Court of the Fallen
[Training] more than the catastrophes too - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: [Training] more than the catastrophes too (/showthread.php?tid=5651)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: more than the catastrophes too - Deimos - 06-06-2021

A rise of his brows, and then a snort to follow through on the rest of the testimony. [say]“One more round then,”[/say] likely best surmised for both of them – he due to return repairing the target he’d decimated, and she to wander off into the distance once more. Practice and skirmishes, snippets of time, and then the persistence in normalcy. That she recognized her own limits was justifiable as well; too many soldiers yearned to angle themselves as unfathomable, ignoring the aches and pains that served as warning signs.

Blade back in his calloused grasp, home, the monolith nodded, resuming his own stance and pace. With the previous designations a test, to gauge her prowess, to analyze her parameters, the next could be a sequence of other measures and potential. This time he rushed forward, far swifter than a man of his size should be, not angling his blade at shoulders, torso, or navel, but towards her legs; to see how she deciphered, responded, and blocked from an awkward inclination.

RE: more than the catastrophes too - Aino - 06-06-2021

[say]"Awh, you spoil me,"[/say] Aino grinned, with a wink to offset the smarmy tone of her voice.

She met his charge with bold determination. A lesson had been learned well; she was hopelessly outclassed when it came to pure strength. That left speed, dexterity and technique to be tested, and Aino looked forward to testing her mettle against this beast of a man. Whoever sacked him was a fool; he clearly earned his title in every way that mattered, and it would be Halo's loss if he wound up leaving for better opportunities.

Taking her sword in both hands, she deflected his sweeping cut to her legs with the flat of her blade. Having dipped the tip vertical to the ground in doing so, she followed up on the move by slashing the edge upward in a swift motion, with the intent of carving the inside of his sword-hand. A move that might take a hand off, or sever tendons in actual combat; though the best she would achieve here was a bruise.

Yes, let's aim for bruises. Actually, let's settle for landing a blow at all; Aino would indulge in a drink if she made her way past Deimos' guard even once.

RE: more than the catastrophes too - Deimos - 06-07-2021

Eyes caught the sweeping measures and the monolith grinned; narrowing speculations down to finer points and techniques. In response, he dipped his blade downward, arm following through, so that her blow merely hit air, but it’d been close. For that, she earned another passing smile, pleased with the performance and round of military might. He’d offer some other passing comment, but saved it for later – there were too many other calculations angling through that battle-hardened mind.

He shifted, maneuvering to the right, and angled the sword towards her torso this time; as if it were a passing swipe. If this had been the dais of war, it’d be intentionally plunged towards a ribcage, a bone, or one of the many precious organs protected by those measures – for now, it was to simply see how she’d defend and block.

RE: more than the catastrophes too - Aino - 06-11-2021

It was an awkward position she had landed herself in. Her own blade sweeping upwards, body leaning forward while a sword was hurtling towards her gut. Options, what were her options? There was no time to think. Pushing herself backwards with all her strength to just barely avoid the tip of Deimos' blade, Aino reversed the position of her hands so that the blade pointed straight up.

And with every inch of momentum she had - it was not much, her body was traveling backwards and the footing was poor - she brought the sword down, aiming to cut at the former general's shoulder from above, where neck met torso. Even had the swords been truly sharp and this a battlefield, the blow would be weak - but it was the best she could manage. Giving up never even occurred to the woman.

RE: more than the catastrophes too - Deimos - 06-11-2021

The Sword watched with his same calculating demeanor, taking in the brief movements, the blade coming upright, then twisting and turning back towards him. It was an intriguing maneuver, something that seemed like a last-ditch effort (understandable; sometimes battlefield ruminations could only be just that), and he didn’t mind that his siege didn’t come to fruition. It was about the motions, the sagacity, the knowledge, rather than any menace or malice.

At her intentions to cut and slash at his shoulder, however, the beast pivoted. It was just enough to send her blade into the air, brushing at nothing, barely missing the depths of his muscled arm. He’d be curious to see how that rush of momentum would bring her forward; if it escalated issues. If it prevented defenses. From there, he raised his blade, intending to tap its bombardments at her back.

RE: more than the catastrophes too - Aino - 06-12-2021

Muscles were beginning to strain, and while she was not out of breath, it certainly came quicker as her pulse was brought up. It had been some time since Aino had sparred at this level, and she reveled in it.

Preferably she would have liked to withdraw here, to regroup and regain her balance. But Deimos was relentless, and even as he avoided her blade he unleashed a new attack. Aiming for her back this time.

She did her best to follow along, to turn as he turned, but in her awkward stance it was simply not fast enough. She felt the edge of the blade clip the muscles of her side, and the blade she had begun to twist into another form was immediately lowered in defeat.

[say]"Looks like I aint getting any drinks tonight,"[/say] she sighed with a roll of the eyes. [say]"Your win, blademaster."[/say] Again. But though it clearly wasn't unimortant to win, Aino still smiled at him. Unable to resent someone who was so clearly proficient in their craft.

RE: more than the catastrophes too - Deimos - 06-12-2021

Opportunities taken where they could was another lesson for everyone involved and anyone watching; how to guard, how to block, how to defend one’s self at every opportunity, and how to whittle away an opponent with expertise, rather than blindly stoking ambition and hoping for the best.

She lowered her blade, but Deimos thought it should be in anything but defeat. Not with those abilities. He stayed his weapon, nodding his head at her indication, and then placed it back within its hilt. [say]“Given that demonstration, I would say you are still worthy of drinks.”[/say] A slight smile, edging along the corners of his mouth, revealed he’s enjoyed the skirmish too. It’d been a long while since anyone, save for Aisha or Morgan, had come at him with proper prowess. [say]“Your family cannot spare you portions of the day to serve the Shields? With your expertise and skills?”[/say] Old habit and routine dying hard, considering he was no longer leading them.

RE: more than the catastrophes too - Aino - 06-17-2021

A little out of breath, very warm and decidedly happy over the praise - for all that she didn't do compliments, they were nice to receive - Aino grinned faintly at Deimos. It had been a while since anyone defeated her so soundly, and it was quite refreshing in a way. The sword had been the only thing in her life that she truly excelled at.

[say]"It's on you then,"[/say] she teased with a wink. [say]"I wish, truly. But it would be difficult. Me mum can't walk, see, and the family business doesn't do so well that I can afford to look away from it. More to feed than her or me, if you understand."[/say] A brother and his children, herself, her mother, and never enough hands to go around. But the flash of longing suggested that Aino would take up the offer in a heartbeat, should the burdens on her relatives ease up even a little.

[say]"Wouldn't mind crossing swords again if there's a moment to spare, though,"[/say] she added, in as unpresuptious a hope as she could manage.

RE: more than the catastrophes too - Deimos - 06-17-2021

A quirk of his brow, and the lightest of laughs, maybe a soft snort, indicated some rationale of amusements behind all the mistakes, blunders, and consequences of late – rolling his shoulders, then maneuvering back to where he’d left the destroyed dummy. [say]“What is your preference?”[/say] Absentminded again for a moment, he began to pick up the pieces he’d rendered earlier, deciding to refurbish and stitch back together, needle and thread appearing in his hands within an instant.

As for why she couldn’t lend her aid, time, or machinations to the Shields, his head tilted, and a flood of memories at her mother not being able to walk. Times of demolished festivals, engagements, and fallen Temples; a stretch of seasons that seemed to slide directly into torture, torment, and a great many other emotions he had no intention of revisiting. Well aware it wasn’t any of his business, that it was some manner of prying, his head still tilted while he worked, attention meandering back to Aino for half a second. [say]“Can she not be healed?”[/say] Maybe it was too far gone. Maybe others didn’t have his emboldened gall to ask the heralds for assistance. Maybe it wasn’t capable of being mended. Not everything could be solved in such a way; which even he, an individual always striving to fix, to mend, to decipher, could admit to.

At the admittance though, he agreed. [say]“Of course.”[/say] Anything to keep himself, and other Halo inhabitants, on their toes.

RE: more than the catastrophes too - Aino - 06-19-2021

[say]"Anything liquid that's stronger than piss,"[/say] she shrugged with a grin. Putting away her sword, Aino came over and without prompting began to help with picking up the pieces of the thrashed dummy. The needle appearing in the man's hand made her raise a brow, but no more; magic was hardly a thing worthy of surprise. Only that he was capable of it.

[say]"We were told that it could, when it happened,"[/say] Aino explained. [say]"But the one healer around here strong enough to manage it disappeared - that Launceleyn, I forget his name. Now the injury is too old for most to manage - the injury would have to be broken up again, and that would kill her."[/say] Which obviously was not an option.

Aino flashed the former general a tight grin at the promise of more spars, pleased with his compliance. [say]"Where did you learn to fight like that?"[/say] she asked. There were experience behind every blow that you just couldn't get on the training field. Even the skirmishes against cannibals and cultists did not hone a craft to this extent - as proven here today.

RE: more than the catastrophes too - Deimos - 06-19-2021

Stitching up the seams, and bowing his head when she granted him several more broken, fallen chunks, he managed to conjure a light, muffled laugh that didn’t echo or resound. The beast paused in his ministrations to take a moment and extend what he’d offered – gilded filaments appeared in his palm, and eventually too, a glass and liquid that was probably beer. [say]“Should taste slightly better,”[/say] he extended with a wry grin, before alleviating it from his grasp, and continuing with putting the figure back together again.

His brows furrowed faintly at Aino’s response, the needle poking out of his mouth for a moment while he tied and knotted together some strings, then pulled it back out when he needed it again. An injury incapable of being mended, save for breaking and fracturing filaments apart once more, and clearly not worth the trouble. Loren – capable but gone, disappeared; who knew what he was up to now, after the sickness debacle of last year. [say]“My unicorn, Zuriel, is proficient at healing, but perhaps not to that extent.”[/say] An offer, nonetheless, if anything else was damaged and forlorn. Another detail and matter was all the more worrying in the back of his mind too – the lack of proper menders in a world as dangerous as theirs. He stored the munitions for later, listening, tilting his head, sewing.

The Sword missed the grin, but not the inquiry. Lifting a brow, he wove around the effigy, tightening a few places where the arms sagged. [say]“I am an Outlander. Isilme, where I was born.”[/say] Then Helovia, and the battles that ensued consistently in between. [say]“War teaches you many things,”[/say] was a solemn afterthought, as his eyes narrowed in study at the half-dangling legs.

The glass of spirits conjured out of thin air and arcana made Aino laugh. Accepting it, she raised the glass at Deimos in a toast, before knocking it back in one. It was better, much better in fact, and even accustomed to the searing liquids Halo managed to produce she had to take a moment as the burn made her eyes water.

[say]"You, my good man, are taking all the fun out of this,"[/say] Aino pointed out when she was able to breathe again. Lipping the dregs from the rim, she looked around for somewhere to put the glass; then shrugged and pocketed it. [say]"Is there anything you can't make?"[/say]

Outlander or not, it felt like she was talking to a Halovian born and raised. A good sign, if she was a judge of character. [say]"Your Isilme must have been a restless place to live,"[/say] she acknowledged. [say]"Seems it didn't manager to rot your spirit though, and for that I'm grateful. If I can convince me mum, I might take you up on that offer. At this point, it can't hurt to at least try."[/say]

RE: more than the catastrophes too - Deimos - 06-19-2021

Artifacts of self-deprecating humor craved to be extended out into the ether on her statement – instead, a snort followed suit, taking it as a compliment. While he layered the stuffing he’d previously torn apart in his sullen rage back into some weak looking arms, he humored her, concentration looming on the effigy, rather than shifting or turning towards Aino. [say]“I have some limits.”[/say] Another boyish grin enacted and coiled for her question, grabbing hold of more wool, tilting his head and considering where to place it next. Perhaps the gut, where there were still several large holes he’d yet to stitch back together.

Maybe Isilme had been restless, but he missed it – tides that were his own, instead of the ones he was currently banned from. And the Basin too, mountains so old and familiar, the outlines completely different than the ones here. [say]"Sounds like Caido is bound to be the same."[/say]

Another light laugh hastened at his lack of a rotten spirit, more at his own expense. Mostly because there were days where he was a withered, decaying mess, or nefarious to the core. His piercing eyes slid back her way at the semblances of her mother though, pondering and wondering all the while. [say]“How does she get around now?”[/say]

[say]"If you say so,"[/say] she allowed, humor dancing about in icy eyes, drawing early crows-lines about their corners. [say]"I hope you're wrong, though. About Caido. What makes you say it's getting restless?"[/say] Not one to listen to rumors or whispers from gods or spirits, much of the talk on the streets was unheard by Aino.

As for her mother; the woman snorted a quiet laugh. [say]"She doesn't, most of the time. Prefers to sit on the bed and order me about, when I'm there. Only, when I come back I always find dishes to wash, knicknacks to pick up and food to distribute. How she drags herself around the house without legs I never know, but she does it."[/say]
Sitting back on her heels, to watch Deimos work, she allowed herself these quiet moments to forget about the heaping pile of chores still left to do. A few more minutes would not do any difference, and it had been a while since she talked to anyone new.
[say]"Every once in a while, she ropes my brother's kids into taking her on a sled around the village. Bribing them with treats to make them run - they nearly knocked over the blacksmith the other day as they came charging."[/say]

Long-suffering and exasperated, the memory had her roll her eyes. Her mother. A real piece of work, nuisance to the whole town - and loved. So very, very loved.