Court of the Fallen
a little place called trust - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: a little place called trust (/showthread.php?tid=6049)

Pages: 1 2

a little place called trust - Nate - 07-26-2021

Things have been strange since the last time Nate was here. He hasn’t been home in too long, wherever counts as home by this point, the corpse in Torchline or the infant in Kings End. He’s been to Halo more times these last few weeks than he has in seasons, and he isn’t even going home now. Sunjata’s coming out to the Grounds to meet him soon, Nate helping with soemthing he hadn’t been told too much about, which means he hasn’t asked too much about it.

For the moment, it doesn’t matter. There’s a grin plastered to his face, just above the worst shirt Sunjata owns (in Nate’s obviously correct opinion) and a pair of comfortable pants. Who knows what the recovery for invasive brain surgery is for him? He’s not going to wear anything that can’t be thrown out.

Letting himself into the infirmary, Nate pauses, taking a breath when he doesn’t see Isla immediately and steadying himself. He’s prepared, he’s ready and willing, and he even brought himself a bouquet of yellow roses, a cheery Get Well Soon! card tucked in among the petals. “[say]Isla?[/say]” He calls out, not quite yelling out of respect for any other patients. “[say]I hope your evenings clear![/say]”

RE: a little place called trust - Isla - 07-27-2021

Wouldn't you know it - Isla's evening is clear. And whether or not that bodes well for Nate is still a great unknown, but regardless the medic's footsteps can be heard echoing out from the ward shortly after hearing her name. In her labcoat and with her golden hair drawn up into a messy bun, she offers her fellow doctor a very happy smile indeed, raising her eyebrows at the bouquet he brings.

[say]"You are adorable,"[/say] she informs him, though her tone never moves beyond the practical as she draws up to hug Nate hello. [say]"I'm all yours this evening - lucky you. Let's prep your recovery room and you can put those flowers in a vase. Then we'll get you prepped and ready for surgery."[/say]

Already she's leading him through and into the ward, heading for the private treatment room closest to the operating theatre, not wanting to have to move Nate too much afterwards.

RE: a little place called trust - Nate - 07-29-2021

Isla wastes no time in appearing, a fact Nate appreciates. It’s not that he’s worried about changing his mind, rather, he’s worried if he thinks too long and too hard about what’s going to happen, he’ll get... strange. Strange enough his fellow doctor would call the whole thing off. “[say]Now that’s not one I get often.[/say]” A warm smile quirks towards Isla, Nate’s arms opening wide and holding her tight when she leans in to hug him.

Falling into step behind Isla, Nate let’s a warm smile invade his tone. “[say]That is lucky. I thought I might have to sit and wait around for you to get your hands on me.[/say]” No sooner do they reach the recovery room than he’s stepping around his surgeon for the night to search for a vase and settling on the first thing he finds instead, a dusty pitcher.

Setting up the room is something he can do in his sleep, even if he does have to search for supplies every now and then. “[say]So are you excited to get your hands on me?[/say]” Nate asks after a beat of silent work, his eyes flicking up to take in Isla.

RE: a little place called trust - Isla - 07-31-2021

[say]"I don't believe you one bit,"[/say] Isla informs Nate with a sunny smile, all the while ushering him into the recovery room. Where he finds the pitcher is beyond her, honestly, but she doesn't try to understand it, busy ensuring the bed is set up as it should be and there's enough in the way of equipment and tools should she need them whilst he's coming around from the surgery. Not that he'll be under anaesthetic. Or unconscious at all.

[say]"Well, we'd better get a move on, else an emergency could come up and beat you to it."[/say] She grins to him. [say]"Do you want a gown?"[/say] Given the nature of the procedure, she's not sure whether Nate would feel more comfortable in his current outfit or if he'd prefer to change into something more official.

Is she excited, though? The flash of her eyes as she smiles should tell him all he knows about that, and she pats a stool that she's pulled out towards the centre of the room. [say]"Ready for a haircut? I'll make sure you look fashionable, obviously."[/say]

RE: a little place called trust - Nate - 08-04-2021

“[say]I’m the only emergency right now.[/say]” Nate insists with a huff, slanting a grin right back at her. “[say]I’m fine with what I’ve got on.[/say]” His hand comes up to tug at his shirt, where the shoulders are just a touch too tight to really be his. “[say]Besides, the gowns gimme the willies.[/say]” He laughs.

A deep sigh rolls across his shoulders as Nate’s hands lift to push through his hair, the dark wild curls. “[say]I’m as ready as I’ll ever be Isla.[/say]” Hands drop down to his sides again, Nate dropping heavily into the stool and slouching as much as possible to make it as easy as possible on her.

“[say]It’s been a while since I’ve done this yknow. The haircut, not the brain surgery.[/say]” Is he too casual? Too cavalier about all of this? He’s not sure which way to push his mood anymore, not sure if it’s more reassuring to be eager or indifferent.

RE: a little place called trust - Isla - 08-04-2021

[say]"If you insist,"[/say] Isla murmurs with a grin, having moved to a drawer to get a pair of scissors and a scalpel blade that she might give his curls the proper attention ready for surgery. (The blade is for shaving, not cutting, to be clear). [say]"I don't much like the gowns either. And I suppose you're right - since you're here now, you're the only emergency I will have time for in the foreseeable future."[/say]

Approaching the stool once more, she smiles gratefully as Nate leans down for her, looking over him now with a physician's eye to decide which side is best for the surgery she's looking to perform. [say]"Is that so?"[/say] She raises her eyebrows as he speaks again, though not for the first time there's a little bit of hesitation that sinks in the pit of her stomach.

[say]"You can change your mind about this, you know,"[/say] Isla says softly, searching out Nate's eyes since they're practically at the same level now. [say]"I can find someone else if you're not sure. I don't want you to get stuck doing something just because it might be a bit of research for me."[/say]

RE: a little place called trust - Nate - 08-07-2021

A hum buzzes between Nate's teeth as he nods gently, trying to not disrupt Isla's inspection of his head. "[say]Last time was uh... when I thought I was gonna join the army.[/say]" He snorts, his face pinching in a half-hearted cringe. "[say]The more things change, huh?[/say]"

“[say]Isla,[/say]” hands come up to grab hers, fingers mindful of the razor, “[say]if I wanted to change my mind, I would change my mind.[/say]” Nate's tongue pokes out between the curves of his grin. “[say]You couldn’t make me if you tried. So don’t worry.[/say]” He moves to press a soothing kiss to her forehead, an extra assurance before he closes his eyes and ducks down again, preparing himself for the sacrifice of his dark locks.

They won't be opening again until they move into the operating room proper, Nate's hand lifting and falling over and over as he resists the urge to touch his newly shorn head.

RE: a little place called trust - Isla - 08-07-2021

The reassurance isn't something Isla realises she needs, but it feels good as Nate takes her hands, as he tells her - again - that he's alright to do this. Smiling at the kiss he presses to her forehead, she squeezes his hands back (also being careful of the razor) and nods to him. [say]"Alright,"[/say] she murmurs, straightening up a bit to get to work. [say]"Thank you, Nate."[/say] For doing this, for letting her double check.

[say]"The army, huh?"[/say] she murmurs as she moves to snip and shave at one side of his dark hair; he'll be left with a rather fetching style that some Outlanders might describe as punk, not that Isla has any idea. [say]"We'd have made quite the pair even then. You could be a soldier, I'd be your field medic."[/say]

The preparation is complete all too soon, and then it's off and into the operating room. Isla sets Nate up to lay down on his side, keeping his head propped up and still. [say]"I usually wear a surgical mask in these circumstances, but let me know if you'd prefer me to keep it off."[/say] She smiles, drawing up beside him. [say]"I'll describe everything to you as best I can,"[/say] she tells him. [say]"It's vital that you don't turn your head though, okay? Get comfy and let me know when you're ready."[/say]

RE: a little place called trust - Nate - 08-09-2021

A single shoulder lifts in a shrug, the thanks rolling uncomfortably off his back. “[say]I’d make a shitty soldier.[/say]” He laughs, clinging to the easier words instead of dwelling. “[say]Don’t like listenin’ t’orders, especially not t’die in some jungle.[/say]” Nate frowns around the laugh that tries to bubble out of his chest, his jaw clenching to cut it off completely. He’d just told Isla he was fine, and he was.

Still, just to be safe, his lips don’t open again until his eyes do, the bright blue shifting to find the doctor while he settles. “[say]Don’t mind either way.[/say]” He murmurs about the mask. “[say]I’ll describe anything I feel too.[/say]” Nate shifted one last time before stilling, letting out the last of the breath sitting in his chest. “[say]M’ready.[/say]”

RE: a little place called trust - Isla - 08-09-2021

[say]"Maybe you'd make a better sergeant then,"[/say] Isla suggests with a smirk, finishing the last of her preparations and finally standing beside Nate, her tools at hand, her face maskless. [say]"Easier to chat to you without having a muffled voice,"[/say] she remarks with a playful wink, not that she's sure how much of it he'll see. But then he's telling her he's ready, and with a deep breath that she absolutely doesn't need, Isla nods.

Using a traditional scalpel rather than the blades on her fingers for this part, she makes a smooth incision around where she plans to cut into the bone, careful (obviously) to be as symmetrical as possible that it might be a cosmetically pleasing scar. [say]"Alright,"[/say] she murmurs, zoning into the procedure. [say]"I've made the incisions to your scalp, now I'm just revealing the skull. I imagine it will be quite tough to get through, given what we're made of. How are your sensors holding up?"[/say]

RE: a little place called trust - Nate - 08-11-2021

“[say]Works for me.[/say]” Nate murmurs softly, trying to move as little as possible. His eyes slip closed while Isla moves around him, as she makes that first incision. It’s still a strange sensation, feeling no pain when there should be some, when there’s a part of him opening up that’s never supposed to see the light of day. It’s the feeling he’s been chasing, a sound rumbling low in his throat.

“[say]They’ve been angrier with me.[/say]” He tries to press the laugh out in his tone instead of letting it slip out the usual way, still careful to not move. “[say]Pretty sure I broke somethin’ last season, y’shoulda heard ‘em then.[/say]” This time, his lips tug back in a sharp smile, his eyes opening and focusing on the far wall. His tongue slips out to wet his lips, smoothing the next words. “[say]So how’re y’gonna crack it open?[/say]”

RE: a little place called trust - Isla - 08-11-2021

[say]"Oh? What did you do to cause that?"[/say] Isla wonders of him breaking something. [say]"I have never really injured myself as an Ascended, I don't think. I can only experience it second-hand."[/say] Not strictly true, but the part of Isla that remembers what it was like to die out there in Longnight with the monster ravaging her systems is very much locked away. And she doesn't plan to open that box up again any time soon.

[say]"Well,"[/say] she says of cracking his skull open, [say]"I had considered using brute force, or biting it open with my teeth, but in the end I settled on a more medical route."[/say] AKA OMG Johnny don't ask about the details I have no idea how neurosurgery works lmao. Explaining the tOoLs she's using and helpfully holding them into Nate's eyeline so he might have a peek, Isla falls silent, then, while she concentrates and operates.

Time passes, though if one was to ask the medic how long, she'd be unable to say. Only when she has managed to part the section of Nate's skull from his brain does she finally exhale, nodding and then realising he can't see it. [say]"I'm in."[/say]

RE: a little place called trust - Nate - 08-21-2021

"[say]I uh... I tripped over Wessex, actually. Something like a... unstoppable force, meeting an immovable object, except I was very much stoppable.[/say]" There's a rumble in his throat as he swallows down his laugh, focused on keeping utterly still. "[say]We got me fixed up though, obviously.[/say]"

Some small noise of approval leaves Nate when Isla says they're going to go the medical route, a few questions posed about the tools she shows him, though it's quite transparently a bid for just a moment's more time. He just needs this last moment to fully steady himself, to breathe out and close his eyes and focus on the strange, not quite there sensation of his head being opened up.

An exhale leaves Isla, prompting one from Nate as well, his tongue poking out between his lips as his eyes flutter open again. It's almost as if he expects some great change to have occurred, almost like he's disappointed that it hasn't. "[say]You know, there's a real small group of people who've gotten to say that about me.[/say]" He jokes easily. "[say]Is it... what you expected?[/say]"

RE: a little place called trust - Isla - 08-23-2021

[say]"You tripped over Wessex,"[/say] Isla repeats, a smile very much audible in her voice. [say]"I can see how that might cause quite a nasty break, yes. I'm glad you're feeling better. Or at least, I didn't notice you limping when we were walking around."[/say] Only there's no real time for small-talk any more - not the kind that revolves around places outside of the operating room, anyway, and Isla is consumed by what she sees.

[say]"Well I do feel privileged,"[/say] she murmurs, sounding awed and distracted - and if only Nate could see, he'd notice that she's strangely illuminated by what counts, these days, as his brain. [say]"It's like nothing I could have imagined. It's better,"[/say] she whispers, trying to take a closer look. Whilst the shape is the same as any brain (obviously, for it to fit into a skull), the think-tank of the Ascended is a beautiful circuitry of fibre optics, protected by a membrane that Isla thinks would be gooey to the touch (it's a medical term).

[say]"Nate, could you... Would you be able to recite a multiplication table for me? Your choice of number."[/say]