Court of the Fallen
don't threaten me with a good time - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Character Resources (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Forum: Not-Canon (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: don't threaten me with a good time (/showthread.php?tid=6304)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: don't threaten me with a good time - Mateo - 10-25-2021

[say]"You're a paramedic, you'd think they'd pull some strings and get you orange,"[/say] Mateo agrees about the green jello, innoculously wibbling at them from its place next to Ever's bed. Letting out another sigh and resting his hands in his lap this time, Mateo settles in for storytime, though obviously it isn't nearly as fun or amusing as the antics he likely brings home to tell his roommate.

[say]"A kid decided to stab you?"[/say] He raises his eyebrows at his folded hands, though his blue eyes are dark with thoughts of what kind of situation would ever make that seem like a good idea. [say]"Che idiota,"[/say] he mumbles under his breath. [say]"I've never been stabbed or shot, and I don't know if I want to be either,"[/say] he confesses, lifting his gaze back to his friend.

[say]"How long do you have to stay in here?"[/say] he wonders. [say]"I can't really get you home on my bike, but I could get a cab."[/say]

RE: don't threaten me with a good time - Everest - 10-25-2021

[say]"You'd think."[/say] Then again, Ever would be more uncomfortable than he was already if he knew that the doctors were treating him any differently than they were their other patients.

[say]"Mhmm. He was probably only 16 or so."[/say] Frowning and looking properly sympathetic for the boy, Ever quickly mentally calculates if he should administer more morphine via the button on the other side of the bed. Deciding against it despite the thawing of his body and the glacial ache starting to hum in his bones, Ever shakes his head slightly. [say]"Hopefully you won't ever be stabbed or shot."[/say]

Wanting to sleep to escape the pain, Ever presses his tongue to the roof of his mouth and forces himself to swallow. [say]"I'll have to stay tonight for monitoring. I'm sure I'll be released tomorrow morning. I can take a cab home, unless..you want to come here and help me?"[/say] Said gently, not wanting to burden his roommate, Ever yawns.

[say]"Old enough to know better,"[/say] Mateo says somewhat darkly; their upbringings have been markedly different in enough ways that he can sound certain on that point. [say]"I hope I am not ever stabbed or shot,"[/say] he echoes, glancing over his friend and raising his eyebrows. A doctor Mateo is not, but he knows someone who needs a hit of something from a mile away, and even without the yawn as a precursor, he unfolds his legs on the chair and rises to his feet.

[say]"I will be here,"[/say] he tells him. [say]"I was saving all my vacation up for Christmas but I'm sure I can spare a day for you. No arguments."[/say] Patting Ever's arm through the blankets, Mateo reaches out to snag the green jello, slipping it into the pocket of his cardigan and putting his finger to his lips that Ever doesn't say a word about it. [say]"I will bring you some clothes. Your clothes,"[/say] he clarifies with a quick smile. [say]"Sleep well, okay?"[/say]

[say]"Sorry."[/say] Ever mumbles instinctively as Mateo rises, knowing that he's not been able to mask the signs of his exhaustion as well as he'd hoped.

Swallowing down a grunt of pain as Mateo pats his arm, the paramedic grimaces, before smiling genuinely to hear that he'll be brought his own clothes. [say]"A button-up shirt, please. A loose one."[/say] Honestly, Mateo probably would have something that was a more relaxed-fit, but Ever didn't want to push his luck.

[say]'Good..nigh....t..'[/say]

It isn't Keith who greets Mateo at the visitor's entrance the next day, but a different nurse. This is probably for the best. This nurse smiles, holds out a form for him to sign, and then gestures toward the elevator. Meanwhile upstairs, Ever has been given his medication, bandages that he's well able to change on his own, and then a hefty shot of something strong enough to fix a wobbly smile on his lips. When Mateo comes into the room it will be to see Ever trying to make the hospital bed, only he's trying to put the pillow into the fitted sheet and wondering why it wasn't working.

Mateo hasn't slept very well, and it's probably because he's completely sober. That people exist like this, using only coffee as a crutch, is a real fucking travesty. Still, after complaining about this whole stabbing thing (and having a little cry about it) to Petunia and sporting a small bandaid on his neck from the feline who refuted his attempts to cuddle with vicious glee, he makes his way to the hospital. In a cab, this time. (The bike is in the stock room of the florist's).

Today's outfit is all black and all masculine, as if he'd been looking forward to staring down KEiTh, but alas, it's a lovely nurse who directs him up to Ever's room. And so Mateo finds himself lurking in the doorway with a bag slung over his shoulder (clothes, for Ever) to find the paramedic in his hospital gown, trying to badly make his bed. He wants to run over there and hug him, honestly.

[say]"You shouldn't be using your coca-cola-lavicular,"[/say] he says. [say]"Also that's a pillow. Also they'll have to rip off these sheets to wash them when we leave."[/say] And if this wasn't enough to announce his presence, he offers a relieved and happy smile to his friend. [say]"Buongiorno. Shall we get out of here?"[/say] He places the bag down to open it.

[say]"Cock-a-cola-lavicular."[/say] Ever corrects in a voice that sounds both sing-songy, and also like he's underwater. Turning, his gown open in the back, what Mateo says doesn't immediately make its way into Ever's mind. Instead, the words dart about like bouncy balls, and there are far too many of them to try and catch. Or should he be juggling them? [say]"But...who will make the bed after they're washed?"[/say] He mewls, clutching the sheet in his good hand. [say]"Should I come back? Or stay until they're ready? My mom always said you should make your bed."[/say] Looking from the bed to Mateo and finally the bag, Everest tilts his head.

[say]"I..don't think I'll fit in there."[/say] He says of the bag, his blue eyes large and doe-like given how blown out his pupils are.

If this is what it's like to live with him, then Mateo likes it, and he can see why Everest and he have been roommates for so long. [say]"Oh look, a full moon in the morning,"[/say] he chimes as the other man turns and flashes his open-at-the-back gown. [say]"I think there are people here who will make the bed,"[/say] he explains patiently. [say]"I am glad you do what your mom says, but this isn't your bed. Your bed is at home, and it is very well made."[/say] It isn't. Mateo slept in it. (He was feeling lonely and dramatic, okay?)

[say]"I don't think you will either. But what abooooout..."[/say] With a flourish, Mateo pulls out a loose, grey button up and a pair of dark sweatpants. [say]"Your wardrobe does not account for very much of a cross-over of styles,"[/say] he remarks, holding the sweatpants out first for Ever to step into them, fully expecting to have to act as an object for him to steady himself on. [say]"I bet they didn't have to give you jello this morning,"[/say] he murmurs.

Ever doesn't understand the full moon comment (something about werewolves, maybe? It had just been Halloween). [say]"But..then whose bed was I just sleeping in?"[/say] He asks with a bit of a tremble in his voice, glancing down at the bed scandalously.

It's for the best that Mateo started with pants, because had he not, he'd have had a very naked Everest on his hands. Literally. Slumped forward with his good shoulder against the florist, he fumbles to try and put the sweats on. Stuck on the very tricky logic of two-legs-one-pant, it's quite the relative success when his bottom half is clothed. He'd have been horrified of course if he had the wherewithal to notice just how revealing these sweatpants were, but as it was, all he knew was that the draft he'd been feeling was gone.

[say]'Can you help?'[/say] Ever asks then, as if Mateo hadn't been already. Swinging so that his gown fell off of him, the easiest thing would be to put Ever's good arm through his sleeve and just drape the material over the other. Leaning toward his friend with a look of mystery, Ever whispers, [say]"I don't think I've been to this morning, yet."[/say]

[say]"You weren't sleeping in it, you were making it,"[/say] Mateo points out, able to navigate the knitting together of random bits of thought with ease. Indeed, he manages to tease the blanket from Ever's hand to toss it onto the still unmade bed, propping up his friend as he tries to get his pants on. [say]"Uh huh-- no, that's the same leg-- there we go,"[/say] he praises, offering him a sunny smile once his lower half is clothed, even if everyone in the hospital will be able to see just what the paramedic is packing thanks to the lack of underwear and how loose the sweatpants are.

[say]"I would love to help,"[/say] he assures Ever, busy slipping his good arm in through the shirt before draping the rest of the fabric over the bandages. [say]"Good as new,"[/say] he trills. [say]"And you're lucky - we can go to this morning when we get home. Here, let me just..."[/say] He's snagging the rest of Ever's belongings from the bedside table, taking a second to put his friend's watch on for him and tucking his cell phone into one of his pockets.

[say]"I think we're ready to go - I just need to pick up your medicine from the pharmacy. But I can do that when we're home."[/say]

RE: don't threaten me with a good time - Everest - 10-27-2021

[say]'Oh.'[/say] A thoughtful look of understanding smoothes the wrinkles from Ever's forehead as he nods, accepting this piss-poor explanation as gospel. Clothed and yet still revealed, the paramedic stands as if at attention as Mateo places the watch on his wrist (it's so heavy). [say]"I think they've left me a movey-chair."[/say] He explains, peering around the room as if it might be hiding behind the door. He of course means a wheelchair, but if they can't it, he's pretty sure he can carry Mateo downstairs.

The wheelchair was for Mateo, right?

[say]"Maybe I can tattoo myself while we wait for me to heal."[/say] He says conversationally, glancing down at his bare chest which is currently free of ink (though it won't be for long). [say]'But first I should put food in my stomach, so the ink has something to stick to."[/say]

RE: don't threaten me with a good time - Mateo - 10-27-2021

The wheelchair is not for Mateo, but were it not for the fact that Ever has been stabbed, he'd absolutely be pretending that it was. He's actually quite delighted as he peers around to look for it, all the while gathering Ever's belongings together and slinging his bag back over his shoulder. [say]"Ah, I found it!"[/say] he announces, moving to get the wheelchair from the rather obvious place beside the door. [say]"I'll stand on the back and ride it, you sit in."[/say] He's half joking.

[say]"Mm, I think food is probably a really good idea. I chose last time, so what do you want to eat?"[/say] he asks, trying to usher Ever into the wheelchair while hanging bags and his coat and all manner of other things off the side of it. [say]"Do you know the receptionist here called Keith? He made me cry."[/say]

[say]"Okay."[/say] Easing himself into the wheelchair and then looking for the seatbelt, he glances over his shoulder. [say]"You have to obey all traffic signs, okay?"[/say] Unable to find the seatbelt (there isn't one, of course), Ever places his life in Mateo's hands and hopes they don't crash.

[say]"There was a last time?"[/say] He wonders of eating, before closing one eye and trying very hard to place the name Keith. [say]"Did he tell you a sad story? Oh, did he talk to you about Old Yeller?"[/say] That poor, poor dog.

[say]'You know, one day I should introduce you to my roommate Mateo. I think you'd like him."[/say]

RE: don't threaten me with a good time - Mateo - 10-27-2021

[say]"Okay,"[/say] Mateo trills, knowing not one single traffic sign (no, not even when he'd been cycling like a demon down the main street), and after playing Buckeroo with the wheelchair and all their belongings, he starts to push Ever out of the room and down the corridor towards the elevator. [say]"Oh, yes. There was definitely a last time - I ordered gnocchi and we watched Hocus Pocus. What about this time, though?"[/say]

As for Keith, Mateo wrinkles his nose and presses the button for the ground floor - only once this time, at least. [say]"Nah, you told me about Old Yeller,"[/say] he grumbles. [say]"And you know what, Ever? I really think I would. You should tell me all about him."[/say] The doors ping! open and in they roll, and it all feels far too sterile and quiet for his liking.

[say]'Sushi and Lugosi"[/say] Ever replies instantly like he was buzzing in on a tv show; raw fish and vampires? Sure, why not.

[say]'Oh... did I make you cry?'[/say] Twisting himself around to gaze up into Mateo's eyes, he reaches around to try and pat his friend's arm but misses, and ends up stroking his knee. [say]"I didn't mean to make you cry."[/say] Sounding genuinely apologetic, Ever turns back around and considers. [say]"Well, the first thing to know about him is that he has less chest hair than you'd think, and his second toe is longer than his big toe. But that isn't much of a surprise."[/say] The paramedic rolls the wrist of his good arm, as if to suggest that this is just boring preamble.

[say]"His lips and his eyes aren't the same colour and I think he has at least three freckles and twice as many eyelashes."[/say]