Court of the Fallen
whiskey, smoke and aces high - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: whiskey, smoke and aces high (/showthread.php?tid=5405)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: whiskey, smoke and aces high - Ronin - 08-19-2021

[say]"I am,"[/say] Ronin agrees with a wistful sigh that's entirely for Bandcamp's benefit. [say]"Did I forget to tell you that bit of my story? Wonder how that thieving apprentice of mine is going to take it."[/say] Grinning, he glances back to the bar even if he's sitting very comfortably against Remi as more people join the press of those trying to get drinks. Of course, rockstar status means they don't have to really wait for anything, and when the next couple of shots arrive, he lifts his own in a toast.

[say]"To the bodyguards I know,"[/say] he murmurs, sinking the second shot as well and raising an eyebrow as Remi leans in close. Already buzzed and then some, Ronin also leans in, and he's appropriately flabbergasted to hear the value of the jacket. [say]"Rented? Damn,"[/say] he says, having to shift closer still as the bar crowds. [say]"Want to get out of here?"[/say] he asks suddenly. [say]"Your place is closer, or I could call an Uber to mine."[/say]

RE: whiskey, smoke and aces high - Remi - 08-19-2021

[say]"I think it goes along quite nicely actually. You're both liars pretending to be something you aren't."[/say] Remi suggests and as the words leave his lips it's unclear whether or not he's just being a shit or if his subconscious is trying to suggest something to him.  Raising his own glass and drinking it in on go, albeit more slowly this time, Remi sets it down and nods sagely.

[say]"Half of the fancy cars you see celebrities driving? Rented for show. Same with all their bling."[/say] It was easy to see how imposture syndrome could get under someone's skin, when...you were an imposter, by and large. Nudged hard enough to find himself nearly in Ronin's lap had he not been bracing himself against the counter, Remi sits up and nods. [say]"Yes,"[/say] He agrees far too readily, before clearing his throat and reaching into his jeans for his wallet.

[say]"Mine is closer and has drinkable coffee."[/say] Remi corrects, handing a wad of folded up bills to the bartender with all the ease of someone who has done many cash transactions on the down-low. [say]"Keep the change. Looks like it's going to be a hell of a night."[/say] Trying to slide his way through the throngs of bar-goers who have now taken up every square foot of space, Remi glances over his shoulder to make sure Ronin was with him in lieu of reaching out for the other man's hand. [say]"So you didn't bike, then?"[/say] He shouts, over the noise.

[say]"Oh ouch. My feelings."[/say] Ronin hisses in a breath and presses a hand against his heart, as if Remi has cut him to the quick. The parallels they could draw between this imaginary prince and his imaginary apprentice and the ex-soldier and the imposter-syndrome-rockstar are too easy, and he's in too good a mood to go there, to be frank. Before he can pay for their drinks Remi is already beating him to it, and he nudges his knee against the other man's.

[say]"Now you're just showing off,"[/say] he says. [say]"So is it coffee we're going back to yours for?"[/say] he wonders as he sidles out of his seat to follow after Bandcamp towards the door. Or are they going for coffee, the kind with bunny ears around the word that tastes more like Remi's tongue pressed against his own.

Sticking close so as not to lose him in the crowd, it feels like longer than it ought to before they burst out into the night air, Ronin rolling his shoulders as if to get the sensation of other people off him. [say]"Nah,"[/say] he says of the bike. [say]"The leathers didn't seem like the right vibe for your concert. Why, were you hoping for another ride?"[/say]

Ronin's knee against his own has butterflies wheedling their way out of cocoons in his belly, and as he tries to explain that no, he meant the coffee was for the morning, he manages to trap the words behind a crooked grin. [say]"Well I'll need the coffee if I'm going to stay up and hear you ramble on about bikes all night, aren't I?"[/say]

Breathing in a deep breath that hasn't just immediately been exhaled by someone else, Remi shoots Ronin a crooked look wondering if the other man could also see the eggplant emojis coming out of his mouth when he spoke. [say]"Oh, so...you hid who you were to fit in? Okay prince."[/say] Raising his eyebrows as if to say you're making this too easy, he nods over his shoulder in the direction of his apartment.

A buzzing in his pocket has Remi reaching for his phone, where the screen displays a message that says, "Hope your show went well LOL". Rolling his eyes, he holds it up for Hallway to see. [say]"She knows lol doesn't mean lots of love, but has decided to adopt it anyway."[/say] He explains, smiling adoringly at the screen and imagining Vai's sweet and smug smile.

[say]"The bike rambling was revenge for hearing all about music theory,"[/say] Ronin snarks back. [say]"Last time I ever ask a question about a scribble on your god damned wall,"[/say] he mutters, fishing in his pockets for cigarettes and a lighter. He sparks up and offers one to Remi as well, resisting the urge to kick him in the shins for his repeated insistence at royalty. [say]"Says the man who wore a $4000 jacket tonight,"[/say] he counters, before they're walking towards his apartment and his phone buzzes.

Raising an eyebrow at the screen, Ronin scoffs and grins around the drag he's taking on his smoke, finding himself very much able to appreciate the sense of humour from Bandcamp's mother figure. [say]"She seems like a riot,"[/say] he says with no small amount of warmth in his voice, though the suddenly gooey expression on Remi's face might be a contributing factor there. [say]"Do you see her often?"[/say]

Remi pretends to look offended (10% of it is genuine, music theory is much more interesting than motorcycles, just ask anyone), but accepts the cigarette. The smoke is smooth against the back of his throat, and he lets it linger there for a moment before tipping his head back and exhaling decadently. [say]'You say that now...'[/say] He hums menacingly; should Ronin look closely he'll find his name in scribbles on Remi's god damned walls, and the musician will be ready and waiting to remind him of this conversation when he asks about it.

[say]'Wore the hell out of that jacket.'[/say] Remi snarks childishly, as he shoves his phone back into his pocket. [say]"She is. You'd like her."[/say] Only then does the musician realize the truth of this, and though it causes some of the butterflies in his stomach to die, it causes others to float up into his throat. [say]"Yeah, or...I guess she sees me often."[/say] Remi answers, itching at the back of his neck. [say]"She'll facetime me and just tell me to leave my camera on while I'm at home even if we aren't talking."[/say] Taking another puff of his cigarette, Remi plucks it from his lips with a shrug. [say]"Sometimes I swear she has cameras in my apartment, with the number of things she knows about me."[/say] Then, hastily added because of the things done by the two men in said apartment: [say]"She doesn't though."[/say]

At least...he was pretty sure she didn't. If only because Vai didn't even believe in having a microwave inside her house, but less surveillance equipment.

[say]"I do say that now,"[/say] Ronin agrees through a drawl and a smile that is nothing less than triumphant as he exhales a whorl of smoke into the night air. Because he hasn't found his name in scribbles on Remi's walls yet, and until he does he declares himself the unofficial winner of this particular vein of conversation. [say]"Mm, you did,"[/say] he says about the jacket, [say]"I'll give you that much. You should see if you can rent-to-buy it."[/say] And obviously never wear it again after that, because who the fuck wears a $4000 jacket out to a dive bar as Bandcamp has rightly pointed out.

His eyebrows raise to hear that he'd like Vai, Ronin's footsteps slowing as Remi's apartment building draws up ahead. [say]"Adorable and slightly creepy,"[/say] comes his verdict, though he can't help but grin to himself to imagine the silent company provided by a phone on Facetime. [say]"She's just showing you she cares, I suppose."[/say]

RE: whiskey, smoke and aces high - Remi - 08-20-2021

Remi raises his eyebrows looking only slightly embarrassed before giving his head a shake. [say]"I think I'll save my money for other things."[/say] He decides. [say]"Like paying for your drinks."[/say] Which was both meant to rub in the fact that Remi had done so early as much as it was meant to allude to more outings between the two of them.

[say]'Oh, she cares alright. Of that there's absolutely no doubt at all.'[/say] Remi chuckles warmly, patting his pockets for his keys. Frowning slightly and popping his cigarette between his lips to properly search, Remi's fingers come up empty each time he checks. His keys were in his guitar case, where they normally were, and where Remi had left them thanks to the way he'd rushed out to meet Ronin.

[say]"Perché sei così?"[/say] Remi hisses under his breath, glancing up to the fourth floor of the building where his apartment was. One of the windows was indeed open—he didn't have air conditioning of course—but this wasn't a movie. Surely they couldn't scale his building...? [say]"Tu idiota!"[/say] Plucking the cigarette from his mouth and ruffling a hand through his curls, Remi sighs and elaborates for Ronin just in case the where-are-my-keys dance followed by Italian cursing hadn't been clear enough. [say]"My...keys are back at the theatre. What do you think? Would you prefer to try and climb a building, or walk back..?"[/say] And pray someone is there to let us in.

RE: whiskey, smoke and aces high - Ronin - 08-20-2021

[say]"Oho, is that so? Well the next round is on me, sorry. So you're just gonna have to wait."[/say] Is this going to turn into one of those things where they each try to out-pay the other? Probably. Hell if Ronin cares if it means he can keep hanging out with Remi, however weird and wonderful (and sometimes argumentative) their meetings tend to be. Take now, for instance, Ronin standing before the apartment building with a cigarette between his lips, pretending that Bandcamp isn't trying to find keys that definitely are not there.

He's learning to enjoy the French Italian gibberish that occasionally spouts from his lips, too, raising his eyebrows in faux innocence as he's graciously given an explanation. [say]"Do you not have a spare hidden somewhere?"[/say] he asks, wrinkling his nose as he looks up at the fourth floor window. [say]"Or if there's a fire escape it should be easy to get most of the way up. I fancy our changes."[/say]

[say]"Hidden? In New York? In case you haven't noticed, there aren't many potted plants or welcome mats."[/say] Remi grumbles sounding more than annoyed. The high from the show and Ronin's blue eyes is in rapid free-fall now, as if there's some giant clock ticking down between now and the moment when Hallway will simply opt to fuck off on home.

[say]"There is, but it's around back."[/say] AKA not near the open window. Rubbing out his cigarette with the toe of his boot, Remi glances up at the open window as if his dog might somehow appear with the keys in his mouth. [say]"Fanculo. Uhh well, if we take the fire escape, we could get onto the roof and then try and...Mission Impossible our way into that window? If Tom Cruise can do it...?"[/say]

Taking a thoughtful drag on his cigarette and raising an eyebrow at Remi, Ronin is far too buzzed from the multiple shots of whiskey in succession to be more than mildly amused by this spanner thrown in their plans to (presumably) fuck and drink coffee at some point. [say]"I meant on the inside of the building,"[/say] he points out. [say]"Y'know the old trick, press all the buttons so someone buzzes you inside, then you can find your own welcome mat and potted plant where you hid your key."[/say]

Except apparently not, because this is much more fun. [say]"We could,"[/say] Ronin figures with a gentle nod. [say]"How many floors on your building...?"[/say] He squints, trying to count the windows, before giving up with a shrug and starting to walk around towards this fire escape. [say]"Tom Cruise is a little scientologist bitch. We're better'n that, let's do it."[/say]

Remi rolls his eyes. [say]'Your privilege is showing. If I left so much as a doorstop outside my door it would be stolen within the hour and god help me if it had a key attached."[/say]

Smirking, Remi answers without hesitation. [say]"Just the four."[/say] He agrees, following behind Hallway. [say]"And he is that, but he does do his own stunts, so.."[/say] Surely being ex-army would make Ronin moderately good at this sort of thing? The man was in shape, Remi knew that from experience (whereas the musician's muscles were mainly for show).

Around the back of the building a foot or so above Ronin's head was the bottom few stairs of the fire escape. Glancing up at it, Remi tilts his head consideringly wondering if they were going to boost each other up or just take a running start. [say]"Can you be arrested for breaking into your own apartment?"[/say] He wonders conversationally. Although Music Icon found Breaking and Entering with Irish Ex-Pat was not a headline his marketing team would appreciate seeing in the morning.

[say]"What does a gig like the one we were just at actually pay?"[/say] Ronin wonders with a shit-eating grin directed towards Bandcamp. On the one hand, his privilege is showing for expecting a welcome mat in a building, on the other - $4000 jacket. [say]"He's a prick but he does his own stunts?"[/say] Ronin scoffs, glancing up at the fire escape and not seeming to consider it much of an issue. [say]"Do you want a boost up?"[/say] He voices Remi's thoughts without meaning to, already dropping down to one knee and making a cradle out of his interlaced fingers.

[say]"I reckon you could pass it off as a marketing stunt if you had to?"[/say] he suggests. [say]"Say it was helping you clear your head, to think outside the box. Or lie and say it was your stunt double, not you."[/say] Why a rockstar needs a stunt double isn't entirely clear, but Ronin thinks it's plausible anyway.

Where's Ronin's question is likely one asked without any implication or assumptions, the musician doesn't really hear it as such. With cheeks flushed hot with shame, Remi clears his throat and frowns down at the ground, willing his mind to come up with something pithy to say in response. Nothing comes though, and as the seconds drag on he simply swallows and shrugs. [say]"Not as much as you'd expect."[/say]

Trying to shake it off, Remi nods. [say]"Yeah, didn't you know that?"[/say] He says sounding incredulous, but at the end of the day, why did he know that? He didn't even like Tom Cruise (though Vanilla Sky was a mind fuck).

[say]'Uh.'[/say] Though Remi had imagined Ronin on his knees in the back of his mind, it...hadn't quite been like this. [say]"Okay well if we get caught, I'll let you do the talking."[/say] For someone who had bullshitted so easily before about coming up with stories, Remi's mind was annoyingly vacant of ideas just now. Placing his foot experimentally in Hallway's grip, he presses down a few times before counting. [say]"3...2...1—"[/say] But leaping up to grab the bottom of the stairs.

Good thing he'd been working on pullups at the gym. Scrambling his way onto the platform, he glances down at Hallway. [say]"Is this where you pull some parkour army shit and get yourself up, or do you want a hand?"[/say]