Court of the Fallen
a bit of salt, a bit of lemon - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: a bit of salt, a bit of lemon (/showthread.php?tid=5844)

Pages: 1 2 3

a bit of salt, a bit of lemon - Ronin - 06-30-2021

[say]Meet me at the Hanged Man this evening. I'll buy you a drink.[/say]

That's the extent of the message he has left at the house on the cliff's for Torchline's Governor. He hopes that the buy you a drink will mitigate any potential panic attached to them meeting these days, because gods know that things keep imploding when their families get within ten feet of one another.

Well, when Remi gets within ten feet of them to be more accurate, but the alchemist has asked for his help, and Ronin will never deny him.

He hasn't stepped into the Hanged Man just yet - Ronin stands outside, waiting for his friend to appear. The air is still balmy but there's the smell of salt and sweetness on the air, of changing winds and the close of the season. With hands resting in his pockets and his dark hair ruffled by the breeze, he might be carefree, were it not for the intensity of his gaze on the water.

RE: a bit of salt, a bit of lemon - Sunjata - 06-30-2021

Buy him a drink? Perhaps. The fact it’s in Ronin’s handwriting? Sign him up.

He doesn’t arrive in much of a flare, no dragons today (surprising, I know), but he does arrive in a shift. A sleek black panther that trots through the alley of Haulani until he arrives on the edge of the Hanged Man, shifting back into himself by the time he nears Ronin – a scarred hand rising to clasp his friend’s shoulder.

“[say]You look about as good as I do.[/say]” He comments, rough and hoarse but not as bad as it had been just a week prior. There’s a small smile flashed Ronin’s way before he’s withdrawing, nodding toward the entry way, giving Ronin a second before he’s stepping up into the bar – ironic, considering it’s the place they first met. “[say]I’d much prefer to get fucked up tonight so if there’s anything of importance perhaps we should talk of it before I can't anymore.[/say]” A crooked smile is sent Ronin’s way, tossed over his shoulder, before he moves to haunt the corner table by the dart board.

RE: a bit of salt, a bit of lemon - Ronin - 07-01-2021

[say]"And you sound about as good as I look."[/say] Ronin has been watching the pool of darkness move and grow from the corner of his eye, and a smile blooms across his face when it morphs into his friend. [say]"What happened?"[/say] he wonders, a hand falling over the top of Jata's to give his fingers a quick squeeze. The Governor is already on the move, though, leaving Ronin to meander in his wake.

They head to the bar and Ronin orders two very healthy tumblers of whiskey, taking the bottle as well as they head over to the table by the dart board. [say]"I'm so glad we're in agreement,"[/say] he drawls, lifting his glass in a cheers to that and taking a sip before he sets everything down. [say]"Hey..."[/say]

Before they sit down and get settled in, Ronin reaches for Sunjata's shoulder to turn him around, that he might step in and pull him into a rough hug. It's bone crushing and speaks volumes more than anything either of them can say, and Ronin only steps back when the whiskey calls to him again.

[say]"This is such a mess, isn't it."[/say]

RE: a bit of salt, a bit of lemon - Sunjata - 07-01-2021

What happened? So many things. So many things that were going wrong that it felt like it had all crumbled to sand and kept slipping through his fingers. Paranoid? Absolutely. On edge with everything? Of course. “[say]Fucked up my throat. It’s getting better.[/say]” He offers Ronin with a small smile of apology – wanting to wait until they’re at least settled before he dives into the terrible things that kept happening – one of which being the return from that trip.

Ronin gets the drinks, though, and gods if the bottle doesn’t look like some sort of salvation as he returns to the table – Sunjata taking his own glass and raising it in a small cheers back, taking a sip and sets it down on the table before he goes to take his seat.

He can’t, because Ronin’s pulling him into a hug, and the Star might find that Sunjata’s tense as a board until his hug becomes crushing and Sunjata’s relaxing, pressing his head against the Star’s shoulder, wrapping his arms around the other man just as tight. His heartbeat thunders in his ears just long enough that when they pull away, he wonders if it was his or Ronin’s he heard.

“[say]Feels like an understatement.[/say]” Sunjata sighs, slipping into his chair and propping his elbows on the table, running his lightning scarred hand through his hair, before his steel gaze meets Ronin’s. “[say]Nate came back and things were good for a little bit… Then I had to go help Wessex and Samuel try to find the Prince. Breathed in a lot of toxins, fucked up my throat, and when I came back? The Slagveld, Advocates, and Wren Society had burned all in the same night.[/say]”

Ronin finds himself smiling as the hug is returned, and he gives Sunjata's shoulders a squeeze before stepping back to take a seat with the other man. He sinks the first glass of whiskey without a thought, pouring another before he reminds himself that he really ought to get to the meat of their conversation before they start drinking properly. Letting out a long sigh, he listens to Sunjata's explanation with a wince. [say]"Yeah, I heard about... some of that. Fuck's sake, Jata."[/say]

Rubbing at his forehead, he offers his friend an apologetic smile. [say]"Hopefully I can help with one of the problems you've got. Pretty sure you've heard by now about all of this..."[/say] he gestures vaguely at the air, [say]"between Remi and Nate? I don't want to see your husband dead and I sure as hell don't want to clean blood off mine, so I think between us we need to figure out how to deal with it."[/say]

Sunjata’s quick to follow Ronin’s footsteps in downing a glass first as well, before his attention is flickering to the some of that and the follow up ‘fuck’s sake’ with a nod. He pours himself another glass too, sitting back and letting his tired steel gaze lift to Ronin’s face, bags beneath his eyes as if he hasn’t gotten a good night’s sleep in a while (which he hasn’t).

The mention of Nate and Remi, though, does spark a small sigh from him – the Flood shifting in his seat to lean back, to stretch out his long legs, to let his hand and fingers dance along the edge of the glass. “[say]I’ve heard, yeah.[/say]” He frowns, letting his gaze drop to the amber liquid in the glass. “[say]I don’t know how they keep crossing paths.[/say]” He states at first. “[say]And you know that I’m not Remi’s biggest fan but… I think with everything that’s happened, plus what Remi did to me, it’s shoved the both of us into this paranoia.[/say]” He lifts the glass to take a sip, feeling it burn as it slips down his throat. “[say]What do you suggest?[/say]” Because he’s certainly at a loss. He isn’t Nate’s keeper.

Sunjata looks like hell. Ronin can relate, but it's an unwritten rule between friends that only one of them can fall to pieces in the other's company at any one time. And so the Star remains steady, hearing out the Flood and giving a gentle nod. He rolls the new glass of whiskey between his hands, but doesn't yet touch it. There'll be time to get buzzed (and then some) later.

[say]"Well,"[/say] he says softly, [say]"I know that we can't stop them from running into each other, if that's how fate is going to play it. But do you think we could get them agree to just walk away? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but ah..."[/say] Ronin flashes Sunjata a lopsided smile. [say]"Nate's got a sharp tongue and he doesn't know when to keep it in his mouth. And Remi's self control is not what it used to be."[/say] It's pretty much non existent, actually. [say]"And if Nate starts something, Remi will finish it."[/say]

Sunjata waits to hear what Ronin’s answer might be, quietly working his jaw despite the soreness there – eyes lingering on Ronin and the way he rolls the glass between his hands. The conversation makes his shoulders slump a fraction, chewing on the inside of his cheek, drawing in a slow and quiet breath before he nods. “[say]I can try to get him to agree to it.[/say]” He says quietly, knowing what the consequences would be, hating how it had come down to this in the first place.

His gaze drops to his own glass, silent for a few long moments as he tries to pick apart what he wants to say. He wants to say all the things about how he can’t lose Nate while simultaneously wanting to ensure Ronin knows that he isn’t out to try and control or police what it is Nate says or does. It seems unfair to have gotten it to this point in the first place, but among the rest of everything, perhaps finding the means to talk about it would be beneficial for both he and his husband.

So instead of saying anything off the bat, he takes a sip from the glass, downing half of it on top of the glass he’d finished not long before. “[say]I will talk to him, Ronin. And you'll talk to Remi?[/say]”

RE: a bit of salt, a bit of lemon - Ronin - 07-02-2021

[say]"It's only one of a lot of things we could try. I'm not so sure Safrin would help us with it, given who Remi and Nate are,"[/say] Ronin murmurs, running his fingers through his hair. [say]"But maybe if we approached Ludo..."[/say] Going to the Voice is completely out of the question for Ronin, but perhaps Remi's patron herald would hear them out. The mere thought of it has him also sinking half a glass of his drink, shuddering to himself.

[say]"I will talk to Remi,"[/say] he confirms, setting the glass down at the same time as they make their strange sort of toast. [say]"You reckon we could make 'em a big sweater that they both have to wear until they get along?"[/say] he suggests, scoffing at the mere idea of it. It would end in blood, but fuck, it might be funny for ten seconds. [say]"Want to play darts?"[/say] he asks suddenly, as if some part of him wants to wipe away the fatigue and stress from Sunjata's face.

RE: a bit of salt, a bit of lemon - Sunjata - 07-03-2021

The mention of Safrin helping to keep their two husbands away from one another already has him cringing internally, working at his jaw as he cradles the glass in one hand. “[say]We could try Ludo.[/say]” He considers, idly, sighing heavily as his gaze drops to his glass. The mention of a get along sweater, though, does manage to spark an idea though – one that’s futile given that Nate can’t sleep, but still Sunjata says it anyway.

“[say]It’s a shame Nate can’t sleep, otherwise I’d suggest sticking them in a dream where they could beat the shit out of each other until they felt better.[/say]” Without the consequences of real, actual death, of course.

Darts, though, some small part of Sunjata perks up with it – head lifting up a bit as he raises the glass to his lips again to finish it off, letting the burn swell in his stomach. “[say]Sure.[/say]” He agrees, moving to stand and to retrieve the darts – picking the blue tipped ones for himself and handing the set of white ones to Ronin. “[say]You go first.[/say]” He says, offering Ronin a small half smile.

RE: a bit of salt, a bit of lemon - Ronin - 07-03-2021

[say]"Maybe we could go together,"[/say] Ronin suggests with a small wrinkle of his nose; he doesn't really want to approach his husband's herald, but this is important. And he'd feel much more reassured with a friend nearby. He raises his eyebrows at Sunjata's suggestion, nodding gently and drumming his fingers along the edge of his glass. [say]"Another thing we might want to ask Ludo, though I'm not sure it will be willing to do many favours for Ascended. Maybe the fact that it's for Remi will sweeten the deal."[/say]

Knocking back the rest of his glass - and reaching out to give them both a refill - Ronin rises to his feet and accepts the white tipped darts with a lopsided smile. [say]"Me first? Such a gentleman,"[/say] he drawls, already able to feel the welcome warmth in his blood from the whiskey as he takes his place. [say]"A'right, here we go--"[/say]

Of course, as strong and agile as Ronin is, and with the alcohol already going to work on his inhibitions, the Star not only gets a bullseye as he throws the dart, but it all but skewers the board against the wall. [say]"Oh fuck,"[/say] he blurts. [say]"Oops."[/say]

He pauses, considering the idea of them both going to Ludo to ask, and Sunjata nods curiously. “[say]I can go with you.[/say]” He’s never met the herald, not officially, and it’s the only one out of the trio he’s missed. Out of fear, perhaps? Already Sunjata knows it might not be willing to help Nate, but he’s curious if perhaps a trip to the Voice might warrant the ability to give Nate a moment and a space to relax.  “[say]Maybe, so long as we’re sure it doesn’t harm Nate in the process. It feels like Ludo’s the only one that seems to be proactively antiAscended.[/say]” He comments, working his jaw a moment as he stands to hand Ronin his darts.

And he steps out of the way to watch the first one, letting the alcohol burn within him and loosen him up. Compliments spark a small smile on his brooding face, but it’s nothing compared to the way his jaw does drop a little in surprise as he steps toward the dart board with raised brows. “[say]Fucking hell, Ronin.[/say]” He manages a laugh, wincing as he steps back to throw his dart too.

It sails through the air without as much power as Ronin’s, ultimately plinking into the inner ring but certainly not a bullseye.

Stepping back he fills his glass and Ronin’s again. “[say]Gentle, now.[/say]” He murmurs to his friend with a wink.

RE: a bit of salt, a bit of lemon - Ronin - 07-03-2021

Okay so it's been a while since Ronin played darts, clearly. Last time he hadn't been able to throw them quite so easily or with quite as much force, and the flush beneath his collar is as much embarrassment as it is a result of the liquor churning in his belly. Still, Sunjata fixes it with a laugh, Ronin stepping aside to let the other man have his turn, and he sinks another glass of whiskey by the time he needs to step up again.

[say]"Alright, alright,"[/say] he says through a chuckle, holding up his hands placatingly. [say]"What happened there Jata? There's plenty of room in my bullseye for two."[/say] Waggling a hand at the blue tipped dart on the inner circle, Ronin will demonstrate. Except no he won't, and his version of gentle means that he doesn't throw the dart nearly hard enough. It clacks sideways against the board and falls to the ground.

And naturally, Ronin bursts out laughing.

A crooked smile is pasted on the Flood’s face, a roll of his eyes. “[say]RoOm In My BuLlSeYe FoR tWo.[/say]” He mocks playfully, huffing a sigh and stepping aside to let Ronin throw his next dart, offering the quiet attempt to help in regards to the next time Ronin throws. He doesn’t want to destroy the dart board, after all.

And Ronin seems to take it too close to his heart, and with the mix of alcohol and the way the dart unceremoniously clatters to the ground and the way Ronin’s laugh is infectious, Sunjata’s chuckling along with, clasping Ronin’s shoulder before he steps up for his turn. “[say]Too gentle, Ronin. Gods, I didn’t know you’d need this much instruction.[/say]” He teases through another bout of laughter, before he’s focusing on his throw.

And it falls just as flat as Ronin’s does, only instead of smacking the dart board it sinks itself into the corner of the actual wall, leaving a mark behind as it wiggles with the force. “[say]Okay, okay, fuck.[/say]” He can’t help the snickering.