Court of the Fallen
under new management - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: under new management (/showthread.php?tid=5276)

under new management - Phoebe - 03-22-2021

It was strange, standing in front of the Halenani, knowing it was no longer hers. It was much the same as she had left it - though it was clear that the gardens had been allowed to grow as they willed, rather than being tamed by human hands. They were still beautiful though, a perk of living in a tropical environment. Still barefoot and in the short, low cut, silk dress Frey had made her, the Nightingale ascended the front steps that led to the brothel's wrap around porch. Once, it was her favorite place to be, enjoying the sea breeze on the hottest of days, relaxing in her own corner of paradise dedicated to her dearest friend. Now it felt foreign, as though she were trespassing on her own property.

But that was the issue, wasn't it? It wasn't really her property anymore, was it?

With a steadying sigh, the midwife walked in through the double doors of the Halenani, Pim and Branbast trotting along at her side. At first glance it appeared much the same as she remembered it. Pristine white, quiet but welcoming. Truly, Frey had done fine work in developing this place. Then her honeyed gaze focused on the front desk, wondering if Maeve or whoever she had stationed at the front would recognize her after all this time - or if she would even be welcomed in this haven she had created and once operated.

RE: under new management - Maeve - 03-22-2021

Maeve's eyes lift from the books she's keeping as the front door open. For a moment she doesn't believe what she's seeing. Green eyes go wide as she stands, quickly rushing around the counter towards the previous Madame. Her arms go around her neck in a fierce hug, [say]"Phoebe!"[/say] Maeve draws back, shaking her head as she holds her at arms length, looking her up and down as if trying to find anything amiss with the woman before her. Her brows draw together and she brings a hand up to brush back soft blonde hair from her face, [say]"Where have you been? We were all worried sick when we hadn't heard from you. Not to mention that you didn't even tell us where you were going!"[/say]

It all comes out in a rush, the concern and confusion clear in Maeve's voice as she looks her over before finally letting go of her arms in favor of taking her hands. [say]"Come in! Gods, you must be so glad to be back. Would you like anything? Tea? I was just about to take lunch... We could sit on the back porch."[/say] Nervousness flutters in her belly, mixing with the need to make sure Phoebe was in fact alright and that nothing bad had happened to her in the time she was away.

RE: under new management - Phoebe - 03-22-2021

Phoebe recognized Maeve at once - but she didn't think she had ever seen the young woman move so quickly before! The Nightingale hugged her back on reflex, still not knowing of her sudden doubling in strength. This was a far better reception than she had thought she would receive, certainly!

Upon inspection, Maeve would find very little amiss with the former Madame - her hair was significantly longer and dress much more revealing than her usual style - but otherwise Phoebe was much the same as before. [say]"I'm sorry, Maeve. I...I didn't mean to leave so suddenly, but it is a bit of a story to explain it all."[/say] she said with a sheepish smile. 'The Herald Frey poofed me into a chrysalis for a few months to turn me into a demigod before dropping me back off here' seemed to brief and jarring a summary to make it seem as honest as it really was. Not that Phoebe was much one for lying but it was a bit of a fantastical tale to try and believe!

The invitation settles any of the midwife's remaining nerves, and she smiled at Maeve warmly. If she really was terribly angry with her, she doubted she would have extended such an offer. [say]"I would like that very much. Then I can explain what all happened."[/say] she said.

RE: under new management - Maeve - 03-22-2021

Maeve pursed her lips, looking her over one more time before finally seeming satisfied that there wasn't anything wrong with her. The apology did make her feel better. Even though she isn't really all that upset that she left. More upset that they had no idea where she was. [say]"We were worried about you. I was worried."[/say] The woman stressed before she sighed and pulled her into another hug, [say]"I'm just glad you're okay."[/say] She murmured, drawing back one more time with a soft kiss to her cheek. Maeve and Phoebe had always been close. Probably closer to each other than some of the other girls were. The relationship akin to the one's sisters share. Admittedly, the newly appointed Madame is glad she's back. If only because she so missed her company.

[say]"Please. I want to know where exactly you've been hiding this whole time."[/say] Maeve hooked her arm with the Nightingale's leading her back towards the porch where her lunch and tea were waiting for her. Once they were both comfortably settled, tea served, and plates filed, Maeve leaned forward to take her hand, giving it a small squeeze, [say]"Tell me everything."[/say]

RE: under new management - Phoebe - 03-23-2021

Phoebe smiled sadly as guilt welled up in her gut. She cared deeply for each and every person that worked at the Halenani. That they had worried about her so made her heart ache. But there was nothing she could do but apologize. What was done was done, and she was sure Maeve would understand when she finally explained it all.

The Nightingale followed the new Madame without hesitation, sighing as she sat in her chair. It should have felt like returning home, comforting and familiar. Instead, it felt more nostalgic, like something she once knew but not quite the same. But Maeve's hand grasping hers pulled her out of her reverie, and she smiled at her once more. [say]"Well, I'm not exactly sure where I was honestly. But I was there because Frey took me there."[/say] she said, glancing out at the flowers growing wild in the gardens.[say]"I don't remember the exact circumstances of that either. I remember being here and then next I knew I was waking up in a... a chrysalis of all things."[/say] she said with a light laugh as she looked back at Maeve.

[say]"They changed me in that time. I'm...I'm not the same as I once was. But with everything going on across Caido... they needed someone on the ground to keep the balance."[/say] she explained. War would tip the scales dangerously towards death. Without intervention, the whole of Caido could easily collapse.

RE: under new management - Maeve - 03-23-2021

Frey? Frey took her away? At first, anger welled up in her chest and her brows knitted together as a frown pulled at the corners of her mouth. Maeve made herself take a breath and listen to what else Phoebe had to say. She knew that Phoebe had always been a follower of Frey. That Frey sent her here to take care of the girls and build the Halenani for them. Except now Frey had another task for her and Maeve wasn't sure how she felt about it. [say]"Well... I'm glad that they kept you safe. I only wish we had known. We wouldn't have worried so much then."[/say] Maeve would have worried. She would have worried every single day until Frey brought Phoebe back to them.

[say]"So... What does that mean? They changed you? I guess I don't understand... What balance do you need to keep? What are you meant to do? Are you leaving us?"[/say] The questions tumbled out of her in quick succession. One right after the other as her grip tightened slightly on the other woman's hand. Maeve pursed her lips, trying to ignore the pang she felt in her chest. [say]"We just got you back..."[/say] She added more softly, eyes dropping to the table.

RE: under new management - Phoebe - 03-26-2021

Phoebe smiled wryly at Maeve. [say]"Frey is not one to consider the impact of their actions on others if it suits their needs."[/say] she said. Other worrying wasn't something they cared about. She was fine and safe after all. Worry accomplished nothing more than self torment. But she understood Maeve's position. Had their roles been flipped, the midwife was certain she too would have worried about her friend's safety.

But the questions kept coming, and Phoebe couldn't help but laugh a bit. [say]"You are asking for a lot of information all at once."[/say] she warned. [say]"I'm...what you would call a demigod now. I have powers gifted to me by Frey to do their work. I don't know what they are yet, but they will present in time."[/say] she said, looking off into the gardens once more. She wasn't sure she wanted to see Maeve's reaction to all of this. Her world was Torchline and the brothel. What Phoebe had to say was part of a much larger picture.

[say]"There is a war looming. Between the old and new gods. The last such war nearly destroyed Caido in its entirety. Frey needs me to help make sure there is enough to salvage when the war is done."[/say] she said softly. That was really what it was after all - an attempt to keep the world from completely crumbling away.

Phoebe then turned and smiled warmly at Maeve. [say]"I will be around for a little while. I am not sure where I will be most needed yet. But you don't need me here anymore anyways. I've heard you are doing a fabulous job of running this place."[/say]

RE: under new management - Maeve - 03-26-2021

Most of the gods didn't seem the type to consider the consequences of their actions, but Maeve didn't complain. She is glad that Frey had kept her safe this whole time. Even if they had all been worried. At least their sweet Honeybee was back for the time being. [say]"I know I know... I just wish we had some idea. I'm just glad that you're okay ultimately."[/say] She gave her hand another squeeze before releasing her to take up her tea as her cheeks flushed with the gentle warning.

[say]"Sorry, Phoebe... There is just so much I want to know."[/say] She murmured softly, dropping her eyes to the table for just a moment. Maeve drew in a breath, raising the teacup to her lips to sip at while Phoebe revealed what was going to be expected of her now. Where she was going to fall into everything here. Maeve admittedly tried not to focus to much on the impending war. The idea of it scared her, but there wasn't much she could do besides try to keep her girls safe here. That was her job now. [say]"So like Remi and Ronin then?"[/say] The only two other demi-gods that Maeve had any experience with.

There wasn't any judgment in her tone or her eyes as that soft green gaze settled on the former Madame. [say]"Well.. They picked someone who will do good a job of that. You've always taken good care of us here and I know you'll be able to do it for others too."[/say] Maeve said with sweet sincerity in her voice as she gazed at the other woman with a soft smile.

[say]"I've barely changed a thing. I'm doing it just like you did before and we're happy you're back. We don't want you to leave us anytime soon."[/say]

RE: under new management - Phoebe - 03-31-2021

Phoebe managed a small, if hesitant, smile as she was compared to Ronin and Remi. But she did nod, however reluctantly that was. Ronin and Remi could do amazing, miraculous things - and she barely knew what it was Frey even wanted her to do (or how as it seemed her powers had yet to manifest). [say]"I hope you're right."[/say] she said softly, lost in her thoughts briefly as she stared into the garden. The Nightingale wasn't sure she saw in herself what Frey apparently did, and it worried her she might not live up to their expectations. All she could do was her best...and at least in the past that seemed to please them enough.

[say]"I'm not going away forever."[/say] she said with a light laugh, looking back at Maeve fondly. [say]"And I've heard you have changed a few things...like taking customers in the Madame's private rooms?"[/say] she said with a smirk. Phoebe had not been a working Madame, in the sense that she didn't sleep with customers. Instead she had seen to the function of the place, keeping the men and women who called it home safe and comfortable. Standards of conduct for customers had been set high so the workers could be treated with the respect Frey had wanted for them. [say]"You understand what the people here need far more than I ever could. I'm sure in time, everyone will come to love you more than I, once they realize how far out of my league I was."[/say] she said with a light laugh.

[say]"You didn't happen to keep any of my things though, did you?"[/say] she asked.

RE: under new management - Maeve - 04-01-2021

It's not as if Phoebe didn't know what this business was. She was the one who ran it for years, but being so blatantly called out made the new Madame flush. A soft laugh bubbled up in her chest as she waved her hand almost dismissively. [say]"Only select clients. I don't just bring anyone up there."[/say] In all honesty she has only had Remi and Locke in that room. Her other customers she took to one of the spare rooms, choosing to keep her private chamber mostly private. Except Phoebe was right to say that Maeve did understand what people needed from a place like this. It's why she had always done so well. Why she had so many regulars. The compliment made her smile as she brought her tea up to take a slow sip, [say]"You flatter me too much, Phoebe. Plus how could they possibly forget you? You're the reason we have this place."[/say]

Phoebe had established something that was better than any of them could of hoped for. Yes, it was a business, but it was also a home to many people. It kept them safe, provided work, and security for families. It was important to so many people. Maeve included.

She set her teacup down, wiping her mouth carefully as she nodded, [say]"I did. I packed everything I could away into your trunk. I didn't get rid of any of your clothes or anything like that. We did make up one of the empty rooms with your other things. Just in case."[/say] Maeve informed her, reaching into the pocket on her dress and producing a keyring, finding the one for Phoebe's new room before carefully taking it off for her. [say]"The trunk is still in the apartment, but everything else is in that room."[/say]

RE: under new management - Phoebe - 04-07-2021

Phoebe smiled a little. Was she really the reason the Halenani existed? She had run it, she had seen it built, she had established its rules and reputation...but could she really take the credit for something that had never been her own conception? Slowly she shook her head. [say]"Frey is the reason you have this place. Never forget that. You and everyone here are near and dear to their heart, and so they saw this home made for you."[/say] Phoebe said gently, smile full of warmth. Without Frey, she would never have come to Torchline, or built the brothel. It would still be a ramshackle building used by squatters and ne'er-do-wells for whatever suited their purposes for the day. But now Maeve and the rest had a haven in which to do Frey's work, and Frey needed her elsewhere.

The Nightingale took the key and nodded. [say]"Thank you, Maeve. I'll gather everything up and make sure you have that room back for business soon."[/say] she said as she stood. There was a lot of work to be done before she could make her way to...wherever. Stormbreak it seemed. But at least she could rest easy, knowing the Halenani was under new management.

--FIN