Court of the Fallen
don't threaten me with a good time - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Character Resources (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Forum: Not-Canon (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: don't threaten me with a good time (/showthread.php?tid=6304)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: don't threaten me with a good time - Mateo - 12-27-2021

Luckily for Ever, Mateo's cheeriness more than makes up for Petunia's wrath, and now that he's inspected his leg (it's not bleeding) and has finished wrecking decorating his cinammon buns, he treats their cat's anger as a fond wake-up call. [say]"I thought it was nice. She looked adorable as she flung herself across the room. And she just wants to be grumpy and clean herself off, I'm sure she will be fine."[/say] He pats Ever's hand (covering it in icing, duh).

Watching as he crosses the room, Mateo rallies his Christmas spirit and is already leaning across to turn on their speakers, loading Spotify on his phone and starting up the kind of tinkling holiday music that never gets old. [say]"Nooo, I will make the coffee and you sit down and start opening presents!"[/say] he trills over the clonking of the coffee machine he still only sort of knows how to use.

RE: don't threaten me with a good time - Everest - 12-27-2021

It's the thought that counts, especially with Mateo, and though Ever immediately finds himself at the sink washing away his roommate's reassurances from his hand, he does so with a smile.

[say]"But—"[/say] Ever tries to protest, though knows it will be no use. [say]"Okay, well...check the fridge."[/say] Within the florist will find an elusive brand of salted-caramel flavoured cream, that Ever had to order straight from Italy (don't even get him started on the import fees, that cost more than the bottle of liqueur did), wrapped in an obnoxiously large bow.

So saying he meanders into the living room, and though he gives Petunia a healthy berth out of respect (and apology), he pulls down Mateo's stocking and sets it on the couch. [say]"Okay, but we have to do stockings together. Those are the rules."[/say]

[say]"The fridge...?"[/say] As the coffee machine grunts and complains its way through the task, Mateo goes to peek into said fridge. And one advantage of wearing one's heart on the very tippy-tip of one's sleeve is that gifts are always appreciated very openly. Mateo's gasp of utter delight is audible even across the room, and he's pressing his cheek to the (very cold) bottle as he turns to face Ever. [say]"Grazie mille!"[/say] he gushes, placing down said bottle and wrangling open the freezer to yank out the bottom drawer.

When he emerges to hold up said drawer, it will be to show Ever very carefully packaged parcels of pig, skin intact. [say]"I got you more tattoo practice!"[/say] He beams, bending to wrestle the drawer back in and finish their coffee, before hot-tailing it over to the sofa.

[say]"Okay okay okay,"[/say] he says, setting down their mugs and grabbing Ever's stocking before moving to sit with him, offering it out with a dimpled grin. [say]"Ta da!"[/say]

[say]"You're welcome."[/say] Ever calls back over his shoulder, though there is a very secretive smile growing wider and wider across his face. For all of Mateo's exhausting exuberance, there is something so absolutely pure and joyful about seeing him happy that warms Ever's heart, even if he wouldn't admit to it.

[say]"Mateo, wh—"[/say] Turning, and wondering why their entire freezer is being dismantled, Ever barks out a surprised laugh. [say]"Oh! Thank you!"[/say] He beams, genuinely appreciative of such a thoughtful and practical gift. [say]"I promise I'll keep it in the freezer this time, so it doesn't smell."[/say] He vows, before adjusting to make room for Mateo on the couch.

Both stockings were handmade, with each of their names laboriously embroidered on them. Ever had picked them up one year from a Christmas market, though he had to pay extra given that neither of their given names were common enough to have already been added. Inside Mateo's the florist would find a new pH meter for his soil amidst a wealth of chocolate and artisanal soaps. [say]"Those ones are from Europe."[/say] Ever points out, nodding at a wrapped bit of soap. [say]"It's actually for your hair, but they make it without bottles and things so that it's better for the environment."[/say]

[say]"I think you might be able to get away with keeping it on one of the window boxes if it keeps snowing,"[/say] Mateo says with a smirk, and he sips at his coffee and hums appreciatively around it before flumping back and trading stockings. Long fingers dance across the handstitched name, as they always do, before he delves in. Ooooing and aaaaing and thanking Ever at appropriate points, Mateo already has half a candycane poking between his lips when he is presented with the shampoo bar.

[say]"You know I get a hard-on for the environment."[/say] He winks, sniffing at it and seeming thoroughly impressed with Ever's choices. Indeed, the rest of the assortment receives a similar inspection, and the paramedic receives particular praise for the brand of pH meter he had chosen.

For Everest's part, he will find all of the gifts within individually wrapped (because this is Mateo). Some might consider the florist's choices strange and boring, but Mateo knows Ever. His stocking consists of comforting routines and replacements for existing items; his favourite chocolate, his usual brand of aftershave and deoderant, his usual colour of socks, a replacement strap for his watch (same colour) and a small selection of tattoo inks in a colour palette of moody blues.

[say]"Oh, there's a surprise at the bottom,"[/say] he adds, because Mateo can't resist. Ever will find a tiny plush sushi roll, a memory from his time naked and on incredibly strong pain medication.

Shyly and awkwardly Ever accepts Mateo's praise as best he can. Trying to open his presents as quickly and casually as was possible, with every bit of carefully torn paper, the paramedic is relieved to find things within he doesn't have to pretend to like. Not able to parrot Mateo's excitement, instead Ever offers a series of, I was almost out of this, thank you, or I was meaning to get another one, as his way of communicating his appreciation.

[say]"Mmm?"[/say] Distracted by the tattoo ink, and genuinely pleased by Mateo's choice of brand, Ever tilts his head having not realized that there was anything left in his stocking. Turning it over and shaking it out by the toe, for a moment he doesn't understand the significance of the sushi roll. Holding it in his fingers as if its meaning might be held in the plush grains of rice, it dawns on him slowly. Furrowing his brow and frowning, Ever's lower lip puckers out before he turns his head and fixes his roommate with a disparaging stare. [say]'You are the absolute worst, and I love you.'[/say] He mumbles earnestly, reaching out to draw the florist against him.

[say]"I...have something else, for you."[/say] Now, the thing about Everest, is that for all his personality quirks and traits, one of his most damning is thinking that his mother's death and his father's subsequent depression had to do with him. So to say he over does certain things (like gift-giving), as if it might make up for the fact that he had no real family save for the man sitting next to him on their couch, was an understatement.

Rising from the couch, Ever goes into his room and brings out a massive box that clearly weighs almost nothing. Having wrapped and hidden box after box after box within (some of the boxes were gifts for Petunia, of course), Mateo will eventually find a single envelope. Within said envelope? Two tickets to Italy.

[say]"I am the absolute worst, and I love you too,"[/say] Mateo says, his cheeks round and his smile more than a little smug, only for it to melt into genuine affection as he's hugged. [say]"Mm?"[/say] Embracing Ever back for a brief enough moment that it might not be considered awkward, the florist is left on the sofa as his roommate disappears back into his bedroom. [say]"Is it your blackout curtains? Oh, is it that lamp that changes colour?"[/say]

All of it is wrong, as Mateo will find out in just a few minutes. Digging into the boxes and playfully laughing and cursing Ever as he goes, even Petunia has decided that the ruckus is worth coming to investigate by the time Mateo nears the end of his gift. Indeed, she's peeking out at them from the massive box when the florist finally reaches his envelope, and upon seeing what's inside?

[say]"No, shut up,"[/say] Mateo almost hisses from behind the hand clapped against his lips, blue eyes wide as they flick up to Ever and back to the tickets. [say]"Ever what the fuck."[/say] Grinning helplessly now and with his eyes feeling terribly misty, Mateo all but flings his arms around his friend. [say]"Now all my presents for you seem like shit,"[/say] he says, laughing and playfully hitting the other man.

[say]"Just go buy your own if you like it so much!"[/say] Ever calls from his room. That isn't Mateo's style though, and one day the paramedic knows that his lamp will be gone. If he's lucky, it will at least be replaced by a flashlight.

The sound of Petunia's teeth against the cardboard as she reshapes her new kingdom is a welcome distraction. Every layer has Ever's heart pounding just a little bit harder and he's quickly realizing that he doesn't know where to look, or what he should do with his hands, and...well, what if Mateo hates it?

Holding his breath, his own blue eyes wide and his shoulders stiff, Ever just blinks expectantly. [say]'You hate i—'[/say] He begins, only to find a weepy Italian suddenly in his arms. The trouble with being a florist like Mateo, was not his impossibly high standards which meant that most people couldn't afford his plants, it was the relentless spending. Having known for a while that unless credit cards were involved Mateo likely wouldn't get back home anytime soon, Ever thought...well...what else was he to do with his money? And..Italy would be..fun, wouldn't it?

[say]"Your presents aren't shit. They're perfect."[/say] Ever murmurs, patting his friend on the back. [say]"They were on sale, anyway, so it was really cheap."[/say] (They weren't) He adds with a shrug.

Mateo mumbles something appropriately mushy and affectionate, but the words are lost because he's pressing his head against Ever's shoulder. There's something to the effect of they're not cheap in my heart and a flail towards the Christmas tree where a couple of brightly wrapped presents are still awaiting Ever's attention, but honestly, they don't compare to what the paramedic has just given him.

Wiping at his eyes and feeling thankful that he hasn't yet put any makeup on for the day, Mateo slumps back and gazes down at the tickets as though they're the holy grail itself. [say]"This means so much,"[/say] he murmurs thickly, sniffing and offering his friend a watery smile. [say]"Fuck you,"[/say] he says warmly.

The presents - not that Mateo thinks them worthy - consist of a set of artist's pencils as an upgrade to those Ever has been using, and a beautifully illustrated book on anatomy (for inspiration). There's also a small framed photograph of the two of them, from when they'd gone into one of those stalls and got to dress up in old-timey clothes. The photo is appropriately old timey as well, but the charming smirk on Mateo's face is all modern, all the time.

Despite offering Mateo an over-the-top gift already, as the florist nods that there are presents that require Ever's attention, the paramedic has the nerve (read: emotional damage) to feel inadequate. He should have gotten Mateo more things for his plants, or perhaps a scarf or a weighted blanket or something. Trying to hide his discomfort, Ever hugs the weepy man as long as he can endure it.

Doing his best to swallow down all of the emotional turmoil that comes with giving and receiving things, Ever does his best to mimic his friend's grandiose reactions, if only so that Mateo will know just how much it all means to him. [say]"Grazie mille."[/say] He offers, though it comes out more like grat-zee milly, which sounds like a new Hasbro game.

Brushing his finger over his and Mateo's faces in the picture, the paramedic has to laugh despite himself. [say]"I always thought you would blackmail me with this photo. And yet here it is, as a present."[/say]

Luckily Ever won't have to endure it any more than he already has - Mateo, still misty eyed and smiling and holding the envelope as though his friend has hidden his home country away in it, is well aware of the paramedic's proclivities. So it's with a mere sniffle and a grin that he nods his appreciation for Ever's attempt at Italian. [say]"It will do,"[/say] he says. [say]"We will have to download Duolingo for you before we go."[/say]

Dabbing at his eyes and finally setting the envelope safely in his stocking with his other gifts, Mateo puts it out of Petunia's reach and shifts to watch his friend open his own gifts. [say]"I would never,"[/say] he sings with a familiar mischievous twinkle in his eye. [say]"But you do have to find somewhere to hang it up in the apartment. For people to see."[/say]

Satisfied with that compromise (not that he has asked Ever if it works for him), the florist all but melts into their couch. [say]"So, is it the usual for dinner?"[/say] he asks. [say]"I'll make sure the wine is chilled, you make sure the Chinese food is ordered?"[/say]

Ever has already anticipated this, and though he has the app on his phone, he hasn't opened it yet. [say]"Luckily I will have a fluent Italian with me at all times."[/say] He points out, though it's said with a rise at the end in the hopes that Mateo will confirm that he won't dash away the second they land.

Opening his mouth to argue but immediately thinking better of it, Ever sighs and nods. [say]"Maybe in the entranceway. Right above where we put our keys."[/say] He suggests; if it's going to be a memory that Mateo shows to everyone, best to get it out of the way early.

[say]"And the episode of the Office with Belschnickle."[/say] Ever adds. Tobi had been from Pennsylvania, and though their origins weren't dutch, there was something charming and always amusing about Dwight's portrayal of the folk figure. Is this a hint you should hurry up and get to this episode? Yes it absolutely is.

[say]"Luckily you will have a fluent Italian with you at all times,"[/say] Mateo replies warmly and with a smile that indicates he will absolutely not be leaving Ever to the mercy of his mother country, especially when it's only thanks to him that they get to go. His blue eyes brighten further and he nods his agreement to the placement of the picture, already able to visualise it.

[say]"That all sounds perfect,"[/say] he says with a whimsical sigh, both to the picture and to the Office I will I will I will OMG. Reaching once more for his coffee, Mateo raises his mug to clink it against Ever's. [say]"God bless us, everyone,"[/say] he says, pitching his voice to match Tiny Tim YOU need to watch the Muppets Christmas Carol.

RE: don't threaten me with a good time - Everest - 01-15-2022

[say]"I know it's early, but I have to go to work this afternoon."[/say] Ever soothingly explains, handing Mateo a water bottle in the hopes he can wrangle his friend's cup of coffee away from him. Around them, there are men in various states of undress (and as always, one naked and overly confident one strutting about on his way back from the shower). Having brought just the one lock assuming he and Mateo could share, Ever peels his shirt off and carefully folds it on one of the benches, taking special care to smooth away all the wrinkles.

[say]"I think this gym offers a free personal trainer your first time in. Probably to trick you into buying a subscription you don't need, but.."[/say] Shrugging, he reaches into a bag to remove a square bundle of grey fabric which he slips over his head.