thought causing the tiniest flinch to emerge. [say]"Wonder what it's like to be noticed by them,"[/say] he muttered under his breath, though really sharp ears could catch it.

[say]"You might have seen me a few times around the Settlement trading,"[/say] he then added, pulling forward slightly the knapsack on his back...which was starting to get a little bit heavy by this point. A little bit of a pineapple stalk was poking out of the top of it into view as well.

RE: Cracks Among The Homes of Stone and Wood - Wessex - 11-22-2020

[say] “Mmmm, that must have been it,”[/say] she agrees lightly, actually unsure where she’d first seen the kid but latching on to whatever information he would give her. Sometimes she’s there herself, trading game she’s hunted for far below its value, in an effort to keep folks well-fed.[say] “Don’t worry, Belril, you’re not in trouble. Remind me a bit of someone I used to know.”[/say] Someone she loves, still, even as the anniversary of his death draws near. Gods, she’d be a fool not to acknowledge her penchant for trying to pick up people who might return that kind of affection - and then it ultimately failing.

Ah, but this isn’t supposed to be a pity party. Not for her, at least.

[say] “We can walk that way, if you like?”[/say] The suggestion comes as she steps aside to unblock the path, offering the kid a clear exit if he wants it, no strings attached.

RE: Cracks Among The Homes of Stone and Wood - Belril - 11-26-2020

Belril blinked once in slight surprise at the offer to walk with him, unsure of what to think of that at first.

On the one hand, it would be a near-guarantee that no one would mess with him...and he was tired of feeling like he always had to hide from everyone when not providing some form of service.

On the other hand, this would be the point when he would be the most-noticeable as well, and if anyone started asking about him...

[say]"I would not mind having company to the Settlement,"[/say] the young man finally said, tapping against one of the silver bracelets on his wrists to cause it to slightly spin around it. The bracelets looked like they were made by divine hands, but they also did not feel to have any inherent power, at least not anymore.

He then looked up towards Wessex, gulping before asking, [say]"I saw you had fangs, so...are you one of the Attuned or the Ascended? What's it like to be the one you are?"[/say] A question of pure curiosity, even if some could consider it a rude one by anyone not of the Accepted. He had another question in his head, but he decided to stifle it. He'd rather be played off as a young Accepted, than discovered as an Abandoned.

RE: Cracks Among The Homes of Stone and Wood - Wessex - 11-30-2020

Belril is most certainly safe if he walks with Wessex, but the Queen understands that this is a sudden, strange request from an authority figure and he has no reason to trust her. So her smile is wide when he agrees to walk with her- or rather, to let her walk with him. The repetitive tapping and fussing with some kind of metal band doesn’t go unnoticed, but she’s in no hurry to pry into everything all at once.

The Wraith waits for him to join her and then heads towards the Settlement at an easy pace.[say] “So where are you from?”[/say] comes the gentle inquiry, hands clasped behind her back to show she’s still not a threat.[say] “Elsewhere in Caido or are you an Outlander?”[/say]

But maybe it's better to talk about herself a bit, too. Pulling her lips back, she shows her upper incisors and runs her tongue along the tip of the side closes to Belril.[say] "Ascended. Um... in a nutshell, it's very different, and I'm not even a typical Ascended. I'm a demigod, which I guess is closes to an Abandoned-Ascended mix, which... is complicated, in some ways. There've been a lot of sacrifices, but I've found it more rewarding than almost anything before, so..."[/say] Shrugging, Wessex glances appraisingly down at him.[say] "Anything, in particular, you're curious about?"[/say]

RE: Cracks Among The Homes of Stone and Wood - Belril - 12-02-2020

Belril, upon the thought of him being an Outlander, has him raising an eyebrow at Wessex as they walked on. [say]"I was born in Torchline,"[/say] Belril said, a slight frown on his face, not saying further to let the brain assume he was also recently from Torchline.

[say]"What...all can you do as an Ascended,"[/say] Belril asked, still confused as to why there was such an uproar about them. [say]"I've heard some conflicting things, like being able to tell someone what you're thinking, even from a long distance, without having to say a word or even make a sound, for example."[/say]

After saying that, Belril glanced up towards the sky for a moment before returning his gaze back towards Wessex. [say]"And if you can do that...how often do you end up having a conversation interrupted by someone because they have no idea you're having one?"[/say]

RE: Cracks Among The Homes of Stone and Wood - Wessex - 12-04-2020

Torchlight, then. Filing it away, Wessex just nods in acceptance of his explanation, never thinking to question otherwise.

[say] “Me?”[/say] she clarifies, wanting to make him understand that she speaks only of herself.[say] “Yes…”[/say] slowly, the Wraith draws out, wondering how much to let on.[say] “I can do that. I can talk to any Ascended, anywhere. If I want to.”[/say] The same can’t be said in reverse, but that’s another question.

[say] “Well, not that often. It’s kinda rude, isn’t it, to hold private conversations and public ones at the same time? Unless it needs to be secret. Think of it like an Attuned bond.”[/say] More or less. And with two races mentioned in one conversation, she tilts her head down to the boy,[say] “And you? Not Ascended, so…?”[/say] what race does he lay claim to - and by implication (though she’ll soon find it’s not a hard and fast rule) - what Gods? Is he a potential liability? Or an ally?

RE: Cracks Among The Homes of Stone and Wood - Belril - 12-04-2020

Belril gave a blank look at the mention of an Attuned bond, not really understanding how that functions, either. [say]"I...don't know what that's like, either,"[/say] he confessed in response to the comparison. At being asked what race he was, he stumbled in his steps for a moment, fear creeping back in.

[say]"...you're...you're not...going to abandon me, too...are you,"[/say] he asked as he finally stopped, a look that was mixed with worry and hurt. [say]"I don't want to be on my own, not again..."[/say] Glancing towards his wrists, he began nervously spinning one of the bracelets on his wrists a few times, stopping when the large circle at one point was back on the back of his hand.

RE: Cracks Among The Homes of Stone and Wood - Wessex - 12-06-2020

That’s a big mental leap to make - from race to straight up abandonment. Wessex just thought they were having a casual conversation, and then all of a sudden the kid is asking is she’s going to abandon him too? If it weren’t for his use of the word, and if it weren’t for a quick retracing of their conversation (not one of the Attuned -), she might be very confused. Her brow furrows as she stops completely and turns to him. Visibly concerned, she reaches out to lay a gentle hand on his shoulder if he’ll allow it.[say] “Belril,”[/say] she begins slowly,[say] “Were you abandoned because you are -”[/say] no, that’s not the right phrasing.

[say] “Because you have magic?”[/say] She finally finishes, trying to keep the pity out of her gaze. Gods, even Wessex, shitty kid and semi-fucked up adult that she was, was never abandoned for being that way. Even with an anti-magic simmering sentiment among the Naturals, what kind of parents would do that?