Court of the Fallen
don't threaten me with a good time - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Character Resources (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Forum: Not-Canon (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: don't threaten me with a good time (/showthread.php?tid=6304)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: don't threaten me with a good time - Mateo - 10-29-2021

Mateo almost chokes on his own spit to hear the pun spill from Ever's lips, however awkward it might sound. And that turns into a bark of laughter, the florist rubbing at the stubble on his cheeks and giving a side glance up at the other man. [say]"Dim sim it is,"[/say] he murmurs, leading the way towards the stall while Ever brings up the zoo's homepage on his phone.

[say]"Mm, glow in the dark paints?"[/say] He grins. [say]"I wonder if she's any good. Do they have penguins? I like penguins."[/say] He likes most animals, actually, taking a sudden sharp left so they can hurry towards Central Park (we'll imagine they live close by OK) and the delicious dumplings awaiting them. [say]"I think it's closer to lunch than breakfast, so this can be bunch,"[/say] he decides.

RE: don't threaten me with a good time - Everest - 10-29-2021

With a completely dry delivery, it's with an equally neutral expression that Ever nods in the wake of his friend's bright laughter. Walking easily at Mateo's side despite having no idea at all where they're going, the paramedic's eyes are perhaps a touch more aware of their surroundings than they might otherwise be. He also has two cans of mace with him, one in his jeans and one in his coat pocket.

[say]'What makes you think the artist is a girl?'[/say] Whether he's asking simply to fill the silence or as some poignant social remark is unclear. The closer they stroll to Central Park the busier things become even in the middle of the day. Unhappy about the amount of jostling bodies near his, Ever checks his phone for penguins. [say]"Looks like....no."[/say] Another few seconds of googling reveals that in fact, they're quite hard keepers. [say]"Do you still want to go?"[/say] He asks, in case penguins were the only real draw.

[say]'......This smells better than I gave it credit for."[/say] Ever murmurs, sniffing the air as they line up in front of the cart.

Sans mace and feeling remarkably safe with Ever by his side, Mateo of course is more at ease than ever with the bodies that start to crowd the streets. The more people, the less likely anything is going to happen to him, of course. [say]"Mm? Oh, all fennec foxes are girls. Everybody knows that."[/say] Either that or it's something Mateo mistakenly believed once, and it has carried through to adulthood. (Guess which?)

[say]"Aww. Of course I still want to go - I just like the way they look when they walk is all. We can see all the other animals."[/say] His smile is still bright and he's still got a spring to his step as they join the queue for the stall, and he bounces on the balls of his feet. [say]"Have you not had it before?"[/say] he wonders, sure he must have brought it home at some point on his travels. Either way, he places them both an order when it gets to their turn, the florist paying and waiting patiently for it to be done.

[say]'Ah.'[/say] Ever replies, doubtfully. Not only is it not worth arguing with Mateo about fox genders, but the paramedic can't actually be sure that they aren't all female. (Aren't there certain species of animal, which are entirely one gender?) Regardless. [say]"Not from here, no."[/say] Though work often requires that he and his partners eat wherever they can between calls, Ever does his best to refrain from eating things prepared in the back of a truck.

Opening his mouth to order for himself only to find Mateo doing it for both of them, Ever bites back a complaint and instead thanks the florist for brunch. People-watching with silent intensity while they wait, Ever nods Mateo gently and nods off into the distance where a man is getting down on one knee, presumably to do the obvious. [say]'Do you ever think you'll get married?'[/say] He wonders, sounded a bit far-away and concerned.

[say]"You are in for a treat,"[/say] Mateo assures his roommate, glancing over his shoulder to smile at him. A regular at the back of a truck or a stall (or some handsome Italian in a hospital bathroom), it's safe to say that the florist has experienced a rainbow of culinary delights. Not without risk, too, but he's certainly discovered a few safe options, and this is definitely one of them. He has both of their orders in his hands just as Ever nudges him, and he turns to scoot away from the dim sum stand so other people can get their food.

[say]"Oh, how adorable,"[/say] he coos at the couple, handing Ever his order and quickly stuffing a steamed dumpling into his mouth. And then, with equal cheer, [say]"No, absolutely not."[/say] Chewing and swallowing, at least, before he extrapolates, Mateo blows on his food to cool it down. [say]"I don't think it's for me,"[/say] he says. [say]"So much legal shit, and I dunno that I'd ever want to do more than live with someone. Even then."[/say] He wrinkles his nose; romantic commitment is a no thanks in his department.

[say]"How about you?"[/say]

Peering down into the recyclable box that's releasing enough steam for him to have a mini facial, Ever carefully unwraps his pair of chopsticks rather than simply diving in. [say]"I...always just assumed I would."[/say] The paramedic replies, picking up a dumpling and trying not to think too hard about how and where it was made as he blows on it. [say]"But now? I guess I just don't see how it would happen."[/say] Living the life he did there was simply no room or desire for a relationship, and though if pressed, Ever would probably still say that his "someday's" included a white picket fence and wife, it was becoming more and more of a fairy tale as the years went on.

The proposal has apparently not been entirely well-received given how the man is standing slowly, the ring still in his hand. The woman is smiling, but there's something tentative in her expression. [say]"It seems so strange that someone would just...pop the question before having some reason to believe their partner would say yes."[/say] Ever thinks, chewing a dumpling. [say]'Surely you should...sort of pre-ask if marriage is on the table, before bothering with the expense of a ring and whatnot?"[/say]

[say]"Yeah? We should get you on one of those dating apps. Bumble, maybe, where the girl can do all the choosing. You wouldn't want to offend anyone,"[/say] Mateo says, watching the slow rejection of the proposal while munching through his third dumpling, seemingly unable to take his eyes off the couple. (It's like a car crash, honestly, and he can't not watch it happen). [say]"If you want it, you can always help to make it happen."[/say] He smiles back across at his friend. [say]"I can always stay with a friend on your date nights."[/say]

But back to the not-proposal. [say]"I think it's a bit selfish,"[/say] he admits, blowing once more on his box of dumplings, not that the heat has stopped him from burning his mouth and enjoying every second of it. [say]"Obviously you should talk about it beforehand, right? So this guy obviously hasn't, and he's chosen a really public place to pop the question, hoping she'll feel too pressured to say no. Good on her, though - guy's a slimeball."[/say] Decision and judgement made, Mateo turns to continue his way towards the zoo.

RE: don't threaten me with a good time - Everest - 11-04-2021

Ever's expression immediately turns vaguely nauseous as dating apps are mentioned. [say]"I've heard studies that men with cats do statistically worse than men with dogs."[/say] He mutters, frowning. [say]'And you always tell me that I'm not a very good texter.'[/say] Ever adds, hoping this will dissuade any more talk of where Mateo might stay on DaTe NiGhTs if only because of what it implies Ever would be up to.

Eating a dumpling that has been sufficiently cooled off, Ever's brows come together as he turns to reassess the scene in light of Mateo's explanation. [say]"Do you really think he was being that manipulative?"[/say] Now the paramedic sounds a bit sad, and he eyes the would-be fiancé with a disappointed stare.

But now off to the zoo. Tickets paid for (as evidenced by the stamps on their hands), Ever sniffs a touch at the sudden blast of fragrant air as he picks up a map. [say]"Nocturnal animals are this way...the butterfly house is over there...africa is that way...asia over here, and...north America here."[/say] All of this is indicated on a sign post almost directly in front of them, that Ever has neglected to see. [say]"Where should we go first?"[/say]

RE: don't threaten me with a good time - Mateo - 11-04-2021

[say]"It is not so much that you are a bad texter - your grammar is very easy to understand. It is just your conversation and small talk that needs work,"[/say] Mateo explains gently, not for the first time. He doesn't catch the disappointed look directed towards the not-fiance, or Ever's statistics, because he's too busy trying to shovel the rest of his dumplings into his mouth before they get to the zoo.

And once they are inside, hands stamped and map obtained, he's looking around to try and decide for himself by the signpost what to see first. [say]"Oh, can we go to the butterfly house?"[/say] he asks, carelessly slipping his arm through Ever's and starting to step that way. [say]"There are supposed to be butterflies as big as your head in there."[/say]

[say]"I just never know what there is to converse about. Or make small talk about."[/say] Ever says with a disinterested shrug. [say]"What's the point?"[/say]

Not unlike the way a horse will grow more or less complacent when haltered and tugged along, so too does Ever accept Mateo's arm through his with relative ease. [say]"There is a species of month, the Atlas moth I think, that only lives for a few days. It doesn't eat, because it has no mouth. It literally finds a mate, lays an egg, and then dies. When it falls to the ground, it is absorbed and provides nutrients for other creatures."[/say] Ever explains, his voice low and even, an almost perfect replica of whatever Discovery network presenter he'd heard the information from in the first place.

[say]"Butterflies also can't bite or chew. They also don't have pain receptors, so they can't feel stress or pain."[/say] He continues—was this small talk? was he doing it right?—pausing only to open the door for Mateo. The glass building was kept a significantly warmer and more humid climate than the chilly November air outside, such that Ever finds himself immediately loosening his scarf.

It isn't small talk so much as it's a recital of an encyclopaedia, but Mateo loves it all the same. Perhaps others might find Ever's voice equally as soothing, but for now he's sort of glad that the other man doesn't want to hop on Bumble to be bossed around by some girl who probably won't get him. It means he gets to hear about the Atlas moth and the butterflies, and they stroll off to the exhibit without any complaint from him.

[say]"Do you think that we will see the Atlas moth in the butterfly house?"[/say] he wonders, smiling as it comes into view, though as a couple of men pass and give them a look that Mateo would usually shrug off or not even notice (two guys walking arm in arm, you know exactly the look), he instead carefully extracts himself from Ever.

[say]"I know a trick to help the butterflies land on you. You want to know what it is?"[/say]

[say]"No."[/say] Ever answers immediately with a shake of his head. [say]"Statistically it's more likely we'll see them as caterpillars, although they tend to get fungal infections if the air is too humid."[/say] Whether or not the air was too humid here, the paramedic of course has no idea.

Scarf loosened around his neck and feeling as though he's been transported to another world entirely given the lush vegetation around them, Ever turns and offers Mateo a skeptical stare. [say]"If you are going to suggest that I cover myself in honey or nectar, I agree that would attract them, but I don't want to do it."[/say] He says carefully. [say]"If you do, I'll take a picture for your Instagram though, if you like."[/say]

[say]"A fungal infection doesn't sound particularly fun, for a caterpillar or otherwise,"[/say] Mateo mumbles - he has already halted at a vending machine, feeding a wrinkled couple of dollars into it. [say]"Nectar and honey would do it, but this is easier to get hold of,"[/say] he says, waving a small bottle of orange juice at Ever. He sprinkles some on the backs of his hands and over his coat and in his hair (obviously), brightening as they enter into the vegetation of the butterfly house.

[say]"Would you? You always take the best pictures."[/say] It's true - for all of his lack of social awareness when it comes to conversation, Mateo has always found Everest to be quite the photographer. And as they begin their trek through the butterfly house, a brightly coloured specimen soon takes pride of place on Mateo's head, much to the delight of some passing children.

[say]"They can kill you quite easily. It's one of the reasons it's so important to keep your teeth and gums healthy. Dental infections can lead to a number of life threatening issues. Far more than people realize."[/say] Ever agrees, spouting random bits of knowledge without thought. Pausing as Mateo negotiates with a vending machine, Ever's brow furrows. [say]"I wonder if orange juice could be classified as nectar."[/say] He mumbles. [say]"If nectar is just sugary liquid produced by plants, then surely a sugar liquid in a fruit, which has been produced by a plant, might count?"[/say]

Nodding stiffly, the paramedic unbuttons his jacket. [say]"That's because I use the golden ratio."[/say] He agrees, thumbing his phone in his pocket. A hoard of children tug at Mateo's coat, urging him to bend down, mister! we wanna see! Ever, clenching his teeth slightly, pulls in a breath. [say]"Carefully. Butterfly wings are extremely delicate."[/say] He says in a voice that absolutely no child would ever pay attention to.