Court of the Fallen
Stingers for a cause - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Stingers for a cause (/showthread.php?tid=6242)

Pages: 1 2

Stingers for a cause - Nikolai - 09-19-2021

Nikolai rolled his shoulders, tension bleeding from him as he entered the Atheneum. The place never ceased to set him at ease. Surrounded by books and quiet, the young Ascended was happy as could be. Unfortuanly today, he hadn't come to read. Finding a table he set down is tools for the day. A folder, of paper an old book he was willing to part with, and a large jar.

The objective of the day was to catch a paper wasp. Nikolai had seen a few in the past but he'd never attempted to touch one. He'd generally let them be and they returned in kind.  Eyeing the menagerie of items he'd brought, he tried to figure the best strategy to find and acquire one of the wasps.

[say]"Where to begin..?"[/say] He mused to himself, biting his lip in thought.

RE: Stingers for a cause - Cameron - 09-20-2021

Wandering through the Atheneum to check out the books -- libraries had always been their favorite places -- Cam didn't realize anyone else was there until they heard Nikolai muttering to himself. It took them a minute to locate him among the stacks. Poking their head around a bookcase, they gave him a wave and a quiet [say]"Hi."[/say] They weren't sure if you were supposed to be quiet here, as in a library, so they figured it was best to keep their voice down.

But they forgot about that as they noticed Nikolai's array of tools and the fact that he didn't seem to eb looking for a book. Cam moved closer, curious. [say]"Hey, what are you doing?"[/say]

RE: Stingers for a cause - Nikolai - 09-20-2021

Nikolai looked up as he heard footsteps. Recognizing Cam, he gave them a small smile. [say]"Hey, good to see you again."[/say] Nikolai kept his voice down as well, not wanting to disturb those around them. [say]"I didn't get to congratulate you last time we saw each other, but congrats on Ascending."[/say] A warmer tint came to his smile. [say]"Welcome to the family."[/say]

Eyes returning to the bizarre assortment of items, Nikolai addressed their question. [say]"I'm actually trying to figure out how to catch a paper wasp.  I need one for my quest. Our Lady is helping me to get an ocular upgrade."[/say] Cam was in the Atheneum so perhaps they'd actually appreciate his goal? Eying them curiously, he elaborated. [say]"I'm trying to get an upgrade that will allow me to decipher and read codes and languages. There's so many books here in the Athenum in languages that are nearly lost. They might even have something to do with the Relics too."[/say]

[say]"I want to do my part."[/say] Nikolai explained, trying to suppress the excitement from creeping into his voice. The closer he got to acquiring his upgrade, the more antsy he was becoming.

RE: Stingers for a cause - Cameron - 10-02-2021

[say]"Thanks,"[/say] Cam said. They would have blushed -- thought they were, in fact -- but with fluid instead of blood, could anyone tell? [say]"It's, uh, nice to be here. I mean, I'm really glad I joined."[/say]

Listening to Nikolai's explanation, Cam nodded. [say]"That sounds awesome -- and useful. I wonder how that actually works, like, mechanically -- how can a spell, or an upgrade, let you read a language you've never seen before? I can see decoding, but ..."[/say] Cam trailed off, realizing they were going on a tangent. [say]"OK, so, paper wasp. Want a hand catching one? Back home, if we wanted to catch a wasp or bug, we'd try to sneak up on it, get a cup or jar over it, and then slide a piece of paper under the hole in the jar so it couldn't get out."[/say]

RE: Stingers for a cause - Nikolai - 10-11-2021

Nikola shrugged, [say]"I'm not sure how it'll work either."[/say] He restrained a small grin, pleased that Cam thought the idea was good as well. It was a bit different than some other Ascended's tactical upgrades, but Nikolai was excited about it. It was nice to have that validated by a family member.

The offer for aid was a bit of a surprise but it made Nikolai smile at Cam. [say]"That'd be really awesome, thanks."[/say] He then began to pull out some of the older, untouched books from the shelves. [say]"My best guess is that they're somewhere in the more undisturbed shelves."[/say] If they laid their eggs in books, it was logical that they'd want to do so where there were less people.

It was just as Nikolai was pulling out a particularly dusty book that something the size of a fist flew past. [say]"There's one!" [/say]

RE: Stingers for a cause - Cameron - 10-16-2021

[say]"The Voice will provide, I guess. Still, that's so cool."[/say] Grinning, Cam watched as Nikolai started removing books, then copied him, picking another very dusty shelf and grabbing a book or two. They hadn't found anything by the time a wasp flew out of Nikolai's shelf, though.

[say]"Oh!"[/say] they jumped back, startled, their lips drawing back from their teeth as they remembered a rather important fact. [say]"Uh, probably should have mentioned that I'm kind of scared of wasps. And bees. Stinging insects in general, actually."[/say]

Still, after a moment of initial panic, they recovered. [say]"But I guess I can't really get stung anymore ..."[/say]

Trying to track where the wasp had gone, they reached for the jar.

RE: Stingers for a cause - Nikolai - 10-16-2021

Nikolai glanced at Cam in confusion before losing his composure and snickering. [say]"You're scared of wasps but you're still helping? Aww sibling! How sweet of you!"[/say] He teased, but the gratitude was genuine. [say]"But yah, I don't think getting stung now will really do anything."[/say] At least, he hoped it wouldn't. They were immune to the pain but what about the side effects? Nikolai would keep those concerns to himself though.

Nikolai followed where the bug had gone, trying to pick up the sound of it's wings. He eventually paused at a bookcase. [say]"I think I hear it in here. I'm going to start taking out books one at a time. If it comes flying out again, try to catch it?"[/say] It wasn't the best plan but there really wasn't much else he could think to do.

RE: Stingers for a cause - Cameron - 10-20-2021

Cam mock-grimaced at Nikolai's teasing, then had to laugh. It made them feel an unfamiliar warmth, too, to hear Nikolai call them "sibling." [say]"I am nothing if not courageous. Maybe next year I'll build up to something really terrifying, like answering the phone."[/say] Not that that was actually a concern in Caido, after all. Just one of the many benefits of switching worlds.

[say]"Got it,"[/say] they said, grabbing the jar. [say]"Maybe move slowly? It'll be easier to catch if we can get it crawling on a surface instead of flying through the air."[/say] They had their doubts about their ability to capture a moving wasp. Hand-eye coordination had never been one of their strong points, after all.

RE: Stingers for a cause - Nikolai - 10-24-2021

Nikolai's smiled but his brow furrowed with confusion. But before he could ask what a phone was, their plan began. Carefully, Nikolai began to remove the books from the shelf. He took them out one at a time and placed them gently on one of the library tables. Both because the books were fragile but also to prevent any wasps from startling and flying out of the shelves.

Eventually the Ascended took one book out and froze. There was was a wasp clasped onto the book. Nikolai eyed it warily as the creature walked across the spine. [say]"Got one,"[/say] he whispered and carefully began to walk towards Cam. The entire time, Nikolai eyed the wasp, hoping that it wouldn't fly away and also so as not to lose track of it.

When he reached Cam, Nikolai held out the book. [say]"Put the jar on it,"[/say] he whispered with hushed anxiety.

RE: Stingers for a cause - Cameron - 11-01-2021

Cam stood with jar at the ready while Nikolai pulled out books. At the wasp's appearance, they actually winced; they did not enjoy looking at it. They weren't scared of bugs, per se, but they didn't always enjoy encountering them in person, especially wasps. You can't get stung, they reminded themself. Chill.

Steeling themself, Cam carefully moved towards the book Nikolai held and slowly, slowly lowered the jar towards the wasp. They hoped that by moving so slowly, they would avoid startling the wasp, and it would stay still on the book so that they could fit the jar over it.

RE: Stingers for a cause - Nikolai - 11-01-2021

Nikolai didn't blame Cam for wincing, the creature was rather disturbing looking. Bugs were one thing, paper was another. One that looked like the two had been haphazardly mashed together? Interesting, but a bit unnerving.  Nikolai nearly flinched as well, but it was only through desperation not to startle the creature by jerking the book that he stayed still.

If he were still an Accepted, Nikolai would have sweated as Cam moved in with the jar. The book must have been interesting because the wasp was none the wiser as the Ascended swooped in. With a small thud, Cam had successfully covered the wasp.

[say]"Yes!"[/say] Nikolai whisper-yelled, trying to stay relatively quiet in the Atheneum. He grinned at Cam before glancing down at the wasp. It was tapping at the glass in confusion and mild agitation. [say]"What now? How do we get the jar cap on?" [/say]

RE: Stingers for a cause - Cameron - 11-07-2021

Cam grinned at their success, still holding the jar over the wasp just to make sure that the book or jar didn't slip and release the creature. [say]"OK, now we slide a piece of paper under the jar and the wasp so it's sealed. And then, uh ..."[/say]

At that point Cam wasn't sure how to get the lid on. Usually they used this method to catch bugs for immediate release outside, not catch them and keep them. After a moment's frowning, they said, [say]"Maybe we can put the lid on over the paper? That way we don't have to risk it getting out."[/say]

They really didn't want the wasp to get out, as they suspected it would be angry -- and they kept having to remind themself that they couldn't get stung.

[say]"Here, let's put the book down,"[/say] Cam said, reaching to take it from Nikolai so that -- while holding the jar to it -- they could place it on the table and give the two of them a steady surface to work on.

RE: Stingers for a cause - Nikolai - 11-09-2021

Nikolai hummed at Cam's suggestion as he eyed the wasp. It clinked against the glass unhappily, seemingly confused as to what this invisible barrier was that was preventing them from leaving. The Ascended was a bit relieved that the creature seemed more confused then scared. He'd have felt bad otherwise.

As Cam placed the book and wasp on the table, Nikolai grabbed a sheet of paper. Carefully, he slit it under the lip of the jar and after taking an unnecessary breath to steady himself, he flipped the jar. Now they had an upset wasp in a jar covered only by a piece of paper.

[say]"Maybe put the jar on top and then we can slide the paper and screw the top on?"[/say] That seemed like the best course of action to Nikolai. [say]"And maybe we should poke some small holes in the lid top first so that they can breath."[/say] The Voice hadn't specified if the wasp needed to be alive or not, so Nikolai figured he might as well keep the creature safe just in case.

RE: Stingers for a cause - Cameron - 11-13-2021

Cam nodded at Nikolai's suggestions, though their eyes remained on the wasp, watching it move around inside the jar. Its appearance simultaneously fascinated and repulsed them. Looking at bugs didn't bother Cam, exactly, but ... Maybe this one bothered them a little.

[say]"OK, I'll work on the lid,"[/say] Cam said, taking up the lid -- choosing the lower-stakes task, of course, and the one that required less manual dexterity. For a moment they looked around at a loss, seeking a tool that could poke holes in the lid. Then an idea struck them. [say]"This might be a little weird."[/say]

They lifted the jar lid to their mouth and bit down on it with their Ascended fangs, leaving two perfectly good holes. The result made Cam grin. [say]"Nice. Built-in can openers."[/say]