Court of the Fallen
Been Exploring - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Been Exploring (/showthread.php?tid=4629)

Pages: 1 2

Been Exploring - Delphine - 11-16-2020

Delphine had been teleported to The Greatwood by the dragon. She was there one moment, gone the next. The cold of Halo was replaced by trees all around her. It was interesting enough, and she stuck around to explore The Greatwood a bit, gathering mushrooms and plants that intrigued her.

And then, she left. But she stuck around The Hollowed Grounds, not really exploring because she'd lived there for a while, but stopping to talk to people that probably did not remember her. The poor mother with two unruly heathens.

And... well, she wasn't ready to go home. She took this opportunity to cool down from her fight with Noah before her disappearance and stock up on new paints. Then, just because she could, she spent a few days in Torchline, painting the ocean. It was a lot of traveling for someone who had once refused to travel. She hoped that she'd be fine settling in Halo.

Hopefully, for the longterm. She missed the trees, plants. She missed the wide variety of food she had access to outside of Halo. But damn it, she loved her Halovian. Eventually, though, it was only fair to return home lest Noah decides to hold a funeral for her. How awkward that would be.

She clasped her various furs around herself, ensured her bags were secure and entered the portal that would take her home. She wasted very little time in actually making her way to Snowcloak and then home.

It was empty, she realized, as she stepped through the door. The fire needed wood, so she deposited her bags in front of the door and disappeared outside to find kindling.

Noah

RE: Been Exploring - Noah - 11-17-2020

The shift came to him on the wind of the tundra. It was a tingle in his bones that moved down and down and down until he could feel it in his soul. He gave in to the feeling, closing glacier eyes as his bones twisted and his skin grew fur and upon the tundra stood a great white bear.

There were very few times in his life Noah could truly remember feeling powerful, but this new shift brought the feeling in waves that warmed him to the core.

The great beast stalked across the tundra unafraid, ear rotating and nose twitching for any sign of the woman he loved. He looked for her every day -- from the fangs, to the Citadel, out to the sea, and back each day. It was a tiring task, but one he would not stop.

He made his way back to Snowcloak in the quiet of the night. Doors were closed too tightly for anyone to notice him, and he had shifted briefly before the guards at the gates to be let back in. He made his way down the street he and Delphine lived on in his human form, but stopped a close 100 yards off. He noticed how the light through the window flickered low and thought he needed to gather wood. Shifting back to his most powerful form, the bear lumbered towards the house.

RE: Been Exploring - Delphine - 11-17-2020

Delphine was plucking wood out of the pile, shaking snow off of each piece she picked up. She worked slowly, taking no notice that anyone was coming towards the house; until she turned around and found herself staring at a large, white bear.

Hugging the wood to her front, she stared at the creature. She remembered her father had once told her, if she came across a grizzly bear, she was supposed to stand still. But with a black bear you had to make yourself big.What were you supposed to do for a polar bear? Her father had never covered them.

So, after a moment of looking between the bear, the wood pile, and the house, Delphine carefully placed the pile between herself and the bear, and debated on whether she could run to the house before it got her. Probably not... Deciding she still had to try, she dropped the wood and darted straight—choosing to go behind the house and around, to the front door.

Unless the bear got her.

Then she was bear food.

RE: Been Exploring - Noah - 11-20-2020

This form gave him keener eyesight than his human form, and he saw the form of the human stop as he rounded towards his home. He stopped in his own tracks, raising his massive head to get a better look. He didn't need to rely on his eyes, however, to figure out who the person was. His nostrils flared and his senses were instantly flooded with her. His heart skipped over itself, stumbling and flailing, as he took off towards the house and the woman without a second thought. His heart raced and he watched as she panicked and ran, too, towards the house.

Noah did not even think twice about how his appearance could have startled in. It was almost as if he forgot that he was a massive, thousand-pound polar bear charging a human. He met her as she opened the door and he leaped. His passive body changed mid-air and he came down upon her, tackling her and enveloping her in all he was in his human form. He wrapped his arms around her and twisted both of their bodies, bringing them crashing down but with his body taking most of the force from colliding with the cold, wooden floor. [say]"Del, oh Del, oh,"[/say] He pressed his face into her hair, planting kisses all of her face and her neck and her head, breathing all of her in as he kept her body close to his.

RE: Been Exploring - Delphine - 11-20-2020

The bear was running after her. It was going to get her... no, no it wasn't. She yanked the door open and... she realized it was definitely going to get her. Noah would come home and find her in pieces.

Delphine screamed as the bear jumped at her, and she closed her eyes tightly. What a time to die.

Only to feel a not-very-furry-at-all form collide with her, and settle under her. She heard her name, felt his kisses, and... She buried her face against his chest, silent for a moment before she began to laugh. [say]"Oh my gods. Noah! When did you get a bear?!"[/say] She giggled softly, pressing kisses to his face, patting his cheek gently.

[say]"I thought I was about to be bear food, Noah Olson."[/say] She scolded softly, hugging his neck. After a few more minutes, she murmured, [say]"The fire's gonna go out."[/say]

RE: Been Exploring - Noah - 11-21-2020

The hunter could not give room for himself to care about scaring her. He hadn't meant to, and he knew she would not be scarred for the rest of her life. What she could be scarred by, however, was what had happened to her on the tundra. [say]"Delphine..where have you been? What happened? Did the dragon hurt you?"[/say] He pushed her up some and slid his body out from under her to bring himself up to a sitting position. He held her by the shoulders and looked her up and down, turning her body and manipulating it so he could see all of her. [say]"I was so worried about you. I searched every day and could not find you."[/say]

He scooted close to her and pulled her against him again. He breathed in her scent and let the comforting feeling of her warm body pressed against his fill his heart. He did not want to let her go, even as she mentioned the fire. [say]"I don't care about the fire. I only care about you."[/say] The hunter's eyes welled up as he held her, his arms tightening around her as he pressed his cheek into her golden hair.

RE: Been Exploring - Delphine - 11-21-2020

Delphine puffed her cheeks out, shaking her head. [say]"It just sent me to the Greatwood."[/say] She frowned slightly when he admitted his searches for her, and she pressed a kiss to his shoulder, curling her arms around him.

Tighter and tighter. [say]"I decided to explore the forest, and... stopped in at Torchline for some more fruit and veggies, paints, and—"[/say] she paused, biting her lip. [say]"—well, I can show you what I got you later. Hey, Noah?"[/say] She shifted in his hold, not pulling away, simply adjusting. She reached to cup his cheeks in her hands, adjusting his head so that she could look him in his eyes.

[say]"Marry me?"[/say] She'd said those two words calmly but, then she was babbling.

[say]"Ithoughtthatdragonwa'gonnaeatme,andthenitdidn'tbutIwoundupinafaegraveyardwhichisreallyjustalotoftreeswithweird barkandImissedyouandwillyoumarryme?"[/say] (I thought that dragon was gonna eat me, and then it didn't but I wound up in a fae graveyard which is really just a lot of trees with weird bark and I missed you and will you marry me?)

It wasn't entirely impulsive if you happened to forget the fact she still hadn't told the man that was holding her that... well, she loved him. She'd not said it out loud, yet, but 'marry me' was in her vocabulary.

Apparently.

RE: Been Exploring - Noah - 11-22-2020

Noah leaned back from her as she spoke, and listened to her words carefully. His eyebrows knit together as she recalled what had happened to her. He was one part relieved that the dragon had not caused her any harm, and one part amazed -- frustrated? -- at her actions. [say]"You...why didn't you try to contact me? To tell me you were safe? Delphine--I--"[/say] His jaw left open and his voice cracked with his rising emotions, [say]"--I was worried sick looking for you."[/say] He looked at her, hard, his face contorted with all of the emotions he felt.

In a fury of words and her own emotion, she asked him to marry her. He closed his mouth and reached for her hands, cupping both of them in his. He looked down at them, his calloused fingers running over her smooth skin. Even now, they were stained from paints and berries and gods knew what else. [say]"Delphine,"[/say] He sighed, [say]"I love you. I love you so much sometimes it hurts me. But, do you even feel that for me?"[/say] His question was honest, and raw, and vulnerable. He felt he already knew the answer -- the woman had disappeared from the tundra at the hands of a dragon and he searched and searched and searched and she...went for a vacation.

RE: Been Exploring - Delphine - 11-22-2020

Delphine furrowed her brows, mumbling, [say]"I thought you were still mad at me. For relapsing."[/say] She puffed her cheeks out, [say]"I miss trees and... and plant life. I thought you'd make me come home."[/say] She defended herself, quietly. Even as she spoke, though, it seemed her actions and the consequences were finally clicking.

She had a habit of doing without thinking.

[say]"I didn't... think about how not knowing if I was okay would make you feel."[/say] She spoke slowly, as if the words were hard to say. And really, they were. She dove headfirst into everything, never stopped to consider others.

She studied their joined hands, in silence for a moment or two. [say]"I do love you."[/say] Though sometimes she felt guilty for loving him; like now, saying it aloud. He wasn't Bellamy, would never be Bellamy, and some part of her thought it was wrong.

[say]"I... don't think love should hurt, Noah."[/say] She shifted her hands in his, [say]"Love with Bellamy hurt."[/say] It was an unspoken realization—she was hurting him, by letting him love her. With Bellamy, Delphine had known she was a pawn, she was second-best, chosen for her easy-to-manipulate demeanor, her abilities.

But with Noah...? His love didn't hurt. She was still studying their joined hands, not meeting his gaze. Delphine was trying to process, to pick out whether she was so similar to her ex-husband that she didn't even realize, or if she was just so self-centered that she never thought about someone other than herself.

RE: Been Exploring - Noah - 11-23-2020

The truth was, he had still been mad. When they encountered the dragon on the tundra, it was the first time Noah had laid eyes on the woman since her relapse. He was angry. He thought they had worked through it (obviously, Noah didn't really know how addiction worked). [say]"When I saw you out there, in danger of that dragon, I couldn't think of anything else except protecting you. It doesn't negate your actions, which were still wrong, but my love for you made my anger go away to protect you. And I couldn't. That broke my heart in ways that I could not predict. Loving you hurts because the thought of losing you hurts."[/say] He lifted his eyes up to her.

[say]"But I need you to love me, too, Delphine. You can say it,"[/say] Even though when he asked her and she replied, it was the first time he had heard it, [say]"but if you don't act it, I can't believe you. My world crumbled around me when I thought you were dead. But you--you didn't even care enough to send me a raven. You went on about like a tourist."[/say] His eyes welled up again and he stood up. He looked down at her for a moment before striding towards the fire. She was right, it was going out. He looked around, but there was no wood to replace it. That must have been why she was outside, he thought to himself.

[say]"If you can't love me, and love me right...then I cannot marry you."[/say] He said, leaning on his elbows above the hearth of the fire.

RE: Been Exploring - Delphine - 11-23-2020

Delphine was listening, sniffling softly. His words should have reassured her that she wasn't like the shadow man. Loving her hurt because losing her would hurt worse. That was definitely not something her ex had done...

But then, his next words made the slight resolve that maybe she was nothing like Bellamy Rowan crumble. She stayed where she'd fallen, watching him from her place on the floor. And quietly, she whispered, [say]"I didn't... used to be so selfish."[/say] She pulled her knees to her chest, watching the fire.

It was low, she'd not managed to bring any of the wood in when she was running from the bear. Her gaze raised from the fire to Noah, and she exhaled slowly, softly. [say]"I... love you, Noah Olson. I've been really afraid to say it because maybe it'd fall apart, or you'd die, or I'd find out you were just using me but..."[/say] She hugged her knees, [say]"I think I'm the one that messed up, because... I was scared of you being like my shadow man."[/say] Many of her nightmares were about Bellamy, the girls, Northaven, and Northwind.

She sniffed softly, [say]"But I think I'm just like him."[/say] Her voice broke at those words, and she closed her eyes. All of her worst nightmares seemed to be coming true, except it wasn't Noah that was causing it, it was her. One of those nights, when she'd woke in tears from a nightmare, she'd told him a bit more about Bellamy.

Delphine eventually pushed herself to her feet, stepped over her bags, and headed to the couch. [say]"Do..."[/say] ...you want me to stay? To leave? She shook her head, she didn't have the right to ask that. She didn't have the right to ask for a second chance. So instead, she clearly spoke two words that she rarely said. [say]"I'm sorry."[/say]

He continued to lean against the stonework of the hearth as she spoke. He listened well, though his entire being was totally overcome by all of this emotion. Tears welled up in his eyes and be blinked them back. Stones rose in this throat and he swallowed them down. Noah did know of Bellamy's involvement in Delphine's life. While he hadn't made the connection before that her time with him had corrupted her heart, he could see it as she, too, saw it.

The floorboards creaked familiarly beneath her feet and Noah turned to face her. She was crying, but it did not make him yield. Her apology hit his ears and he softened, some. his arms fell limp at his side, fingers uncoiled. Before he might have stood there in anger, with his hands as iron fists. But now, he did not have the energy. He was depleted. He was tired. He hurt. [say]"I think we can fix this...but you have to try, too. You have to do work. I can't be the only one carrying the love, here."[/say] He sighed.

RE: Been Exploring - Delphine - 11-23-2020

There were so many doubts, so much fear. His words could only calm her somewhat. His words gave her the chance to learn to show love, to care for him as he cared for her... But they did not offer solutions on how to do that. With Bellamy she cooked, she cleaned, she kept the house, that was all that was required. Certainly, he took her on a date, right after they'd wed... But mostly Bellamy had inserted himself into her life at every chance, and she had to do very little to keep him.

But Noah... was work. And she was a bit spoiled in putting in work with someone she loved.

[say]"I... don't know what to do."[/say] She admitted quietly, wiping her face and curling into the couch. [say]"More housework and more sex?"[/say] She mumbled the question, furrowing her brows. That sounded wrong, Noah didn't want to impose rules on her but she was grasping. She was grasping at straws, pulling at the wrong straws.

How did one show they loved someone? She'd not been good at this with her children and hadn't had to know how to do it with Bellamy. [say]"I'm sorry, I... I can be a good girl."[/say] She promised, quietly.

Whether that meant giving up all of her vices, cleaning his home, or something else she thought would show him that she loved him, she couldn't decide. She wanted to get up and find a sketchpad so she could make a list of all the things she knew Noah liked, but she stayed put, mulling over her thoughts.

After a moment she spoke up, [say]"My mother used to say that loving someone means trying, but she never told me how to try."[/say] Delphine shifted on the couch, [say]"Can... Can we have more rules? More structure? I think they help."[/say] Rules and structure were her norms after her parents had died, from her brother to her ex-husband, rules and structure were everything.

Not to mention, Delphine really did find it incredibly pleasing when someone else took over her life; no decisions, no worry about upsetting the other person because it was all laid out in front of her, but best of all, no anxiety over decisions. With Alder, it had been annoying, but with Bellamy... well, some part of her had loved it. She was also her most responsive to Noah when he got rough or gave her orders.

Noah was putting the pieces together of how broken this woman truly was as she cried before him. She grasped for the shadows of her old life, of her marriage. She grasped for what she knew, for anything to help her in this confrontation. She offered him more sex and for their house to be nicer.  It only made him clench his jaw in frustration. She seemed to know that was not the right answer, though, as she moved on quickly. The anger he would have felt before started to bubble and well in his gut as she moved desperately for the quick, right answer. Was she serious? Noah's hands slowly clenched into fists, but he released them. He actively moved against the anger. He sat in his chair beside the fire.

[say]"I'm not going to give you rules. I'm not your master."[/say] He hissed the word master. It left a horrid taste in his mouth. [say]"If that's what you're looking for, if that's what you need....then I can't be the person to give it to you."[/say] He sighed, heavily, the weight of his words falling like a judge's gavel against his own heart. [say]"I won't control you."[/say] He rested his head in his hands, elbows propped on his knees. He ran his fingers halfway through his hair, the tears finally breaking through the dam of his eyelashes. He tried to blink them away, but some hit the dusty floor beneath him.