Court of the Fallen
elementary, my dear watson - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: elementary, my dear watson (/showthread.php?tid=5903)

Pages: 1 2

elementary, my dear watson - Wessex - 07-06-2021

Wessex needs to move ASAP, and that means she needs to get the Barracks built. And that means she needs to find Azrael and see if they’ve had any more thought to the plans for the building - or the rest of the Grounds, for that matter. And it’s a beautiful Leafchange sunset, so why not head to the site of the old Barracks and get some onsite perspective?

The General knocks on the door of the Artists’ Sanctuary, knuckles rapping loudly against the wood. She’s in a fairly good mood at the moment, seems a bit lighter, a bit more energetic and less dower than before. It’s amazing what a good transfer of power can do to a demigod. Stepping back and turning away for a moment, she looks up at the brilliant colors the sun is sending across the sky and takes the time to marvel at it.

RE: elementary, my dear watson - Azrael - 07-07-2021

It’s one of the moments that they’re home – so it’s easy to drift to the door when the knock lands upon it. They’d offered a bit of their help to help their father out, too, given that he would likely be tugged at both ends. For them, though? Their projects in the Ruins could wait a bit longer in order to make a bit of a routine.

Surprise coats their face as the bright fanged smile crosses their face when they find Wessex on the other side of the door – opening it wide. “[say]Hi Wessex.[/say]” They chime, reaching forward to embrace the Wraith in greeting, before they pull away and lean back on their heels, watching the woman curiously. “[say]What brings you by?[/say]” They ask, tilting their head, letting the curls bounce and slip against their forehead.

RE: elementary, my dear watson - Wessex - 07-09-2021

Surprised by their hug, Wessex allows herself to be pulled into it and wraps her arms briefly around the tall teen. As they pull away, she looks up at them with a mock puzzled expression, playing the Aunt she’s always wanted to be,[say] “I swear, you’ve gotten taller, Az.”[/say] There’s a warmth behind her eyes that few get to see - but their youngest has always held some of her affection - and she turns it on them now.

[say] “Well I need to move out of Theskyra House - nope,”[/say] she cuts herself off in a pointed reminder.[say] “- Town Hall. We’re calling it Town Hall now. So I need to get a move on those Barracks. Do you have the time to talk about them?”[/say] She probably should have sent a note ahead, asking if Azrael could be make themselves free - but she can always come back. Hopeful but not demanding, Wessex’s weight shifts as she asks if they’ve got an time to spare.

RE: elementary, my dear watson - Azrael - 07-10-2021

The warmth that radiates from the Wraith has that vibrant fanged grin still glued to their face as their shoulders shrug. “[say]Maybe a little. Thought I was done though![/say]” Truth be told, they don’t know when they’ll stop. Still, they practically beam under the attention as Azrael separates them from one another, sitting back on their heels to listen to what Wessex has stopped by for.

“[say]Oh! Yes, right![/say]” They clasp their hands together in front of them – ever a picture image of their father, before a laugh leaves them and they shake their head at how they had forgotten to do such a thing. “[say]I just put the paints away, so now is a good time! Did you wanna talk here or did you have somewhere else in mind?[/say]” Their head cocks to the side, stepping away from the doorframe to let Wessex in should she wish to step in but fully prepared to drop everything and go wherever the Wraith preferred.

RE: elementary, my dear watson - Wessex - 07-10-2021

[say] “I was hoping we might go to the old site, maybe walk the plans out? Something about being there rather than looking at plans on paper…”[/say] drifting off, Wessex shrugs and readily admits that she’s more of the in-person type. Her ability to visualize something on paper probably isn’t as well-developed as Azrael’s.

If they agree, she’ll wait for them to finish up whatever they need to do and grab whatever they might need before heading towards the old Barracks site. The sun has fully sunk beyond the horizon now, the light fading to a calm, pale lavender and grey-blue sky as they walk.[say] “How were your travels? Did you do anything exciting? Meet anyone cool?”[/say] Wessex genuinely hopes that they’d had a good time despite the world beginning to fall down around them.

RE: elementary, my dear watson - Azrael - 07-11-2021

“[say]Sure![/say]” They chime, leaving the door open to step back and find their boots, slipping them on and tying them up as quickly as their deft fingers can manage. Once that’s done and they’ve ensured they haven’t left anything out or behind, they step outside to join Wessex on the walk to the old Barracks. “[say]I only made it as far as King’s End.[/say]” They admit a bit sheepishly, before a soft laugh leaves them. “[say]I met Aamu there and with all the talk of… War and things, I got a little scared to go alone.[/say]” They admit with a fair bit of confidence, unashamed at their feeling of fear.

“[say]Other than that I came back and started working on the Ruins again, little by little.[/say]” They offer Wessex a brighter smile and a shrug. “[say]I wanted to stay close to home because of everything. I think it helps Papa feel better, too.[/say]” Not having to worry about them getting hurt out on their adventures. And honestly? They don’t mind too much. "[say]Have you done anything fun lately?[/say]" They ask, turning their smile to her with a glimmer to their gaze.

RE: elementary, my dear watson - Wessex - 07-12-2021

Wessex nods in understanding. The rest of the family - those who believed that idea, at least - were probably a little more fierce than Azrael, more prepared than them. It can’t be easy growing up right now and the Wraith nods in understanding.[say] “If you ever want company, I’m sure any of us will go somewhere with you.”[/say] They need only ask.

They kiiiind of give her an in to the second conversation she needs to have with them, so Wessex takes the opportunity as they walk.[say] “Have you thought about asking the Voice for something that might help you feel safer? Something defensive, maybe?”[/say] She’s sure Bastien would feel better if Azrael had a bit of natural protection - one less thing to worry about with all that’s about to be heaped on his shoulders.

As for anything fun? She hums in the back of her throat in consideration for a moment, before coming up with something.[say] “I got to explore under the Underground with Sam and Peter and Sunjata. Have you ever met Peter? He lives in Torchline right now. Anyway, we were looking for someone called the Prince and we found some very cool things down there.”[/say]

RE: elementary, my dear watson - Azrael - 07-13-2021

They only brighten at the offer that someone would be willing to come with them, their head quirking up to focus on Wessex with a brighter grin – fangs on full display. “[say]Would you wanna come with me sometime?[/say]” They ask. They don’t know where yet, but they think that if nothing else, Wessex would do whatever it took to protect them – especially considering their father’s warning that they could possibly be a prime target. Inexperienced. A truly made from scratch creation.

The idea of asking the Voice for something defensive has them immediately shaking their head in their honesty. “[say]I haven’t… I should ask her.[/say]” They file it away for later, wanting to figure out what they might ask for before going to speak with the Voice – because if anything, they liked to think that the Voice and them were quite similar in how they wanted things to be direct, to make sense off the bat rather than flounder about it.

“[say]I haven’t met Peter. Nor Sunjata.[/say]” They admit with a hint of thoughtfulness. “[say]I like Sam, though, he’s always very nice to me.[/say]” They trail off before their brows are lifting at the mention of cool things. “[say]Who’s the Prince? And what kinda stuff did you find?[/say]”

RE: elementary, my dear watson - Wessex - 07-14-2021

She hadn’t meant it as a ‘let me suggest it so you ask me’ kind of thing, but the matriarch is nonetheless thrilled when they immediately turn around and ask her to explore with them.[say] “Oh! Of course. Anytime. Anywhere.”[/say] Azrael would always be safe with her… so long as they weren’t tagging along on anything already inherently dangerous.

[say] “Your healing during LongNight really saved our asses,”[/say] she adds.[say] “I don’t think I ever said thank you for that, so - thank you.”[/say] It probably didn’t need to be said, but she wants them to know they’re appreciated and can add value to the family.[say] “Do you think you might want to continue on in that vein… healing, support kind of stuff?”[/say] she probes gently.[say] “Or something else?”[/say]

It’s a big question, she knows, which is why she pauses there before going on to explain what little she knows about the Prince. Anyway, if they're uncomfortable with it, the old Barracks site should be just around the corner.

RE: elementary, my dear watson - Azrael - 07-15-2021

Her agreement has them immediately slipping into a brighter grin, an odd sounding “[say]fuck yeah.[/say]” Leaving them as if it were in a whisper – a learned phrase from Nate most recently, finding it the most effective. And of course, coming from them? It’s quite entertaining to see the reactions they can get when they say it. Once that passes, though, they’re focusing on Wessex’s compliment over LongNight – a flush overcoming them suddenly that has them ducking their head as they keep walking, surprisingly bashful all of a sudden.

“[say]I shut down for a little bit after that… It was scary.[/say]” They admit with a small frown, before it falls away almost immediately. “[say]But I’m glad I helped everyone. You’re welcome.[/say]” The smile replaces itself when their head lifts, curls falling out of their eyes as they nod to the gratitude, tucking it down into somewhere close to their heart.

They consider her words a moment longer as they step toward the Barracks, just around the corner. “[say]I really like… Building and repairing. Maybe if I had something that helped me build but could also be a weapon of sorts just for safety would be good?[/say]” Their head cocks, thinking of some type of dual purpose hammer. “[say]Or maybe I could just get a really helpful shield upgrade![/say]” One that might benefit all of them.

RE: elementary, my dear watson - Wessex - 07-17-2021

There’s a moment of surprise when Wessex hears fuck yeah coming from the face she’s always thought of as so innocent. Her face lights up like a christmas tree before echoing back with enough conviction for the both of them,[say] “Fuck yeah.”[/say]

Though honestly, she’d forgotten that they’d shut down for a bit, overwhelmed, she assumed, by the use of their power. A flash of guilt sears through her and she bites the inside of her lip in regret.[say] “I didn’t even know that could happen,”[/say] she confesses, looking down at the ground.[say] “But we’ll try to keep that from happening again.”[/say] All of them. They have to look out for each other.

[say] “Why not both?”[/say] the General asks with a slight tilt of her head.[say] “Eventually. The Voice’s generosity is boundless when we know what we want and have purpose.”[/say] After all, she only ever wants them to be their brightest, and Azrael is a special sort of bright. All love and Goddess-goodness, they are probably the closest of the three of the demigods to their Lady’s nature: clever, curious, kind, tending towards tinkering and building.

Rounding the corner, the two of them find the old foundations of the Barracks and Wessex pauses where she can try to imagine all of it, at once.[say] “I have a quick question, Az. And I’m sorry to have to ask it, but might as well get it out of the way now and then we can move on to more pleasant things.”[/say]  

Also, she thinks as an afterthought, Bastien will probably kill her if he hears what she asked them.

RE: elementary, my dear watson - Azrael - 07-18-2021

There’s no chiding from Wessex with their cursed excitement and it’s something that when the Wraith reciprocates it, they can’t help but to positively beam even more than before. It only fades a fraction at the mention of their shutting down, a slender yet muscular shoulder rises and falls in a shrug. “[say]It’s okay. I explained it to Papa and he said it was like blacking out… I just used too much that I had to recharge I guess?[/say]” So long as it doesn’t happen again, they don’t try to think about it that much.

The question of why not both has them reaching up to rub at the side of their face, as if it dawned on them they could ask for both. There’s a soft laugh that leaves them, a nod. “[say]Both then![/say]” They decide swiftly – only the problem now was when it came to figuring out where to start.

They round the corner and the Barracks are in view, when Wessex pauses and Azrael’s head swings to look back at her with the rise of their dark brows. They stop and turn to her, facing her openly and perhaps with a bit of a worried expression. “[say]Okay, what’s the question?[/say]” They don’t know what to expect, truthfully.

RE: elementary, my dear watson - Wessex - 07-19-2021

They’re probably the hardest to ask - something about further breaking down their innocence and stealing their childhood from them rings in the Wraith’s head. It isn’t her fault, of course, but it also isn’t something she wants to do. But she must gather the new and the old and make sure she knows where they stand.

[say] “When the fighting comes,”[/say] she begins, tight-lipped and thin-voiced.[say] “What do you want to do? Fight? Help in some other way?”[/say] She thinks she knows the answer, but she has to hear it from them. And before they think she might be trying to pressure them one way or the other, she adds quickly,[say] “I need to know for future plans. There’s no right answer.”[/say]

RE: elementary, my dear watson - Azrael - 07-21-2021

The question captures all of their attention – stopping like a dime that settles at the bottom of a wishing well. They don’t need to breathe, they haven’t hardly practiced it at all – and so the Wraith will meet the unblinking, unbreathing person in wait as the words fall from her lips, giving them something to think about quite intensely. It’s a lot of ask about, but it’s also a lot of what they’ve been trying to figure out.

They wanted to help. They wanted to heal and fix and repair all the broken things in the world.

They’re silent for a few moments longer before their lips are pursing, before their ochre gaze ringed in silver rises to study Wessex’s face. “[say]I want to heal us. Fix us if things go wrong. I don’t… Think I’m much of a fighter but I wanna help heal.[/say]” They offer, imagining their ability to be quite useful for the Ascended. “[say]Maybe I can ask the Voice for something like that, too… When I see her.[/say]” They mumble under their breath before they’re focusing back on Wessex’s face, dark brows pinching together. “[say]That’s okay, right? That I just to heal?[/say]” She’d said there were no right answers, but it doesn’t stop the stemming anxiety that swirls within them.