Court of the Fallen
those moments in the woods - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: those moments in the woods (/showthread.php?tid=5684)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

those moments in the woods - Maeve - 06-07-2021

How had so many things happened since they last saw each other? Maeve left him at the edge of the Greatwood only a couple of days ago and in that time not only did she manage to commission a portrait and run into Seren, but she also found herself a dragon. It only took some torn up hands, a slightly numb arm, and a twisted ankle. Well worth it as far as she was concerned. Maeve moves as carefully as she can, trying to not tweak her ankle further, but she manages well enough. Aidon trills softly from his perch on her shoulder, pressing his snout against her cheek in an affectionate nuzzle, sending a feeling of reassurance along their newly formed bond. [say]"I'm okay, peu d'amour. Just have to take it a bit easy. Locke is going to have a field day when he sees me, I'll have you know."[/say]

Curiosity sparks at the edges of her consciousness at the name from Aidon and she can't help the smile that spreads on her lips, [say]"You'll meet him soon."[/say] Maeve reaches up with her free hand, rubbing gently under his chin with the tip, warm affection spreading through her chest. She adjusts her bag on her shoulder as she presses forward for another hour or so, finally growing closer to the edge of the woods where they were meant to meet, eyes scanning the tree line in search of the man that's meant to be waiting here for her. She spots him, legs splayed out and back against a tree, eyes seemingly closed as he relaxes in the dappled shade. [say]"Oi! Not safe to just sleep out in the open like that. Someone could take advantage of you!"[/say] Maeve calls out to him with a grin, lifting a bandaged hand to give him a small wave.

RE: those moments in the woods - Locke - 06-07-2021

Locke has gotten into a lot less trouble, which is surprising to say the least. A little of this, a little of that, the usual. They mostly came out here for Maeve related things, he just wanted to get some spices, fresh fruit, that kind of thing. Maybe see the Greatwood some. He'd never been here after all. And it was nice to be away from the insanity that's been Torchline lately.

He doesn't know how long he's been waiting, maybe an hour or two. They're in no hurry. He hears the crunch of her boots in the leaf litter but doesn't move. He's comfortable and if she's planning on killing him, she's doing a poor job of hiding herself. He doesn't even open his eyes when she calls out to him. [say]"Maybe I want someone to take advantage of poor lil' ol' me."[/say] His voice is gruff with sleep but he finally starts to move, taking great effort in doing so.

He groans, reaching his arms above his head before yawning and shaking himself slightly. His eyes finally flutter open and his expression changes rapidly. First excitement because Maeve! Then confusion because dragon? Then he starts laughing because dragon. Of course. [say]"Well if that's not a sign I wasn't meant to be a dragoon, I don't know what is. Fuck's sake."[/say] He pushes himself up and makes his way over to her. [say]"Whose this little friend?"[/say] A hand is stretched out to the little dragon, an offering.

RE: those moments in the woods - Maeve - 06-07-2021

A laugh bubbles up in her chest, eyes lighting up with mirth at his joke and Aidon lets out a little barking sound that might be a laugh too, it's hard to tell. [say]"We can talk about that if you're curious, but not without a safe word."[/say] She quips, slowing down a little more now that she's actually spotted him. Her ankle is throbbing from the walking she's been doing, but she continues to push forward, grateful when he stands to close the remaining distance between them. She watches as his expression shifts from excitement to seeing her to confusion and then finally an amused grin that curls on his lips. [say]"I'm just as surprised as you are, to tell the truth."[/say] Maeve informs him, finally coming to a stop, panting only a little as she reaches up to push a stray curl from her face.

There is a mix of trepidation and curiosity that skitters along the bond between them as Lock approaches, trying to figure out for himself if this is friend or foe, but feeling no fear or concern from Maeve the little dragon relaxes. He cranes his neck, nostrils twitching as he sniffs at Lockes hand, trilling quietly in greeting. [say]"His name is Aidon. I think he's only a baby."[/say] She explains, smiling softly as Aidon's forked tongue flicks out, tickling the tips of Locke's fingers before his head is tilting to the side, orange eyes blinking slowly up at him.

RE: those moments in the woods - Locke - 06-07-2021

It's now that he notices the limp and her hands but he doesn't comment right away. He'll ask in a moment. [say]"I suppose we can. Should talk about that anyway."[/say] Had he not been complaining about how vanilla their sex had been? His voice trails off as Aidon sniffs his hand. [say]"He is pretty little, even for a dragon."[/say] Not that the only truly big dragon he's seen as been Jata but it's fine.

Locke stands there for a minute, looking at the pair. Aidon suits her, he thinks. And maybe he'll be grown by the time all of this goes to hell. Something to protect her or something. He offers chin scritches to the little dragon before stepping back. [say]"Do you need help walking? You're limping.. Could carry you, if you want."[/say] He's pretty sure he can pick her up. Why hasn't he tried before?

RE: those moments in the woods - Maeve - 06-08-2021

A dark brow raises and her lips curl into a faint smirk despite the pain that she's feeling right now in her ankle and hands, [say]"We can definitely have that talk. I wouldn't be against it."[/say] Maeve hums back sweetly, drawing her bottom lip between her teeth, sea glass gaze raking over him quickly before her attention is drawn to the interaction before Aidon and Locke. She nods in agreement, feeling the curiosity bubbling along the bond before a splash of happiness spreads through her chest at the attention he's receiving, [say]"Seren thinks he'll probably get bigger. Apparently Umbra was about this size when she found him."[/say] And he doesn't look like Sugar does. While Ronin's dragon was small, she stilled seemed mature and grown into her features, but much like a puppy that hasn't grown into its paws, Aidon still seems to have some growing to do.

Another nod is offered as she reaches for him, shifting her weight off of her bad ankle and slipping her bag off her shoulder, holding it out for him to take instead. Aidon unfurls his wings, flapping them carefully to help him guide himself to the ground as to not get in the way once he realizes that Locke is planning to help her. [say]"That would be good. I've been walking on it more than I should."[/say] She admits with a wince, shifting closer to him so she can wrap her arm around his shoulders, bracing herself as he scoops her up.

RE: those moments in the woods - Locke - 06-08-2021

He returns her lip biting, giving her a little wink before the conversation has shifted to baby dragons. Umbra? Oh. Seren's dragon, right. He still hasn't met the little beastie. He should write Seren a letter soon. He just keeps avoiding it. Haha it's fine. Anyways, baby dragons. [say]"Guess we'll have to see if he likes the same treats the dragons back in Stormbreak did."[/say] He wants to tell her to go to Ronin, to be trained even partially as a dragoon but.. Something stops him. Instead he watches as the little dragon flutters away.

Locke takes her bag, slipping it over his shoulder and leaning down so she can wrap her arms around him. [say]"You just want me to baby you."[/say] As if he's the one who didn't offer. But he scoops her up anyway, bridal style and gives her a quick peck before carrying her back to the tree he was lounging at. Carefully, he sets her down, making sure to not jostle her leg too much. [say]"I can set up the tent and things, if you want to stay here. There's a river down the way we can go fishing at and some berries nearby. Plus I have food, of course."[/say] He's slept out on the beach plenty of times but he's never just kind of slept in the woods. Even their days apart were spent in inns and things.

[say]"You'll have to tell me how this all happened once I've got things set up."[/say]

The prospect of food and treats has Aidon perking up from his place on the forest floor, trilling as he gazes up at Locke, excitement coursing along the bond. [say]"He always seems excited about food. I'm sure he'll be happy with anything you give him."[/say] Maeve muses softly, shifting her gaze back up to him with a small smile, slipping her arm around his neck. There is a moment where she thinks she sees concern flicker through his eyes, words sitting on the tip of his tongue that he doesn't let loose, but Maeve lets it be. She can ask him later if she wishes. [say]"So what if I want to be babied? I hardly ever get babied."[/say] The Madame quips, accepting the kiss with a fluttering in her chest as she leans into him, letting her body go limp in his arms.

It's a short walk over to the tree and she likely could have done it herself, but she leans into his chest, letting her head rest against his shoulder for a moment before he's carefully setting her back onto the forest floor. The leaves are soft beneath her, barely crackling as her weight settles onto them and Aidon scurries over to her side, settling beside her as his whole body seems to wiggle in excitement. [say]"That sounds good. I don't think my ankle is too bad. Should just be a sprain."[/say] Maeve wasn't too sure on that. She wasn't a doctor, but given that she can walk it can't be too bad, right? She slumps back against the tree, waiting for him to put the bag down so she can pull her canteen from her pack, taking a long sip of water.

[say]"What did you get up to while I was gone, mon amour?"[/say]

Locke is convinced every dragon is secretly a little glutton beast. He's yet to meet one that didn't love food above all else. (Except maybe their bonded of course.) Then again, who doesn't like treats and tasty things? He chuckles, shaking his head. [say]"Guess I have another taste tester."[/say] Is some part of him a little jealous? Maybe. But he won't voice it. Instead he basks in the warmth of her arms around him. [say]"Oh hush. I baby you all the time."[/say] It's true but maybe he should do it more.

He watches Aidon wiggle like an excited puppy for a moment, head tilted to one side before he's off to start pitching the tent and clearing out space for a fire. He has to be careful with it being longheat and all but it'll be fine. [say]"I can wrap it once I've got things set up, if you want. I think I've got a shirt or something I can spare."[/say] He's not above ruining his clothes for her.

He's got space cleared out for the tent when she asks her question. [say]"Not a lot really. Did some drinking, some tasting of things, got some spices and jams to cook with. The usual."[/say] No bar brawls, no random stranger's beds, so mostly the usual. [say]"What about you?"[/say]

Aidon can't sense Locke's thoughts, but he would likely agree if he was able to. It was a new concept to have someone to take care of him, but the dragon was already settling into the role easily, their bond growing stronger by the day. Maeve nods in agreement, a quiet laugh coloring the air as she leans into him, [say]"And when you find a companion of your own you'll have three."[/say] Locke might not bond with a dragon, but she has no doubt that there is a creature out there for him. Something fitting. Maybe he'll get a griffin like Sunjata or something else. Perhaps the gods will gift him with a companion. There are so many possibilities whether he sees it that way or not.

Her nose wrinkles and she sticks her tongue out at him, [say]"Make me. Clearly it isn't enough."[/say] Maeve teases, a spark of mischief dancing in her eyes despite the discomfort that's throbbing in her ankle. Once she settles against the base of the tree, Aidon quickly joining her and sending his concern along their bond, she reaches out to stroke the top of his head as she does her best to ease his concerns. Maeve watches from her perch, eyes roaming over his form as he pitches the tent, unable to help the fluttering in her stomach as his muscles bunch and cord with the effort, strong hands driving stakes into the ground to secure the rope to. [say]"I picked up some more supplies before I left. I have a proper first aide kit now. Surely there is something in there that you can use."[/say] Maeve offers, not wanting him to ruin a perfectly good shirt when she had other things to use, especially when she'd rather sleep in said shirt.

[say]"Oh yeah? Find anything we could pull seeds from? I'd love to try and grow some things from here in my garden. I don't know if they'll take in the climate, but I could at least give it a go."[/say] Her voice shifts into something softer as she contemplates the possibility, seeming to compare the two areas in her head as she considers if it would be at all possible for her to manage. His question pulls her from her thoughts and she shrugs her shoulders, pursing her lips for a moment, [say]"Well, I went the the Artist's Sanctuary and commissioned Bastien for my piece. That was fairly uneventful. Then I figured I'd do a little exploring in the woods on the outskirts of the Grounds. That's where I ran into Seren and this little guy."[/say] She begins to explain, not going into full detail yet on the events that took place in the woods. Her close brush with death. She didn't want to worry him.

He hums softly, less inclined on the thought. But Locke is ever the pessimist it seems. He, however, doesn't want to ruin a perfectly fine camping trip. Or whatever this is supposed to be. Locke isn't sure he's built for that kind of bond. He's glad she found something though. Makes him feel a little more comfortable.

He rolls his eyes, turning to look at her over his shoulder. [say]"Careful what you say, little girl."[/say] A mostly empty threat but still. There are no cool ocean breezes and he can already feel the sweat beading between his shoulders. Maybe a dip in the river after will sooth his broody mood. But for now he pauses in his work, pulling his shirt off because who needs one of those? All it's doing is getting dirty. Not so sure she wants to sleep in this one. Who knows. Some people are into that. He tosses it over by her before going back to what he was doing. [say]"Yeah? I'm sure there's something in there. Should be easy enough."[/say] He'll have to give her a once over to see if she's got any other injuries.. Of course.

[say]"Well. I did get some berries. Maybe you can try planting some of those? I don't know if they'll last the trip home. Most of them are jams and things like that. Don't know if you can get any seeds out of those.."[/say] He shrugs again, pausing to look over at her. She's started the tiniest herb garden in his kitchen and he loves it. The Halenani's garden is coming back too. Maybe she should be the Frey follower instead of him.

[say]"I can't wait to see the portrait.. Tits out or nah?"[/say] He wiggles his eyebrows at her as he finishes up the tent and starts to properly clear out a place for a fire, crouching down. [say]"How is Seren doing?"[/say] There's that pang of guilt again. [say]"Tell me how you found him."[/say]

He might not be inclined to agree, but Maeve feels it in her gut. He'll find one that suits him and then he'll have something to watch his back too. Even though Aidon isn't very big yet, Maeve has a feeling that he'll grow into a fine protector in time. Then things like what happened a few days ago will hopefully become a rare occurrence.

The threat, empty or not, makes her belly swoop and her pulse pick up in anticipation. A heat spreads across her skin and it has nothing to do with the heat in the air, but entirely to do with the way he looks at her from over his shoulder, growling out his words. Maeve feels the flush spread across her cheeks as she meets his gaze innocently, arching a dark brow, [say]"Or what? Going to punish me?"[/say] She baits, unsure if it's entirely wise, but not really caring either way. Especially not after he tugs his shirt off, exposing his well muscled back and arms, giving her plenty to look at as he works on getting the tent sorted out. [say]"I think you'll find I'm incredibly prepared."[/say] Maeve drawls, settling further against the tree after she shrugs off her own jacket, leaving her in a loose tank top instead.

Maeve purses her lips in consideration, [say]"I might be able to get some from the berries even if they don't make the trip. Probably won't be able to pull anything from the jams. That's alright, though. I think I found some good mushrooms that I can grow. They aren't poisonous or hallucinogenic from what I can tell."[/say] She shrugs, not minding one way or another. There is a nice little garden growing in his kitchen and her own garden at the Halenani has come back easily for her. It probably helps that she can call bees in to pollinate at any point too. Maeve has her own little hive now and soon she'll be able to harvest her first jars of honey.

A coy smirk curls on her lips and she shrugs her shoulders noncommittally, [say]"You'll just have to wait and see. I'm sure you'll like it, though."[/say] Maeve purrs, tossing him a wink as her fingers trail absentmindedly over Aidon's back, the dragon already dozing beside her now that he has a moment to rest. [say]"She's doing alright. Getting ready to go on a quest with Ronin in the Sea of Glass. Something about a hidden treasure?"[/say]" She offers him a small smile, [say]"She misses you. She was sad that you hadn't written her."[/say] It's not meant to make him feel guilty, but Maeve hopes it gives him a little push to actually reach out to the younger girl.

[say]"Well, I headed out into the Woodland outside the ruins to do some scavenging myself. I wanted to see if I could find anything I could potentially grow or use in my craft."[/say] Maeve starts, recalling the events of that afternoon, how it so quickly went south. [say]"I was walking through and I heard something behind me. I wasn't sure what it was, but I panicked and ran, afraid it might be a predator I couldn't fight of myself."[/say] Of course it had only been Seren, but it had been enough to spook her at the time. [say]"I ran through this clearing in the treeline and there was a giant tumbleweed. Huge. It could have easily swallowed me. I fell when and that's when I messed up my ankle. I noticed something struggling in a bramble that the tumbleweed was heading for and then Seren showed up."[/say]

A pause for her to take another sip of water, watching him closely as he forms the fire pit, [say]"Umbra set the thing on fire and I worked on getting Aidon free from the thorns. That's how I fucked up my hands. We got away, but it was close for a moment."[/say]

He can't quite figure her game out but he wonders if it's one she really wants to play. Sure, they've messed around and stuff but he's annoyed and sweaty and he shoots her a glare from over his shoulder. [say]"Starting to think I'm going to have to."[/say] At least he knows what he's doing. This is a two person game and he aims to win. He's half tempted to stalk over to her and show her what he means but he doesn't. Not yet. [say]"Oh? And what do you mean by that?"[/say] Like extra bandages or something? Are they having the same conversation..

The mention of mushrooms does get his attention though. He frowns, shaking his head, [say]"So not the fun kind. Sad. But I guess I can cook with them.."[/say] He had been tempted to swing by the Hollowed Grounds to see if he could scrounge up some gilded lilies but eh. Maybe some other time. [say]"Have to see if we can find someone to double check them or a book or something. Don't want to die because you got your shrooms mixed up."[/say] How stupid would that be? Impending war and you die by mushroom confusion.

The tent and the fire are finally finished for now so he heads over to her. He doesn't sit yet, just kind of stands in front of her as she talks. His head tilts just slightly as he listens to her story. [say]"I never know what to write to her about. Nothing I've done lately is all that interesting, or I don't think it would be to her.."[/say] Not that he's not having fun but still. [say]"Guess I can ask about the hidden treasure though. That sounds kinda cool."[/say] Maybe send some sweets..

He raises an eyebrow, shaking his head slowly as she talks. Of course she'd get into trouble the second they were apart. It just seems to be a trend these days. He finally moves to sit down next to her, holding his hand out. He's still quietly bristling but he wants to look at her hands. [say]"Glad Seren was there then.. And I guess we can be fucked up hand buddies now."[/say] He wiggles his fingers as he waits for her to put her hand in his.

Oh, she wants to play, Locke. That much is certain. Even when he glares at her from over her shoulder it does nothing but spur her on. Her eyes sparkle mischievously, sea glass green seeming brighter than usual as her head cocks to the side, a sweet smile curling on her lips. [say]"I'd like to see you try, mon amour."[/say] She purrs, barely keeping the huff of laughter that tries to push past her lips in check as she shrugs her slender shoulders, stretching her arms above her head to show off a sliver of midriff as her tank top hikes up. [say]"Guess you'll just have to wait and see."[/say] Maeve doesn't elaborate, leaving him to guess at what exactly she means, knowing for a fact that she's only winding him up further.

[say]"No, I suppose they aren't the fun kind, but they're fresh and earthy."[/say] She rolls her eyes at him, huffing out a breath as she goes back to watching him work on getting their camping spot fully set up. [say]"I'm fairly familiar with mushrooms and these definitely don't have any of those qualities, but we can double check if it makes you feel better."[/say] Not that she really blames him for worrying. It would absolutely be their luck to end up dying from mushroom poisoning on the brink of a war.

Her expression softens as she lifts her gaze to his, head tilting back against the tree, [say]"I think she would just be glad to hear from you. I told her that you hurt your hand and that was part of it. I think I bought you some time."[/say] Maeve reassures him before she's continuing on with the rest of her tale, knowing how bad it sounds and fully ready to accept his berating for getting herself into trouble again. Not like she did it on purpose, but it seems every time they part from each other, something ends up happening, leaving her injured in some way. This time with a sprained ankle and torn up hands.

Maeve lets a small smile curl on her lips as she carefully slips her bandaged hands into his, both of them wrapped securely with now dirty bandages that surely need to be changed. [say]"I didn't try to get myself in trouble. It just sort of happened."[/say] She can feel his irritation rolling off of him in waves and decides to behave for the time being. [say]"I promise I'm okay."[/say]

He doesn't say much, carefully taking her hands and undoing the wrappings. He looks them over with one hand while he digs around in her bag for bandages. For as expressionless as he seems, he's deep in his head, trying to sort things out. Maeve, Aidon, Seren, all of it. Mostly Maeve though. She seems in such good spirits despite the tumbleweed so he's finding it hard to be too upset. Maybe they're both a little reckless. It's fine.

He presses light kisses to her palms before he starts cleaning her hands. He's slow, taking his time to make sure it's done properly. It's like when she did his hands but not quite. There is no brewing angst, no bone deep realization of death. But he's quiet nonetheless. No, there's something else brewing in the pit of his stomach. He just has things to take care of first.

Once he's done wrapping her hands, he crawls down to her ankle, propping it up on his thigh as he pushes her clothes out of the way and plucks off her boot. [say]"Give me the wrap."[/say] As almost stern as his voice sounds, his fingers trail gently along the sprain, pressing ever so lightly. It doesn't feel broken as far as he can tell but he's not trained in medicine. The fact that she can walk on it is promising though.