Court of the Fallen
don't threaten me with a good time - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Character Resources (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Forum: Not-Canon (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: don't threaten me with a good time (/showthread.php?tid=6304)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: don't threaten me with a good time - Mateo - 10-28-2021

[say]"Do you want me to tell her that we are together, but we aren't telling anyone about it? I can threaten her a bit as well if you want, do the jealous boyfriend bit."[/say] It wouldn't be the first time and it won't be the last, and Mateo kind of enjoys it actually. Granted, he'll probably give it a few days before he decides to go chatting to someone like Cara - and another few more before he goes anywhere near the hospital.

At hearing that Ever wasn't frightened by what had happened to him, and knowing it to be more honest than the majority of the shit most of the world says, Mateo can only nod a bit and lower his gaze. [say]"Thats understandable,"[/say] he murmurs, wrinkling his nose at the other man's question. [say]"No, no. It's fine,"[/say] he tells him. [say]"This is NYC, you know? Shit happens, I'll be alright."[/say] Conjuring a small smile that doesn't reach even his good eye, Mateo straightens up off the counter.

[say]"I should get a bath and go to sleep for a bit, right? That's what usually happens next?"[/say]

RE: don't threaten me with a good time - Everest - 10-28-2021

Staring into Mateo's face, unable to discern if he's joking or not, Ever shakes his head slowly. [say]"I thought I had to ask you out on a proper date before you'd pretend to be dating me."[/say] He counters, hazarding a smile.

[say]"It does happen,"[/say] Ever agrees, struggling to remember all the things he'd learned to say and do from the various sexual assault sensitivity training he'd taken. [say]"But that doesn't mean it's okay. We can talk about it, if you want to. At any time, alright? There's no...no..."[/say] Fuck, why hadn't he payed better attention? [say]"..no time limit. And you're allowed to be okay now, but not be okay later."[/say] He tries again, stepping back as Mateo stands. [say]"Just..whatever you want to feel, is okay. That's all I'm trying to say."[/say]

Packing up the first-aid kit, Ever nods. [say]"I can read to you in the bath, if you want?"[/say] His mom used to read to him in the bath, but only when there had been enough bubbles to keep him absolutely covered. [say]"Fairy tales, or Cosmo, or.."[/say]

[say]"Ah, that was then. This is now, and Cara is a little bit full-on even for my liking,"[/say] Mateo says easily, wiping away the last of his tears with the back of his hand. He manages a smile back at Ever, even if it does make his face hurt a little bit. And as the other man pulls out the sexual assault handbook to regurgitate back at him, he could honestly kiss him.

[say]"Ever,"[/say] he mumbles, reaching out to pat his wrist. [say]"Thank you, and it's alright. I understand. I'll... book some therapy or something, make sure I talk things through with someone, especially if I start feeling worse."[/say] He absolutely won't, but it will make things feel a little better for now.

Padding towards the bathroom, Mateo doesn't expect the offer of reading, and he gingerly glances over his shoulder at his roommate. [say]"Would you read me the instruction manual for your tattoo gun?"[/say] he asks.

Immensely pleased that Mateo only patted him instead of kissing him, the paramedic nods. [say]"Okay. Well...I'm here."[/say] It was boilerplate to be sure, but that didn't mean Ever wasn't absolutely sincere just the same.

[say]"I can do that. I'll be in in a minute."[/say] Pulling out his phone, Ever sends a few messages to his coworkers to see if anyone could cover for him. He doesn't say why, but given how often he fills in for them, the underlying obligation to reciprocate is one that they can't quite resist. He has two "I can come in"s within minutes. Declining one and accepting the other, Ever puts his phone on the counter and retrieves his box of tattooing implements.

With a glass of wine in one hand with a T3+codine capsule already dissolving in it, Ever pauses outside the bathroom. [say]"Ready?"[/say] He asks, trying to judge if there's been a sufficient amount of time for the bath to be filled with Mateo-covering-bubbles.

[say]"Okay,"[/say] Mateo says with a gentle nod, disappearing into the bathroom where the sound of running water, epsom salts and bubble bath will cover the sound of his breakdown. He ought to have asked Ever not to show him a mirror, in retrospect, because the mere sight of himself - and the missing hank of hair - has the sound of glass shattering that's hopefully muffled by the water.

Mateo hasn't cut himself or hit the mirror or anything so absurd. No, he's very calmly lifted it down from the wall and posted it unceremoniously out of the top of their bathroom window. Seven years of bad luck can sit on his dick and spin tonight, thank you very much.

Still muttering to himself in Italian about various hair care routines and how his favourite salon is all the way across town, Mateo almost misses Ever's call, but at least he's in the bath by then, covered in modesty saving bubbles. [say]"Mmhm, ready,"[/say] he calls back, wondering if he can hide under the water forever without it getting cold.

No, it doesn't mask it. The sound has Ever's head raising abruptly like some startled animal. Considering for a moment, he goes back to sending his various text messages. He'll clean up the alley below once Mateo is tucked into bed. Hopefully no one comes along, cuts themselves, and decides to sue before then. After the week the pair of them have had, he thinks they've deserve that much.

Opening the door slowly and peeking his head inside as if expecting that Mateo might not have actually been ready, Ever sighs to himself and pushes the door open. [say]"Here."[/say] Handing his friend the long-stemmed wine glass, Ever closes the door to keep the heat in and sits on the bathmat, leaning against the tub. Emotional unobservant as he might be at times, even Ever could understand that Mateo might not want to be seen just now. [say]"Operating instructions for the Dragonhawk Tattoo Gun."[/say] The paramedic begins, and though there's no real inflection in his voice as he reads, Ever's pacing is relaxed and his voice is pleasant enough to listen to.

[say]"Well..that's all."[/say] He mumbles, once he's gotten through the small booklet. [say]'I could...try and read it in german? Or..french?"[/say] Glancing over his shoulder at Mateo, Ever raises a questioning eyebrow.

[say]"Thank youuu,"[/say] Mateo almost sings to his friend, and a bubble covered hand comes out of the water to accept the glass without touching Ever, before carefully sequestering it back among the bubbles. Wiggling his toes under the hot water, he settles in to listen, his head lolling back against the tub so he can watch the pages of the instruction booklet flip and turn. The wine doesn't last for long, and as the pain relief it's laced with starts to take an effect, Mateo feels his eyes start to grow heavy.

[say]"Read it in Italian,"[/say] he suggests with a lazy smile, before shaking his head. [say]"I am only joking. I think I'd like to wash my hair and get out of the tub. I can take it from here, Ever. Your tattoo gun sounds cool."[/say] And he's hopefully going to dream about it, instead of phantom hands pressing all over his body.

RE: don't threaten me with a good time - Everest - 10-29-2021

Not seeing this for the joke it is, Everest flips the instructions over, and then upside down, his thumb on the perforated edge to try and see if Italian is one of the languages the manual has been translated into. [say]"Oh..oh, alright."[/say] Relieved that he won't have his terrible Italian picked apart by his roommate, Ever stands silently, and though he doesn't turn around, he does pause with his head cocked slightly. [say]"Let me know if you need anything else."[/say] He offers softly before exiting the bathroom to leave Mateo to his hair-washing.

When the florist goes to his room, he'll find his bed has fresh sheets, a waterbottle has been placed beneath his blanket, a cup of water and an aspirin are on his bedside table, and one of the yellow roses from the kitchen has been laid across his pillow.

RE: don't threaten me with a good time - Mateo - 10-29-2021

Mateo manages to get through the rest of his bath without tears or broken mirrors, and when he's finally cleaned up the tub and padded out and into his bedroom in a fluffy towel, he feels sort of put together. Of course, then he lays eyes on the perfectly thoughtful scene that Ever has left for him, and the waterworks come back in full force. He doesn't quite remember climbing into bed in the end, only that when his tired, bruised body succumbs to sleep, he's holding one of the rose petals between his fingers.

The sun had almost risen already when they'd gotten home, so it's well into the morning before Mateo surfaces. And when he finally does, it might be in old jeans, a slouchy hoodie and a beanie, but it's with a smile as well. [say]"Ever?"[/say] he calls as he shuffles out of his bedroom. [say]"Do you want to go to the zoo today?"[/say]

It isn't entirely clear if Mateo's wardrobe choices are because of what happened the night before, or simply because he hadn't done laundry. Deciding it best not to comment, Ever simply nods a silent good morning and tries not to read too much into anything Mateo either is or isn't doing. [say]'The..zoo?'[/say] Finding he doesn't immediately hate the idea—it being a weekday the zoo shouldn't be too crowded—Ever frowns thoughtfully and nods. [say]"That sounds nice."[/say] He agrees, surprising even himself by meaning it.

Hopping up onto the kitchen table as if offended she isn't enough wild animal for the two, Petunia offers Mateo an accusatory prrrrt? as she sits down directly ontop of the drawing Ever had been working on. Frowning at the cat but making no attempt to move her, Ever sighs and leans back in his chair.

[say]'Shall we get breakfast on the way?'[/say]

[say]"I don't think I have ever been, since I got to NYC,"[/say] Mateo admits, rocking back on the heels of his feet (his socks are bright purple, probably the only splash of real colour on him this morning) and smiling warmly at Petunia as she hops up onto the table. [say]"We will bring you back something nice,"[/say] he promises her, holding out the back of his hand for her to dutifully mark as her own with a furry cheek.

[say]"I would like breakfast. Or... brunch now, I guess?"[/say] He tilts his head at the window. The skies are clear and it's about as bright as November is going to get; certainly not early morning either way. [say]"Let me just get my shoes."[/say] Boots, rather, these ones clompy and steel toe-capped, and once he's done and shrugging into his coat, he pauses at the door.

[say]"Thank you again for last night,"[/say] he murmurs to his friend. [say]"You were... I'm really glad to have you as a friend."[/say]

Ever, who has been up for hours, merely glances at the clock and nods. It is closer to 'brunch' than to breakfast he supposes, not that someone like Ever has a good handle on what time constitutes brunch.

Dressed practically, Ever wears perfectly ordinary jeans and a black sweater. To this, he adds a scarf (bought for him by Mateo last Christmas and accompanied by a tale about how the florist received it as payment from a wandering spice merchant who had just come from the Himalayas and had no money), and a long wool jacket. Glancing up as his fingers work at the last of his buttons, Ever seems to freeze thoughtfully in place for a moment; digesting Mateo's appreciation seems to render the paramedic unable to move or emote.

[say]'You're welcome.'[/say] He replies stiffly, his cheeks colouring slightly. [say]"Is there an agreed upon time for when brunch begins and ends?"[/say] Ever wonders, open the door for Mateo whilst keeping an eye on Petunia incase she decided to make a break for it.

Petunia, at least, seems content to roll all over Ever's sketches, exposing an invitingly fluffy belly and appearing not remotely interested in the door. As a result, Mateo is able to shuffle out of the apartment without having to watch his feet, offering a dimpled smile as Ever speaks. He takes the bait and changes the subject as they plod down the stairs, Mateo burying his hands in the deep pockets of his coat and hopping out into the street.

[say]"I'd say any time between ten and midday?"[/say] he suggests, not that he knows that for sure. Either way, he's sure to find something worth eating, though he does dive into the flower shop quickly to check in with his boss and colleagues. Looking a little tearful but refusing to let it rattle him when he leaves, he tugs Ever along down the street.

[say]"Want dumplings? I know a stall that does some good dim sum."[/say]

[say]"Maybe brunch is closer to breakfast, than lunch, and bunch is closer to lunch, than breakfast."[/say] Ever suggests, mirroring Mateo and shoving his hands into his pockets as well. With a round or two of scrabble taken care of while Mateo checks in with his coworkers, the paramedic considers for a moment and in an absolutely uncharacteristic gesture, replies, [say]"Dim Sumbody say food?"[/say]

The pun feels awkward in his mouth, which is probably how he knows he's gotten the words right. His mother would have laughed, at any rate.

With his phone still in his hand, Ever peruses the zoo's homepage. [say]"Apparently one of the gorillas has just given birth."[/say] He reads. [say]"And one of the fennec foxes apparently paints using glow-in-the-dark supplies."[/say]