Court of the Fallen
[OPEN SE] nothing but the best - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: [OPEN SE] nothing but the best (/showthread.php?tid=4675)

Pages: 1 2

[OPEN SE] nothing but the best - Bastien - 11-23-2020

If anyone had ever had the gall to say that Bastien De Rosieres was not simply the most extravagant, fantastic man they had ever known, they would regret the statement now. Just as the sun was dipping from the sky he brought out from the doors of the Artist's Sanctuary large sheets and planks, each about as tall as he was, and began to arrange them. Those passing by would notice that the sheets were painted with stars and constellations, the deep blue colour punctuated by sewn holes and gold accents of paint.

This construction was to be his lantern. As if Rexanna could be represented by some piddly little box! No, his wife deserved the best, and he was going to make sure she got it. One side of the lantern bore a life-size portrait of Rexanna, in the golden dress he remembered painting her in the first time and the other side a painting of her with him and Azrael, something personal written in Italian beneath.

There were a few things left to do, which he needed it constructed for; the Artist's Sanctuary had low ceilings and so Bastien had had to take his work out into the street, where he began to carve the planks that formed the edges of the 'lantern' into curving, waving shapes, far more aesthetically pleasing than mere plain wood.

RE: [OPEN SE] nothing but the best - Amun - 11-25-2020

Amun had been inside the Artist's Sanctuary, making some improvements. After having already installed a shelving unit recently, he'd decided to put in some drawers as well. After lugging a huge chunk of metal into one corner, he'd laid his hands on it. It began to ripple and morph under his hands. The drawers were easy enough to make, and he made sure to include a lightning bolt motif on the outside so it was both decorative and functional.

Although the potter had been aware of Bastien coming in and out, Amun hadn't said anything. It was only when he had finished installing the drawers that he went out to see what his fellow Ascended was up to. The potter snagged some spare metal as he did, rolling it between his palms.

Raising an eyebrow at Bastien's work, Amun walked in a circle around it. [say]"It's beautiful."[/say] He shot the other man a look. [say]"How're you planning to transport it?"[/say]

RE: [OPEN SE] nothing but the best - Iris - 11-27-2020

The last time she visited the Artist's Sanctuary it was to craft a carefully worded message to Ludo and his apparitions. This time, she came for her own piece of mind.

Upon arriving she saw a construction site separating her from the entrance. Her eyes were immediately drawn to the soft-looking fabrics in decadent cerulean. How she missed the simple luxury of comfortable bedding. Tearing her gaze away, she saw a portrait of a woman, lavishly dressed and distinctly beautiful.

Finally, finding her way around the materials strewn around the construction in the making, she noticed a familiar face. Iris smiled at the craftsman, giving a small incline of the head in gratitude for the help he'd offered with her last artistic venture. [say]"Nice to see you again."[/say] Noticing the other man, she nodded in greeting. [say]"Are you two preparing a performance?"[/say] She could easily picture the brunette as the lead of a play, portraying a tragically enamored aristocrat, and the materials forming an elaborate stage.

RE: [OPEN SE] nothing but the best - Bastien - 11-29-2020

Bastien paused in his carving efforts as Amun came up behind and circled the lantern, waiting to hear his opinions; normally he didn't care much what other people had to say about his art (though he was more than willing to drink in praise), but he found himself actually rather conscious about this. They had all known Rexanna, had known just how radiant she had been, and he knew he was expected to create a memorial worth of her. Amuns compliment brought a relieved smile to his face; at least it seemed he had convinced one person he was trying his best to capture her essence. [say]"Thank you, my friend. I have made a palette, with wheels...I will have to lift it on, but...that is a concern for later."[/say]

Also possibly a team effort, with Bastien unsure he could manage the whole ungainly thing onto the palette without falling over.

It seemed his work hadn't just attracted the attention of his fellow guild member; Bastien looked over to the new voice, then to Amun as she addressed him. [say]"A friend of yours, Amun?"[/say] He asked, before turning and giving her a small bow. [say]"Bastien De Rosieres. And no, I'm afraid not. I'm making a piece for the Festival of Lights, at the end of this season. To memorialise the dead, you see. Specifically...my wife."[/say] An awkward subject for a first meeting, but it was going to come up; better to get it out quickly.

RE: [OPEN SE] nothing but the best - Amun - 11-30-2020

Nodding at Bastien's explanation, Amun walked around the structure again. He swept his gaze up and down and across it, trying to eyeball the dimensions. [say]"You should check if it will fit through the portal. And let me know if you need help with it."[/say] He glanced over at the other man.

When Iris arrived, the potter grinned at her. [say]"Nice to see you again too. And we're friendly, if not friends."[/say] Leaving his fellow Ascended to explain the art, Amun held up the metal in his hands. Activating his upgrade, it began to ripple and move, shifting in ways that metal normally did. He began to shape it, his imagination providing the structure for his own lantern.

RE: [OPEN SE] nothing but the best - Iris - 12-04-2020

Iris let her lips spread into a jovial smile at Amun's introduction. The craftsman was easy to get along with, and she appreciated the familiarity. A friendly face made the increasingly grim Hollowed Grounds seem more comfortable, if only by a bit.

Rather easily, the other man drew her attention. Amused by his mannerism she offered a small curtsy in return. Her smile subsided however, as in the same breath he unveiled the deeply personal reasoning behind his invention. [say]"Ah..."[/say] Iris wasn't very well equipped to deal with grief, be it her own or other people's, but she did usually know the right words to say. [say]"She must have been quite the woman to receive a tribute like this."[/say] One would think she was a deity, just by the size of the thing. [say]"I'm Siri. A pleasure."[/say]

The season brought about intermittent melancholy, the man desperate to prove his love to a dead woman standing as the perfect example. Iris had to wonder if he was compensating for something. But, rather than linger on a whole set of emotions foreign to her, she let her attention be drawn by Amun as he made metal dance beneath his touch. [say]"I was hoping to run into you. I might need a little help this time around as well. I'll be making a lantern too. Something simple I think."[/say]

As with most things, Iris had this project planned out. She mostly planned for it to take considerably less time and effort than the last one.

RE: [OPEN SE] nothing but the best - Bastien - 12-05-2020

[say]"If it does not fit, I will make a new portal for it."[/say] Bastien declared proudly; honestly, he didn't want to even imagine the possibility that it wouldn't fit. Really, the solution would be to take it apart and hope to assemble it again at their destination, but he refused to entertain that thought until absolutely necessary. Hopefully, it would just all work out, as it usually seemed to for him (except the time his wife died but shush).

He smiled and nodded, taking the chance to praise Rexanna wherever it came: [say]"She was the woman of all women and the Queen of all Queens. That I was lucky enough to live within her glow in my life will always be my greatest pride."[/say] The smile was distant for a moment, Bastien's eyes losing themselves somewhere in the lantern, but he wrestled himself back soon enough, in time to look interested at Amun's summation of their relationship and the introduction.

[say]"Siri."[/say] He repeated, then watched in amazement at Amun's trick. [say]"Very impressive. If it is not too much of an invasion, who is it you shall be making your lantern for, Siri?"[/say]

RE: [OPEN SE] nothing but the best - Amun - 12-06-2020

Raising an eyebrow at Bastien's claim, Amun grinned. [say]"Good idea, but if it comes to it, disassembling it and reassembling it might be easier all around."[/say] He winked at the artist. [say]"We'll keep the portal in reserve though."[/say] Laughing, the potter leaned against the wall by the entrance to the Sanctuary.

[say]"She was,"[/say] he agreed with the other man and Siri. With that, Amun continued working with his metal. Nodding at Bastien's compliment, the potter let the other two discuss their lanterns as he focused on his. A cloaked and robed figure began to take shape in his hands, with wisps of cloth coiling off of it in every direction.

RE: [OPEN SE] nothing but the best - Iris - 12-09-2020

Bastien was the sharing type, it seemed. His hyperbolic praise paled in light of the desperate sort of sadness he exuded. The kind people got lost in, if they lacked the strength to pull themselves out. Stepping over one of the planks belonging to the woman of all women, Iris stood by the wall, next to Amun. She wondered if the two were friends as she watched him, once again, mold metal as if it were water. She agreed, it was impressive.

Seeing no harm in sating Bastien's curiosity, she explained. [say]"For my father. He lost his head a little over two years ago."[/say] Was the statement made a bit too flatly? Perhaps. [say]"I better get my materials and get started."[/say] Iris walked into the Artist's Sanctuary, noting that the space seemed to have morphed from the last time she was there, if only from the seemingly random littering of artists' supplies and projects.

Having bought what she needed, she stopped by the kitchen, retrieving three glasses before heading out. Out on the street again, she raised them in offering, [say]"Care to wet your palates, gentlemen?"[/say] She nodded at Bastien, [say]"It's written somewhere that no heavy lifting should be done without the appropriate lubricant."[/say] Extending a glass to Amun, she added, [say]"As a 'tank you' to the helpful artist, I've brought out some of Torchline's finest. It was father's favorite."[/say]

RE: [OPEN SE] nothing but the best - Bastien - 12-14-2020

[say]"Mmmm."[/say] Bastien reluctantly responded to Amun's suggestion, clearly not taking it to heart; there was something of a diva in him after all (who would have guessed) and he could not stand the thought of taking apart the lantern, with all the work in it and who it was made for. It would stay whole one way or another, that much he was determined about.

Though thoughts of his preciousness surrounding his work dissipated almost immediately as Siri rather glibly announced her fathers death. [say]"Well. I'm sure he'd be glad you're remembering him."[/say] Bastien finally settled on saying, unsure of how else to respond to such a flat statement of decapitation. Thankfully it seemed Siri didn't want to linger on it, disappearing briefly into his Sanctuary (the confidence with which she did so brought a slight amused tilt to his lips) and returning with glasses.

[say]"Ah, if only I could feel any of it's benefits, but I will partake nonetheless."[/say] He'd never turned down a drink. Taking a glass from Siri, he would sip at it, trying to keep the liquid in his mouth to taste it as fully as he could with his dull taste buds. [say]"Ah, very nice. Refreshing and light, like the place itself."[/say]

RE: [OPEN SE] nothing but the best - Amun - 12-15-2020

Amun had been staring at his metal, pinching one of the ragged ends and pulling it at an angle. However, his head shot up as Siri revealed who her lantern was for. [say]"Your dad was decapitated?!"[/say] Wincing, he shook his head. [say]"My condolences."[/say] Eying her as she entered the Sanctuary again, he shifted his gaze to Bastien and raised an eyebrow.

Grinning at her, the potter shook his head. [say]"Unlike my friend Bastien here, I prefer not to torture myself with reminders of my mortal life."[/say] He winked at the woman, then inclined his head at the third glass she held. [say]"Fell free to drink my portion. I wouldn't want it to go to waste, especially since it has sentimental value."[/say]

RE: [OPEN SE] nothing but the best - Iris - 12-18-2020

Having given only a silent nod at the artists' condolences, Iris was happy to brush the unpleasant matter side. The season was far too turbulent for her liking, stirring up things best left buried. She was more than eager for the whole parade to be over.

Still, it stirred something in her. A need to honor the dead, even though doing so meant more to her than it ever will to them. She filled two of the glasses, handing one to Bastien and raising the other in silent cheers. [say]"Not to worry, it won't go to waste. But you see my predicament. What sort of gift could I offer a man who can't enjoy base sensations? Can you get drunk, at least, or have you given that pleasure up, as well?"[/say] She looked to Amun for an explanation, thoroughly put off by the notion of liquor derived of all purpose.

[say]"You've a keen palate, Bastien."[/say] An appreciative smile was sent his way. There was nothing like a drinking companion to soothe homesickness, even though he merely appeared to be humoring her. The Grounders' entertainment seem to lack in quantity and quality. Perhaps it was because of the spirit-dampening effect of overcast skies, the abundance of Ascended indifferent to earthly pleasures, or the tragic mood Ludo's season carried. Perhaps she just hadn't met the right people yet. [say]"What do you do for fun in these parts, when ghosts aren't skulking about?"[/say]

Iris dug into her bag, pulling out the metal frame she'd just bought. Shaped like a rather standard lantern with a wooden base fitted in the bottom and a candle base fixed in its center, it would make Iris' crafting process quick and easy. She pulled out a dagger and started carving a message into the wood.

RE: [OPEN SE] nothing but the best - Bastien - 12-19-2020

Amun denied himself the drink, which Bastien felt was odd; what was the harm, when it would do nothing to them anyway? It helped him to feel normal, back to his usual hedonistic self for a moment, and that was a blessing to him, not a painful memory. Shaking his head and raising his eyebrows, he gladly responded to Siri's cheer and knocked back the glass. [say]"We cannot get drunk, no. Nor can we taste food properly, or feel most sensations. The price you pay for immortality."[/say]

And yet, even with his decadent heart, he'd Ascend all over again. [say]"That said, we do have some work arounds...occasionally, in these Grounds, we visit a place where some of those sensations return."[/say] The almost mischievous smile on his face implied that the 'sensations' revived in that place were not the sort of thing one usually brought up in polite company. [say]"For the most part though? I paint, I dance, I walk. Take in the world around me with none of the distractions of human need. I am unfortunately old enough now to not need constant excitement."[/say]

RE: [OPEN SE] nothing but the best - Amun - 12-21-2020

Amun didn't get an answer to his question. Not asking another, he just shrugged at Siri's own inquiry. Gesturing at Bastien, the potter nodded. [say]"What he said."[/say] He pulled another strand of metal from the figure in his hands, which was now a woman clad in rags and a hooded robe.

At the mention of a room where physical sensations could be restored, his head snapped up. Jaw dropping, he blinked at the artist. [say]"Wait, really? Where?"[/say] Amun leaned towards Bastien, eyes intent on the artist.

However, the potter glanced towards the woman when she asked about fun activities. Chuckling, he winked at her. [say]"He's being modest. We've got a tavern, same as anywhere else. And this one throws the best party ever."[/say] He elbowed Bastien in the ribs. [say]"We have music and dancing and drinks, all the works really."[/say]