Court of the Fallen
[Training] woke up to all white - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: [Training] woke up to all white (/showthread.php?tid=5633)

Pages: 1 2

woke up to all white - Deimos - 05-26-2021

Best to remain amongst his responsibilities while he still had them, the beast ventured out, beyond the city gates, beyond the Citadel’s walls, presuming Sah was behind him. Too distracted to be truly contained, especially in Halo’s clutches and the barracks, the beast intended to settle himself amidst the endless fields of ivory – blinding, beseeching, wide open plains that could handle an incoming barrage. Better suited to applications and exercises from the inexperienced and veteran magic users alike.

Upon finding a decent spot, far enough that the landscape of the buildings were still visible but not at risk for his assault (the thought was instantly ironic, and he churned it back into his ribcage), and the Fangs were off in the expanse, he eventually turned to the younger man. [say]“This will be a good location for you to train.”[/say] No one for miles, save for a stray ningo too numb to wander back into the confines of a more hospitable venue. Nothing to mutilate and damage. And if he required a target at all, Deimos could simply create one. [say]“Have you been practicing?”[/say]

RE: woke up to all white - Sah - 05-26-2021

Sah followed Deimos into the tundra, his eyes on their surroundings. The white expanse was beautiful, and the sun's reflection off of the snow was almost blinding at times. Sah loved it out here. He had been pleasantly surprised when Deimos had agreed to train with him, the canine wanting further instruction on his magic.

As the stopped, Sah glanced around briefly. The isolated area did seem ideal. Particularly with his low level of control. "Sounds good. I have been practicing. My control is improving steadily but I still struggle with it. At this point I can generally do what I set out to do. But the finesse is seriously lacking and there's generally excess collateral." He briefed the General on his progress concisely. "Lightning is easier for me then my telekinesis as well. Likely due to my last life or simply because I've had it longer in this one."Sah added in summary.

RE: woke up to all white - Deimos - 05-27-2021

Control was one of the few things Deimos completely understood. The need, the drive, the compulsion for it, and the distinct feeling of it gathered in between veins, flesh, and bone – or none at all, ever-fleeting and vacant. Something he’d strived for in life, to catch composure in all its forms amongst his teeth and never let go; but even his locked jaw scraped away granules every once in a while, and the semblances thereafter could be just as extreme, deadly, and lethal.

Like burning buildings simply out of rage, vengeance, and distaste.

His mind focused and adhered on Sah’s particulars, nodding at the notions. [say]“We can start with the telekinesis then,”[/say] since it seemed to be the weaker of the two. The lightning could come later, when he’d built up some stamina.

Thereafter, the Sword concocted a rock in his hands – earthen incantations binding fluidly, into lighter compactions of dirt, soil, and sod, then gently tossed it down at the snow, so that it landed in front of Sah’s feet. [say]“Lift it.”[/say] A test to see if he could, how far, and for how long. Simplistic to start.

RE: woke up to all white - Sah - 05-28-2021

Sah nodded, his expression one of determination and focus. Eyeing the rock with narrowed eyes, he tried to lock in on the object. Once he felt something, he made a small gesture with his hand upwards. The rock did not lift. Scoffing, Sah made a shooing motion at it out of annoyance. Instantly the rock began to slowly roll along the ground away from the two magic users. Sah's eyebrow raised as he watched incredulously as it inched along. He sighed, glancing at Deimos. "See? I wanted it to move, it moved. But not in the way that I wanted. I'm not sure.." He cut himself off, eyes snapping back to the small stone. A hawk flying by had seen the small rock moving, and mistaking it for a mouse, had swept down. Grasping the stone in its talons it flew away.

Sah had to blink for a few seconds, processing the turn of events. Lips twitching with amusement he turned to Deimos. "I stand corrected. It did lift." At that he broke into a small fit of laughter, the absurdity too much for him to remain composed.

RE: woke up to all white - Deimos - 05-29-2021

Eyes keen, examining, scrutinizing, watched the silent volley and persuasion between rock and mage. He presumed the latter would secure some semblance of victory over an inanimate object, but he’d been wrong before – waiting for something to occur, to happen. It was always difficult to surmise the level of control when working with weaker incantations, and so there was no surprise when the stone rolled rather than gained any access to the air. His mouth opened, parted, intending to disclose an inquiry, a question, when –

A hawk swooped down, and took the manifested device.

All he could do was blink rapidly, stupidly, staring over the suddenly empty space was a dumbfounded snort echoing through his lungs. Perhaps it was funny, and ultimately bizarre, shaking his head as everything seemed to settle back into place.

A flattened tone ambled over the reel of Sah’s laughter, another snort following. [say]“That does not count.”[/say] He concocted two more, and laid them along the ground once again; the second being a decoy in case another raptor thought the stones were appealing. [say]“What happens if you maintain all of your focus on it?” [/say]

RE: woke up to all white - Sah - 06-01-2021

Sah managed to get his giggles under control enough to listen to Deimos' next instruction. All of his focus? It was worth a shot. "Let's see." He then turned back to the new rocks. Focusing on one in particular, he narrowed his eyes. Focusing intensely on the small rock, he reached for his magic. Once he felt it, he tried to push it towards the rock. Feeling a small bead of sweat drip down his brow, Sah felt a small tug as if he'd grabbed the rock. It was almost like a phantom sensation in his hand. From there, he imagined it lifting into the air.

Sure enough, this time the rock steadily raised into the air. Letting out a steady exhale, Sah kept his focus and the rock continued to climb. It soon reached the 5ft mark. It hovered in the air for a few moments before dropping back down to the ground with a small thump. Sah blinked, shaking his head as he felt his magic snap back to him. He was mildly out of breath. "That was hard." Sah noted, but the grin on his face was triumphant.

RE: woke up to all white - Deimos - 06-01-2021

Patient, forbearing, and tolerant, the beast continued to merely exist as the General, for however long it was damned and due to last. His eyes caught the nuances, the subtle, slow rise of the rock, notching a half-smile in the corner of his mouth, as it finally came to fruition. The stone marched thereafter, until it seemed Sah’s limits had been stretched, dropping back upon the ground with no echo, no thud, nothing more than miniscule motions in the snow. [say]“Well done,”[/say] and he mustered a grin for the other man’s efforts too. [say]“It will grow less and less difficult the more you practice. Even for a few minutes at a time.”[/say]

There he paused, realizing the Abandoned would need time to recuperate his fortitude and endurance. [say]“Take a break,”[/say] either by walking, by breathing, or merely sitting upon the snow. The Sword presumed Sah could at least manage that on his own.

Meanwhile, Deimos set up proportions for the next iteration. Advancing only slightly, and pushing the decoy stone off to the side, the beast manifested a measure of water contortions – until they formed a puddle. Quickly, efficiently, the incantations drenched an impressive amount of snow, casting it drenched, soused, and melted; an upcoming conduit.

RE: woke up to all white - Sah - 06-02-2021

"Sounds good." Sah nodded, wiping his brow with the back of a hand. His heartbeat had already begun to return to its normal pace but he took Deimos' suggestion anyway. Sitting down in the snow, Sah rolled his shoulders. It seemed that he had the tendency to hold excess tension upon focusing his magic. That would have to be another thing to work on in the future. He hoped that with regular practice, his proficiency and efficiency of his magic use and application.

Taking the moment of calm provided, Sah observed Deimos' efforts. Brow furrowed with confusion until realization, it began to dawn on Sah what the man's end goal was. A means of conducting Sah's lightning it seemed.  Between the ice and the target being  a rock, at least there wouldn't be any concerns for stray electricity. After a few minutes and feeling refreshed enough to continue, Sah stood up and watched Deimos work more closely. He decided to pose his earlier questions. "What do you have in mind? Should I just strike it?" Sah wondered if there was any specific goal beyond hitting the rock that Deimos had planned.

RE: woke up to all white - Deimos - 06-02-2021

On another thought, the beast enhanced the rock’s proportions and size, extending its earthen wares so that there was significant more grounding, in case something went awry. He’d only ever been witness to Hotaru’s range – and she’d had incredible control over the snapping, sizzling bands and elements.

Sah’s inquiry was a fair one though, and he nodded. [say]“I want to see what you are capable of, before we go any further.”[/say] Into more fluid targets, into things maneuvering, into volleys and rallies of another kind of brutal, barbaric force. [say]“It will also give you something to use, if you cannot create the lightning all on your own yet.”[/say] No manifested clouds. No burgeoning, verging storms. He could recall brief moments of the other Abandoned’s capabilities during their capture the flag game, but that had been under close quarters. Here was far wider, far grander, far more beseeching for seeing what someone could truly accomplish.

He maneuvered back some paces, his own incantations surging beneath veins and pulsing beats, all in the potential of some chaotic lack of control – and nodded, giving Sah the go ahead to unleash.

RE: woke up to all white - Sah - 06-05-2021

Sah nodded, determination rising. Lightning was his element. The one that his original body had all but carried in his veins. And although his new form lacked the same strength and wild aptitude, there was still something. Crouching down and placing his hands at the edge of one of the puddles, Sah closed his eyes. Letting out a slow breath, he reached for his magic. He focused on the static energy on his clothes, on the bits of ice, pulling the dormant sparks from them. And like an old friend, stubborn but sure, the static electricity responded. And although the Abandoned could not create true lightning, the puddles were a good enough conductor for now.

And so, with a crackle, a surge of static electricity burst from where Sah's hands rested, surging from puddle to puddle, gaining strength as it shot forward.  Numerous stray sparks arced out, but never too far. And when the strike came, it hit the rock target with a sizzle. Leaving behind a scorch mark and a crack on the rock's surface. Sah grinned, pleased that at least some of his former power and control remained. And that his former aptitude seemed to be present in this body as well, at least to some degree. "Much better." He hummed, almost to himself.

RE: woke up to all white - Deimos - 06-06-2021

Patient and diligent, no matter rank or title, the Sword remained guarded and ready, a tilt of his head there, waiting to see what the Abandoned could manifest. To no surprise, Sah readily applied his advantage and experience into the threshold: a crackle, a spurring, a spurn of thunder and lightning, strayed and stayed, cultivating in waves of electrical wiring and haze. A sizzle, a crack, over the pool, along the rock, as if enticed and in earnest. His eyes went to the other man, and he smiled – pleased to see the other proud of himself. [say]“Good,”[/say] he unfurled in a low rumble, before moving forward.

[say]“You can hit an immobile target.”[/say] Which took some getting used to, considering the incantations were not up to their full potential – not yet, anyway. [say]“What about a moving one?”[/say] So while Sah could take a few breathers, moments of reflection or semblances of endurance, Deimos contorted and created. Small little figurines, targets of wooden adornments, meant to float along the surface of the water. Simplistic, given the nature of their task, but they were clearly contortions of a deer, a wolf, and a bear.

Then he stepped back, clearing the way for the Abandoned once more. [say]“See what you can do with these.”[/say] Thereafter, Deimos conjured his Air proportions, permitting them to be mildly unfurled, maneuvering the targets in the pool, slowly churning them along the veneer.

RE: woke up to all white - Sah - 06-06-2021

Sah's grin widened at the small praise, having not expected it. "Not as well, but I'll give it my best." He answered as he watched as Deimos created the small wooden animals for the next test. Sah's eyes were filled with wonder as he crouched down to watch the small floats. The detail was incredible and Sah felt slight regret at the idea of potentially destroying them. Regardless he knew that he needed practice with moving targets.

Stepping back into position when Deimos was done, Sah let out another steadying breath. Repeating the prior steps, he channeled static electricity into his hands. On the first attempt, he tried to strike the three targets at once with a branching strike. However the sparks that resulted were weak and fizzled out quickly. Narrowing his eyes, Sah set out hitting each target individually. Doing his best, he tried to time each strike with where the target would be next. With a slight crease forming in his brow, Sah started with the deer. Channeling the static electricity across the puddles, he sent it towards a spot just a few inches from the deer. As the lightning hit where he had judged, the deer moved into position just in time to receive a small scorch along it's flank.

Feeling more confident, Sah attempted the same technique with the wolf figure. However, this was the figure he least wanted to destroy. And his hesitation cost him as his lightning landed far to the right of the wolf's trajectory. Gritting his teeth, Sah shook out his hands to reset. Feeling ready once more, he set his eyes on the bear figure. Fueled by determination and frustration, Sah's lightning had more bite to it then his previous attempts. And so when he chose his targeted area, the predicted path of the bear, the lightning that followed arced wildly forward. Increased strength, far less control. Still the target was reached. The added power however resulted in the small bear figurine being thoroughly scorched. Large cracks were carved along numerous paths along its side.

Sah's brow raised at the damage. His eyes brimming with  satisfaction. He was about to comment on it when his eyes caught  sight once more of the second figurine. Undamaged and still floating, the little wooden canine pulled at Sah. Stepping forward he scooped up the wolf figurine and held it safely in his hands. Glancing up at Deimos, Sah smiled almost shyly. "Can I keep this?" He really liked the little wooden wolf.  "Please?"

RE: woke up to all white - Deimos - 06-07-2021

His implementations of the air contorted and coiled along the pool, like small dashes of wind, the stokings of a breeze – enough to ensure the floats moved in ripples and mercurial intervals. No precise patterns to give them away, to make the methods or fundamentals any easier. No humans or beasts maneuvered in the same way, and there was no sense in training Sahh in such a manner.

So while he immersed movements, he also watched the Abandoned at work. Concentration must’ve been at full tilt, with the way lightning fizzled and waned, strength escalating or declining, striving to find the perfected range. The deer received its scorchmarks, and then the bear, until finally he relinquished his threshold – not upon the wolf at all. Perhaps Deimos should have known.

He did manage a brief laugh, and the manifestations faded. [say]“You may.”[/say] The Sword maneuvered forward, the rallying of movements and incantations enough for today. [say]“You have control and power, but not at the same time. That should be your next goal.”[/say] An aspiration to tie and tether towards – an arch of his brow and nothing more. Thereafter, he took hold of the other figurines and placed them upon the ground and out of the pool, while his water enchantments froze the water back over, matching the rest of the landscape. As if it was never there to begin with; save for the rock still sequestered in the middle.

RE: woke up to all white - Sah - 06-07-2021

Sah grinned, pocketing the little wolf. "Thank you." The little figure was going on his fireplace, the best vantage place in the house. The former canine listened to Deimos's advice, nodding his head. Mastering simultaneous control and power. That was certainly a goal to strive for, one that would require further practice for sure. Hopefully Sah would be able to manage it before any serious conflict. His brows furrowed slightly at the thought. There wasn't much time.

Watching Deimos repair the area, Sah began to speak, his tone taking on a sudden seriousness. "You've met the old gods, right? What are they like?" Swallowing slightly, Sah gave some background to his unprompted inquiry. "With the war that's approaching, I'm finding myself divided. I have people I wish to protect among all the races. I'm loyal to none of the gods, old or new. I just want to protect the people I care about." He paused, eyes meeting Deimos'. "How can I do that if I have people on both fronts?" He then asked the question that had been plaguing his mind since the tension first began to peak. "And how is the elimination of the Ascended, which seems to be one of the goals of the old gods, anything but genocide?" His tone wasn't accusing or harsh, his words colored with solemnness and exhaustion. Sah hated this war and it hadn't even begun.