Court of the Fallen
don't threaten me with a good time - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Character Resources (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Forum: Not-Canon (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: don't threaten me with a good time (/showthread.php?tid=6304)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: don't threaten me with a good time - Mateo - 10-28-2021

[say]"Oh! Hello,"[/say] Mateo slurs, peering up at Everest with his one good eye and smiling lopsidedly, even if he looks maybe a little close to tears to see his friend. [say]"I tried to fight them off,"[/say] he mumbles, sounding guilty that he'd not been entirely successful. (At all successful). [say]"Got an elbow in someone's nose. Blood's not mine,"[/say] he explains. Still, he doesn't struggle as he's looked over - his head is spinning too badly to even try, honestly.

[say]"Just my face I think. I told them not to go for the face."[/say] Which is almost definitely why they had done just that. The water sloshes against his mouth at first, causing him to choke a bit, but eventually he's able to sip enough of it to speak properly. [say]"I don't want to go to hospital."[/say]

RE: don't threaten me with a good time - Everest - 10-28-2021

[say]"Do you have any open wounds?"[/say] The sight of the blood that isn't Mateo's has Ever wishing he'd brought a pair of gloves. Taking extra care then, just in case, he releases Mateo's cheeks and nods. [say]"Hospital? No of course not. You're absolutely fine. You just need an extra-long bubble bath and some take out."[/say] The only time Everest might be said to pass as charming or reassuring, is in the presence of injury or trauma. Mateo was not absolutely fine of course, but unless he had internal bleeding (which a bath would reveal), there was nothing here that Ever couldn't triage at home.

Taking the bottle of water with his good arm and setting it down, Ever positions himself next to Mateo to help his friend stand. [say]"Should we go home? Or would you like to continue method-acting as a vagabond a little longer?"[/say]

[say]"Nn, I don't think so. My head hurts, though."[/say] And he'll be pissed when he discovers the missing hair. [say]"Just got smacked around a bit, I think."[/say] He more than thinks. His body will be a canvas of bruises by the morning, and he'll be self conscious of what he wears until they are gone (and maybe after that, too). Still, as Ever tells him they can just go home, it's a relief enough. He fumbles to get to his feet, careful not to touch his friend more than necessary, and huffs down at his missing shoe.

[say]"I couldn't call you - I don't know where my phone is,"[/say] he says. [say]"And I don't want to be a vagabond any more. I want to go home."[/say] Rubbing at his face - the side of it that isn't puffed up like a marshmallow - Mateo tries to limp out of the alleyway and back into the street, though he can't help but look up and down it just in case.

[say]"I didn't mean to cause any trouble."[/say]

In paramedic mode, Ever is used to being touched, and it's with a much stronger and more confident grip than Mateo will have experience from him, that he wraps his arm around his friend and helps him to stand. [say]'Is that okay?'[/say] He asks once they're upright, tilting slightly to encourage the florist to lean against him.

[say]"I have your phone."[/say] Ever says soothingly, walking them toward the road with the quiet confidence of a man who knows he has a can of mace in his pocket. [say]"You didn't cause any trouble, Mateo. Not at all."[/say] Raising his injured arm with a wince, Ever hails a cab over. In his mind he's running through a checklist of things to do once they get home: bagging Mateo's shirt and taking scrapings from beneath his nails in case he wanted to press charges. Documenting his wounds both for the police as well as for whatever treatment he'd need. Adding epsom salts in earnest to Mateo's bath to help him relax.

But before all that, there was getting home. Turning to Mateo, Ever looks his friend earnestly in the eye(s). [say]"This wasn't your fault and you're going to be alright."[/say] He whispers. [say]"Okay?"[/say]

It feels strange to be so close to Ever when he's not high as a kite, but despite himself Mateo does lean against the other man, craving contact that isn't rough and painful and vaguely terrifying. He'd like to find his blazer and his other shoe, though it's entirely likely that Ever has those things as well (where would he keep them, he wonders), and so they limp away towards the roadside to hail down a cab.

It doesn't take long for one to turn up, by which time Mateo has started to shiver in the November chill, and he slouches into the back seat and gives the cabbie the address to the florist's place on autopilot. [say]"Okay,"[/say] he whispers back to Ever, though it sounds rehearsed; he can play at being alright just the same as he can method-act being a trash goblin. [say]"Thank you for coming to get me."[/say]

Where indeed. Having dropped them on the sidewalk when he'd dashed toward Mateo, the other man is free to pick them up before hopping into the cab if he likes. Ever's attention is focused on getting his friend into the cab without incident.

[say]"Always."[/say] Ever responds immediately, meaning it both in and out of paramedic mode, even as he stifles a yawn into his shoulder. Small talk isn't part of the job, so it's with a keen eye that Ever simply watches Mateo for signs of concussion. Should he buy Mateo self-defence lessons for Christmas? Thinking that hat or wig shopping was in their future given how much of Mateo's scalp he could see, Ever glances at the dashboard clock. 3 am. Three hours until his shift started. If he was going to have to call in and see if someone could cover, he should do it sooner rather than later.

The driver doesn't say anything about how the flower shop is closed, he merely accepts his tip with a grunt as the two men get out. Petunia raises her head from the back of the couch and appraises her servants with a haughty but disinterested stare. [say]"Are you okay if I inspect you in the kitchen before you have a bath?"[/say] The lighting was better in the kitchen and the linoleum floor was the easiest to clean dried blood from. This they both knew from experience.

They arrive home sans shoe and blazer, and really, Mateo thinks it's probably for the best. It's not like he's going to wear either item ever again regardless, and this way he only has to throw away a shoe, a shirt and a pair of pants. Reaching out for Petunia before thinking better of it, the florist nods and quietly moves to lean against one of the kitchen counters, wondering if it's worth putting on the coffee machine.

[say]"Shall I get the first aid kit down?"[/say] he asks - it's not a task he can complete with an eye swollen shut and shaking fingers, but it seems like he ought to do something. So instead his hands go patting at his pockets, and it's with almost a distraught laugh that he withdraws wallet, keys and a little baggie with a couple of pills in it.

[say]"They didn't even rob me,"[/say] he whispers, feeling the sting of tears and blinking them back. They didn't want your money, you stupid prick.

[say]"No, I'll do that."[/say] Ever says carefully. Before he does though, he reaches beneath the sink and pulls out a garbage bag. [say]'Can you put your shirt in here, for me?'[/say] Even in paramedic mode, removing clothing is not his forte. Most often he's cutting things off of people instead of tugging them over their heads, and if Mateo had do this part himself, Ever would appreciate it. Holding out the bag for the shirt, the paramedic nods at his roommate's pants as well.

Grabbing the first-aid kit (theirs is significantly more robust than most), Ever slips on a pair of gloves. [say]"I'm going to check you for internal bleeding, and see if any of your ribs are cracked, okay?"[/say] He asks, ignoring Mateo's comment about the not-robbery he'd experienced.

[say]"Mm...? Yeah, of course,"[/say] Mateo mumbles, breathing the words out as he swipes at his good eye, before swiftly unbuttoning his shirt. It's not for the first time today, but this is absolutely less fun, and he stuffs his shirt and pants into the garbage bag with a wince. His neck is already a little red, a little puffy, and bruises like fingerprints are sure to be visible by morning. It's a similar story along the left side of his ribcage, his left hip and one of his forearms - the one not caked in dirt.

[say]"You do whatever you need to do,"[/say] he assures Ever, as if to tell him he needn't worry about asking permission each time. [say]"How was your shift? Did you see Cara?"[/say] He's absolutely just trying to make conversation so he doesn't have to think about the alleyway, and he's not sorry about it.

Mateo is a good patient, which Ever appreciates. His fingers spider-walk their way over Mateo's abdomen which doesn't show signs of bleeding. Gently, because there's bruising already, Ever checks the left side of Mateo's ribs. Nothing seems to be broken and it isn't as though there's anything to be done if he'd managed to crack one. Even so, he thinks it's just bruising. Looking lower down on his friend's cocaine-chic body, he feels the swelling around his hip, noting how the bruise disappeared beneath the top of Mateo's underwear line. [say]"And they didn't...?"[/say] He wonders, glancing up. As one could probably guess, Ever wasn't the team member who normally took victim or witness statements.

[say]"Mmm? Oh, no. No broken bones today."[/say] As an x-ray tech, the only time he saw Cara was for patients with broken bones. [say]"I think she might be avoiding me."[/say] He adds without much concern.

Mateo bites the inside of his mouth so as not to swear at the sudden pain that comes with inquisitive fingers prodding at bruised ribs, though he does flinch away a bit, only to force himself to relax into it. I'm okay. I'm fine. This is just another thing to tell stories about one day. If he repeats it to himself enough, it might just be true. [say]"No, they didn't,"[/say] he mutters, shaking his head. [say]"The ruckus from across the street interrupted them, and so they ran."[/say]

And he supposes he has someone's abusive boyfriend to thank for saving his bacon this time around. Somehow it doesn't make him feel any better. [say]"At least you won't have to see her now either,"[/say] he quips about Cara, since Mateo also doesn't have any broken bones. [say]"Maybe she is embarrassed of how she acted when we went out."[/say] He probably would have been, and Mateo doesn't do embarrassment.

Then again he doesn't do sexual assault either, but y'know, here they are.

[say]"Okay."[/say] And, selfishly, Ever's relief is only partially for his friend. He isn't the imaginative sort normally, not one to daydream or start conversations with, You know I just had the weirdest thought, but given his line of work, he could see all too easily the hands that had caused the marks on his friend. Standing, Ever takes a bottle of something that smells sterile and a bit of cotton. [say]"This is going to sting. If you're going to hit me, avoid my right arm."[/say] His stitches had been removed, but that didn't mean the wound couldn't be reopened. Reaching forward, Ever forces Mateo's eye open to make sure that there wasn't any debris or god-forbid glass wedged beneath his puffy lid. The antiseptic would not feel nice, and if Mateo didn't hit him, he'd understand.

[say]'Mmm.'[/say] Ever replies without conviction. [say]"She might be mad that I left her with Carna—Jess."[/say] He mumbles. Honestly? He doesn't care. It isn't like he's looking to be in a relationship or any sort of ship. Finished with Mateo's eye, he tilts the man's head to the side to look at his head. Though the skin was irritated and swollen, it looked like Mateo was right about there not being any cuts.

[say]"Do you want me to stay home with you today?"[/say] Ever asks suddenly as he removes his gloves with practiced ease.

Mateo scoffs, because in case Ever has missed it in the vast differences between their body types, he's not really the type to hit. But then the paramedic is leaning in and forcing his eye open and Mateo calls him a pezzo di cazzo che mangia merda and lets his knuckles turn white against the kitchen countertop. [say]"Ow,"[/say] he announces when his friend is finished, not bothering to wipe away the tears streaming down his face; it's easier to pretend they're from the inspection now.

[say]"Let her be mad. You've had a busy few weeks. I'm sure she will speak with you eventually, whether you want her to or not."[/say] Letting out a shivery sigh, Mateo gazes down at himself as if he's not really seeing his own body. [say]"Were you scared, when you were stabbed?"[/say] he asks softly, and when Ever offers to stay home with him, the florist barely hesitates before nodding. [say]"Yes please,"[/say] he mumbles.

Ever doesn't apologize for the eye exam, because he isn't sorry. Still, he flashes Mateo an understanding smile for having caused him discomfort. Thanks to the man who raised him and the mother he lost far too soon, Ever isn't the type to simply swaddle Mateo in affection the way the other man might need. But his love language, if it can be even thought of that way, is acts of service. And insofar as it is, Ever is happy to run his friend a bath, order them food, and yes, take the day off from work.

[say]"Probably."[/say] Ever agrees a touch glumly. [say]"She had her hand...well, it was almost..."[/say] Shaking his head at the memory of Cara's drunken weight against his shoulder and her hand sliding between his legs, the paramedic shivers. [say]"No,"[/say] He says honestly in response to Mateo's question. [say]"But then...it was completely unexpected, and didn't last. By the time he'd managed to pull the knife out, two officers were on him."[/say] Ever adds, knowing that likely wasn't the answer Mateo had been hoping for. [say]"I'm sorry this happened to you..."[/say] Pausing, near enough to the florist that he really should have been hugging him or holding his hand, or giving him a pat on the shoulder or something, Ever asks, [say]"Do you want to tell me about it?"[/say]