Court of the Fallen
whiskey, smoke and aces high - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: whiskey, smoke and aces high (/showthread.php?tid=5405)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: whiskey, smoke and aces high - Ronin - 08-23-2021

[say]"I should have known better about a lot of shit, apparently,"[/say] Ronin snaps. [say]"And that's bold of you, to assume that it was a pleasure."[/say] It was though, and he's being spiteful and snarky for the sake of it at this point, which is fine because gods if he isn't getting as good as he gives. [say]"If someone's gotta sink two shots to be around you, don't you think that says something about the company?"[/say] he asks with a raise of his eyebrows, though of the two of them, Ronin thinks he's more used to having his existence raked across the coals mid-conversation.

It means that rather than offended, he's just riled up with anger by the time Bandcamp brings out the Big Italian Words, and Ronin nearly rolls his eyes hard enough to throw himself out of the window. [say]"Yeah, well you still sound French to me--"[/say] he begins, because what else can you say to words you don't know, when the musician (still attached to tubes and beeping machines and where the fuck are Ronin's hands supposed to go) leans in to silence him with a kiss.

And it's like permission that Ronin has been waiting for, the mechanic melting into it, letting his arms work around Remi however they can without ripping out something important. He's equal parts helping him to stand and holding him close at this point, and though the kiss isn't lacking in passion, he also remembers Remi getting breathless just trying to climb out of bed.

[say]"I'm sorry,"[/say] he almost whispers as he parts from him just enough to get the words out. [say]"All I've done since I got that hospital address is fucking worry."[/say] And then he's leaning in again to kiss him, caring not one fuck about the protests the machines want to make.

RE: whiskey, smoke and aces high - Remi - 08-24-2021

[say]'Well if it wasn't, then you're a goddamn masochist for coming back so often.'[/say] Remi snaps back in return, as if being cruel might somehow thicken his own skin against the words Ronin was saying. Words that very much were hitting all their intended marks.

After nothing but fluids and saltines to say that Ronin tasted divine wasn't far from the truth. The musician would have torn out all of his IVs and tubes himself if it wouldn't bring the nurses running (which he knew from experience it absolutely would). [say]"I'm sorry."[/say] Remi repeats, sounding far more breathless and weak than he had moments ago when he was shouting insults. One of his hands braces against the window while the other tangles around Hallway's hip to steady himself. Sinking to the floor sounds like a great idea just now, if not for the plastic tethers that demand he stay upright.

[say]"I fuc—"[/say] Ronin's lips warm him in a way that the heating pad on his bed simply can't compete with, and Remi finds himself dangerously melting into the tentative embrace. With shaking knees and waves of cold nausea sloshing against his ankles, the musician's lips become tighter and thin against Hallway's as he struggles for balance. [say]"I fucked..up.."[/say] He pants. Behind him, is O2 monitor begins to drop. [say]"..I got in my head. But I really.."[/say] Irish's eyes were blazing blue now and his lips were so pink they look stained. Had he come in here like that?

[say]"..I really wanted to.."[/say] go away with you. I had so many things planned. Why was that so hard to say? [say]"..be.."[/say] It was like thinking through molasses, and jesus who turned down the heat? He'd have to talk to Isla about that.

RE: whiskey, smoke and aces high - Ronin - 08-24-2021

It's neither romantic or passionate, not when Ronin realises he's holding onto a man about to pass the fuck out. [say]"Hey, careful..."[/say] he mumbles, parting from their kiss that he might take over from the window sill to hold the musician up. Tucking himself beneath one of Remi's arms, he's got that sweet military training to thank for the ability to hoist around dead weight, and the beeping of the machines gets his attention as he turns them back to the bed.

[say]"It was just a stupid trip,"[/say] he says, his tone a good deal warmer and less judgemental than even a second ago. [say]"We can plan it again. Or stay somewhere closer to the city - I don't mind. But not until you can walk out of here on your own two feet, okay?"[/say] Ronin doesn't quite manage a smile - he's too busy keeping an eye on the O2 monitor. [say]"And for what it's worth, my phone is never on silent. In case you ever get in your head again."[/say]

It's only a step or two back to bed, but gods if it doesn't feel a thousand miles away right now. Ronin blames all the tubes and shit that make Bandcamp look like some marionette with broken strings, and he has to be exceedingly careful not to yank anything out as he all but manhandles him back to the safety of the blankets.

Remi's body might have been made out of stone for all the good it was doing him. Unable to feel Ronin's support, unable to walk, and currently unable to say all the sweet things that were draped over his tongue, Remi's frustration was growing even as his blood pressure was dropping.

As Hallway puts him back into bed as best he can, Remi has the sudden urge to plead with the other man to climb in. Beds in movies and sitcoms always support that sort of thing, so surely there would be room. Instead though, he simply passes out, causing his monitors to sound a literal alarm that has a nurse briskly walking into the room gripping her stethoscope. [say]"Who are you?"[/say] She barks at Ronin. [say]"And what is that window doing open? And are those—"[/say] Eyeing the cigarette package on the window, she exhales what might as well have been cartoon bursts of steam from her nose. [say]"Were you smoking?"[/say]

Rather than continuing her tirade, the nurse adjusts the oxygen levels before being joined by two more nurses who help re-position the unconscious musician in the bed. It doesn't take long for his eyelashes to flutter open again, and with a drunken flop of his head that Remi's eyes manage to find Ronin. [say]"...really wanted to be with you."[/say] He finishes.

Ronin just about manages to get Remi into bed before he loses consciousness completely, which is about when the nurses arrive. He can't say how thankful he is for that - despite all the shouting at him and accusing him of smoking - because while he might have rudimentary medical knowledge from the forces, he's very much out of his depth here. [say]"A friend,"[/say] he supplies. [say]"And no, I wasn't."[/say] Because he wasn't - Remi was about to.

Still, they work swiftly enough that Bandcamp has returned to the land of the living before Ronin can get too worried, and he sags into the seat next to the bed in time for him to drunkenly set his gaze on him. [say]"Well I'm here now,"[/say] he murmurs, reaching out a hand to rest it over Remi's wrist (he can't reach for his hand because a) nurses watching and b) lots of tubes in the way). [say]"Do you want to come back to my place, when you're discharged? If you need someone to keep an eye on you or anything?"[/say]

After resetting a few things (insert medical jargon here), the nurses seem content to leave Remi as he is for the time being. Meanwhile, the musician has managed only to smile weakly up at Ronin as the other man joins him. [say]"Hey...you sat down.."[/say] He points out sleepily. [say]"But...Ama.."[/say] Remi adds, frowning with a great deal of effort.

[say]"Will you stay with me?"[/say] He's only able to ask because of how absolutely out of it he is. Had Ronin waited another 10 minutes before bringing it up, Remi would simply have declined, saying he had Vai and Isla to look in on him, no matter how much he really did want it to be Ronin instead. Understanding and focus sharpen Remi's gaze very slowly; like using cold water to wash away honey, rationality does shine through after a time. But the words have already left his lips, and unable to move given how leaden he feels, Remi is forced to simply wait and deal with the consequences.

[say]"Yeah, I suppose I did,"[/say] Ronin murmurs with a belated smile, trying not to think about how Bandcamp somehow makes recovering from an overdose look sweet and even sort of handsome. [say]"Ah, yeah..."[/say] He'd forgotten about the dog - but Ronin is sure he could swing things with his landlady for Amadeus to stay as well, at least until the musician is well enough to return home.

But oh, how the tables are turning; Ronin can only blink at the sudden offer for him to stay instead. It shouldn't be much different given that it's exactly what he'd offered just in reverse, and yet he still finds his cheeks flushing a bit as the nurses file out. [say]"Sure, if that's easier for you,"[/say] he says (far too easily). [say]"It's closer to my shop as well, I guess."[/say]

[say]'Only if you want..'[/say] Remi mumbles, speech coming to him easier now that most of his circuits are finished resetting. His brain still feels like it's in a bit of a fog, but it's clear enough to realize that come look after me is a giant leap forward in their relationship. Especially since he'd made them miss the romantic weekend away step.

[say]'Does it make you a really good kisser or a really bad one, that you made me faint?'[/say] Remi wonders, trying for a smooth change of topic rather than dwelling on what it would be like to play house with Hallway.

[say]"I'd like to know that too."[/say] Comes a cheerful voice from the doorway. With her arms folded across her chest and an unimpressed smile on her lips, Isla pushes herself off from the wall and makes her way over. [say]"So this is him, huh?"[/say] She asks, eyeing Ronin.

[say]"Given that I've never made you faint before, I imagine it could mean either,"[/say] Ronin reasons with a small smile and a shrug, though he doesn't seem remotely awkward now that it's been decided. The whole coming to look after Remi thing, he means. He is sure - he does want, and he'd have said as much were it not for the sudden voice that interrupts their finally-not-an-arguments.

Clearing his throat and sitting up, his hand slipping from Remi's arm (he doesn't know that Isla knows, even if the line of conversation makes it pretty fucking obvious), he offers a polite smile to the blonde in the doctor's coat. [say]"Oh,"[/say] he says, suddenly recognising the sound of her from the voicemail. [say]"Hi. Thanks for..."[/say] He gestures at the room around them, given that Isla had been the one to give him the address. [say]"I didn't mean to make him pass out."[/say]

[say]'Oh is right.'[/say] Isla agrees breezily, reaching for Remi's chart and flipping a few pages over to study the newly-added scribbles. [say]"Sure. That's what they all say."[/say] She adds with a chuckle, before reaching down for one of Remi's toes and twisting it beneath the sheets. [say]"OW."[/say] Remi cries a touch childishly, flinching and reaching out as if he might have the flexibility to rub his wounded foot. (He doesn't). [say]"Oh you're fine."[/say] Isla says with a roll of her eyes. In reality, though, he was. If his blood flow had made it back to his feet from his faint, and the pain from his toe had made it up to his brain, everything was in more or less working order.

[say]"So did I hear that right? This one is taking you home?"[/say] She asks with a raised brow, looking stern only for a moment before reaching out to clap Ronin on the back. [say]"Great, because your place is a mess and if I had to hear Vai lecture me about the benefits of white sage and adding more turmeric to my diet, one of us was going to end up in the morgue."[/say]

Ronin feels like rather the odd one out here between doctor and patient, clearing his throat and sitting with his hands in his lap as Isla makes her checks and her quips. He manages a smile at the clap on his back (and the dramatics from Remi), the mechanic rising to his feet as if this interruption is all the signal he needs to get going for real. [say]"I'll meet you from here tomorrow, then?"[/say] he murmurs. [say]"If you've got your phone again, just give me a call to tell me when you're ready."[/say]

He hopes he doesn't also get cornered by Vai to talk about white sage and turmeric, because he's never met the woman but formidable is the sort of word that springs to mind from Remi's descriptions. [say]"Is there anything I can get you, or anything you need for your apartment?"[/say]

Fixing Isla with an unhappy look that seems to say, I love you, but you're a real cockblock and also thanks for everything, Remi tenses his jaw before turning to look at Ronin with a bit of a sigh. He really didn't want Hallway to go, but all things considered, things were probably only going to go downhill from here. [say]"No, that's alright. We can order whatever we need."[/say] Though Isla was his best (and only real) friend, still Remi suddenly wished she go up in a puff of smoke. He knew he could ask her to leave, but that would make things too awkward, and so it's with a nervous swallow that Remi resigns himself to his situation.

[say]"Thanks for everything Ronin."[/say] When was the last time he'd actually used Hallway's name? [say]"And I'm sorry I fucked things up."[/say] In more ways than one, but Isla didn't necessarily need all the details.

[say]'Saw your manager earlier.'[/say] Isla muses under her breath. [say]'The word engagement was tossed around. When were you thinking about popping the question?'[/say] Her smile is cheerful even if her tone isn't. [say]'Oh no, I think I'm falling unconscious again...'[/say] Remi mutters, feigning a swoon and closing his eyes tightly.

[say]"Shit happens,"[/say] Ronin murmurs with a smile between the two of them, collecting up his bike helmet and his gloves. [say]"I'll see you tomorrow."[/say] He leaves before he can find out too much more about Remi's management and his engagement to Isla, heading back out into the rain with his head spinning and his emotions still coping with the whiplash of all that had happened.

He'd like to say the rest of the day was easy, but it's not. The first text comes from Isla an hour after he gets home and unpacks, providing a frank warning about the state of Remi's apartment and a request to please go and feed the dog. And so Ronin does just that, using the keys in his lockbox and feeling very much like an intruder as he heads upstairs. Amadeus is very pleased to see him, as one might expect from a dog who hasn't been fed all weekend. And Ronin doesn't plan to do much more than check on him, untill he really sees the state of the place.

The evidence of the overdose is clear, as is the bag packed for their trip away, and it's with a long sigh and a pinch to the bridge of his nose that he gets to work. Sheets go to the launderette along with a few other garments, the apartment receives a very practical tidy up (is it obvious that he's been in the military? yes) and he gets in the basics for coffee and a snack at the very least.

It's raining even harder the following day when Ronin comes to pick up Remi. They take an Uber because he's not forcing Bandcamp on the back of his bike in his state, and by the time they're on the third flight of stairs up to his studio, Ronin is lingering just in case Remi keels over back down them. [say]"You sure you're alright?"[/say]

Remi very much is about to keel over backwards, but he waves Hallway off with a weak flop of his wrist. [say]"Never better."[/say] He lies, hating himself for simultaneously sweating and breathing hard and yet still wanting a cigarette. [say]'You're a good—"[/say] Friend? Fuck buddy? Stopping, one arm wrapped around the railing for dear life, Remi heaves a sigh at his feet. [say]"I don't deserve this from you."[/say] He acknowledges, cutting through the bullshit his mind wants to say instead. [say]"Especially given what we.."[/say] Are? Aren't? [say]"..have been doing."[/say] Which was essentially getting drunk, fucking, and trading sexually charged insults.

Forcing himself up the remainder of the stairs, it's only when Hallway opens the door that the full weight of guilt the musician should feel, hits him. [sAY]"Gesù Cristo."[/say] He can tell instantly it wasn't Vai who cleaned up, because there aren't any new candles, no heart-shaped notes scattered everywhere, and the room smells fresh. [say]"You..cleaned..?"[/say] Remi wonders, sounding horrified and looking suddenly quite pale.

Please tell me I was burgled by a neat-freak. So long as the piano and my dog are here, I wouldn't even care.