Court of the Fallen
don't threaten me with a good time - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Character Resources (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Forum: Not-Canon (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: don't threaten me with a good time (/showthread.php?tid=6304)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: don't threaten me with a good time - Mateo - 11-04-2021

[say]"That is gross, Everest,"[/say] Mateo says cheerfully, though he can't deny that his friend definitely comes with a great deal of useful information, albeit strange and macabre. Humming a note of oh, I see to hear about golden ratio (and knowing nothing about what that might mean, because Mateo usually just presses buttons and decides which filters look sexy), he gently drops down to one knee for the children to fuss about him.

A few more butterflies have come to say hello in the meantime and, hearing Ever's warning but being in a much better position to explain this to the kids, Mateo does just that, holding up a large, golden insect which has perched on the tip of his finger. [say]"Would you like to see them more closely as well?"[/say] he asks the paramedic.

RE: don't threaten me with a good time - Everest - 11-04-2021

[say]"Is it?"[/say] Looking perplexed, Ever blinks a few times as he tries to identify what part of what he said was gross, especially in the context of Mateo sprinkling juice all over himself.

Stepping back that his friend might be swarmed by butterflies and children alike, Ever pulls out his phone and takes a few mandatory candid shots. [say]"I'll, uhm...wait my turn."[/say] The paramedic says, eyeing the cluster of children as warily as he does the big butterfly on his friend's finger. A number of other butterflies have joined in, giving Mateo a crown so lush he'd have to explicitly say it wasn't a filter should he post the picture Ever had just taken of him.

Turning away, Ever frowns at a chrysalis that is half-opened, but upside down. Pressed into the slot between a leaf and a thick plant stalk, the wriggling creature inside was incapable of both defying gravity and forcing its way out at the same time. Glancing from the very clear DO NOT TOUCH OR REACH OVER THE DIVIDER sign right next to him, Ever pulls in on his lower lip as his gaze returns back to the struggling insect.

Wondering why Everest feels as though he needs to wait a turn to spend time with his friend, Mateo nonetheless leaves him to it, explaining to the children all about the butterflies and why they love him so much (lies, all lies) before eventually they all have to go on their way, the florist straightening up. He has to glance around to find Ever, tilting his head and approaching to stand beside him as he watches the struggling insect in the chrysalis.

[say]"Oh, that poor thing is stuck,"[/say] he remarks; unlike the other man, he hasn't actually seen the sign, but as he reaches out to help, another butterfly lands on the back of his hand. [say]"Ever, can you reach and help to get it out?"[/say] he asks, smiling up at him hopefully. With his entourage of colour, even though Mateo has tried to dress down for the day, he now seems as flamboyant as ever.

[say]"Thanks, by the way. I'm having a really good time."[/say]

RE: don't threaten me with a good time - Everest - 11-04-2021

[say]"Oh, but—"[/say] A large monarch butterfly halts Mateo's hand and so Ever's argument dies on his tongue. Inhaling sharply, the paramedic looks down at the sign again as if it might have changed. [say]"The sign says not to reach in, or touch. What if the oils from my hand harm it? Or if it's poisonous to touch?"[/say] It very likely wasn't; the sign was probably just the sort of thing that all exhibits had, so that tourists and children didn't reach in and pluck flowers and move about the dirt.

[say]"Well, we've only just started."[/say] Ever replies, and whether or not it's meant to mean that there's more fun instore, or that their day could still go downhill, is yet to be seen.

[say]"Can...will you help it? If I..."[/say] Reaching out a finger so that the monarch might cross the bridge from Mateo's hand to his, Ever nods toward the chrysalis knowing that his friend had very little concerns about rule-breaking.

[say]"I am not sure they would let something poisonous be in an open enclosure like this,"[/say] Mateo points out with a small smile, and he chooses to believe in the positive aspect of what Ever says about the rest of their day. They can finish here at the butterfly enclosure, and then go and see Africa and Asia and maybe pay a visit to the reptile house while they're there, and he hopes he might be able to persuade Ever to go on a carriage around the park when it's time to go home.

For now though, there is chrysalis rescuing to be done. Mateo allows the monarch to tip toe across his finger and onto Ever's hand, before he reaches out to readjust the leaves and the struggling insect with an ease and confidence that goes beyond rule breaking. As a botanist, he is at home in this sort of environment, and with a little teasing, the new butterfly is able to crawl out and rest as its wings dry out and unfold. [say]"There. Happy birthday,"[/say] he tells it with a soft smile.

RE: don't threaten me with a good time - Everest - 11-24-2021

It's either 5 am or pm; having worked a double shift, Ever has lost all track of time such that he isn't even confident what day it is. Juggling a massive poinsettia that he'd won in a raffle he didn't even remember entering, Ever fumbles his key into the lock and pushes open the door. Vaguely he registers that the apartment smells of spices, alcohol, and...burnt cookies? Or is that cat litter?

Yawning into the massive red leaves of the plant, Ever stumbles his way to the table to set the poinsettia down. Petunia is on him immediately to investigate what he's brought home, her tail flicking judgmentally back and forth.  [say]'Is Mateo home?'[/say] He asks her softly, reaching out to stroke her back (this she evades by apparently twisting her spine in impossible ways), mrrrting ominously under her breath as she bites one of the leaves.

RE: don't threaten me with a good time - Mateo - 11-24-2021

The spices are cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. The alcohol is brandy. And the burnt cookies are, in fact, burnt cookies; if Ever directs his attention to the kitchen countertop, he will see an array of (alcoholic) gingerbread stars. These are all of a perfect colour and texture, of course - the burnt ones (the ones responsible for the smell) have been disposed of.

And as for Mateo? [say]"I'm hoooome!"[/say] he trills, swanning out of his room dressed in a dark shirt and pants, with a burgundy waistcoat and a matching tie. And a pocketwatch. And smoky eyes. That should answer the question about the time at least - it's 5pm. [say]"Do you want to go to Margot's with me tonight?"[/say] he asks. [say]"The Christmas lights will be coming on, and I thought we could have a drink while we watch."[/say]

It has been a few weeks since the sexual assault and the butterfly house, and whilst Mateo is nowhere near back to his flamboyant self, he has managed to settle on a few outfits that are him enough to pass, and he's styled his hair in such a way that it hides that a hank of it is still missing. And that will have to do for now.

He's also (clearly) forgotten that Ever is coming off a double shift - hence the invite to cocktails.

Mateo seems to suck the energy out of the room, gathering it all around himself and glowing all the brighter for it. In response, Ever rubs at one of his eyes until he sees stars. Or maybe he's just seeing the stars on the kitchen counter, he can't really be sure. Vaguely he recognizes his roommate's ensemble and is glad to see that he's begun to wear almost entirely his own clothes again. Not that Ever minded, but it was certainly strange to find that all of his sweatpants had suddenly gone missing post-alleyway.

[say]"Who's Margot? Is she the...the one with the piercing?"[/say] He wonders. Given how hipster the city has become over the past few years, it's often hard to tell what's a cocktail bar and who is a person by name alone. [say]'When?'[/say] Ever asks belatedly, because of course he'll go, he just wonders if there's time to nap beforehand.

[say]"Margot's is no one. It's that cocktail place with the weird prohibition vibe - the one with the old school lantern out front and the secret knock for the door. I was just planning for us to go,"[/say] Mateo explains, tilting his head and side stepping to pick up the plate of star cookies, holding them out. [say]"I made brandy gingerbread. I wasn't good at it at first, but these taste pretty good."[/say] Ever might have different ideas, of course.

[say]"Mm? Oh, a couple of hours,"[/say] he says, setting the plate back down and turning towards the table, where Petunia and the poinsetta are in the middle of a fight. Mateo's shoulders sag instantly at the sight of the plant, and he tilts his head. [say]"How did that get into the apartment? Did it follow me upstairs from the shop?"[/say]

[say]"Oh, oh right."[/say] Ever mumbles and nods as if Mateo's explanation strikes a chord even though it doesn't. Person or bar, it hardly matters, so long as there's time to sleep before. Politely accepting one of the offered stars, Ever gives it an experimental sniff before taking a small bite. It actually isn't terrible, but not having a particularly large sweet tooth, it's not what he wants in his mouth after such a long day(s). [say]'Mmm. Really nice.'[/say]

Looking blearily down at the poinsettia, Ever nods, adjusting it almost apologetically as if a different orientation on the table might somehow make things better. [say]"No, I ... won it. In a raffle. I think it was for charity. I was going to give it to someone on my way home, but no one wanted it."[/say] Strange that, why wouldn't someone want a massive plant offered to them by a man spelling of trauma and looking like the walking dead.

Having stuffed one of the stars into his mouth as well, Mateo somehow manages to look suspicious of the poinsetta while munching on it. [say]"No one wants it because they're everywhere at this time of year. Everyone's probably got one on their windowsill,"[/say] he grumbles, though with a sigh, his shoulders sag and he shuffles across to plop down in front of the plant at the table.

Petunia rubs her cheek against his hand, accepting her scritches where they are due, before hopping down and mrowing away into Everest's bedroom, likely to sprawl out at the end of his bed. [say]"I suppose you are part of the family now, aren't you, piccolo."[/say] Mateo sighs to the poinsetta, then gazes up at Ever.

[say]"I'll take care of it. How was work...?"[/say]

[say]'I'm sorry.'[/say] Ever mumbles, knowing full well that the florist in Mateo both hated poinsettias, but was now obligated to take care of it. Watching Petunia out of the corner of his eye as she slunk into his room, he looks back at his roommate and shrugs. [say]"A drunk driver hit a family of four. I think everyone will be okay though."[/say] The holidays were not the merriest for Ever given the sudden spike of accidents and the like, but at least today (or last night, he can't remember), hadn't ended in trajedy.

[say]'Will you pick out something for me to wear tonight? And do my hair?'[/say] Ever asks, making it sound as if this is for his benefit instead of Mateo's. [say]"I'll be able to nap a little bit longer, and probably be a better companion tonight if you do."[/say]

[say]"It is not your fault,"[/say] Mateo says with a warm smile to his friend, waving him away. [say]"And I suppose it is not the poinsetta's fault either. We will make it beautiful and it will find a nice place in our apartment."[/say] For better or for worse. And if Petunia's judgement eventually leads her to knock the poinsetta off a surface so it smashes and is unsalvageable? Mateo will weep, of course. But he won't mean it all that much.

Wincing at the day(s) his roomate has had, Mateo huffs out a sigh that blows his curls up off his forehead. [say]"Sure, of course I will,"[/say] he says with a happy smile that suggests he definitely thinks he's doing a favour for his friend. [say]"You go ahead and get some sleep. When you wake up, we'll get ready and we'll go."[/say]

[say]'Okay.'[/say] Walking towards his room, already feeling sleep tugging at the balls of his feet, Ever sags against his doorframe. [say]"Wake me up whenever, so we have lots of time...to get..ready..."[/say] Tired as he is, Ever knows that there's no point in trying to move Petunia. Tired as he is, there's no point in even taking off his clothes, and so the paramedic opts to collapse sideways onto his bed, with a pillow between his arms, and his legs hanging off of the side.

This time of year Ever's dreams are usually plagued with scenes from his childhood. Of when his parents were both alive and Christmases were spent laughing together. Now there's just a clawing ache left by the traditions that went ignored, or the movies and songs Ever could no longer listen to. This dream saw a young Ever sitting between his mother's legs, as they both scream words at Finn, who was poorly trying to mime something out to them. Exasperated when the timer goes off, Finn announces that his charade had been of singing in the rain, to which both Ever and Tobi throw their hands up with happy tears streaming from their eyes.