Court of the Fallen
(SE) i think we're haunted - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: (SE) i think we're haunted (/showthread.php?tid=6219)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

(SE) i think we're haunted - Sunjata - 09-09-2021

He’s rationalized it by claiming it’s soul searching, to come back to Torchline for a moment, to retrieve a few more things from the house and to collect a few more of Haai’s things to bring to King’s End. He’s found a few feathers, a few of her iridescent ones left behind, not entirely sure where he’s heading after until he ends up there.

It’s the port, about midday, the pale Deepfrost sun beating down overhead when he slips into a shop with his three feathers in hand. And what he asks of the merchant is easy, a wall decoration of sorts that he can take with him back to the house he and Nate had built, an attempt at making a memorial. The merchant says it shouldn’t take long and Sunjata doesn’t want to stray too far away, so he slips out, searching the rest of the shops for blankets and supplies for the chill of Deepfrost now that he’s living in a place already dusted with snow.

RE: (SE) i think we're haunted - Maeve - 09-11-2021

Sunjata isn't the only one who is doing a bit of soul searching. It's been a little over a week since she last heard from Locke. The Attuned simply disappeared without a trace. It was hard not to notice when he'd been practically living with her, but she's suddenly alone all over again, but this time with a baby. Her plate is overflowing and her concerns are mounting, but there is nothing to be done for it except keep moving forward despite the unease in her stomach and the way her heart aches all over again. Where did he go? The fact that he simply left makes no sense to her. Something must have happened, but she doesn't even know where to begin with that line of thought.

She's caught in this whirlwind of thought and emotion as she heads into the port. Edmund is wrapped in a sling, cradled to her chest, blue eyes wide as he's overwhelmed with sound of a bustling market. Torchers shift out of her way as she walks, offering polite hello's and nods of their heads which she easily returns despite the knot in her belly. Adjusting her basket on her arm, Maeve sees a familiar figure she's not expecting, knowing him to have already left Torchline for good. Yet here he is. How do they always seem to find each other when their hearts are hurting like this?

Maeve clears her throat, trying her best to put on a smile that doesn't quite spark a light in the jade of her eyes, [say]"Jata."[/say] She calls out in an attempt to get his attention, quickening her steps just enough so she might reach out to lightly catch his arm with her free hand.

RE: (SE) i think we're haunted - Sunjata - 09-12-2021

He sets off for a space where he can find some blankets, some woven things to help keep the chill at bay, to keep along the sides of the couches and the ends of the beds, some amount of warmth that can easily be folded and put away during the warmer summer months. It’s the only thing he has going on in his mind right now, so much so that he doesn’t even hear when Maeve calls his name, still preparing to slip through the crowd until he feels the light touch on his arm.

He stills almost immediately, a narrowed gaze slipping back toward her before he realizes who it is. And while the gaze doesn’t remain exactly narrow as it had, it certainly still has the cold standoffish touch. “[say]Maeve.[/say]” He says roughly, turning to face her, his steel gaze slipping toward the baby strapped to her front before it lifts to her face again.

He’s picked up more scars since they’d last seen one another. The compass tattoos split down the middle with a raised scar of pink, missing most of their northern points. And alongside that, the roughest look of a patch of pink skin along his chest that pokes out from under his shirt. He doesn’t say anything else to her, waiting instead to hear what she has to say.

RE: (SE) i think we're haunted - Maeve - 09-12-2021

The gaze he locks on her doesn't make her hesitate. Grey eyes just as piercing as they've always been. Maeve looks him over, drinking in every change and detail, noting the new scars and how haggard he seems. Concern tugs on her features, twisting her face into something softer even as her brows draw together and her free hand presses against Edmund's back as he babbles softly when Jata looks at him. Maeve draws her hand back after giving his arm a gentle squeeze, [say]"I didn't now you were still around. I thought you had moved."[/say]

Their house was sitting empty up on the cliff and Maeve had gone by a few times with an intention to see him before he left. Despite everything that happened she liked to think they were still friends. Even with the bumps on the road. Maeve draws her bottom lip between her teeth, catching Edmund's hand as he starts to wave it about, brushing her thumb across the back of his hand and the unblemished skin there.

She's back to her petite size from before. No more swell to her belly or weight in her face, the extra having easily dissipated after the birth of her baby, but that tiredness is still clear in the dark circles beneath her eyes. [say]"How are you..?"[/say] A loaded question. A very loaded question and one that they both hate bringing up every time they run into each other.

RE: (SE) i think we're haunted - Sunjata - 09-13-2021

Her face softens and Sunjata doesn’t make any attempt to change his, not as he scans her and the baby and returns his gaze to her face – offering his acknowledgement that she’s stopped him in the middle of the Port searching for supplies. “[say]We did move.[/say]” Sunjata says bluntly, a shoulder shrugging before he’s continuing. “[say]Just came back to have a few things made for Deepfrost and LongNight.[/say]” And to figure out what the fuck was going on, but that’s a subject that feels too barbed and sharp to bring up yet.

So he doesn’t.

How is he? Well, it certainly is a loaded question. Her dark circles are matched by his own dark circles as his gaze lifts and looks past her, down the alley as if he’s looking for something or someone, before it drops back to Maeve and Edmund. “[say]About as good as I always am.[/say]” He offers, hands withdrawing to fold across his chest. “[say]Congratulations.[/say]” He adds, nodding to the child babbling against his mother’s chest.

RE: (SE) i think we're haunted - Maeve - 09-15-2021

He doesn't soften for her and she doesn't really expect him to. Not anymore. Even if there is that lingering feeling of before. Those moments where it felt like they were more than they ever could be. She didn't want it really. Not with him. A desire for a partner and a family was merely rekindled because of their time together. Maeve sighed softly, rubbing Edmund's back as he started to fidget a bit, kicking his legs and waving his little fist in the air. [say]"I see... Well, I'm glad that I got to see you. I didn't get to say goodbye."[/say] He likely didn't care and she should know better, but they're friends. They were before.

His eyes shift between her and Edmund, slipping over her shoulder to linger there before finally settling back on her all over again and Maeve resists the urge to look behind her, checking to see if anyone is lingering too close to them. No one is. They seem to avoid them, knowing better than to press into the Nightshade and the Flood's space, giving them a wide berth. The answer doesn't surprise her. It never does coming from him. Sunjata, a man whose life was one tragedy after another, drowning in the flood that he was meant to bring with him. [say]"A lot of that going around these days."[/say] She murmurs, thoughts flickering to Locke, feeling that surge of pain all over again.

This must have been how he felt without Nate. Lost, alone, fucking drowning. Would she likely move on? At some point, maybe, but a part of her would always love him. Here or not. He pulls her from her thoughts with his offered congratulations on the birth of her son. Maeve snaps her eyes up to him, managing a small smile, catching Edmund's hand in hers. [say]"Thank you... Jata, this is Edmund. Edmund, this is beastie."[/say]

RE: (SE) i think we're haunted - Sunjata - 09-18-2021

His gaze lingers on her a moment longer before he nods to her words, working his jaw a moment before he takes a slow inhale. “[say]We left in a rush. Had a lot to build before the snow hit.[/say]” Because it hadn’t been good timing initially, but they needed it done, and they’d done their best to get it functional. And it worked, even if these days the house was visibly, emotionally, and physically empty of a huge part of their life.

He glances around but when his eyes land back on Maeve he nods to her comment, unsure how or if he even wants to say it aloud. Last time he wasn’t able to, each time his voice cracking a fraction harder than the time before. But the void is palpable and it’s a dull ache on the back of his mind as he focuses on Maeve to try and distract from sinking his fingers deeper into the open wound of his heart.

He leans in slightly, casting a glance over the child again before the quiet withdrawn rumble is offered. “[say]Hello Edmund.[/say]” His voice is accented and thick, and he doesn’t have much else to say, moving to slip back into his space again as the bustle of the port moves around them again.

RE: (SE) i think we're haunted - Maeve - 09-18-2021

It's a slip. She doesn't know where they went, but it was somewhere with snow. This was likely more information than others have gotten and Maeve knows better than to push for more. [say]"Got it built, though?"[/say] She hopes he did. For their sake. They needed a home. A new place to settle. He deserves it. Maeve understands that empty feeling and were it not for the fact that she had Aidon or her girls she'd likely be much worse than she is now.

Maeve doesn't push here either. Last time they got in a fight on the beach. This time she wants to keep it easy. Peaceful. As much peace as they can find in these moments in between tragedies. Her eyes look him over, jade meeting slate and she sees the pain there, swimming in his irises. There is plenty of distraction to be had however in the form of her son.

Sunjata leans in, offering his greeting and Edmund babbles in response, kicking and cooing as he waves his free hand wildly. Maeve can't help the soft laugh that bubbles up in her throat as Edmund strains in his sling, using one tiny hand to get a grip on Sunjata's shirt before he can pull back fully, clinging onto him. Her eyes widen and she reaches forward, attempting to release his grip from Jata's shirt, but Edmund isn't having it. His face screws up and she knows he'll start crying if she doesn't stop. As soon as she lets go of his hand, he relaxes all over again, babbling happily.

“[say]We did.[/say]” He offers, cutting himself off from adding ‘slept there two days before we both went and got hurt again’ before it has a chance to slip from his tongue. “[say]It’s nice.[/say]” He says instead, quietly, even if the home was empty, even if he was empty now.

But he leans in to inspect Edmund before he’s being grabbed and stilled by the tiny little hand of the child, watching with brows pinched together, sighing quietly when the child’s more content with having his hand gripped onto Sunjata’s shirt than he is content with his mother. Sunjata’s shoulders droop and he works his jaw, remaining in the space and letting his exhausted gaze linger on the child’s face. “[say]Well, what are you here for?[/say]” Since it seems like he’s not going anywhere soon.

RE: (SE) i think we're haunted - Maeve - 09-18-2021

[say]"I'm glad to hear it. That you're getting settled."[/say] As settled as someone like him can be. Which clearly, isn't all that settled, but they're trying. It's all that can be said for it. Maeve licks her lips, quiet for a moment as Sunjata leans in only to be seized by Edmund, unable to straighten back up to his full height. Which puts them at an impasse. She needs to shop and he does too, but they aren't getting anywhere with him still holding onto Sunjata's shirt.

Edmund looks up at him with wide blue eyes, the faintest flecks of gray in them, reminiscent of the same one in his mother's eyes, black curls thick and falling across his forehead. He gives him a gummy smile, cooing and babbling as he kicks his legs, holding on tightly to the Flood's person. [say]"I'm getting some things for our home. His nursery. We... I haven't been able to finish it yet."[/say] They were working on it together, but Locke was gone and she was left to do it herself while taking care of Torchline. Just as he had been.

Finally, Maeve sighs, getting Edmund out of the sling and settling him in Sunjata's arms. [say]"Support his back. He can hold up his head on his own now."[/say] Edmund fusses at first, having to loose his grip on Sunjata, but as soon as he's in the Flood's arms he settles. A small hand reaching for the loose strands of hair that fall towards Sunjata's forehead. [say]"He would have screamed if I tried to pull him away. I think he-"[/say] She pauses, taking a deep breath, [say]"I think he misses Locke... And I don't know how to help him understand that he's gone."[/say]

He’s glad too, even if it isn’t exactly the kind of settling he had hoped he’d have. But for the moment, he’s trapped, held there by a tiny little hand he could easily rip himself out of. But it isn’t the kids fault and to be honest he’s tired of just the thought of the child crying, even if he could immediately disappear into nothing and get away from it. It was still a hassle and he works his jaw as Edmund’s gaze lifts, eyes that are a surprising blue with the flickers of grey that have Sunjata’s brows remaining pinched.

Then suddenly, she’s adjusting him, slipping the child into Sunjata’s arms even as he tenses up. “[say]I – uh, Maeve–[/say]” He begins, stuttering awkwardly as his hands lift to hold onto the child and the frown crosses his face as the tiny balled up fist reaches up to try and latch onto a few stray hairs across his forehead. His frown only deepens but he does exactly as is told, stiff as a board, when his gaze finally tears away from Edmund to Maeve.

There’s another sigh that leaves him when he looks back down to Edmund, cradling the child as he straightens up, brows pinched just as much as they were before. “[say]Well, he’s still young and figuring things out. He’ll figure it out.[/say]” His words are stumbled and slip from his tongue awkwardly, but he finds it doesn't matter much anyway. Nothing he could say would fix it or make it better.

RE: (SE) i think we're haunted - Maeve - 09-19-2021

It doesn't occur to her that he might still think Edmund to be his, but she knows that he has her mother's eyes. Her eyes used to be blue when she was a baby. That's what she was could tell from pictures and her mother's eyes were the same blue. His might change as he grows, but for now they are that icy blue with the same flecks of grey as her own. Maeve sighs softly in relief at having her arms free and Edmund only squirms for a moment longer before he's dropping his head against Sunjata's chest. His whole body lifts with a heavy sigh and then he's close to going limp, resting his head on his shoulder as he curls his fingers back into his shirt, [say]"I'm just scared he'll think it was because of him when he grows up, you know?"[/say]

Maeve admits softly, starting to meander slowly through the market, stopping occasionally to examine the wares and pick up a few things to turn over in her hands. [say]"You're a natural, by the way."[/say] She says of him holding Edmund, the babe already getting drowsy simply resting against his large chest, listening to his even heart beat and only occasionally babbling.

RE: (SE) i think we're haunted - Sunjata - 09-19-2021

The boy sinks into his arms and Sunjata sighs again, readjusting his arms around the child, the sleeves of his shirt riding up and with the way Edmund is resting against his chest now, it pulls at the collar of his shirt to show more wounds that span down his chest. “[say]Why would he? He doesn’t have to know.[/say]” Sunjata offers as he tries to focus on both not dropping the child and following Maeve as she just simply begins to step away.

It isn’t really how he’d planned his day to go. “[say]Make up some story about how he went off on an adventure or something.[/say]” Did it really matter? And if Locke was gone for long enough, there’d be that chance that the boy wouldn’t even remember his father. It’s a fact Sunjata wishes he had when it came between having a father or having none at all.

But anyway, he follows Maeve closely, keeping the child close to his chest as to not drop him. “[say]I skipped this whole part.[/say]” He offers quietly. “[say]I held Mateo once when he was still this age, but, aside from that I don’t… It’s hard.[/say]” He manages to admit, frowning again, staring at the back of Maeve as she stops to examine a few things.

RE: (SE) i think we're haunted - Maeve - 09-19-2021

Watching the Flood with her baby sends another pang through her chest, but she buries it deep, ignoring those dead but ever present feelings for her friend. Her eyes make note of the wounds and she's tempted to ask, but she knows that he went into the desert with Remi, Ronin, and Aurelia. Truthfully, she's curious if he knows where her counterpart went, but he's speaking of other things and her mind is too easily distracted to linger. [say]"They all eventually ask, Jata. Where their mother or father is. I know I did. Whether we want to admit it or not, the thought is always there... 'What did I do? Why did they leave me?'"[/say] Maeve sighs, shaking her head, lips pressing into a thin line for the span of a breath before she looks back to him.

Her shoulders lift in a shrug, acknowledging his suggestion, [say]"Perhaps that would be best. I just don't want to feed him lies. There's enough of that going around without me adding to it."[/say] Maeve considers a set of candles, lifting it to her nose to smell and smiling softly at the faintest scent of lavender. Her favorite.

[say]"It is hard sometimes. Like when he doesn't want to sleep or he won't eat or the times he just seems to cry for no real reason. Those times are hard, but then he looks up at me with those eyes and his little smile like I'm his whole entire world. It's all worth it."[/say] Maeve turns towards him, reaching up with her free hand to brush some of Edmund's curls from his forehead before her eyes flick up to catch his.