Court of the Fallen
{se} oh shit, forgot I'm a vampire - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: {se} oh shit, forgot I'm a vampire (/showthread.php?tid=6001)

Pages: 1 2

{se} oh shit, forgot I'm a vampire - Cameron - 07-17-2021

Their mind racing from their recent Ascension, Cam strolled out of the Temple with their tongue running over their newly-sharpened teeth, trying to catalogue all the different sensations. They were thinking about writing down the changes they noticed in a journal, or something, just so they could remember what it felt like to be human and how Ascending changed that -- when suddenly they felt heat. Wait, wasn't Ascending supposed to dull sensation? They'd noticed --

Oh, that was too much heat. Definitely too much. Yikes! Instinctively, Cam jumped into the shade of a building, and the heat subsided.

Right. Vampires. Can't take the sunlight. Nice job, idiot.

Puffing their cheeks, Cameron inhaled and let out a long breath. Then they realized that this had been their first breath since they'd Ascended; the urge to breathe had vanished, so they'd forgotten to do so, and only took in air now as a means of expressing their emotions. Huh.

But, back to the matter at hand: they were now trapped in this patch of shade. It was a bit of a walk back to the inn where they were staying, and they doubted they could make it through the cheery morning sunlight that long. They could dash back to the Temple, though.

And then what?

RE: oh shit, forgot I'm a vampire - Wessex - 07-28-2021

It’s just another ordinary day for Wessex; the sun is indeed shining, the trees are in the middle of their Leafchange cycle, somewhere between a brilliant yellow and orange, and the market is at its usual capacity. Paying for an item, she notices Cam in the shade of a tree, but continues on without stopping, to mark the next item off her list.

It isn’t until she’s on her way back, and Cam is still under that tree that the General’s spidey senses begin to tingle. She still doesn’t know them very well, but they don’t seem like the type to just linger under a tree for a while. It isn't suspicious, really, just... odd? Something seems not quite right, though she can't put her finger on it. [say] “Cam?”[/say] she calls out, head tilted slightly to one side in that universal questioning expression as she waves to them and starts to cross the street.[say] “You all right?”[/say]

RE: oh shit, forgot I'm a vampire - Cameron - 07-29-2021

[say]"I'm good!"[/say] Cam said, because that was what they always said when people asked if they were OK, whether it was true or not. They were glad to see Wessex, though; out of all the people who could have happened upon them in this state, she was probably the best choice. With a self-deprecating smile, they added, [say]"Well, actually ... I just Ascended, which is great, but I didn't realize I'd have to walk home in the sun. So I'm kind of stuck here. Thinking about dashing back to the Temple and spending the day there."[/say]

They didn't really relish the idea of just hanging out in the Temple all day -- they would get bored -- but it was better than burning, or standing under this tree until the sun went down.

RE: oh shit, forgot I'm a vampire - Wessex - 08-01-2021

Oh. Oh. Surprise, then delight crosses the General’s face, then surprise again.[say] “Good God, Cameron, I can’t believe you even made it this far.”[/say] Most newly Ascended couldn’t withstand the effects of daylight, but perhaps by waiting, they were a bit stronger than normal. As she says that, the wind begins to blow, blustery and chilled, setting the branches on the tree above them waving wildly about.

[say]Welcome to the family,[/say] she begins to say to them mentally, whilst keeping an eye on the ragged, dancing sun-patches.[say] Where would you like to go?[/say]

Her lips are clearly, cleanly pressed together, unmoving, as she smiles at them slyly. If Wessex favored them before, she really favored them now.

RE: oh shit, forgot I'm a vampire - Cameron - 08-05-2021

[say]"It wasn't pleasant,"[/say] Cam admitted. Their skin was starting to show little fluid blisters where they'd been exposed to the sun -- and they supposed they should just be grateful that it wasn't worse.

Then a broad smile crossed their face as Wessex welcomed them. [say]"Thanks, I -- wait."[/say] They'd just noticed that Wessex's mouth wasn't moving, that they didn't actually hear her words. [say]"Wait, I know this sounds crazy, but is that ... telepathy? Do we all get telepathy, or is that just another cool Wessex thing?"[/say]

Oh, where did they want to go? [say]"Well, I'm staying at an inn down that way -- but, actually, I'd rather spend the day at the Artist's Sanctuary than holed up in my room."[/say]

RE: oh shit, forgot I'm a vampire - Wessex - 08-06-2021

[say] “No, I imagine not -”[/say] the Wraith says, quickly shrugging off her cloak and offering it to them.[say] “Here.”[/say] In a tone that indicates refusal is not an option, it should be obvious what they’re supposed to do with it.

As for the Artist’s Sanctuary? [say] “That seems doable.”[/say] offering them a grin and then her hand once they’ve donned the cloak, Wessex will first take a moment to explain the telepathy thing.[say] “Just a me trick, but you can talk back mentally if you like. And soon, I think everyone in the region will be able to reach me if need be. But you could ask the Voice for it too, next time you go back to replenish your fluid.”[/say] Pausing for a moment, she shrugs.[say] “Or anything, really. Whatever will make you the best version of yourself.”[/say]

Then, assuming they’re all situated, she asks,[say] “Ready?”[/say] and will teleport the two of them to the Sanctuary.

RE: oh shit, forgot I'm a vampire - Cameron - 08-07-2021

Cam quickly wrapped Wessex's cloak around themself. It seemed strange, to cover up when they were overheating, but then they weren't actually overheating -- it was the sun that was the problem, not the temperature. Interesting. They'd have to keep that in mind.

They took Wessex's hand. [say]"Really?"[/say] They decided to try reaching Wessex telepathically, doing their best to think at her, though they didn't really know what that entailed: [say]Can you hear me?[/say]

[say]"I don't know that telepathy would really be my thing,"[/say] they added aloud, with a self-deprecating little chuckle. [say]"With my luck, I'd end up sending everyone the song stuck in my head and drive us all crazy. But it's cool to know I could ask her for something."[/say]

They'd have to think about what cool vampire powers they wanted. But first: to the Artist's Sanctuary. They nodded. [say]"I'm ready."[/say]

RE: oh shit, forgot I'm a vampire - Wessex - 08-08-2021

[say] Of course,[/say] comes the quick reply, followed by a wink. Like she’d show them a power she couldn’t back up.

[say] “And that’s fair,”[/say] Wessex concedes with a small, amused laugh.[say] “It can be really unnerving sometimes, or so I hear. Useful for messages and the like, but otherwise feels like intruding. And anyway, I can only hear the thoughts you direct at me.”[/say] Hand in hand once they say they’re ready, the Wraith takes them to the Sanctuary with a quick teleport, much like the way they’d traveled from the Last Step.

And once they arrive, she waits until they gather themselves if there are adverse effects, and then begins again, rather hesitant.[say] “I suppose I should bring you up to speed on things.”[/say] Now that they 'officially' needed to be in the loop.

RE: oh shit, forgot I'm a vampire - Cameron - 08-10-2021

[say]Wow,[/say] they sent back. Then, aloud, [say]"That's good to know. No offense, but I don't think either of us would enjoy you reading my mind."[/say]

The idea of laying bare all of their messy, unpleasant, anxious thoughts made Cam very glad Wessex's telepathy didn't venture into outright mind-reading. After all, their brain regularly sent them dark, judgmental, and/or ridiculous messages that they had to ignore. They didn't think they could meet someone else's eyes if that person also had to hear them.

[say]"I'm never going to get used to that, either,"[/say] Cam added after the teleportation. Then, with a cheer that the subject probably didn't deserve: [say]"OK, what's 'things'?"[/say]

RE: oh shit, forgot I'm a vampire - Wessex - 08-10-2021

Laughing aloud, the Wraith privately thinks that Cameron is likely the least of her worries when it comes to “bad thoughts,” but if that’s their own assessment of themselves, then who is she to tell them otherwise?[say] “And I’m glad I can control my broadcast,”[/say] is all she says, rather knowingly, before they’re popping off to the Sanctuary.

Once there, and once Cameron seems to be okay, Wessex finds a comfortable spot (and lucky for her, there are more than enough cushions in building, and painfully few butts to occupy said cushions. Plopping unceremoniously into a pile, she gives them a look that says they can do the same if they wish, but certainly aren’t obligated to. And then she launches into a familiar spiel, catering the timing to their reactions.

[say] “Well, you already know about the tensions and the war and all that, but there are some Ascended-specific things that are pretty important. One, don’t go into the Greatwood. Ever. Two, you are obviously free to do whatever you want with your person, but please, please think three or four times before giving away parts of yourself. It can be used to make weapons against the Ascended, particularly your fluid.”[/say] Pausing there, she takes a moment to make sure that warning lands with them.[say] “We’ve had that happen before,”[/say] she murmurs tightly, before moving on.

[say] “And sometimes we meet as a family, which we did recently, to go over some information. But first, for my own planning needs. If the fighting comes here, do you think you’ll be on the fighting side, or more of the support side?”[/say] The General can hazard a guess, but it's always important to hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

RE: oh shit, forgot I'm a vampire - Cameron - 08-13-2021

Hey, if Wessex was going to make herself comfortable, Cam might as well do the same. They didn't create an extravagant pile like Wessex, but they grabbed a couple cushions, once to put under them and one to place against the wall behind them so they could lean back on it. Then they listened attentively to Wessex's news.

[say]"The Greatwood -- that's where the Fae live, right?"[/say] Cam had heard of the Fae, and found the idea of them interesting, but hadn't exactly planned to start off into their woods. Though given their recent penchant for exploring, it might have happened eventually had Wessex not warned them.

At the second item of Wessex's instruction, Cam winced. [say]"Yeah, I don't think I'm going to go around giving away bits of myself."[/say] Even if they couldn't feel pain, they idea just grossed them out. [say]"But I'll be extra careful, if it can be used against us."[/say]

As for Wessex's question, Cam didn't have to think long about an answer. [say]"Probably the support side. I don't know how to fight, and I ... don't really think I would want to even if I could."[/say]

The idea of cutting open or taking bits off other people bothered them just as much as having it happen to them.

RE: {se} oh shit, forgot I'm a vampire - Wessex - 08-16-2021

[say] “Yep. It’s the big forest northeast of the Grounds. The Fae and a lot of other Old God followers live there. So. Not only would it be bad to go in against the Fae’s wishes again, it would probably be very dangerous.”[/say] Particularly to the younger Ascended, who wouldn’t stand a chance against Remi or whoever else is living there. Still, she forces a weak smile, trying to reassure them. Having the Greatwood off limits isn’t the end of the world.

Wessex acknowledges their other answers with a nod, satisfied.[say] “Good to know. The trenches aren’t for everyone. There are plenty of other ways to help.”[/say] Because she’s sure they’ll help - there’s no way to escape the fact that they’ll all literally be fighting for their lives. And if she’s honest, she secretly appreciates not having to worry about someone who may not know what they’re doing.

[say] “And as you know, we’re working on the Spire defense stuff and relics As a rule, I tend to keep quiet about what we’re doing with things like that around non-Ascended. You just… never know these days, I’m afraid.”[/say] Sounding a little sad about that last ones, Wessex looks away for a moment and busies herself rearranging a pillow or two.

[say] “At least the monsters are gone now.”[/say] That’s one less thing for them to worry about.

RE: {se} oh shit, forgot I'm a vampire - Cameron - 08-23-2021

[say]"OK, I'll be sure to stay out of there."[/say] Cam did let out a little sigh, kind of disappointed to hear that they'd never get to know a Fae. But they'd made their choice, when becoming Ascended; they just had to deal with the fact that it placed them on a certain side of this growing conflict. And they didn't doubt that they were on the right side, if the Fae and Old Gods followers were so willing to slaughter the Ascended for following a different god.

Smiling at Wessex's response, Cam added, [say]"I definitely do want to find a way to help, though. I'm just not sure what that would be."[/say] Not many of their skills were really applicable to a war.

[say]"That makes sense,"[/say] Cam said, but they shared Wessex's sadness. It seemed like in choosing the Ascended as their family, they'd cut themself off a bit from the rest of Caido, and while they didn't regret it ... It kind of hurt to see such divisions in their new home. [say]"Uh, relics? What are those? And ... monsters?"[/say]

RE: {se} oh shit, forgot I'm a vampire - Wessex - 08-24-2021

[say] “I know. I’m sorry,”[/say] Wessex fully shares their disappointment; the Greatwood is beautiful, fully of all the things the Grounds doesn’t have and then some. Many of it can be found in Kings End now, but for someone who loves trees… there’s probably very little comparison.[say] “Maybe. One day when this is over.”[/say] She tries to sound hopeful, but they probably both know that’s a big maybe. One that hinges on too many things to sound more than just a tad optimistic.

[say] “I hope you don’t take that as not being able to have - other relationships. I’m not - that’s not what I’m trying to say. Or tell you what you can and can’t do. Or sound like your mother.”[/say] Fumbling a bit, Wessex is keenly aware that she can sound prescriptive when what she means is to advise, to look out for future problems and nip them in the bud. A tight-lipped expression is what she leaves them with before hurrying on to the new topic.

[say] “Oh, no - just the monsters we got rid of last LongNight. I think you were pretty new then.”[/say] Pausing for a moment to try and identify when Cameron had arrived, all she can think of is their first meeting at the Firling.  The Monster saga probably wasn't such a big deal in their mind as it was in hers.

[say] "Most of our other Monsters are just stories. Or one-off meetings when their rest is disturbed."[/say]