Court of the Fallen
brand new start - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: brand new start (/showthread.php?tid=5410)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: brand new start - Seren - 04-25-2021

Oh. Oh. That kind of 'friend'. Understanding dawned on the starchild and a sudden flush turned her cheeks rosy. Still, even though it was highly unlikely to ever actually happening, she couldn't help but play a bit more. [say]"So girls would be fine?"[/say] she asked, very wide eyed and innocent. This was not a conversation they'd ever had... how's that for firsts?

It was too bad they couldn't stay longer. But night wore on in the world even if time appeared suspended here, and even though Seren was awake and alert, she wouldn't keep Ronin up all night. Taking his hand, she opened the way back, not even sparing a glance to the sandy beaches for the items he requested.
[say]"I don't like shoes,"[/say] she said, as if that answered everything. And really... given the option for a piggyback ride, it was almost guaranteed that any footwear hidden on that sandy island would remain gone, even if they existed. The slight smile playing at the corner of her mouth, as she led the way back into the garden, said as much.

RE: brand new start - Ronin - 04-27-2021

Yes, that kind of friend. Ronin raises his eyebrows at her question, as if wondering how to phrase it in a way that won't wipe that beautiful innocence from his daughter's face. This is a first for them both. [say]"I tell you what,"[/say] he murmurs as his hand closes around hers, [say]"just... let me know in general, alright? At least until you're all settled in the barracks."[/say] Winking, as if that will make it a bit less awkward, they had back into the Celestine together.

Oh, and Ronin sees that little smile on Seren's face. That in combination with the not liking shoes, and he's already leading her up and on top of the bench they were seated upon, so she can hop onto his back and they can be on their way. [say]"Do you think you can suffer a pair of shoes for training with the Dragoons?"[/say] he wonders. [say]"Or are we going to have to figure something else out?"[/say]

RE: brand new start - Seren - 04-27-2021

In general letting her dad approve all her friends before they could come play with her in her room? Hm. It sounded like the kind of supervision she was growing too old for, but if it made him happy, Seren would oblige. So she nodded in acceptance of his wishes, and was more than pleased to find that Ronin didn't even argue her lack of shoes. Or the piggyback ride.

[say]"Hmm. Difficult. But I guess I can try to wear them. Most of the time."[/say] Laughing, the girl skipped from ground to bench and onto his back, and even made herself a little lighter just to be nice. Wrapping her arms about his neck, the starchild took the opportunity to press her cheek to his. Then she pointed dramatically in a random direction and called out [say]"Onwards! Towards the dawn!"[/say] like she was the noble champion of the gods and he... well. A noble steed?

RE: brand new start - Ronin - 04-28-2021

It absolutely was the sort of supervision that Seren was getting too old for - and Ronin knows that he's being unreasonable, deep down, and he'll be giving himself a stern talking to when he next gets the chance. But for now his ridiculous needs seem to be met, his daughter is clinging to his back, and they are marching away towards the Dragon's Nest in the middle of the night. Was it in the direction Seren had pointed? No. But that's fine.

[say]"As long as you're not hurting your feet, you don't have to wear them,"[/say] Ronin concedes with a bright grin, his cheek smooshed against Seren's. There's no need for her to make herself lighter, not with how the world has shaped the Star, but he appreciates it nonetheless. [say]"So do you stay in your little pocket island?"[/say] he asks. [say]"Or shall we set you up with a proper room at the barracks?"[/say]

RE: brand new start - Seren - 04-28-2021

A fair point, and something she very much appreciated. Even so, Seren would try her best to wear the shoes. She would like to think that she did everything with all of her heart, even when it was somewhat unpleasant. [say]"I'm sure it will be alright,"[/say] she said with a slight shrug. [say]"Trying won't hurt, probably."[/say]

The city rolled by in slow majesty, and from this most pleasant perch the starchild found the view very agreeable. For a place built solely by human hand - and perhaps the touch of a god here and there - it was as impressive as it was modest. Not quite the colorful chaos of Haulani, she liked it all the same. A little more serious, perhaps somewhat uptight with its towers and statues, but beautiful.
[say]"A room would be better,"[/say] she replied, after considering the question. [say]"It's very difficult to get a hold of me when I'm at the island. And if I don't wake up in time, sleeping there can be... eh.. a little precarious. Never tried, so I don't really know what might happen."[/say] Best case, she was spat out. Worst case, she would wind up like the potted flowers she had tried to stick there. Dried out husks of... yeah, no. Best not to chance it. [say]"Where do you live?"[/say]

RE: brand new start - Ronin - 04-30-2021

[say]“Probably,”[/say] Ronin agrees. [say]“But I can’t promise that you won’t get blisters on your heels sometimes. The best boots need to hurt for them to be worn in properly.”[/say] He winks. He doesn’t know if that’s necessarily true, actually, but it’s true for him at least. They march onward into the quiet of the night, and though they will eventually come to the barracks, Ronin doesn’t seem to be in any hurry. Why should he be, when he can finally spend some time with his daughter?

[say]“Ah, I see,”[/say] he says of her little pocket island. [say]“Then we’ll make sure you’re kitted out with a room, so you’ll have a place to lay your head and to call your own.”[/say] As for where he lives? Ronin nods towards the Pacifist Plaza which is some way behind them now, blanketed in shadow. [say]“Remi, Mateo and I live in a little apartment above Remi’s alchemy shop back there. It’s called the Mortar and Pestle. You should drop by when you get the chance.”[/say]

RE: brand new start - Seren - 04-30-2021

She wrinkled her nose at the reminder of the discomfort that was to come. [say]"That's why I don't like shoes,"[/say] she pouted. [say]"They're only comfy when it's time to get new ones."[/say] Still, they had their uses. If she had to choose between blisters and crushed toes, it wasn't much to debate.

Glancing back through the nighttime shadows, Seren took note of the direction and nodded, tucking the name of the shop away for when she might need it. [say]"Of course. When will I get the chance? How does this even work, do I get to be Dragoon right away?"[/say] It seemed unlikely. Ronin had promised training, and that meant schedules and sore muscles and a lot to learn. It meant time, and effort, and probably many more things that she hadn't even thought of. [say]"What are the rules?"[/say] They might be good to know so she knew which ones to break.

RE: brand new start - Ronin - 05-02-2021

[say]"Not if you take care of them. Then you can cheat and you won't need to get new ones for a while."[/say] Ronin winks, as if the act of taking care of one's belongings is a trick one can play on fate. [say]"And if my daughter wants me to take her shoe shopping for soldier's boots... well, that is a sacrifice I will just have to make."[/say] Sacrifice being a relative term, given that Ronin thoroughly enjoys going shopping. Once a baron and all that.

They cross over a bridge, quiet but for the rush of water below, and in the distance against the black of the sky, an outline of a dragon can start to be seen. It's only a statue, but it's a good indication of the Dragon's nest. [say]"Not right away - we can't properly initiate you until you have your dragon. So as soon as Longheat gets here and I fix up that skyport, we'll get that done and you can start training with the others."[/say]

For now? [say]"It will just be basics. Fitness training, combat training, teaching you tactics and strategy and all that boring stuff."[/say] From the glint in Ronin's eye, he doesn't find it all that boring. [say]"You'll have the evenings to yourself, at first, and the weekends. Once your training is finished, you might have to work a few night patrols. I'm sure you won't mind the chance to see the stars though, right?"[/say]

RE: brand new start - Seren - 05-02-2021

Tricks were all Seren's forte, or so she liked to think. That she might have more than an endless cycle of blisters ahead of her was promising, and the young girl couldn't help but laugh at the quiet enthusiasm in Ronin's offer to go shopping. [say]"Then I shall prevail upon you to aid me in the search for the ultimate pair of boots,"[/say] she recited, mirth dancing through every syllable. [say]"I didn't know you were good at shoes. Where did you learn that?"[/say] There was so much she didn't know about her father...

Being up at night? Doing sneaky stealthy things? Trying to spot others doing even sneakier, stealthier shenanigans? Sounded like a job made for her. [say]"No, I definitely don't mind that. Thank you, dad."[/say] She hugged him affectionately through the grip around his neck. Her heart beat a fast steady rythm against his back, quickening as the stone dragon loomed into view overhead. Her new home had a dramatic fair to it that suited the girl very much. [say]"I'm looking forward to do all of this, you know. Being with you. Doing things together..."[/say] Making up for lost time.

RE: brand new start - Ronin - 05-02-2021

[say]"And I shall endeavour to find you something that fits like a glove. For your foot. A foot glove."[/say] (It's called a sock, Ronin). The Star glances up at her over his shoulder and bounces his eyebrows playfully. [say]"I've been a soldier for a long time, and I was a baron before I was even that. What I didn't learn from etiquette, I learned from experience."[/say] Blisters, wet boots, badly fitted shoes... Ronin has been around.

A soft smile flickers across his face at her thanks, and he turns his head a bit to lean it against hers. [say]"You're welcome, Seren. I'm looking forward to it as well. We'll turn you into a fine dragoon - and as soon as you get your dragon, you'll never be able to imagine your life without it."[/say]

He settles into a more comfortable pace, and soon enough the barracks are upon them. Ronin slips in through the gates, waving a hand at the grounds and all the things Seren will become familiar with in due time. [say]"It's too dark to give you a real tour, so for now we'll just get you a place to stay."[/say]

RE: brand new start - Seren - 05-02-2021

[say]"A baron?"[/say] Tasting the uncommon word on her tongue, Seren found it wasn't half bad. [say]"When was that? Is it like a governor?"[/say] There was a weight of pomp to the title that seemed very fitting. Reaching up to poke at his wriggling brood lines, she added, [say]"Why did you quit being baron?"[/say]

Once they reached their destination, Seren wriggled free and slipped down to walk the rest of the way on her own feet, bare as they were. For a moment she paused and merely stood there, turning slowly on the spot while absorbing the sights. The dragon statue loomed like a dark shadow high overhead, barely visible from this close, and the buildings were dark. Only the occasional glow in a window suggested that someone was burning the midnight oil. It was still. Quiet, save for the occasional whisper of wind.

[say]"Home,"[/say] she tried slowly. The word and the night-darkened grounds did not fit well yet. Even so she tried to picture it. The courtyard full of milling bodies, the air thick with wings of every shade under the sun. Officers giving orders while soldiers rushed to obey. And she would be a part of it, with a Blue one on her shoulder.

She was smiling again when she hurried along to catch up with Ronin. [say]"Do I get my own room?"[/say] she asked, and skipped ahead to pull open the door for him.

RE: brand new start - Ronin - 05-05-2021

[say]"A baron,"[/say] Ronin echoes, chuckling to her. [say]"Not like a governor, no. It's a type of nobility - it was when I was in the world before Caido. Northaven, it was called. And I quit when I came here because I don't think they have barons in Caido. And even if they do, we can't just go around claiming to be something without any evidence, can we?"[/say] Well. That's not exactly true, but it's not really something he wants to encourage in his daughter. Ronin has tried to leave his lies behind, and he wants to instil that newfound honesty into his family.

It's not exactly home, but perhaps Seren will be able to find something similar in it, given enough time. Ronin lets her down and grins as she holds the door open for him, nodding his thanks as he steps inside. [say]"Yes,"[/say] he says gently, [say]"you'll get your own room."[/say] Why? Because she's his daughter and he says so. It's true that he's said Seren wouldn't be treated differently to any other soldier, and when it comes to training, that's true.

But she's still a young demigod only recently returned to the ground - Ronin isn't going to take a risk on that.

So in they go, and the Star steps away for a moment to a small office to the side of them, that he might have a word with the soldier within. And when he steps out again, it's with a small key. [say]"Here. You can have my old room."[/say]

RE: brand new start - Seren - 05-05-2021

There were problems with that statement, much as Seren could appreciate the sense behind it. Interested in his reasoning, she vented her thoughts on the subject. [say]"Will we stop being demigods if Mother never confirmed it to be so, and none would take our word for it? If it was a lie, then I agree it would be bad to keep pretending. But do you really have to deny yourself the title because strangers might get upset? If there is meaning in it for you, then you should just keep being a baron."[/say] Still vague on what a baron did, she watched her father for a reaction as they entered the building. Perhaps it was not important. Perhaps it never had been. But she hated the idea that this man might have suppressed some vital part of himself merely to blend in.

Brightening at the notion of inheriting something of his, even if just a temporary lodging, Seren went along down dark corridors in search for the room. She made an effort to be quiet, for the sake of weary dragoons sleeping beyond the doors they passed along the way, yet weighed impatiently back and forth until Ronin could get the door unlocked. Once inside, she looked around once, twice. And was a little... disappointed. It was a perfectly ordinary room. Small, utilitarian and barren of all personality. [say]"Was this really yours?"[/say] she asked, unable to quell the doubt. She had expected... well she didn't know. Some mark that screamed 'Ronin was here'.

RE: brand new start - Ronin - 05-06-2021

Ronin can't help but smile to his daughter at her reasoning, and he nods to her gently. [say]"That is a very good point,"[/say] he concedes. [say]"I suppose I was never a very good baron, though. I was a bit of a rogue, believe it or not."[/say] Right? Ronin? Never. Still, he musses her hair affectionately and considers that Seren must get her thoughtfulness from Safrin (gods know he'll get a nosebleed if he philosophises that much). So off they go down the corridors until they reach his old room, Ronin clicking open the door and handing Seren the key.

It's just as bland and utilitarian as he remembers, and a small smile twitches at the corners of his lips as he catches the tone of his daughter's voice. [say]"It absolutely was,"[/say] he assures her, pointing up at one of the beams overhead. [say]"See the marks in the wood? That's where Sugar used to hang out and make her nest. Pretty sure there are still a few charcoal smudges on the walls where I tried to sketch a few things."[/say]