Court of the Fallen
the worst that could happen - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: the worst that could happen (/showthread.php?tid=5436)

Pages: 1 2

the worst that could happen - Fiadh - 04-18-2021

Go play, Papa says, and that's code for I need a gods damned minute Fiadh, and so off she goes into the woods. They keep her safe, and they always bring her back to the wagon, so there's no fear in this already fearless child as she clambers around vines and over tree trunks, plucking flowers that she pokes into her hair and eating berries that are probably ok to eat. Who knows. Who cares?

But then up ahead, stuff's happening, and it's on all fours that Fiadh creeps forth to check it out. Looks like someone is building something, and she hopes it's not made out of the same wood that the trees are made from, because they won't be happy about it. A hanging snake pokes its tongue into her ear, and she giggles and swats it away, before clambering closer.

She doesn't know this yet, but the contraptions are meant to be catapaults. What will they fling? Little girls, if Fiadh has her way.

RE: the worst that could happen - Remi - 04-18-2021

It feels good to be working with his hands again. With little to no magic to assist with this, Remi has had to thoughtfully pack his supplies and ration out what he has with him. It's for this reason that Fiadh finds the catapult unsupervised; Remi needs a bit more rope than he thought and is currently on his way back from the Sidhe Village with some wrapped around one arm. There aren't many children around, especially near the outskirts of the Woods, and so Remi hasn't even thought to leave his contraption in a 'safe' arrangement.

Will Fiadh be the reason that Remi's catapults come with safety switches? Time will tell.

Muttering something under his breath—Remi talks to himself a fair bit...would it be less weird if he had a companion?—the alchemist's thoughts are entirely on how he'll aim the large device and what he and Ronin will have for dinner that evening.

RE: the worst that could happen - Fiadh - 04-18-2021

Is Fiadh already in the bucket of the catapault, where ammo is supposed to be? Yeah, she absolutely is. And she's taken quite a comfortable seat in it, in fact - it's obviously some sort of chariot, for being pulled around in - the young Attuned busying herself making long strings of daisy chains with a deftness that suggests a certain Wishing Wagon is already full of them. At the sound of a musical voice muttering to himself, her copper head pops up from the catapault bucket to see a familiar curly head striding into view.

[say]"Hallo Unca Remi!"[/say] she announces with a cheesy grin. [say]"Want to ride in my chariot? It'll cost you two snacks, or one piggyback ride."[/say] Doesn't matter if it's not her catapault. Doesn't matter if there's nothing to pull it once they're both riding in it. Fiadh drives a hard bargain, as Remi is about to discover.

Unprepared to hear anyone speaking to him, it's with a rather surprised flutter of his lashes that Remi surveys the foliage to see what spirit he's disturbed today. The sudden pop of orange hair has his mouth dropping open, not because he's unhappy to see Ianto's daughter, but because of where she's currently sitting. [say]"Hey Fiadh.."[/say] He replies in a voice that betrays how calm he's trying to be. It's as if he's trying to stalk up on an easily-startled creature that he approached the young attuned now.

[say]"Absolutely I want a ride..only, I think part of the chariot is broken. That's what I've brought the rope for."[/say] He replies, gesturing to the long coil looped over his arm. [say]"And we don't want to break it any further, right? So..what's the most careful you can get out of there, do you think?"[/say]

RE: the worst that could happen - Fiadh - 04-18-2021

Fiadh's smile instantly drops away to hear that the chariot is broken (boo), but if Remi has brought rope for fixing it, then she might still get her ride by the time the day is out. The fact that this is obviously his doesn't occur to her - he left it unattended, and by the laws of the woods, finders keepers, sir. [say]"What will the rope do to fix it?"[/say] she asks, draping her considerable daisy chain around her shoulders like a scarf and wiggling to get out of the catapault bucket.

[say]"I got it,"[/say] she tells him, but the Lullaby is about to learn that Fiadh's version of most careful is not at all that delicate. She wiggles herself right over the edge of the bucket, legs dangling, skirts mostly hitched up, before she lets go and hits the grass with a thump that would knock the breath out of most. [say]"Is it ok?"[/say] she asks of her chariot.

As she wriggles around, Remi can hear the different mechanisms and pulleys in the catapult begin to groan and whine in protest. As Fiadh gracelessly dismounts, one of the ropes snaps and the entire bucket flies up and into the air, landing with a crash in one of the nearby trees with enough force that it breaks a few boughs, Remi hisses in a breath that's as relieved as it is unhappy. [say]"That is what needs fixing."[/say] He says with a shaky smile as his mind re-plays what might have happened had Fiadh not gotten out in time.

[say]"But we can fix it. We just need to get that part back."[/say] Remi mutters, more to himself than Fiadh, as he stares up into the tree with a perplexed look. A manticore is too big to fly through such dense airspace, and as a hawk he hasn't the strength. Trying to figure out how he might fly up there as himself to pull it down, it doesn't occur to him at all that the freckled-face at his side might actually be able to do just as much harm as she can good, in this situation.

RE: the worst that could happen - Fiadh - 04-19-2021

[say]"Oooooooh!"[/say] Because of course that is the girl's reaction upon seeing her chariot fly. The crunching of the boughs does erase her bright grin somewhat, and she glances up at Remi with utmost seriousness as she scrambles back to her feet. [say]"The trees will not be happy about that,"[/say] she says, tromping up to stand beside him and gaze aaaaaaaall the way up into the tree. [say]"Do we need to shake it down?"[/say] she wonders.

Because if that is the case, she can absolutely definitely help. [say]"I'll go,"[/say] she announces, beaming at him before promptly disappearing. Or rather, the ginger haired girl disappears. In her place sits a furry, masked little fiend, chittering up at Remi and raising up on her hind legs with outstretched, dark little fingers. Put me in the tree, then, the gesture seems to say.

RE: the worst that could happen - Remi - 04-21-2021

[say]"Mmmm..."{s/ay} Remi hums thoughtfully under his breath, his tongue pressed against the roof of his mouth as he stares up into the trees. Hopefully, they'd forgive him for this, if only because it was done in an attempt to offer better protection to the Woods as a whole. If not? Well, he'd been beaten by the trees before.

Opening his mouth as he looks down, prepared to tell her that no, that wouldn't be necessary, Remi is rendered entirely speechless. Given how Ianto was forced to become a shapechanger at such a young age, the very last thing he expected of the merchant's daughter was this ability so soon. [say]I can talk to you still, you know.[/say] The alchemist points out, reaching down to pick up the small creature.

[say]Did you know I used to be able to shift into a raccoon as well? It was one of my favourites.[/say] He explains, his mental voice matching the grin on his lips.

RE: the worst that could happen - Fiadh - 04-21-2021

It's with a delighted chitter that Fiadh is plucked up into Remi's arms - it's both a result of the act of being picked up, and also the fact that she can hear him inside her head. [say]You can? I didn't know you were 'Tuned, Unca Remi![/say] As a raccoon kit, Fiadh is about 90% fluff, and the rest is just grabby hands, and she's already trying to clamber up onto his shoulders so she can play with his hair better reach the branches of the tree.

[say]You did? What happened? Did you lose it somewhere? I can help you find it if you like.[/say] A fuzzy brush of a tail tries to wrap around Remi's face, Fiadh working on climbing onto his head now. [say]Papa says we should always try to help people find the things they lost.[/say]

RE: the worst that could happen - Remi - 04-21-2021

[say]Of course. Remember when I told you before that I had big teeth like a landshark?[/say] Remi grins, snapping his teeth at her and revealing that they are quite sharp and jagged all of a sudden. Allowing whatever escapades she likes, the alchemist can't help but smirk as he feels tiny hands tugging in his curls; she weighs almost nothing though, and Remi has to actively pay attention to make sure he doesn't lose her.

[say]Sort of. I...had to trade it back.[/say] Remi explains with a shrug, before his lips are covered by a tail (not that it matters for their current method of communication). Puffing out a breath and giving his head a playful shake, Remi can't help but laugh under his breath. [say]Oh I'm sure. But always for a price, yes?[/say] He wonders, stepping toward one of the trees and standing on his toes that Fiadh might more easily reach the boughs overhead.

RE: the worst that could happen - Fiadh - 04-23-2021

A little mewing sound escapes Fiadh at the sight of the jagged (assumedly land shark) teeth, and her tail flails further around his face along with her attempts to get comfortable in his nest of curls. [say]I thought maybe you just had pointy big teeth,[/say] she admits. [say]Papa says it's not nice to point out that kind of stuff about people, so I stopped.[/say] It's with a giggle that's entirely inside the alchemist's head that Fiadh flails to stop from toppling, and when Remi approaches one of the lower boughs, she's already scrabbling and clambering up into the tree.

[say]Trade it back...? For what?[/say] she wonders. [say]And oh yes - always for a price. Papa says nothing comes for free, not even stuff like telling someone the time of day.[/say] Her voice remains just as clear, but the raccoon kit has already disappeared into the boughs. [say]What am I looking for again, Unca Remi?[/say]

RE: the worst that could happen - Remi - 04-23-2021

[say]Well, you can always point it out with me. I do not mind.[/say] Interesting the things he and Ianto were teaching their children.

[say]For all the other things I can do now.[/say] The alchemist replies with a shrug. [say]I can have my soul leave my body, I can fly, I can play around in dreams...but I do miss being a raccoon.[/say] And honestly? For all that Remi could do now, it was true that he missed some of the simpler and more mundane aspects of who he once was.

[say]The bucket/[/say] Remi replies patiently as the raccoon kit scrambles into the tree. [say]The thing you were sitting in before. Without it, your chariot will have no seats. All you need to do is shove it down. I can catch it.[/say]

RE: the worst that could happen - Fiadh - 04-24-2021

[say]Oh,[/say] says Fiadh, as if it's strange to have permission from someone to point out their flaws and other obvious things like that, [say]well, alright. And I would miss being a raccoon too. It's better than playing around in dreams - I can already do that.[/say] Though her mental voice remains clear as a bell, the fuzzball is rapidly disappearing into the upper boughs of the tree, where the bucket quite obviously rests.

[say]How can I shove it down? It's big and I am little,[/say] she reminds Remi, though there's nothing that suggests Fiadh certainly won't try. Indeed, once she gets high enough, she shifts back into herself and starts inching out along the branches to push at the bucket she'd been riding in. [say]"Like this?"[/say]

RE: the worst that could happen - Remi - 04-24-2021

Remi grins, seeing absolutely no point in arguing with the young raccoon. Perhaps one day he'd slip into her dreams and let her see the extent of what she could truly do, but something told him that if he mentioned it now, all hopes of repairing the catapult would be lost.

The boughs of the trees creak and grumble, and though they are likely more on Fiadh's side than they ever will be on his, still they dislike having a foreign object lodged against them. [say]"Err—"[/say] Remi unhelpfully begins, but already the canopy of leaves above have started to shake, showing no indication that they are inclined at all to protect either Remi's invention or Fiadh.

Confident he could catch the basket well enough, now Remi's mind is forced to determine if he can catch them both basket and child, and if so how.