Court of the Fallen
whiskey, smoke and aces high - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: whiskey, smoke and aces high (/showthread.php?tid=5405)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: whiskey, smoke and aces high - Ronin - 04-24-2021

[say]"You heard,"[/say] Ronin says, offering no explanation for his turn of phrase, instead rummaging around for a pair of jeans that he might forego having to pour himself back into his bike leathers. As Remi snarks back, he hisses in a breath as if he's been wounded, though the smile playing across his lips says quite the opposite. [say]"Well, I have been described as the bold sort,"[/say] he informs the other man. It feels good to be able to talk to one another on the same level - or at least with any immediate sexual tension between them, and Ronin makes a point of rolling his eyes at Remi before he drags on his shirt.

[say]"Well, consider it a sidestep into the question then,"[/say] he says, his head popping through the t-shirt to leave his already mussed up hair even worse. [say]"I was just wondering how you ended up in NYC from Italy. Were you a musician over there as well, and just moved here?"[/say]

RE: whiskey, smoke and aces high - Remi - 04-24-2021

[say]"Is that so? Who tells you that? You? In the mirror every morning?"[/say] Remi teases. Had he known that there wasn't an iMmEdiAtE SexUal TenSion between them just now, he might have been offended. He thought he looked rather good with his tattoos and nearly-done up jeans. Perhaps had he slathered himself in motor oil rather than the ink already on his skin, that would have been more to the mechanic's taste.

[say]'So considered.'[/say] Remi says with a condescending nod, as if permission was his to grant. The question makes him chuckle despite himself, and he follows Ronin in donning a shirt—though he doesn't tug his on like he's a child in a changeroom with his mother outside the door demanding to see how he looks, like Ronin just has. [say]"I suppose I could dress it up more than that, but yes, more or less. I never...how do you say..?"[/say] Remi's english is more than good enough to suggest he's just affecting ignorance, despite how his accent is suddenly thicker. [say]"...cared about school."[/say] He adds, smoothing out his accent with a grin.

[say]"I won one of those stupid battle of the band type things, got a bit of traction and some talent scout here reached out."[/say] His laugh now, really just a puff of air out of his nose, is more sad and disillusioned than actually amused. [say]"So I moved here about a year ago and...well, you saw my apartment last night. I am living the dream."[/say]

RE: whiskey, smoke and aces high - Ronin - 04-25-2021

[say]"Bold of you to assume I bother to look in the mirror every morning."[/say] Alright, passive aggressive internal monologuing, you've made your point. Scoffing, Ronin rolls his shoulders and straightens his t-shirt, buttoning his jeans and heading for the stairs again on bare feet. [say]"I didn't realise it was a requirement to become a musician that you didn't care about school,"[/say] he says, feigning surprise and flashing a smile over his shoulder at the other man.

Still, however much of an egotistical bitch the musician behind him can be at times, Ronin recognises the wry humour in Remi's voice that's so often used to cover up real hurt. He recognises it because he spends a lot of his time using it himself. [say]"Well, while a penthouse suite at the top of some high rise might be pretty fucking sweet, doing what you enjoy might count as living the dream,"[/say] he remarks.

[say]"You do enjoy it, right?"[/say]

RE: whiskey, smoke and aces high - Remi - 04-25-2021

Remi grins roguishly at that, swallowing down a backhanded compliment and instead just shrugs conciliatorily. Have I? Have I.

Chuckling at that, the musician rolls his shoulders. [say]"Thanks for drawing to attention to that. Here I thought I might just be able to get away without having to say that I was just a bad student."[/say] Swiping at his phone that he might begin ordering them food, Remi leans casually against the back of Ronin's couch as if he'd been in the apartment a thousand times and had claimed this as his favourite resting place.

The smirk on his lips drops away at the question asked of him, though for a moment Remi doesn't look up. Finishing their order, he waits until it's confirmed before sliding his phone into his back pocket. Only then do his eyes raise. The weak smile he attempts doesn't last long, and distractedly Remi rubs at a bit of sleep still in the corner of one eye. [say]"It..."[/say] His jaw feathers once as he bites at the inside of his cheek, one foot tapping on the ground. [say]"...is exactly what I signed up for."[/say]

[say]"Oh, I do apologise,"[/say] Ronin says with a grin, slouching to sit on the sofa and look up at Remi as he moves to lean against the back of it. [say]"If it helps, I was also a bad student, unless it involved painting. I got into college on a scholarship - not that I made it past a year."[/say] Shrugging, he makes a show of trying to peek at the other man's phone, as if to see what he's ordering, but honestly he's actually looking forward to the surprise.

He hasn't meant to tread into such serious territory, and although Ronin doesn't dramatically make his apology known this time, he is sorry, and it shows in his expression. [say]"Ah, I see,"[/say] he murmurs. [say]"Well, providing I can get a ticket for that show of yours next week, maybe I'll be able to see what you signed up for in a little more of a professional setting. Will you call me pretty in Italian if I stand at the front?"[/say]

Glancing up from his screen with his lips parted, Remi's eyes narrow a fraction as he tries to gauge just how full of shit Ronin is. It can't be so much though, as his eyes are still the bluest things Remi thinks he's ever seen, but he can't help thinking it's ridiculous. [say]"Sorry, it's just...No offence, but if I hadn't seen these paintings myself, I'd not believe a word of that. Well,"[/say] Remi grins. [say]"I'd believe the didn't make it past a year, part."[/say] He adds with a small laugh. [say]"Why'd you stop?"[/say] Remi nods his head toward where multiple easels sit full of paintings. [say]"You're really good."[/say]

The army, idiot, a small voice suggests.

Rolling his eyes at both himself and the image of Ronin standing at the front of a crowd, the musician can't help but snort under his breath. [say]"If you stand at the front I'll never see you again. It's mostly women, who come. They'll take one look at your biking leathers and blue eyes, smell the paint and broodiness on you, and that'll be that."[/say]

Meeting Remi's eyes, blue on green, Ronin can't help but raise an eyebrow as if to ask what he's said this time to merit such an expression on the musician's face. And honestly, the bemused feeling doesn't really leave him when the answer is provided, and he glances over the back of the couch at the easels lined up. [say]"Oh? What would you have believed?"[/say] he wonders, though his smile fades somewhat at the memory of his just-over-half-a-year in college. [say]"That brother I told you about went missing in the army. And it was decided that someone needed to fill his shoes."[/say]

You see where this is going, his tone suggests. [say]"You think so?"[/say] He can't hide either the surprise nor the pleasure in his voice, Ronin's gaze returning to Remi. [say]"Thank you. And I assure you, that won't be that. For a start, all of the ladies in that front row will be busy undressing you with their eyes. An icon, close enough to touch."[/say]

[say]"Oh...I guess that you went to some sort of school for the trades? Engines and automotive whatnot."[/say] Remi says with a shrug, feeling as though he's already about two feet deeper than he'd like in a hole he can't stop himself from digging. But it hardly matters, because in comes Ronin with a backhoe to pull the ground out from both of them. [say]"Oh."[/say] It's a hollow response, but it's all he can think to say as he scans the lines of Ronin's face, wondering how much he's meant to pry, or what he's meant to say in response. The pair keep finding themselves wading into waters that they've no business at all being in, and new as they are to one another, Remi has no idea how to navigate his way to safer footing.

[say]"So you...had to live in his shadow? Until you stopped and came out here?"[/say] He hopes it sounds clumsy rather than insensitive if it has to be one over the other.

[say]'Close enough is not the same as someone they can stumble drunkenly into. And then you're just a oh, did I spill your drink? Let me buy you another away from being in a sitcom-romance.'[/say] Remi counters, finding himself boyishly amused as much as the picture he's painting is making him sort-of jealous. [say]'That's the part of it I don't particularly like. There is nothing wrong with being gay in the music industry but...until my contract is up, I am bound to a marketing team who tells me that because most of my demographic are single straight women, well...'[/say] Remi returns Ronin's earlier look; you can see where this is going.

[say]"I suppose that's half true. I spent most of my time in the army learning how to do this stuff, so by the time I got out I had all the knowledge I needed to start out wherever I wanted,"[/say] Ronin concedes with a lopsided smile - it's true that they keep finding themselves in these weird oh this is serious talk places, but fuck, at least if they have the conversation once they don't have to do it again. [say]"Oh,"[/say] he agrees, but with a great deal more warmth in his voice.

[say]"Half live in his shadow, half try to find him, I think?"[/say] He furrows his brow. [say]"My family is old school military - someone should always be in the army, or something like that. Since they were paying my tuition, when they told me to bail out I didn't really have a choice."[/say] Ronin shrugs. [say]"Fat lot of good that did them, though. I didn't stop - I was kicked out."[/say] And fuck if there's not a hint of pride in his voice about it.

Remi amuses them both with the bizarre picture he's painting, and Ronin rubs at the stubble on his chin and raises his eyebrows up at him. [say]"Oh, shit. You're straight for the cameras, huh?"[/say] He wrinkles his nose. [say]"Well, I can assure you that there'll be no sitcom romancing here. It's all awkward, terrible conversation here."[/say]

[say]"Where do you think you'd be, if not for all of that?"[/say] Remi wants to know. All of that just casually being a few years of trauma, the army business notwithstanding. Regretting the words only slightly—hey, what would your life have been were it not fucked over for you?—there's something deeply genuine in how the musician turns, leaning over the couch to rest his arms against the back of it.

Eyes widening slightly, Remi laughs loudly and unapologetically. [say]"Oh and a bad boy streak as well."[/say] His is not a military family, and so Remi understands little of the pride nor disrespect that's implied here. [say]"Go on then. What were you kicked out for?"[/say] If only Remi knew more than just what vague war-movies had told him, he might not have asked this question with so much levity.

[say]'Straightish, for sure."[/say] Often photographed with a blue-eyed blonde, Remi has happily let the media come to their own conclusions about his relationship with her. That she is often seen leaving his apartment in the mornings or sneaking in at night only helps his case. Never mind that he and Isla are usually just bingeing horror movies, or she's his emergency contact when he finds himself just a little too deep.

[say]'Well, at least I can vouch for that.'[/say] Remi agrees with a chuckle. [say]"I did see the bartender slip you both a tied cherry stem and what I can only assume was her number the other night. It nearly knocked me right off my game."[/say] He admits, straightening and walking around the couch to sink down next to Ronin.

[say]"Oh God. Probably in some pretentious art history college as a lecturer, painting for galleries, being an alcoholic pain in the ass. Might even be in NYC still. Maybe I'd even still have met you, but you'd like me a lot better."[/say] He grins. All in all, he takes the question pretty gracefully, though as Remi mentions more about his exit from the army, the smile falters; almost automatically, Ronin rubs at the shoulder that the musician will know by now conceals a gunshot scar.

[say]"Dishonourable discharge,"[/say] he mutters. [say]"I abandoned my post, but I stand by it. We were holding a position but there were distress calls coming from a neighbouring unit. I abandoned the post and it was taken, but I was able to help the unit."[/say] He shrugs.

Scoffing at straightish, he shuffles up to let the other man slouch down onto the sofa beside him, wondering what it entails to be that way. But then it's the cherry stem and the phone number, and he's grinning again, tilting his head as if surprised that the other man had even noticed. [say]"You saw that?[/say] he asks. [say]"I didn't know anything could put you off your game. Besides, I didn't accept either of them. I was busy texting."[/say]

Remi laughs and blushes both as his lips twist into a smile and his brows raise with consideration. [say]'We'd not have met in some club's backroom, though.'[/say] He points out, feeling yet more laughter building at the base of his throat. [say]"No...it would be at some hopelessly boring party we were forced to attend, just to say we were there."[/say] Though he doesn't want to admit it, the idea of professorly-Ronin does do it for him more than cares to admit just now. Besides, biker-Ronin is doing it for him just fine.

Were it not for the way every ounce of amusement has faded from the musician to see Ronin's expression change so dramatically, he might have made a joke about how Ronin could abandon his post, and yet have stood by it. Biting his top and bottom lip together, Remi swallows hard. [say]"I won't pretend I know much of what any of that means."[/say] He offers. [say]"I know it isn't like in the movies, but...if this is the army version of "better to be hated for who you are.." "[/say] Remi trails off, the words already sounding stupid and superficial. [say]"I'm sorry."[/say] It's strange, after having just having had sex with Ronin, to feel too awkward to reach over and touch him, but so it is.

[say]'Oh, lots of things can.'[/say] Remi says with a shake of his head; the vibration in his pocket tells him that their food is close, but he ignores it for the moment. [say]'But busy texting? She must have been annoyed about it. She didn't really seem like the type who gets turned down often. '[/say] Feeling something burn and shine in his chest, Remi clears his throat as he glances distractedly toward the door, trying to hide his blush.

Ronin feigns a wince to even consider the idea of being forced to attend something - it's a feeling he's very famliar with, funnily enough - though there's definite playfulness in his eyes as he nods his agreement. [say]"Mmhm, and we'd have to pose for a couple of pictures, just to make sure that the right people saw the right kind of things, and then we'd be free to go and get off our tits on our poison of choice,"[/say] he reasons, letting out an exaggerated sigh. [say]"Oh, what a life I might have led."[/say]

Alas, this is the life he has, in the sudden solemn turn of conversation, and he shuffles to sit up a bit and offer Remi a smile that, while not nearly as bright as his previous ones, is genuine all the same. [say]"It's nothing to be sorry about,"[/say] he assures him. [say]"I did the right thing, no matter what stamp the army puts on it. And it meant I could come here and start... living my life. I can't feel bad about that."[/say]

Neither can he feel bad about what Remi says next, and their previous dyamic seems to rekindle. [say]"Like what?"[/say] he wonders. [say]"And she might not have been used to it then, but she will now. It was that song that did it - the one you decided to play off the record. I think you got everyone's attention with that."[/say]

[say]'You'd have someone managing your Instagram, the same way I'm meant to let someone manage mine. There'd be a write-up in some online blog no one cares about the next day, and I would likely remember not a moment of it the next day.'[/say] Remi says, then thinks better of it and adds, [say]"Then again, I might, had I met you."[/say] It's needlessly sweet and sappy and the musician finds he absolutely means it.

There's little more for Remi to do than hum under his breath and nod. His mind has already begun to write song lyrics about the man who did the wrong thing for the right reasons, briefly losing himself in the thought of immortalizing this man he'd just met in the only way he knew how.

[say]'Well. I don't play as well if I'm in a bad mood.'[/say] He says, starting off easy. [say]"Or if I'm too high."[/say] Another obvious one. [say]"Or...thinking about a man I'd met, and if he'd show up...and then when he does, overthinking what I might say to sound interested."[/say] Ruffling a hand through the back of his curls, Remi raises a brow as his head tilts from side to side. [say]"Part of me wondered if you were some reporter who just wanted to see if there was any truth to the rumours of me being gay. Then the other part saw you with the bartender and wondered if you were gay at all."[/say]

Now it's Remi's turn to let his smile slip somewhat, though he holds the remnants of it slightly more easily than Ronin had. [say]"I was told in no uncertain terms not to do that."[/say] Remi says slowly, with no small amount of animosity in his voice. [say]"When I said this was the life I signed up for, I meant that. I am contractually bound in ways I would never agree to now, but...è la vita."[/say]