Court of the Fallen
walk through the fire - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: walk through the fire (/showthread.php?tid=5144)

walk through the fire - Azrael - 03-04-2021

There had been some recovery period once LongNight had ended. Why, might you ask? Because in their attempts to try and heal their family… Well, they’d blacked out. They’d malfunctioned and everything had gone black and they were prone and useless if it weren’t for their father. And for a new child? A new adult that is met when the sun finally rises again? Well, that was a terrifying feeling.

It was something they’d never wished to do again if ever given the chance.

And it was a terror that they were still coming to grips with, running through their system scans over and over again in the hopes it wouldn’t happen again. Yet, here they were, alive thankfully, and as grown physically as they can be. So they tread down the stairs of the Artist’s Sanctuary, seeking out their father with bright brown and blue hued eyes, standing just a few inches shorter than Bastien now with that final growth spurt that had overcome them the last few weeks of Deepfrost. “[say]Papa, are you painting?[/say]” They call out as they descend the stairs, ducking their head into the main room where their father typically kept his easel.

RE: walk through the fire - Bastien - 03-04-2021

Longnight had indeed been troubling. Overall successful, in so that everyone he cared for survived, but...it had been harrowing, far too close in far too many ways and it had hardly felt like a victory against the monsters. Importantly though, Azrael had made it to the other side along with him. Bastien felt like he could face his wife when he went to the next life, promise he'd done his best to protect their child.

He was actually tidying, when Azrael came down the stairs. While some general mess was good for a bohemian atmosphere, too much became distracting, and the fires of Longnight in addition to the general chaos of the time had made the Sanctuary distinctly scruffy. Pittore scrubbed ash and soot from the edges of the windows while Bastien walked about reorganising piles of paints, canvases and sculptures.

Hearing Azrael (and Gods, their voice had really changed recently) he turned to smile at the door. [say]"Not right now, but hopefully later today. I could set up things for you to paint, if you would like, though?"[/say] He offered, gesturing with a hand to loosely where the easels were.

RE: walk through the fire - Azrael - 03-04-2021

They hear the shuffling of items, the scrubbing of Pittore at the windows, and they guide themselves toward it after they’d called out. Their father’s voice reaches them and they step through the door to see the smile on Bastien’s face, offering a smile to him of their own. “[say]Oh, it’s okay.[/say]” They shrug, stepping into the room and offering a small wave to Pittore as they usually did. They look around to see what exactly Bastien was tidying, before they pick up a broom and begin to work to brush some of the dirt into a pile.

“[say]We could paint together later once we clean this all up, maybe?[/say]” To this, they offer an easier smile, continuing to brush the dirt into piles to make it easier to pick up. But there’s a question that’s been burning on the back of their mind, a statement that comes along with everything else. And it’s this, as the silence stretches on (easily, thankfully), that they lift their head back toward their father with a tilt of their head – still childish in some aspects. “[say]I think I’m done growing.[/say]” They offer, letting their dark gaze ringed in blue lift to Bastien, a soft smile on their face.

RE: walk through the fire - Bastien - 03-08-2021

Smiling at Azrael immediately going to help (as far as teenagers went, he really had lucked out), Bastien nodded. [say]"Absolutely. Perhaps it would be good to commit the memories of these past weeks onto the canvas. They have been bouncing on the sides of my head."[/say] It was often the only way he could put things to rest, by marking them out in paint and pencil, putting them somewhere else other than just in his mind.

There was a moment of quiet, though Bastien fancied he could feel some sort of tension in the air, anticipation; when Azrael did finally speak he was relieved to hear it was, for now, not anything too dramatic. The thought did make him pause though, sadly smiling to himself with a nod. [say]"Yes, I'd agree. I've often heard parents lament how quickly their children grow, but I perhaps have the most legitimate claim of all to that sorrow."[/say]

This wasn't entirely about him though, and with a wry, knowing smirk, he glanced up. [say]"Let me guess. You are telling me this thing I already know because you want to be independent?"[/say]

RE: walk through the fire - Azrael - 03-08-2021

There’s a nod of their curled head offered to their father while they help to sweep and pick up the pieces, their gaze lifting to their father with that very same soft smile – though it falters a small amount. It had been terrifying to pass out, it hadn’t been something they’d even known they could do, and when they’d finally come to and their systems had recharged enough, LongNight was over.

But they were safe. Their father was safe. And really, that’s all the young demigod could ask for.

So they continue to clean, letting the tension rise before they admit that they think they’re done growing, letting that soft smile return before a gentle laugh leaves them. “[say]I think you do.[/say]” They agree, flashing a wider fanged smile back their father’s way. And as before, it falters again with the question that’s aired, despite Bastien’s knowing smirk.

“[say]I… I was thinking that since we’ve been here and Halo for a long time that maybe I could go on an adventure to the Wilds and see what it’s like there…[/say]” They suggest tentatively. “[say]Maybe meet some people and get to know what it’s like?[/say]” And that’s where the draw comes from, where the teenager in them sparks out. Because they didn’t want their father there, to have that shadow around the corner to watch them make their own relationships.

Still, it feels awkward to ask despite the fact they’d never dare to do it without.

RE: walk through the fire - Bastien - 03-13-2021

Bastien had once stood before his parents and made the same plea, though the circumstances had been different; he'd been 13, not 1 (or 16?), had wanted to go and start a career as a performer, had a poor relationship with his father, who had delivered him a simple life in the gardens. He could not, in good conscious, give Azrael the same disapproving glare he had been given, though it was hard to hide the pulling of his heart that drew down the corners of his mouth.

Without Rex, without Azrael, he really would be alone. Just him and Pittore, the sad artist and his paintings. Bastien knew that Azrael's life was not for his benefit, though; he nodded, forcing a smile onto his face.

[say]"I see. Well, I cannot stop you, Azrael, and I would in fact encourage you to go...but can you make your father some promises?"[/say] Bastien stepped forward and placed a hand on his childs arm, looking them in the eyes - Rex's eyes. [say]"Come back once a season to visit your father. I will worry about you. Be careful, don't do anything ridiculous...and don't let conflicts between Gods ruin anything you find with people."[/say]

RE: walk through the fire - Azrael - 03-13-2021

To be honest, they do expect some sort of surprise – some sort of attachment that would prevent them from venturing out, if only because of what occurred during LongNight. But it doesn’t come, not as Bastien closes the distance between them, a smile on his face that Azrael can’t quite tell if it’s real or not. They can feel the hand on their arm, their gaze lifting to meet their father’s, soaking up everything he says like a sponge.

“[say]Sure.[/say]” They quickly agree, before Bastien’s even laid out the terms, drawing silent when they are laid out. Of course, they can’t help the bright fanged smile that spreads across their face, their head bobbing in a more official agreement where the curls bounce. “[say]Of course, papa.[/say]” They say gently, shifting the broom in their hand so that they might hug their father tightly.

“[say]I’ll probably be back more than that but I’ll bring my little sketchbook and show you all the adventures I went on.[/say]” This seems like a perfect opportunity and they can’t help but to let the excitement vibrate through them as they squeeze their father in a tight hug.

RE: walk through the fire - Bastien - 03-15-2021

Thankfully, Azrael seemed to have skipped the teenage trait of disliking their parent and agreed to Bastien's request for visits without cringing or complaining about it. As long as he got to see them, make sure they were okay and keep up to date, Bastien felt he could manage the heart break that would come with having to say goodbye to his child.

[say]"Oh, and taking your sketchbook! You truly are a Des Rosieres!"[/say] He declared proudly, turning to walk into the studio and rummage through a drawer in the back until he brought out a bundle of purple fabric. Bastien brought this back to Azrael and untied it to reveal it was a pencil wrap, containing several different leads of different sizes and weights. [say]"You'll need this, and I have bags for you as well. Do you think you'll need the board?"[/say] He asked, more than willing to give them anything they'd need to thrive.

RE: walk through the fire - Azrael - 03-16-2021

The proud declaration has Azrael laughing lightly, bobbing their head and following their father into the studio and watching idly while he rummages through the drawer. “[say]How else will I remember  how to catalogue everything?[/say]” They murmur as they watch. Purple fabric is pulled out, their gaze darting to it immediately as it’s opened up and the contents are revealed. Their eyes light up, stepping over the distance between them to peer at the pencil wrap, a grin forming wide on their face.

“[say]Papa, this is great.[/say]” They beam, reaching for the pencil wrap to peer at it, wondering internally what bags Bastien planned on giving them for their trek, and as for the hoverboard? They don’t… Think that they’ll need it. So the shake their head no, pursing their lips slightly in thought. “[say]I don’t think I will. But I can always come back and grab it if I do end up needing it?[/say]” A compromise, one that has them lifting their gaze to meet their father’s with a silent question within it.

RE: walk through the fire - Bastien - 03-17-2021

[say]"Wonderful point indeed. You must tell your adventures to a great scholar afterwards to have them made into a book. A legend for years to come."[/say] He declared. Maybe it was fatherly love filling in the gaps, but Bastien could easily see his child being a mythological hero without much work. They were, after all, a Demi-God, and very accomplished at their young age.

Smiling as they took the pencil wrap and nodding at the compromise about the board, Bastien disappeared upstairs for a moment to find bags. There he did stop before Rexanna's portrait in their room, speaking soft words to her of his worry and hope, things that he couldn't weigh Azrael down with before their life began - then he moved on, bringing downstairs a simple but useful blue bag that went across the back, a simple tie keeping things in place.

[say]"Here, you could use this. There's one more thing, too.."[/say] He opened his hand to reveal a necklace, a simple golden chain with small gems sparkling in the candlelight above. [say]"This was your mothers. I want you to take a piece of her with you. She would be -- She is so proud, Az."[/say] The entire conversation had threatened to wet Bastien's eyes, but after saying that he was blinking heavily, trying to fight back tears.

RE: walk through the fire - Azrael - 03-21-2021

“[say]Perhaps Samuel might be willing to help with that?[/say]” They suggest, flashing a bright smile toward their father when it came to cataloguing their trip. A story that Sam might help them keep around, to tell their friends once they started to make them. A story of trials and adventure, though they imagine those they find will have had similar events. As for the rest of it, though, Azrael can’t keep the thought from their mind, of having something tangible rather than their own memory to go off of.

The pencil wrap is a wonderful thing that distracts them momentarily, a chimed thank you of excitement leaves their lips and dances over their features as they move to stuff it away. But their father departs, and they sit idly in wait to see what it is he brings back for them. It’s a simple blue bag to be tied around one’s back, something that they can’t help but beam at as well.

Of course, it doesn’t last – their smile turning more somber, more emotional as the following gift is given to them – a gold necklace with gems that sparkled vibrantly in the light overhead. Their gaze lifts from the hand the necklace sits in to peer at their father, emotions swimming in their gaze that they aren’t too sure what to do with. “[say]Thank you, Papa.[/say]” Their voice is softer now, a whisper as they reach up to pick up the necklace, to clasp it around their neck, before their gaze begins to swim a fraction with the fluid of tears. “[say]How does it look?[/say]”

RE: walk through the fire - Bastien - 03-22-2021

[say]"Maybe, if you can pin the man down to anything. He's always so fidgety."[/say] Bastien sighed and shook his head; he hadn't had that many interactions with the bookmaker all in all, but every one he had had had been marked by Samuel's very obvious insecurities. Still, he didn't want Azrael to pick up that kind of attitude towards people, so Bastien softened his comments: [say]"...Though he is talented with his books. I'm sure if anyone could talk him into it, it would be you, little star."[/say]

Things were solemn as the chain settled around Azrael's neck. Bastien stared blankly at the necklace there on their collarbones for a moment, thinking about when he'd seen Rex wearing it...time just kept coming, and he realised it had to have been at least a year and a half ago. That realisation rocked him, but Bastien determinedly didn't show it. [say]"Beautiful, of course!"[/say]

With everything given to Azrael, Bastien could only give them his well wishes, but he hoped he'd at least get from them the gift of one more morning to do that painting they'd spoken of. Going to get his easels and canvases, he tried to pretend as if he wasn't dreading the moment they'd walk out the door - maybe though, if Azrael was attentive, they'd notice his paintbrush moved stiffly, anxiously; it would until they returned.

{FIN}