Court of the Fallen
[SEASONAL EVENT] A Palmer for Long Night - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: [SEASONAL EVENT] A Palmer for Long Night (/showthread.php?tid=608)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

[SEASONAL EVENT] A Palmer for Long Night - Phoebe - 02-14-2019

After being absolutely terrified by the sounds she had heard in the woods, Phoebe was quick to gather her things and head to the Palmer house. She had fortunately run into Emmett along the way, who was on his way to get her. Of course he wasn't surprised about the scary thing she heard - scary things happened before Long Night. But she still felt much better having him walk her to his family's home.

She had brought with the necessities she would need personally for the week, as well as the supplies she had gathered. It was the least she could do for the Palmer's hospitality. As Emmett had warned they were indeed a loud bunch, but Phoebe was perfectly at ease with them. Of course when the glowing starry fish showed up with the Luxere, almost following Phoebe in before deciding to stay outside, she had to explain the gift Safrin herself had sent. Hopefully for a family that worshipped Vi, that would be something that worked in her favor with them.

She did take a moment before going to sleep that night to pray and thank Safrin for sending the little glowy fish. The goddess's goodness was well appreciated.

RE: [SEASONAL EVENT] A Palmer for Long Night - Emmett - 02-14-2019

Emmett had been glad to see Phoebe. In the last few days since he'd helped her set up her clinic he'd been worried about her, after seeing how poorly provided for her space had been. In comparison he had made sure the cottage was very prepared for her arrival. Several deals had been made with siblings to ensure Phoebe had a room of her own (which sparked plenty of comments about whether he'd be joining her, which he dodged with expert precision) and he'd managed to make it so his family wouldn't bother her too much on the first night.

They still loudly said hello, the younger children cooing at the fish following her (and the older ones wondering if it would taste like the fish from the Oasis, the connection to Vi unimportant in the face of food). His parents only smiled and whispered to each other as they saw her, and Emmett was sure he heard the word 'wedding'. He just hoped Phoebe hadn't heard.

He got her up to her room then after saying goodnight left her, thinking she probably wanted to be by herself. After several hours had gone by (because in Longnight, there was no counting nights and days) he decided to bring her up a cup of tea and see how she was. Gently, softly, he knocked on the door and cracked it open just so she could hear his voice.

[say]"Are y'decent, Bee? I got you some tea."[/say]

RE: [SEASONAL EVENT] A Palmer for Long Night - Random Event - 02-14-2019

Watching.

Waiting.

The fish...the deer...it kept them back, but light only travels so far and the snow is thick and falling in waves that dampen the light.

The edge closer and leave no footprints. They do no exhale puffs of steam and their eyes do not blink against the chill, for they have none.

They listen.

The watch.

They wait.

RE: [SEASONAL EVENT] A Palmer for Long Night - Phoebe - 02-14-2019

Emmett would find Phoebe awake, but definitely far from at ease. She really had been shaken up by what she had heard in the woods, but had confidence in Safrin’s words. The Palmer house was a good place for her to be. The prolonged darkness, where there was really no sense of time, and the boarded up windows and doors smeared with whatever concoction his mother though warded off monsters, didn’t help matters. It felt unnatural and bothered her deeply, like she was trapped in a cave. Instinctively she wanted to light a bunch of candles but knew that doing so would attract the very things the house had been fortified against.

She could only pray that Safrin would watch over this home of Vi worshippers and see the fortifications hold.

The midwife glanced over at Emmett with a little smile. [say]”That is very kind of you, thank you.”[/say] she said softly. She was sitting on the bed, having pulled out a book to read to try and forget about the unnerving things going on outside around them. [say]”I am alright I suppose. How are you?”[/say]

RE: [SEASONAL EVENT] A Palmer for Long Night - Emmett - 02-15-2019

Emmett pushed open the door and came to sit on the edge of Phoebe's bed, handing her the cup of tea. He found himself smiling at her, the way she looked so comfy and sweet with bedhead and sheets tucked around her. It was cosy, homely; as if she belonged in his home and his life.

[say]"I'm fine, I'm fine. I'm used t'this."[/say] He said with a shrug. Honestly, he was having a pretty good time. His crush friend was here and his family, the LongNight games were in effect and he'd had a break from work on the farm. It was clear Phoebe was less alright, the distress on her face visible even under the persona she was trying to project.

But he didn't want to call attention to that though, worried she might be conscious of it. Politely, he looked down at her book. [say]"How're y'finding that? What's it on?"[/say]

RE: [SEASONAL EVENT] A Palmer for Long Night - Phoebe - 02-15-2019

She took the cup with a quiet 'thank you' holding it in both hands. She wasn't cold but the warmth of the cup was comforting. For a moment she could pretend things were normal. It wasn't Long Night, just well before dawn. Nothing yet to do, no errands to be done yet in tbe last few pitch black hours of night before the sun rise. Just enjoying the stillness before a hectic day, comfortable in bed with...

Her cheeks flushed and she forced the thought away. That's not what any of this was.

[say]"I wonder if I'll ever get used to it."[/say] she said quietly. Phoebe lifted the cup to her lips and took a sip. [say]"Back where I came from, we were at war with other kingdoms all the time. So sometimes we had to hide like this, stay quiet...but it was still people attacking."[/say] Not monsters. Just scary people, and scary people were always around. They didn't solely exist in a week of terror.

Phoebe glanced down at the book and smiled a bit. [say]"It's my own notes actually. Re-writing everything I know about midwifery to keep my knowledge at my fingertips."[/say] she said. Her handwriting was well-practiced, delicate, and elegant. Certainly not the hand of a common girl like she claimed to be.

He didn't like to think of Phoebe being in a war, the girl seeming so delicate and soft that the surroundings of a turmoil felt almost perverse to associate with her. Emmett sighed and leaned forward, putting a hand on her knee. [say]"You're real safe here. I promise. We've done this a million times."[/say]

Looking at her hands holding the book, he smiled. Phoebe's dedication to her craft was one of the most wonderful things about her, he thought. He'd always valued a good work ethic, especially when the work was something as valuable as Phoebe's. [say]"Oh. That's good. I got handwriting like a drunk chicken with ink on it's feet, so mine'd be rubbish."[/say] With a little laugh he shifted himself a bit further onto the bed, still only by Phoebe's feet.

[say]"Downstairs they're uh..."[/say] Emmett smiled and rubbed his mouth. [say]"They're all sayin' you're pretty. They aren't wrong."[/say] What they were really saying was 'your girlfriend is pretty' despite his protests. But he wasn't going to tell her that part. [say]"I think they like you. N' y'fish. Whatever that's for."[/say]

Phoebe smiled a little, feeling her heart begin to race again when he put his hand on her knee. It was a famikisr touch, something that she should have considered far too forward considering they were sitting on a bed...but she didn't. It made her a little nervous but in a pleasant way...which was a very odd sensation really. [say]"I know I am. The goddess Safrin told me this was a good place for me to be when I spoke to her earlier this week. I really do appreciateyour family's hospitality."[/say] she said. And she said so without pomp or circumstance that others might've if they'd encountered a deity. Safrin wanted to be known, and she wanted those like her known. It needed to be normalized that they were interacting with people, even if it was a grand experience.

Phoebe giggled a bit at his description of his handwriting. [say]"Oh mine used to be awful. But it was one of the things I could control to best the snotty girls at finishing school. It made them so mad...it was really petty of me but they deserved it."[/say] she said with a grin. As he pulled himsel further onto the bed she curled her legs under her so he would have more space to sit, setting the book of notes aside for the time being.

Her face turned bright red at what his family was saying though...and that he agreed. [say]"R-really?"[/say] she said, looking down, a little embarrassed. But...that meant they liked her so far right? Well...it didn't really matter...she was just a guest it wasn't like her and Emmett were...oh gosh why did she keep thinking like this?! He was just being nice. That's all. [say]"The fish? Oh it was sent by Safrin, couldn't you tell by the stars?"[/say] she said and smiled. [say]"She is connected to Vi, I would've thought you knew her. But the fish is a blessing to help ward off the monsters over Long Night."[/say]

[say]"Safrin knows about our lil cottage?"[/say] Emmett asked with a little laugh, wondering if the grand lady of the stars herself had seen him in his underwear in his room. He'd never been to a shrine, never spoken to a God; didn't know what it would look or feel like.

He smiled as Phoebe spoke about her handwriting, having learned to read and write himself mainly to feel his family be taken seriously at the markets. If there was one thing Emmett understood it was trying to fit in with the upper classes.

Oh, the stars. Emmett supposed that made sense and felt a little foolish for not knowing. Hopefully Phoebe wouldn't judge him as stupid for not making the connection. [say]"We managed okay without a magic fish before, but I'm glad for it if it makes you feel better. "[/say]

Emmett was about to say something else when there was a little knock at the door. One of his sisters, about 11, peeked in holding two plates of toast. "Ma said to bring this up for you... and your giiiiiirlfrrriiieeendddd."

Immediately he flushed bright red and marched to the door, taking the plates and sitting down after passing one to Phoebe. [say]"Ignore that.
"[/say]

RE: [SEASONAL EVENT] A Palmer for Long Night - Random Event - 02-15-2019

Branches against baseboards (nails?). The cottage groans (what does it know, that you don't?). The snow settles, the deer do not.

A wind, viscous and full of laughter rouses the dust and the falling flakes. A ministorm the luxere cannot see through. Their light ebbs momentarily, the sheen of the fish does not.

They are closer now. Ravished. Listening. The heartbeats of the young lovers make such a wonderous dinner bell.

Phoebe smiled and nodded. [say]”I wouldn’t be surprised if she is pleased that people still worship Vi like you do. She seemed pleased to hear I would be here.”[/say] she said. He had mentioned once before some hesitancy around the deities…at least insofar as he seemed concerned. She hoped to maybe build his confidence a little, to know that a goddess thought well of him and his family. At least, she thought it would be a compliment.

She smiled a little. [say]”It does. It’s nice to know I was thought of when she decided to send such a blessing…and I hope it helps everyone here too.”[/say] she said. Plus the little fishy was cute. She wished it could stay with her always but she had a feeling that once Long Night was over, it would leave just as mysteriously as it had appeared. For now she would appreciate the comfort knowing it was out guarding the house with the Luxere brought.

The blonde startled a little at the knock, but smiled when one of his sisters poked her head in…but quickly she was blushing a deep red. Hopefully the low light would help hide it. Phoebe set her tea down and quietly thanked him for the toast. [say]”Your…girlfriend…is that what you told them I am?”[/say] she asked softly, watching his expression.

But then the sound of…something (trees her logical brain told her, something much more sinister her anxiety told her) scratching against the house. Then the terrifying sound of laughter alongside a strong gust of wind. Her heart raced, fear twisting her expression to a frown as she glanced towards boarded up windows. Instinctively her hand reached out to take Emmett’s, teeth worrying her lip. She could explain away the scratching, but laughter? Something was out there.

[say]"Maybe she should pop around for tea sometime."[/say] Emmett said with a lopsided grin, unsure what the heck his parents would even say if he showed up with a Goddess in tow for a drink.

Emmett's expression was one of pure embarrassment, and he shook his head. [say]"I absolutely did not tell them that, Bee."[/say] Then he worried it might sound like he didn't like the idea of Phoebe being his girlfriend (where in fact he very much liked the idea) and added: [say]"N-Not that that wouldn't be good. But you're not, so I didn't say that. I didn't lie about it. Because you're not. But--"[/say]

He was cut off by a strange sound outside the window and Phoebe taking his hand. Emmett looked to the window, listening intently for a moment; it seemed he didn't hear what he was listening out for because he shrugged and after looking at Phoebe for a moment, moved to sit beside her at the top of the bed. Gently, he wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

[say]"Don' be scared. You're safe here."[/say]

She smiled with a little laugh at the image of Safrin just showing up at his doorstep to have tea. [say]”That isn’t quite how it works.”[/say] she said with a grin. [say]”But maybe you should pray to her and Vi both. It certainly wouldn’t hurt.”[/say] she suggested. They prayed to Vi because he was the god of life, to help their plants grow. But Safrin was also involved in matters of life and certainly her aid would be equally useful to them.

”I absolutely did not tell them that, Bee.”

She was a bit taken aback by how…forceful and adamant he was about that. Phoebe bit her lip and glanced down at the blankets that covered her legs. [say]”Oh…”[/say] she said softly, feeling a bit…hurt actually. Really hurt actually. So all those thoughts she had really were nonsense…of course she had told herself that repeatedly but she still hoped that she was wrong. But then he started to…re-explain himself? Big brown eyes glanced up at him, a small frown still curving her lips, the hint of hurt and sadness still clear in her eyes. Why was he trying to explain himself? Of course, she would never get to hear his explanation in full. Long Night wasn’t really concerned with her budding romantic thoughts and the emotional turmoil it was causing her.

Maybe it was uncouth. Maybe it was stupid. Maybe anyone that happened to walk in would get ideas. But frankly, in that moment, Phoebe could not have cared less. She pressed against his side, turning her face away from the window in an effort to hide, closed eyes pressed into the hollow between his shoulder neck.

Don’t be scared? She was safe here? Safrin had seemed sure that his home was a good place to be, but it didn’t stop the noises outside from terrifying her. [say]”I hope you’re right.”[/say] she whispered against his chest, feeling tense and worrisome… though the way he held her did help a bit. A lot. Very much a lot.

Emmett held Phoebe to his chest, his arms going around her without thought. Under his breath he mumbled comforts against the top of her head, not even thinking about the gesture; it just felt right. He did notice, with a small smile, that her hair smelled nice, but he felt a little guilty to be making that observation as if it wasn't his to make.

[say]"I am. Y'know, I'm not super smart, but I know some things. And I know how LongNight works. You hear a lot of noises, but not much ever happens on the inside. Y'just wait. It'll be over 'fore you even know it."[/say] It had nearly always been his experience that when the first light after the night came, he had never expected it, thinking there was longer to go.

It was very cosy, cuddled with Phoebe on the bed. Emmett couldn't help the flush in his cheeks or the smile on his face, or the slight heat in his belly (which he carefully got rid of by thinking very hard about crops). He gave her a squeeze and looked up to the ceiling. [say]"I'm glad y'not in the clinic, though. You'd be scared there. Here you got the house and me and alla it."[/say]