Court of the Fallen
don't threaten me with a good time - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Character Resources (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Forum: Not-Canon (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: don't threaten me with a good time (/showthread.php?tid=6304)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: don't threaten me with a good time - Mateo - 10-28-2021

[say]"Or you could just not fill them,"[/say] Mateo echoes, though the pout is audible in his voice as he leans against the counter, Petunia busy winding around his legs this time. Ever doesn't have to say no thank you to breakfast burritos for Mateo to know how he feels from the look on his face, and he smiles into his coffee. [say]"What do you feel like for breakfast?"[/say] he asks.

Raising his eyebrows at the 'dream' and wondering how much is actually memory, the florist carefully steps out of range of Petunia so he can go and inspect the prescriptions properly. [say]"Those pain meds were real strong, wouldn't surprise me if you had a weird night,"[/say] he says, flicking through the paper. [say]"Some of these are for extra bandages, so you should probably get those... And you didn't fall asleep on me Ever. I fell asleep on you. And I was feeling very needy, so I asked if you'd hold my hand. You were kind enough to oblige."[/say]

Is lying still bad if it makes your very uncomfortable roommate feel better?

RE: don't threaten me with a good time - Everest - 10-28-2021

[say]'No, no, burritos are fine.'[/say] Ever replies automatically. He'll just...unwrap them and eat only the eggs. That seems like the most his stomach can handle.

Narrowing his eyes slightly as he traces Mateo's movements, Ever tries to push away the foam behind his eyelids to try and remember what had happened. [say]"You..picked me up from the hospital, and then we ate and watched a movie..didn't we?"[/say] That's what he'd surmised given the leftovers this morning, and the fact that he'd made it home from the hospital.

Mateo's explanation makes much more sense to Ever than the truth would have, and he finds himself nodding into his coffee as he takes another sip. [say]"Are you okay now?"[/say] He wonders, setting his coffee down. Though it was true Mateo's neediness wasn't uncommon, that didn't mean it was without basis.

[say]"If you're sure. You can always get a breakfast box instead, or we can wait until later. I'm not back in work again until tomorrow, so we can do whatever,"[/say] Mateo explains through another wide yawn, leaving the prescriptions where they were (and not even taking one, Ever should be proud). And whilst the paramedic tries to remember what happened, Mateo realises that he's in wrinkled clothes, scrunching his nose and automatically positioning himself closer to the bathroom ready for when he's finished his coffee.

[say]"Mmhm,"[/say] he says with a nod of confirmation. [say]"You wanted sushi and Lugosi, so we watched Dracula."[/say] He stares thoughtfully into his coffee. [say]"You also got a boner and the cab driver thought we were in a relationship,"[/say] he adds quickly.

Ever stills, his coffee cup held steady in his fingers as he draws in a long breath. You really buried the plot with that one, he might have said were he the sort of person who joked to hide his discomfort. Instead, he waited until the spark of anxiety in his throat had quieted enough to speak, before setting down his coffee mug and folding his hands comfortably in front of himself.

[say]"...How do you know I had an..."[/say] His cheeks flush. [say]"..an erection?"[/say] Ever asks, the words coming out of his mouth making his own ears burn. [say]"And what made the cab driver think that?"[/say] The latter was perhaps not as concerning; this was New York and given Mateo's eccentricities, almost anything he'd done in jest or earnest could make someone unfamiliar think that he was Ever's partner.

Mateo leans against the doorframe next to the bathroom, warming his hands on his mug and watching the other man thoughtfully as he struggles with his discomfort. [say]"You told me,"[/say] he says simply. [say]"And then you showed me, because we needed to get you out of your wet clothes. And then you tried to... I don't know, actually. Either way, you ended up touching yourself and falling off the couch."[/say]

With an apologetic smile, Mateo shrugs his shoulders. [say]"I guess we were just sitting pretty close together in the cab. Don't worry, you didn't make a pass at me. And I didn't make one at you either,"[/say] he assures him, tilting his head. [say]"Are you okay?"[/say]

Ever's heart stops, thunders, and then promptly slips all the way down to his feet. Blinking frantically as his gaze grows slack, his mind conjures up a close-view of their floor and the leg of the coffee table viewed upside down. There was a melody of pain and pleasure and a feeling of immobility. Biting at his lower lip he closes his eyes and then immediately opens them, not wanting to be reminded of the images he was suddenly able to recall. [say]'.....'[/say] There's only a hoarse wheezing sound as he opens his mouth, only to be shocked back into silence by Mateo's assurances that they hadn't made a pass at one another.

Turning his back on his friend and stare intently at the wall socket, Ever feels both cold and hot. [say]"I..."[/say] He should probably sit down. [say]"I'm so sorry."[/say] Ever manages, before passing out.

Mateo has known his friend for a long time, but he's never thought him to be a fainter. Granted, never has either of them been in such a situation, so he'll give him that much, but... damn. [say]"Ever--!"[/say] he just about manages, rushing forward as if he might somehow catch the other man before he slumps down completely. It's a fool's errand, of course, but Mateo can at least say that he tried.

And so begins Everest's recovery; from a stab wound, yes, but also possibly from his own behaviour.

It's about a week later in the middle of the night when Everest's phone will ring. And then it will ring again, and again. And another bunch of times too. Mateo has gone out on a date (or so he says) with Carnations to make up for all those other times he stood her up or otherwise made things go awry, and now it's past midnight and obviously this can only be a good thing, for his name to be popping up on Mateo's cell. Right?

Having only just gone to sleep, it takes Ever a moment to discern that the sound of Beyonce's Irreplaceable is coming from beneath his pillow and not from the dream he'd just been having about singing on broadway. Quite when Mateo changed it from Celine Dion's, "My Heart Will Go On", he has no idea. He'd change his password again if he thought it would do any good.

[say]"mmmmnnnnnnn?"[/say] The paramedic answers, rolling onto his back with his eyes closed. Petunia yowls at him from the foot of the bed, and instantly Ever pulls his feet up to give the cat her space.

[say]"Heeeeeey,"[/say] comes Mateo's cheerful greeting down the phone, though the cheer is superficial at best. He sounds outside, and he sounds cold. [say]"Sorry to bother you, Ever, but I don't s'pose you'd be able to... to come and pick me up, maybe?"[/say] He laughs, not that it sounds like there's much to laugh about wherever he is. [say]"Or like... not pick me up, obviously, because we don't drive, but I..."[/say]

Another laugh, then footsteps, and the sound of scrabbling. [say]"Uh, maybe you could just come and meet me? I'm on my way home from Jess's place,"[/say] that's Carnations to you and me, [say]"and y'know, there's this gang of guys. And they've got a real issue with fashion, Ever, you have no idea. And maybe we had words. Maybe they're trying to kill me. I don't really know."[/say]

The first red flag is Mateo saying he's sorry to bother him. The second is that he's called Carnations her by her actual name. The third of course, is the potential threat of death. By this third red flag, Ever is fully awake, out of bed, mostly dressed, and walking to the door. [say]"Send me a pin where you are. I'm on my way."[/say] The paramedic says, pocketing a small can of mace and grabbing a bottle of water.

Outside, the sky is a bruised purple which means it's probably between 2-4am, and luckily hailing a cab isn't too hard. Most party-goers are home already meaning taxis are just cruising the streets like lazy predators.

[say]"Cool, awesome. That - yeah, I'll do that."[/say] Mateo hangs up at that point, as if realising that continuing to talk might well mark his presence more than anything else. And so that's that, or at least it should be; the pin will pop up on Ever's phone soon after, and the night will seem relatively quiet and free of danger as the paramedic travels to a district some twenty minutes' walk away.

And when he does arrive, the streets will remain clear. Silent, almost, even as he draws near the pin where Mateo has marked as his location. And so Ever will find the florist's phone, the screen smashed and smeared with a little bit of blood, as well as a torn blazer, black and spangled with constellations. There's also a shoe nearby (just the one) - a heeled boot scuffed all along the toe.

You have arrived at your destination, Ever's phone advises, and though he doesn't see his friend, he tips the cab driver and gets out. Looking perplexed but calm, he clicks on Mateo's icon in his recent-calls list. A light catches his gaze, and it's with a frown that he collects his friend's phone from where it has almost fallen into the gutter, before realizing that it's accompanied by pieces of Mateo's wardrobe. Picking up the blazer and the boot—the scuff marks making him think that perhaps Mateo was dragged somewhere against his will—the paramedic raises his head and looks sharply about.

[say]"MATEO?"[/say] He calls loudly, turning in a circle and trying to latch onto any movement nearby. Though his pulse has quickened, Ever remains calm; he doesn't dial 911 and doesn't panic. This all might be a joke, a misunderstanding, or just a Mateoism gone wrong.

If only it was any of those things - luckily, at the sound of his name belted through the air, there is a stirring from an alleyway nearby. From beneath assorted garbage, Mateo manages to struggle into a sitting position. [say]"Hey,"[/say] he croaks, flailing a hand covered in dirt out to try and get his roommate's attention. [say]"Hey, I'm OK."[/say] He can't really say that for sure, actually - his head is spinning and one of his eyes is swollen shut, and there's blood all over his very white, very sheer shirt.

[say]"It's OK,"[/say] he repeats, putting his hand to his throbbing head where a hunk of curls is missing. [say]"Someone started having an argument outside their apartment, spooked them off."[/say] The button on his pants is missing and the zipper is undone, but things hadn't gotten any further than that, thank fuck.

[say]'Jesus,"[/say] Ever hisses at the trash goblin that turns out to be his roommate. Running to Mateo's side, Ever kneels in the muck and trash of the alley to immediately assess his friend's situation. [say]"Look at me?"[/say] He asks, reaching forward to put his hands gently on Mateo's cheeks to look into the man's one open eye. In paramedic mode now, it's easy to distance himself emotionally from the obvious signs of what he sees.

Gently his fingers work through Mateo's curls, ignoring the missing hair and searching instead for lacerations or something which might explain all the blood aside from what's coming out of the florist's nose. [say]"Where are you hurt?"[/say] He asks in a low voice, bypassing the are you hurt portion of his questioning.

[say]"Here."[/say] Reaching into his coat pocket, he pulls out the bottle of water and unscrews the cap. Gingerly holding it out for Mateo, he'll help the man drink to avoid potentially trembling fingers dropping and spilling it everywhere.