Court of the Fallen
Lost and Found - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Lost and Found (/showthread.php?tid=5257)

Pages: 1 2

Lost and Found - Phoebe - 03-19-2021

One moment, she stood in the presence of Frey. The next she was alone, save for Pim and Branbast, bare feet upon cool sand in a...cave? She blinked and looked around, confused for a moment, before recognizing the place. Rae's Fingers. Well...at least she thought so anyways. The Nightingale had never been within the cave system before...but it looked exactly as described by locals. Hopefully she could find her way out, though why Frey would take so much time to see her evolved to just cast her away to her death she could not say.

That was when Branbast sat in front of her. "This way!" he said in his growly manner, before turning and trotting down the cavernous path. Ah, that's right. She had the luxury of a local, prophetic guide.

And so she followed, slowly are first as she reacquainted her body with the movement. But once she was certain she was unlikely to trip, her mind began to wander. Demigod. It still seemed unfathomable to her. Her honeyed gaze dropped to her hands, staring in hopes that she might see just what had been done to change her...yet all she could see was fresh baby skin, plump and pale from her time in the chrysalis. Phoebe dropped her hands with a sigh, mind continuing to weigh all the potential situations before her. Cian and his followers would be quick to her door, of that she was certain. And yet Frey wished her to remain impartial, out of the way, tending to those who needed it. Somehow, she didn't think that would be a satisfactory answer for those of Stormbreak...

RE: Lost and Found - Remi - 03-19-2021

This way!

Frowning, the voice sounding strange and strangled (what? Remi didn't remember what Sear cats sounded like), the alchemist halted his explorations of the Fingers and trudged toward the noise. Why was he down here in the first place, you ask? Certainly not to ensure there weren't any traps laid for him or Ronin by a certain salty new-demigod. Certainly not to look for ideal places to hide the body of said salty new-demigod should he decide to try and make good on his threat.

Not at all naive enough to call out, even if it was someone who needed aid, the alchemist silently stalked through the water-logged tunnels, preparing himself for anything. Though he wore only a shirt and pants, Remi hardly needed to have a packed bag in order to arrive prepared for any given situation.

RE: Lost and Found - Phoebe - 03-19-2021

Phoebe was not paying attention to her surroundings one bit, instead focusing on her thoughts and wherever Branbast was off to. It wasn't until she began to feel an uneasiness from Pim did she begin to wonder if perhaps she ought to be more concerned. Rae's Fingers weren't exactly the safest place in Torchline for her to be. Sure she might be a demigod now but she didn't know what she was capable of! She glanced at Pim briefly, before looking around. She didn't see or hear anything out of place...

[say]"What is it, Pim?"[/say] she asked, brows furrowing. The pink dragon flapped his wings, growling at one of the many corridors that turned the caves into a maze. She looked over at it as well, feeling a bit apprehensive. Looking around, it didn't seem there was any good place to hide either.

"Silly dragon, just the lion man." said Branbast as he sat primly.

RE: Lost and Found - Remi - 03-21-2021

With his eyes partially shifted that he might be able to see more easily in the dark, it's the Sear Cat and the pink dragon that Remi spies first. Were this a trap it would certainly have been quite an effective one, given how abruptly the alchemist suddenly comes to a halt upon seeing the two creatures.

[say]"Pim?"[/say] He wonders, having forgotten the name of Phoebe's newest companion, but recognizing the cat's grizzled features just the same.

But if that was Pim, then...?

[say]"...Phoebe?"[/say] There in blue silk with hair that seemed more fitting the paintings of mermaids than the once too-practical midwife, indeed seemed to be his friend. But...how? Blinking uncertainly into the darkness and not completely confident that this wasn't some illusion or trick, Remi's eyes narrow somewhat as his head tilts. [say]"Is that..really you?"[/say]

RE: Lost and Found - Phoebe - 03-21-2021

Just the lion man? What was Branbast prattling on about now? The only lion man she knew was Remi, and as far as she knew he now lived in the Greatwood! [say]"Branbast what does that even...?"[/say]

"Pim?"

Phoebe would recognize that voice anywhere. The alchemist and the midwife had been through a great many things together, traumatic things none the less, that etched his voice into her mind. The Nightingale looked over quickly, honeyed gaze wide as he stepped out from the shadows. She couldn't see him as well as he could see her certainly, but her eyes were acclimated enough to tell what she saw. [say]"Remi?!"[/say] she said in shock. What was he doing here? Had...had Frey planned this?

[say]"Yes of course it's me! Oh uhmm...I offered to have a baby for you and Ronin!"[/say] she said, offering up a fact that as far as she knew only he and Ronin were privy to. Longnight habits die hard, but it did make verifying someone a bit easier.

For a long moment the alchemist just blinks at her, as if he too is having trouble seeing through the shadows. The memory she uses to identify herself is jarring, snapping him out of the moment and making him laugh. Only Phoebe would think to mention such an absurd memory at a time like this, but perhaps that was the point. Only Phoebe..

[say]"What are you doing here?"[/say] In the Fingers, here at all. [say]"Everyone said you'd just...left."[/say] Easily his long strides eat up the distance between them that he might stretch his arms around her and draw the midwife against him in a tight hug. [say]"There were rumours of Frey having sent you away, but no one knew for sure."[/say] He mumbles against the top of her head, not knowing whether to be relieved or worried to see her back.

Phoebe grinned as he laughed. Clearly the memory she chose had been a good pick! And as he wrapped her up in his arms, making her feel incredibly small, she hugged him back with all her might. Of course, she had yet to realize her own strength had over-doubled since she saw him last. It was so good to see him! He was far too often away, and so she soaked up the attention, knowing it might be more brief than she would like.

[say]"Does that sound like me? To just up and leave without any notice of where?"[/say] she said with a light laugh. Up and leave, sure. But she always made sure people knew where she was off to! [say]"Frey didn't send me away, so much as took me away...how long has it been?"[/say] she asked, not sure herself of the length of time. Seasons, so two seasons at least. Surely not more? [say]"Frey brought me back here...they must've known you'd be around to find me."[/say]

Conveniently, Remi's strength and tolerance to injury now bordered on the ridiculous, but even so, he noticed that the midwife's normally noodle-like grip was suddenly quite a bit stronger.

[say]'Well. No, but if Frey had anything to do with it—"[/say] Which apparently they did [say]"—you might not have had a choice."[/say] As for how long? Narrowing his eyes thoughtfully as he releases Phoebe enough that he could look down on her easily, he searches the top of the tunnel they're in as if the answer might be writ on the stone. [say]"Half a year? Maybe more?"[/say]

Well if Frey knew, that was news to him. Remi hadn't planned on being in Torchline this long, and it felt like only happenstance that he was. [say]"Well, planning or just luck, I am glad I did find you. Right now...I wouldn't be in these caves alone. Torchline has gotten..."[/say] Its always been violent on the coast, but nevermoreso than lately. [say]"...things are pretty bad."[/say] He says at last with a frown that darkens his eyes.

Ah, therein lay the rub that she was certain Remi would take issue with - choice. Phoebe frankly couldn't remember. One day she was living her life, next she was stepping out of a chrysalis. She didn't remember if she had gone to a shrine, or been called by Frey, or if the Herald had simply plucked her up just as they had set her back down. Her brow furrowed slightly, knowing how she responded might color Remi's interpretation of the situation irreparably. [say]"I don't remember how exactly Frey came to get me. I don't remember a lot really, but I trust them and trust they wouldn't do anything I would not have consented to."[/say] Her memory of it was not so important to her. The trust she had for the god ran deep and that was enough.

[say]"Rather, it seemed Frey was the one who had been left with little choice."[/say] she said, watching him for a reaction. [say]"They told me about the war...and they needed someone to help protect that which would be caught in the cross fire."[/say] she said softly.

Half a year wasn't terrible...that was two seasons more or less. But more? That was worrisome. What had she missed? What had happened to... but it seemed the Lullaby was keen to discuss the current state of Torchline. [say]"What's happened? Is Ronin alright? And the Halenani?"[/say] she asked, worry bubbling up.

RE: Lost and Found - Remi - 03-22-2021

Its been years since Phoebe and Remi were stripped naked in the temple, the alchemist shackled with every moment seeming as though it was going to lead to something else. Frey had taken much from him, all without his consent. It was a point on which he and the midwife would likely always disagree, and so he merely nods. [say]"I'm just glad you are alright."[/say]

Talk of the war has Remi's brow furrowing. Not unlike Phoebe's reaction, he wasn't exactly sure what any of it had to do with her. [say]"That...sounds like what Amalia has been doing."[/say] He says carefully, feeling like he's already putting his foot in his mouth but not understanding how or why.

[say]'Well...I gave over Governorship to Sunjata..."[/say] Remi tries to explain, but gods how was he meant to condense everything that had happened? [say]"There was...a man pinning murders on him. Someone who beat up Vai and I nearly killed him for it. Now Ronin and I, and Sunjata and Nate..."[/say] Frowning, he just exhales a mouth of air that suddenly feels stale. [say]"It seems to have turned the tide of Torchline against him. And now Ronin is trying to build a skyboat port from Stormbreak to the docks, and...it seems like it's going to be a whole thing."[/say]

As for the Halenani? [say]"Oh, I was just there actually, looking for you. One of your girls has taken it over—Maeve?—and seems to be doing quite well."[/say]

RE: Lost and Found - Phoebe - 03-22-2021

Phoebe had long since accepted that Remi's relationship with Frey was tenuous at best. From their first interaction with the god, they had grown and bloomed in very different ways. But it wasn't anything she thought worthy of holding against him. Such was life, and he was entitled to his opinions and feelings. She could respect that and disagree with him on this issue without batting an eye.

Slowly she shook her head at Remi's conclusion. [say]"I would have thought that too, but Amalia is a fighter. She cares about creating and maintaining a world in which her faith flourishes. Frey is more concerned about keeping enough alive so eventually nature and people can resume to grow organically, regardless of which side is victorious. That's...that's what they took me for. So they could shape me to be able to aid with that."[/say] she said, wondering if he would understand her meaning and implications now. Frey didn't care about politics or wars or superiority. They just didn't want all their and Rae's nurtured creations go to waste. They didn't want the world to burn to nothing but ashes. And so she was supposed to protect that which was vital to both sides.

At least...she was pretty sure that was what Frey wanted. Lack of certainty was the greatest struggle she had with her divine friend.

But at he mention of Remi handing over his Governorship to Sunjata, her eyes widened. His story, summarized and stilted as it was, gave the wife absolutely no clarity. Save for the bit where apparently Remi and Ronin were at odds with Sunjata. The Nightingale took her friend's hand and smiled a little, giving his hand a squeeze. [say]"I'm not exactly sure what all happened based on that...but if you and Ronin need my help just say the word"[/say]

It took Phoebe a moment to place the name, but eventually her lips curved to make a silent 'Ah' shape. [say]"Maeve is shrewd and probably better suited to be a Madame than I was. I'm glad she has been taking care of it."[/say] she said, falling silent for a moment. [say]"With the state of things here, and Sunjata being in power...do you think I ought to find another place to be?"[/say] she asked. Her and Sunjata were clearly not on good terms. And if he was causing trouble for Remi and Ronin... she couldn't easily stand by and not help them, which would only put a bigger target on her back.

RE: Lost and Found - Remi - 03-24-2021

[say]"Wait, so.."[/say] Trying his best to keep his expression free of judgement, Remi opens his mouth before promptly closing it again. Letting himself look over Phoebe once more, as if expecting a giant yes! it is what you think! sign to float above her head, he hisses in a breath and lets it out in slow laugh. [say]"..are you a demigod now?"[/say]

Squeezing her hand back, Remi tsks and shakes his head. [say]"Ah ah ah, you're all about growth and..life now, remember?"[/say] And as far as the alchemist knew, the tension between the four of them was going to be cut by a knife or something similar, sooner or later.

[say]"You mean, you haven't been stationed somewhere?"[/say] Remi's head tilts. [say]"I was sent to the Greatwood, and Ronin and Amalia were sent to Stormbreak."[/say] Had they all stayed put? Well...more or less. Ish.

RE: Lost and Found - Phoebe - 03-24-2021

Phoebe smirked - which quickly turned into a grin - as Remi tried to process what was being said. It was a surprise, almost unbelievable if she had not stepped out of a chrysalis not minutes earlier. But his expressions were so loud she couldn't help but laugh a little as he finally came to his conclusion. [say]"Yes...though I haven't really been able to bring myself to say it yet."[/say] While Phoebe had always been proud of and coveted her relationship with Frey, she had never gone so far as to presume that they might want that from her. Frey wasn't like the other gods after all. That they might do similar things simply didn't occur to her, or that she would be the choice they'd make.

The Nightingale rolled her eyes at his admonishments, a smirk curving her lips. [say]"Ah yes, because life is all sunshine and happiness, and death is cynical and cruel, therefore nature can't play favorites on occassion?"[/say] she quipped. From what she had heard of the other gods it was quite the opposite. Mort was loving, Vi was stern. Ludo was playful, Safrin was critical. None of them fell into any one stereotypical role, and Rae and Frey were certainly no different.

Besides, when did Frey ever seem to take precedent from the other gods?

Speaking of Frey taking precendent, she shook her head. [say]"They sent me here to get my feet beneath me again since I am familiar with the place...but I've not really received instructions..."[/say]

RE: Lost and Found - Remi - 03-25-2021

[say]"Well!"[/say] The alchemist chuckles as she confirms his suspicions. [say]"Welcome to the club. So far, it has been the absolute worst."[/say] Was it fun? No. Did it come with lots of strings and tasks? Yes. Was it worth it?

That was yet to be seen.

[say]"Yes, obviously."[/say] Remi replies with a smirk, before shaking his head. [say]"I appreciate the offer, but this...it's complicated enough already."[/say] He adds with a sigh, sweeping his fingers across his eyes. There was also Phoebe's history with Sunjata, which though it seemed like it happened a million years ago now, was not likely to help.

[say]"Oh. Well that's..actually, I'm not sure if that's better or worse. Though...if I was you, I'd bask in it as long as you can."[/say]