Court of the Fallen
Oil and Smoke - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Oil and Smoke (/showthread.php?tid=5299)

Pages: 1 2

Oil and Smoke - Hotaru - 03-25-2021

Since reopening her spa, Hotaru has spent most of her days within its walls. Though she returns to Deimos most nights, it’s similarly not uncommon for him to find her curled against Atlas’ side, blankets draped over her body and the fire reduced to hot coals. It is as much a home to her as anything else has attempted to be. As such it brings her peace that she desperately needs in the wake of...well, everything that has happened since she awoke in the Wilds.

Getting back into the rhythm of business is simultaneously distracting and rewarding. Seeing people leave with lightened shoulders and relaxed faces brings a sense of accomplishment, and being able to knead and massage out knots and kinks with her hands keeps her from feeling too touch-starved or in need of companionship in the wake of her departure from Torchline and the men she’d been tied to. Though Halo citizens are not a chatty bunch by nature, their guards seem to slip as they melt on her tables, and Hotaru is more than happy to lend her ear both socially and sinisterly. She is a black widow, her silken thread that entrap her victims spun of secrets, and her customers offer them from loosened lips. Nothing so harmful as the crumbling of kingdoms like her youth had offered, but enough gossip to keep her thumb firmly on the pulse of Snowcloak.

Reclining against the check in counter as she awaits further clientele, Hotaru keeps an ear tuned for the door while her attention is taken by the paper in front of her. She’s in need of a new dagger. Sort of lost her last one in Sunjata’s thigh. What an inconvenience.

RE: Oil and Smoke - Morgan - 03-25-2021

Once Morgan would have considered going to a spa something of the utmost unnecessary indulgence, almost embarrassing to attend. As she'd gotten older though, she'd come to appreciate the moments of relaxation she could get and had found that instead of shameful, they were actually vital to her continued hard work. Upon hearing about the reopening of the spa, she decided that it sounded like something she could do with.

What specifically was stressing her out? The nature of her job and responsibilities were such that she was constantly a little stressed; there was always something new to handle.

She entered the building a little nervous, tucking her hair behind her ear; it was odd: Morgan could face entire armies with nothing but a deep breath and determination, but the idea of having to strip her armour and be touched by someone new was ever so slightly unnerving (especially with the faded, but still noticeable, marks on her chest where Neron had taken his fill). Still, she continued, smiling at Hotaru as she caught sight of her.

[say]"Hotaru. It's been a long time. I heard you are open for business here? I would be interested in...well. What do you offer, exactly?"[/say] Morgan asked, realising she didn't really know what was involved.

RE: Oil and Smoke - Hotaru - 03-26-2021

Hotaru is debating the merits of different guards and hilts when the door opens, wafting a temporary gust of cold air into the front of the shop. The pencil bouncing between her fingertips is dropped to the counter, and heterochromatic eyes flit to the doorway. Her new client - or perhaps just a visitor today? - is immediately recognizable, scattered freckles and shocking hair as familiar as the proud way the woman carries herself. Morgan's face warms beautifully as their eyes meet, and Hotaru immediately pushes back away from the counter to begin moving around it towards the Warden.

[say]"Morgan, it's so good to see you again,"[/say] she grins, far more light-hearted and familiar than is normally given to her customers. It's a surprising delight that Morgan seems keen on receiving actual services today. Much like Deimos, Hotaru is certain that the lass needs it desperately. [say]"I have two separate areas, and you're welcome to both. In the other room we have showers and a heated mud bath with volcanic ash for you to relax in. It's very good for your skin, private and quiet."[/say] Usually the service requested by newcomers. Halovians usually need time to warm up to Hotaru before they're willing to let her place her hands on them in such an intimate way. Not that she minds that in any way, it merely gives her the opportunity to build reliable clientele. [say]"I also have massage tables. I have scented oils, hot stones, and face masks to go alongside the actual massage. Any - or all - body parts are quite literally on the table."[/say] A flash of her charismatic grin, incisors flashing with the omnipresent wildness Hotaru holds. [say]"Which sounds best for today?"[/say]

RE: Oil and Smoke - Morgan - 03-27-2021

It was nice to be greeted with a smile; Morgan knew she could be intimidating and it wasn't unusual to see people tense up when she entered. Hotaru had been different though, from what she remembered of their meeting on the mountains.

Listening to the explanation of the Spa's services, Morgan realised she was, perhaps even more so than she had thought, a newcomer to this kind of thing. Mud was an inconvenience to walk through, not something she thought you took baths in, and was volcanic ash a good thing? While her confusion was probably visible on her face, Morgan didn't say anything; Hotaru was the expert, after all.

A massage was more in line with what she had expected, and - Morgan rolled her shoulders with a sigh - probably needed. Never having been shy about her body or being touched, it didn't occur to her that that might be an issue. [say]"I was hoping you could help with my shoulders. They're very painful when I wake up and often stiff."[/say] She wore heavy cloaks and swung about a hammer daily; it probably wasn't surprising that as she was getting older, Morgan's back was beginning to complain. [say]"So a massage for my shoulders and back. I'm...afraid I don't know the point of things like hot stones, but if you think it would help..."[/say]

RE: Oil and Smoke - Hotaru - 03-31-2021

Though the woman reveals little, it's clear the wide array of services is a little daunting. Hotaru does not coddle or infantilize her by making a suggestion or even giving her a pitying smile; she respects the Warden far too much even if she were inclined to do so. Instead she patiently waits, and is rewarded with the first sign she needs - broad shoulders rolling, a twinge of pain on Morgan's regal features. Hotaru knows bodies well. She has to in order to be good at her job. Even if Morgan did not emphasize the tension there, it would have come to light eventually, and Hotaru is keen on erasing that particular burden if she can.

[say]"Shoulders are my specialty,"[/say] she assures with a confident smile. [say]"So many log-splitters and hunters in Halo, so you're in good hands. Literally."[/say] With a cheeky wink she waves for the Warden to follow her to the massage tables, speaking as she goes. [say]"The stones help loosen up the muscles, much like hot water. I intend to expand and have hotsprings here, but for now they'll do the trick."[/say] Gesturing to the coat rack and the cubbies under the padded bed, she steps aside and pulls a towel from its own cubby as well as a silken scrunchie, placing both on the bed.

[say]"Go ahead and remove everything you have up top. There's changing curtains next to the showers if you need them. There's also a tie for your hair, and a towel for under your breasts."[/say] It's said with nothing but professionalism, though Hotaru wouldn't turn down the opportunity for an eyeful any other time. Turning to the cabinet where she houses all her incense, oils, and other concoctions, Hotaru's eyes flicker over the handwritten labels with a contemplative eye, considering what Morgan might find appealing. [say]"I usually light some incense, what sort of scents do you like? For the oil as well."[/say] A scent that would stay on her skin far longer than the incense stick, so Hotaru always makes sure to ask before picking one.

RE: Oil and Smoke - Morgan - 04-01-2021

Thankfully, Hotaru seemed to know how to work with her vague request; Morgan would not have minded being condescended to a little in only this area, with her lack of knowledge, but the respect was appreciated. [say]"I cannot imagine some of the hunters I know ever coming here."[/say] She said with a quiet laugh, imagining them; people that lived in the mountains wearing heavy furs and eschewing a lot of daily comforts for their wild lives, coming to lay down in Hotaru's pleasantly scented room.

She looked over the bed and cubicles as Hotaru explained, nodding. [say]"I see. Would you need help for that endeavour?"[/say]

Not bothering to use the cubicles to change, Morgan removed her clothes (an endeavour, as she wore many heavy layers, but eventually they were neatly folded and placed into a cubby) and showered; she'd never been easily embarrassed by her body. While she washed, her eyes did drift down to the very light scar of Neron's first bite on her wrist, then her fingers raised to touch the two bumps on her neck. Marks that didn't bother her (if anything they were somewhat nice reminders) but that would lead to an awkward conversation if noticed.

Deciding there was nothing to do about it now, she stepped out and dried herself, tied her hair back and put on the towel. [say]"Oh...I don't know many scents. Nothing too sweet."[/say] Morgan said as she came out, tucking in the towel around her chest and going to sit on the edge of the bed, waiting for further instruction.

RE: Oil and Smoke - Hotaru - 04-04-2021

A curl of laughter like smoke escapes at Morgan’s understandable doubt. [say]“Many are sent by frustrated spouses, and look as if I intend to pull their teeth from their head with my bare hands.”[/say] Halovians were so alike the citizens of her own glacial kingdom, and their reticence only endears her more instead of chasing her away. [say] “I can at least say they leave and spread the word, so I’ll take it as a compliment.”[/say] Vixen grin firmly coiled in place, the blonde winks and turns to the cabinet while Morgan finished disrobing.

At the question Hotaru smiles and gestures to the bottom shelf of the cabinet and the smooth pale-sized stones that lay there. [say]“Not at all, they’re rather small. They’re smooth so they won’t irritate your skin.”[/say] Erasing any preconceived notions of what the word could have meant. There is nothing here that is crafted for the purpose of harm and damage - except the masseuse herself.

While Morgan showers, Hotaru ties up her own hair and sheds her cardigan, leaving only a soft t-shirt that leaves her arms bare and ready for work. When the Warden returns Hotaru nods and returns to her collection, contemplating before plucking a mild spruce scent from her incense and a matching moss oil. Returning, she lets lightning form in a controlled spark between her fingertips, lighting the incense with it and snuffing the flame to set it smoking in its stand on the table where she also sets the oil. Turning back to Morgan, she gives a warm smile. [say]"Go ahead and lay down on your front. I'm going to start with your mid-back and up to your shoulders, and then we'll do some hot stones and I'll finish out with you sitting up."[/say] Laying out each step so that nothing will be a surprise, everything within reach and easily rejected if necessary.

Waiting for Morgan to acquiesce, Hotaru reaches for the oil bottle again and puts a few drops in her palms, rubbing them together to warm it up. She doesn't notice the bites yet, but the one on her own neck only ensures that there will be no judgement from her here. [say]"How was LongNight? I understand you were in the Grounds for it. I'm glad to see you've returned unharmed at least."[/say] Sincere and meaningful. Morgan is perhaps one of the few individuals that Hotaru would be - if not disappointed - saddened to see harmed or lost. She is a fine ruler.

RE: Oil and Smoke - Morgan - 04-06-2021

[say]"I can see that, actually."[/say] Morgan said with a soft smirk, thinking of the hunters she did know; people that would look an Ursur in the eyes without a second thought, but who had never experienced a lot of comfort and civility. She had been raised in relative wealth and culture and even she was anxious about this pampering.

Thankfully Hotaru selected a scent herself with Morgan's suggestion; she went to lay down as instructed, careful to make sure the towel covered her appropriately as she did. She wasn't too distressed at the idea of being seen, but she didn't want to ruin any decorum that was expected here. While she had wondered if this was going to be for her, Morgan had to admit the moment she laid down on the comfortable table, the beginning notes of the spruce incense in the air...there was a feeling of tension being set down, stresses of her job already melting away to somewhere else for the time being.

It was odd to let someone else take charge, but not unwelcomed.

[say]"Longnight..."[/say] She let out a long sigh and laughed. [say]"I'm not sure how to sum it up. It felt like a disorganised chaos in the Grounds. Like no one knew what they were doing; they weren't prepared at all. Yet, we still defeated several monsters and there were relatively few deaths or injuries on our side."[/say] Morgan had no idea how successful they'd been, but it could have been much worse. [say]"I wonder how the Queen there would summarise the events. I suppose we will not know if it was entirely a success until next Longnight, when we see if the beasts are still there."[/say]

RE: Oil and Smoke - Hotaru - 04-14-2021

Hotaru shares a conspiratorial grin with Morgan at her agreement. The Halovians are a wary bunch, but she had ruled over a kingdom full of similar souls for most of her life - admittedly, it lends her an advantage when it comes to luring them in and convincing them to be vulnerable with her. Morgan does not have the same high reservations as some of her most stubborn clients, but it is potentially more rewarding than normal to see the Warden slowly relax into the table as incense fills the air.

Oil warmed, she gives a soft noise in her throat so that her touch doesn't startle the woman, and begins coating her skin with slow light strokes of her palms until every inch is glistening. As Morgan speaks, Hotaru starts at her lower back, half-circle motions away from the spine and fingertips dipping over her sides and low over her hips. There is plenty of tension there, and she focuses entirely on the lumbar section for the moment to dedicate plenty of time to unwinding the muscles.

[say]"Disorganized chaos is the premier quality of the Grounds,"[/say] she notes wryly. Hotaru doesn't envy Wessex that particular trait of her homeland. [say]"At least there is time now, even if it is just waiting to see the results of your efforts."[/say] Deaths would always be a part of LongNight in the Grounds, whether because of the monsters alone or in this case, intentionally going to war with them. [say]"Though Deimos told me you are working on creating a greenhouse? I'll admit I was very excited to hear of that. I am hoping to make a small garden around the hot springs when we make them here, perhaps with some of Frey's help. You'll have to return when they're done."[/say] Not wanting to bring too much business into their conversation, but just as invested in Morgan's efforts even if they have not had time to catch up since their initial introduction.

RE: Oil and Smoke - Morgan - 04-18-2021

Morgan, laid down with her eyes closed and her top half uncovered, felt more vulnerable than she had done for a long time; but she found it was a comfortable vulnerability, in the way she could give herself over to Hotaru and her hands for the time being and feel safe, cared for. The touch was soft yet effective, muscle aches she didn't even know she had making themselves known for a moment before disappearing.

[say]"Hm. Perhaps I am too used to the Citadel; I've heard it said before that the mountains and their cold have shaped the people here into hard workers. Not that the Grounds doesn't have it's own share of problems, but...when I'm there, I feel as if they have been divided, not united, by their issues."[/say] Given that they had been physically penned in with each other for many years, unable to leave even if they wanted to...Morgan could see how years-long resentments might build.

Grounds aside, her own Citadel was developing; she smiled at the mention of their plans. [say]"Yes. We're asking Frey for assistance. I...hesitate to rely on the Gods too much, but there are some things we cannot do on our own, like the help we have received to make it warmer in Deepfrost."[/say] Natural miracles required Natural beings with the power to do them, and sadly Morgan knew she'd never achieve that kind of might, no matter how long she studied magic. [say]"I'd love to see your garden. Have you...spoken to Frey before?"[/say]

RE: Oil and Smoke - Hotaru - 04-29-2021

Though these people are her own only in a new and untested way, there is a familiarity to all of them that has her nodding along to Morgan's words. Perhaps it's the mountains or the weather, but those who choose to live within the icy reaches of the north have always seemed to band together, to toil hard beneath the grey sky. [say]"I had the same sense when I lived there,"[/say] she admits with a hum of consideration. [say]"Their division has only cost them more, and yet they do nothing to change it."[/say] Only further fracturing their land and people alike, losing more with every season - either to other lands, or to Mort's realm.

As her hands move up Morgan's spine to the center of her back, fingertips skirting over the backs of her ribs, Hotaru lends her ear to the Warden's plans. [say]"It is ironic, how we are forced to seek them out despite being Abandoned."[/say] Not that Hotaru has had a negative interaction with them herself; Frey is not the type to mind as much as the other Heralds she has noted. [say]"I have indeed. Twice now. They have been nothing but kind and...giving."[/say] Here her laughter peters out, coy and full of innuendo. [say]"Frey does not care as much about magic and Ascended as the other Heralds. I greatly enjoy their company."[/say]

RE: Oil and Smoke - Morgan - 05-01-2021

[say]"Yes...though...I'm not sure how to approach any of it myself, from the Citadel's point of view."[/say] Morgan sighed, letting her shoulders drop a little further as she tried to take that particular worry away; it could wait for five minutes while she had a break. [say]"I have no idea how this situation with the Ascended will play out and ultimately, I don't think I have an important role to play in it. My concern is keeping Halo safe, first and foremost."[/say]

That included the Ascended and the Accepted and anyone else too. Anyone that didn't like that could leave, as far as Morgan was concerned.

Shivering with the delicate touch of Hotaru's fingertips, Morgan hummed. [say]"Giving. I cannot imagine what you mean. I must say the idea of that kind of thing with a God would be quite terrifying in my view. What if you didn't satisfy?"[/say] Would a delayed orgasm result in a smiting?

RE: Oil and Smoke - Hotaru - 05-02-2021

[say]"You cannot rule their lands for them my dear,"[/say] she points out, serene but unbending. [say]"They know they are welcome here, and you have proven your own personal loyalty in times of crisis. There is nothing more you can do politically."[/say] They have their own Queen after all, though Hotaru knows how Wessex struggles to get them to see reason herself. [say]"I believe we are headed for war regardless - the tension between the Gods will not hold out for long. All we can do is try to determine exactly what protecting Halo will mean when it comes to that."[/say] Will it be the land? The buildings? The people as a whole, Ascended included? Did Morgan intend to swear Halo as a ruling entity on the side of The Voice? These are questions she does not envy the Warden, ones she'd faced in different forms in her own ruling days.

No wonder she needs a massage.

Hotaru chases the shivers with her fingertips, up along her scapula to hook over the tips of her shoulders and along the fronts of her trapezius muscles. This is where the knots are found anew, and she begins working along their edges to encourage them to loosen before she targets their centers. Even as she focuses here, she can't help the laughter that curls in her chest, genuine and surprised into being. [say]"Frey is happy to teach, I don't think being less than perfect would dissuade them. Part of the fun is in the corruption, is it not?"[/say] Though perhaps Morgan would not feel the same, Hotaru isn't sure of the Warden's proclivities there. Fingertips skirt over the base of a scarred up bite mark, and she freezes for a moment, eyes dropping to the lighter sections on Morgan's dark skin. It is not disgust that makes her pause, but grief and envy. And then she continues, swallowing hard, amusement lost. [say]"Though of course, they are dual-deities now. I'm sure with what you're hoping to achieve, you won't have to worry about performing."[/say]

RE: Oil and Smoke - Morgan - 05-07-2021

[say]"Mmm. I spend a lot of time worrying about things out of my hands, unfortunately."[/say] Morgan laughed; on the one hand, her tendency to overthink had given her a lot of good plans and observations over the years...but it could be exhausting too, to always be considering and going over everything, even those situations that were far removed from her jurisdiction. [say]"You're right. At the end of the day, I can only make sure Halo is safe. And I will do that until my very last breath."[/say]

She'd let her judgements get mixed up over Deepfrost; thankfully it hadn't cost her anything, but Morgan had felt particularly odd and useless in the Grounds. In the future, she'd stay with her Citadel, love affection for Neron or not.

Saying nothing on corruption and fun to save her reputation, Morgan only made a sound of relief as her shoulders were worked over. Already, she could see this was going to be a regular stop; relaxed as she was, she didn't think as she said: [say]"Of course not. I hope to never meet that side of Frey. I get more than enough excitement of that sort already."[/say] She meant as a joke, referring to her and Neron's bite-fueled trysts...then widened her eyes and stared down at the floor, hoping Hotaru wouldn't think too hard about it.