Court of the Fallen
{SE} take a break - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: {SE} take a break (/showthread.php?tid=5496)

Pages: 1 2

{SE} take a break - Nathaniel - 05-03-2021

There weren't a lot of days that Nathaniel had time off. Even then, time off wasn't really time off. Not when you had a kid brother to take care of and a house to maintain. Nathaniel means to make the most of the warmer weather that came with the start of Longheat. He's stripped down to just his trousers and boots, running through drills with Valvynn. He wants a break. A proper one. He needs to blow off some steam. This will have to do for now. Nathaniel lets out a sharp whistle and Valvynn dives towards the ground in front of him where he's currently sprinting towards a training dummy. He pulls a throwing knife from his belt, throwing it smoothly and landing it in the dummy's chest as his dragon lets out a burst of cold, freezing the dagger in place.

He slips under one of the obstacles, hissing at the sting of sand against his bare skin, skidding to a stop and grabbing onto Valvynn's tail, using it to pull himself up as she darts past him on powerful wings. The rope wall is next and he careens towards it, grabbing onto the rope with the intention of pulling himself up to the top. He scrabbles, muscles screaming in protest at being pushed so hard, but he makes it to the top before collapsing onto his back. His chest heaves, gleaming with sweat as he runs a hand through his damp hair, skin slightly pink from the sun. He's unaware of any eyes that might be on him as Valvynn circles above him before coming to rest beside him.

RE: {SE} take a break - Eryx - 05-03-2021

Eryx and Lyra were still getting used to one another. They had only very recently bonded and Eryx was getting the hang of both communicating with her as well as working together as a team. He was relieved that he was officially no longer just a 'trainee' among the dragoons. He had only been in Caido for about six months and he had worked hard to get where he was now.

It was a gorgeously warm day and Eryx had a night shift tonight, leaving him free during the day. He supposed he should be sleeping but that now that Longheat was finally here he couldn't help but want to be outside and enjoying it. He wore a sleeveless grey shirt and the bottom half of his uniform. Lyra was flying in lazy circles above him as he strolled near a training area.

His gaze was immediately drawn to the blonde man and his dragon as they worked so seamlessly together through the obstacles. Eryx hoped that he and Lyra would be at least half as good as that together one day. By the time the man reached the top of the rope wall, Eryx could see little more than the edge of his shoe near the edge. With a grin Eryx clapped his hands together in applause for the team.

[say]"That's quite impressive,"[/say] he called up to the man and his dragon.

RE: {SE} take a break - Nathaniel - 05-03-2021

It wasn't surprising that there was someone else in the training yard. There normally always was. What Nathaniel wasn't expecting was the sudden sound of slow applause to reach him where he was catching his breath at the top of the rope wall. He pushed himself up, arms protesting being used after already suffering the abuse of rigorous training. Piercing blue eyes squinted in the sun, honing in on the individual who was praising his performance. He couldn't see him all that clearly from up here, but he was fairly certain he hadn't run into this particular recruit before. A smirk curled on his lips, [say]"You think so? Didn't think anyone here was so easily impressed."[/say] He called back before he was turning to start his descent down the wall.

Boots landed on the packed earth with a small cloud of dust and he turned to face the other man as he raised a hand to brush sand off of his bare chest. Valvynn swooped down from her perch on the wall, instantly going for the other dragon, trilling playfully as she let out a burst of icy air in greeting. The larger icy white dragon circled her new acquaintance with the hope of baiting them into playing. Nathaniel moved towards Eryx with long strides, coming to a stop a few feet away from him. He let his eyes roam from the top of his head to his feet before sliding back up again. [say]"You're one of the new recruits, right? Just got your dragon?"[/say]

Eryx chuckled and shrugged his shoulders. Maybe he was easily impressed. He hadn't been here all that long and had only really dealt with other trainees. He didn't often to see some of the more experienced dragoons in action, though each time he had he had felt the same. What they could do was amazing, far more impressive than any solider he had ever seen at home. [say]"Maybe you just don't see how impressive you actually are,"[/say] he tossed back with a grin as the man landed back on the earth.

Lyra kept a close eye on the other dragon, gauging her intentions. Once it was clear that the other dragon wanted to play then Lyra was all in. Eryx chuckled again as he watched them, Lyra swooping around Valvynn with speed and eagerness, trilling and spinning playfully. [say]"She has a lot of energy,"[/say] he said with a grin as he retuned his gaze Nathaniel when he started to walk towards him.

Now that he had a better look at the taller man he was definitely drawn in by him. The way that Nathaniel looked him and down only pulled Eryx in more. Damn. He blinked a couple of times when the man spoke. [say]"Uh, ya,"[/say] he said, finding his voice again. [say]"I'm Eryx. This is Lyra,"[/say] he said, motioning to the shiny obsidian scaled dragon.

A dark brow arched as Eryx shrugged. Nathaniel wasn't above taking a compliment. He loved them. The following comment was a little unexpected, earning the younger man a grin as he crossed his arms over his chest. [say]"Maybe I don't. You could always keep telling me."[/say] Nathaniel shot back, tossing Eryx a wink after he finished sizing him up. The guy was handsome in that 'trying to be, but trying not to look like I'm trying way'. Even though Nathaniel would argue that he'd look good even if he wasn't really trying. For a moment the new dragoon is distracted by the dragons flying overhead, seeming to make sure that Valvynn wasn't going to try anything more than her attempts to play.

His own eyes flicked up, making sure his own companion isn't playing too rough before he turned his attention back to Eryx. [say]"It never seems to stop. Don't know how she can manage still wanting to play after all the training."[/say] That's a lie. He absolutely did know. It's the same way he managed it. Give him the proper motivation, like a cute new recruit, and he'd rally for just about anything. Especially when said recruit looked a little star struck. Adorable.

His grin morphed into a smirk, chin tilting up as Eryx fumbled only for a minute. Nathaniel needed a break and this seemed like a good of a time as any to take one. [say]"Nathaniel."[/say] He offered his own name back before nodding his head towards his own dragon, [say]"That's Valvynn."[/say] Acknowledging that she was being spoken about, Valvynn swooped down, offering Eryx a chilled blast of hair that had tiny ice crystals forming on the tips of his hair before melting under the sun moments later. [say]"You coming out for training or..?"[/say]

One thing that he was still not entirely used to was the idea that being attracted to someone other the opposite was not looked down on or criminalized here. Eryx was attracted to men, he had learned that about himself pretty early on but had kept it a secret for a long time. He managed a couple of secret affairs as he got older but it was when he was discovered that his own parents had cast him out, literally into another world, because they were so ashamed and infuriated with him for just being who he was.

So Nathaniel's wink and the way he had so easily checked him out was all new to Eryx. He was used to more subtleties when it came to same sex attraction. He wondered if he'd ever get used to it or if his years of burying it would forever effect him.

Eryx automatically ducked his head as the dragon swooped closer to him and laughed as he felt the chilled air blown down on him. He reached up to feel the small, hard ice crystals on his hair and watched as she flew back up into the air. [say]"Nice to meet you too,"[/say] he said to the dragon with a grin. Lyra collided with the other dragon in the air in a playful tackle.

His attention turned back to the gorgeous man in front of him. [say]"Actually no, I was just taking a walk to enjoy the day. I have a shift tonight and probably should be sleeping but who could resist such a perfect day?"[/say]

Sometimes it was easy for Nathaniel to forget that places outside of Caido weren't as accepting when it came to what you were into. Which is why he didn't think about how his wink or blatant ogling would be out of the norm. A grin spread across his face as Eryx laughed at Valvynn's antics before she was swept back up into play with Lyra. The other dragon tackled her midair and she let out a trill, grabbing onto her to take them into a spin. They were distracting enough that Nathaniel almost didn't hear the other man speaking at first.

Bright eyes dart back to Eryx, [say]"It is pretty nice out. Can't really argue with you about that."[/say] He replied smoothly, reaching up to brush a bit more sand off of his skin now that the sweat had dried a bit. Where did he put his shirt again? He honestly can't even remember. [say]"I was just about to take a break if you wanted some company. Could get a drink?"[/say] The invitation was innocent enough. Drinks didn't mean anything here. Just a bit of hanging out. What was the harm in that?

Besides, he wanted the new recruit to feel welcome. That was part of his job. (It absolutely isn't his job, but he's making it his job this time, thank you very much.) He let out a sharp whistle and the dragon untangled herself from her new buddy to find his discarded shirt, snatching it from where he left it and dropping it into his hand a moment later. Nathaniel tugged it on, covering his well muscled chest before running a hand through his hair.

RE: {SE} take a break - Eryx - 05-05-2021

As Nathaniel moved to brush the sand off him, the action drew Eryx's gaze down to the man's exposed torso. It was his turn to ogle and his gaze drank in the site of the gorgeous solider with the muscles to go right along with that job description. Heat raced through Eryx's vein. What a beautiful specimen of a man he was.

He lifted his chin to meet Nathaniel's again when the man spoke, blue on blue eyes meeting. Eryx lips lifted into his crooked smile, small crinkles showing beside his eyes. [say]"A drink sounds great,"[/say] he replied.

His attention was drawn back to the dragons as the solider whistled to Valvynn and Lyra caught herself from the playful entanglement and landed on the ground beside Eryx's feet and Nathaniel's shirt was, unfortunately, returned to him. [say]"Do you have a favorite place?"[/say] he asked.

RE: {SE} take a break - Nathaniel - 05-05-2021

Nathaniel didn't miss the look Eryx gave him. His eyes following his hands as he brushed the sand from his skin. He maybe made a little show of it, flexing a bit more than he needed to before he was covering up his torso from view with his shirt. The way his eyes crinkled up with his crooked smile was pretty cute too. Nathaniel returned his smile with one of him own, flashing his teeth as he rolled his shoulders. [say]"Perfect. A drink then. Come on, newbie."[/say] He drawled, slinging his arm over the other man's shoulders casually, leading them off of the training grounds and towards the gate.

[say]"I've got a place in mind."[/say] Nathaniel hummed and Valvynn landed beside them, trotting alongside Lyra as they left the nest and exited into the main thoroughfare. He kept his arm slung around Eryx with the guise of leading him towards his typical watering ground. Not that he really needed to, but he was looking for an excuse to touch him. Mostly because it's been a hot minute since he's done anything like this. Training was brutal and free tine was limited. [say]"How long ya' been in Caido then? Pretty new, right?"[/say]

Newbie. In another context he might be annoyed by the nickname but hey, it was true. Both as a member of the dragoons and as a citizen of Caido. Also, it didn’t really sound so bad when it was coming out of Nathaniel’s pretty mouth. He could call him whatever he wanted to.

This thought was even more solidified when the man draped his arm over his shoulders and he was overwhelmed by the heat of his skin from his previous activity. How did someone who had just been working out smell so intoxicating? Eryx had to force himself to keep his head together.

Lyra hopped playfully along, bouncing as if she were rabbit. It was a good distraction from his increasingly foggy mind and he chuckled as he watched her.

[say] “Ya, pretty new. I’ve only been here for six months actually,”[/say] he replied. He wasn’t really sure what to do with his hands and he felt his knuckles brushing against Nathaniel’s pants as they walked.

RE: {SE} take a break - Nathaniel - 05-05-2021

The other dragoon walked leisurely. A laziness to his gate now that he wasn't pushing himself to move like he was before. Clearly Eryx was going to have to try hard to keep his thoughts together if he was about to spend a ten minute walk with Nathaniel's arm slung over his shoulders.

Valvynn's head cocked to the side curiously, watching as the other dragon bunny hopped beside the two dragoons, hesitating only a moment before she was mimicking the action. It pulled Nathaniel's attention and her huffed a quiet laugh, shaking his head at the two dragons as they continued to play whatever little game they made up.

[say]"An Outlander.. Well, well, well.. You are a bit green."[/say] He teased, turning his head to smirk down at the other man, tossing him a wink just to watch his cheeks flush. It was clear Eryx was trying hard not to fidget, but that didn't deter Nathaniel. If anything that only spurred him on. [say]"Assuming you haven't left Stormbreak yet? We'll have to change that. We're getting a skyship route established with Torchline. Should check it out. 'specially during Longnight. Talk about a fucking party."[/say]

He turned them down a little side street, eyes flitting between each storefront as he kept on the familiar path to the bar he was looking for. All the while, his arm stayed over his shoulders as they meandered towards their destination.

This was cool. Eryx could be cool and act normal. He was even doing a decent job of it even with the delighted racing of his heart. He was already feeling feeling quite glad of his decision to not stay home and rest this afternoon. This was clearly the superior choice even if he’d end up a bit more tired than normal during his shift.

As they walked down the street he found himself observing the people around them. Back home two men walking down the street like this would have earned all sorts of stares varying from shocked to disapproval, even anger. However, here most people didn’t even seem to notice.

[say] “Good thing I look good in green,”[/say] he tossed back to the man with a smirk though as he caught Nathaniel‘s wink a pink hue instantly started to color his cheeks. He had to swallow before speaking again. [say] “It sounds amazing. I’m definitely eager to explore and have heard rumors of the skyships. And you’re right, I’ve never left Stormbreak. I guess I was lucky to find someone to take me in when I arrived so I didn’t just freeze to death.”[/say] he said with a shrug and a little chuckle. [say] “Have you travelled anywhere else?”[/say]

RE: {SE} take a break - Nathaniel - 05-07-2021

No one paid them any mind other than a cursory glance in their direction as they walked. Not a single one of them said anything or made a face. If anything they were too distracted by the dragons bouncing ahead of them to actually notice the men as they strolled down the street. This wasn't anything new for Nathaniel, but it might as well have been night and day for Eryx.

The dragoon glanced down at him, a grin curling on his lips as he dipped his head in acknowledgement. [say]"Oh I bet you do."[/say] He drawled, not having to try hard to imagine the other man in a dark shade of green and he had to agree with the statement. Of course, should he have a chance to actually see for himself he would likely take it.

A flush colored Eryx's cheeks and it only made Nathaniel's grin grow wider. He barely had to try to get the man to blush for him. The dragoon tucked that information for later. The flush on his cheeks had to be his new favorite thing. [say]"Got here in winter then. Yeah, it can be a little unforgiving."[/say] Nathaniel mused softly before he shook his head, [say]"Can't say I've done a lot or travelling. I have a little brother. Help my mom take care of him. Doesn't leave a lot of room to just take off. Not when I have to keep him out of trouble."[/say]

He explained before his steps slowed as he neared a door, pushing it open to reveal a small pub nestled inside. It was nice and cozy inside. The interior wasn't over crowded with patrons and it quickly becomes clear that this is a hidden gem. He doesn't remove his arm from around the man's shoulders until they reach a table, both of them sliding into opposite booths. [say]"Maybe we can go together sometime. Once you get a bit more settled."[/say]

RE: {SE} take a break - Eryx - 05-07-2021

Eryx liked the sound of the man's voice, especially when he was complimenting him like that. He suddenly wanted to prove that he looked good in green, or blue or black or any color. Okay, not any color. I mean, it's a rare person who can actually good in bright orange and he definitely didn't have the right complexion for that.

He got a little peak into the man's life when he mentioned his family. He didn't mention a father so Eryx had to assume that something had happened to him. He didn't know whether he was deceased or had left or something but it seemed a safe assumption that he was no longer in the picture. Eryx's heart ached a little as he mentioned his brother. Eryx had been kicked from his home, from his whole life. He wouldn't know how to get back even if he wanted to. And he didn't want to really. Except he had left behind a brother and a sister and he did miss them terribly. [say]"How old is your brother?"[/say] he asked.

They stepped into the little pub and Eryx smiled as he looked around. It was a cozy little place and he nodded in approval. This seemed the perfect spot to spend some more time with this gorgeous man without too much to distraction to get in the way. He felt a little chill on his skin as Nathaniel finally removed his arm. Eryx missed it already but quickly mentally berated himself for thinking such a thing. He sat down and smiled that crooked grin. [say]"Ya, I'd love that,"[/say] he said, a thrum of excitement in his words at the idea. [say]"I could use some guidance from someone who actually knows Caido more than I do. Would I be wrong in assuming you were born here?"[/say] he asked.