Court of the Fallen
i think this is what comes next - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: i think this is what comes next (/showthread.php?tid=6331)

Pages: 1 2

i think this is what comes next - Everest - 10-16-2021

[say]"Uhm, can you—"[/say] Ever's voice is lost amongst the throng of Torchers who flutter and push through the streets, none of whom are paying any attention to him. Looking lost and quite small, the Hart boy frowns, clutching a strange bouquet of...mushrooms?, bound by waxy-brown paper and string. [say]"—excuse me—"[/say] He tries again, to no avail. Frowning again, Ever tries to puzzle out what Mateo would do in this situation (the situation being in Torchline, alone, and having no idea where to find Paige).

He really should have sent a letter, like she did. Ravens always knew where to go.

Sitting himself down on a bench, the boy from Stormbreak who had never before been to Torchline, set his mushroom bouquet down next to him so that he could reach for his notebook. Surely Paige had told him her last name or some other detail that would help him find her, and if she had, it would be in the pages of his book.

RE: i think this is what comes next - Paige - 10-16-2021

Had Ever written down her last name, it's Berkley in case you don't remember, it wouldn't have really done him too much good. Her mother didn't really give out her last name. There was no need for it. Paige's father had been gone long enough that no one really even knew her last name in a way that mattered. Of course, this would matter to Ever because everything mattered to Ever. Still, all it would have gotten him was a few quizzically raised brows and perhaps a couple of scoffs. Nothing of any real help would have come from it.

Lucky for him he didn't need her last name. As per usual, Paige wasn't home and instead was wandering the streets of Torchline like she normally did. While the weather was much cooler here there were no need for heavy layers and thus she was dressed in a light sweater, arms swinging at her sides as she ducked and weaved through the crowd, stopping suddenly when she spotted a rather familiar mop of curly hair. [say]"Ever?"[/say]

Brows drawing together and head cocking to the side Paige slipped from the main flow of pedestrians, approaching the bench slowly before a smile spread across her face, [say]"Oh it is you! I didn't think it was really you at first."[/say] She began, coming to a stop in front of him, blue eyes shifting between his face and the other items he brought with him. [say]" You came to Torchline. I wasn't sure you got my letter."[/say]

RE: i think this is what comes next - Everest - 10-16-2021

At the sound of his name, Ever's head shoots up, his blue eyes wide and looking very alert. It's with a mixture of concern and relief that he spies Paige. His stomach does this weird flutter of anxiety that has him swallowing hard, and he rubs one of his cheeks against his shoulder as if he might wipe away the heat he can feel there. [say]"Yes, it's me."[/say] He agrees with a clumsy nod, rising to his feet.

[say]"No, I did. The raven delivered it right away."[/say] Ever replies in a hurried stream. [say]"I just...uhm.."[/say] Cheeks darkening, the boy swallows. [say]"Well, no one has ever given me a present like that before, and I didn't know what to do, and so I asked around, and..uhm..."[/say] At a complete loss for words now, Ever frowns, considers, and then awkwardly turns to the bouquet left on the bench. Thrusting it toward Paige, he explains. [say]"Uhm, these are for you. They aren't flowers because...well...that's Mateo's thing."[/say] (So?) [say]"And mushrooms are really easy to take care of if you want them to grow, or you can eat them, and if you just throw them away because you don't want them, then they'll help the soil."[/say]

His cheeks go pink and Paige knows for a fact it isn't from the sun or the cold. Neither of them are enough to do that to even the likes of her with her much paler skin. She doesn't laugh as he fumbles with his words. Instead her expression softens and with it so does her smile. It's still just as bright and warm, something she can never really shake, but that typical mischievous glint that lights up her eyes is replaced with something else entirely. [say]"It's okay, Ever. I was just worried it maybe got lost or that you guys didn't want to come see me."[/say] She tells him truthfully, shrugging her shoulders as she scuffs the toe of her shoe against the ground, peeking up at him from beneath her lashes.

Her own cheeks grow pink as he thrusts out the bouquet of mushrooms and she reaches for them, fingers brushing against his as she draws back, lifting her other hand to trace one of the waxy caps. It was so very Ever. Ever Hart, giver of mushrooms because flowers were Mateo's thing and they could be used in many different ways, therefore making them the perfect gift. They were perfect. Never before had she thought mushrooms would be a good gift, but here he was proving her wrong.

[say]"Why would I throw them away? I wouldn't ever throw away something you gave me."[/say] That anyone gave her really, but that wasn't the point. She glances back up at him, smile faltering as confusion takes over instead, filtering along their shared bond to mingle with her excitement at seeing him again.

[say]"Oh, no, not at all. I...just thought it was better to know what to do before replying."[/say] He says. Think first, and act...well, probably not second. Second was probably panic, or overthink. The point was, thinking absolutely came first, with action much much farther down the line.

As her fingers brush against his, Ever can feel his heart leap into his throat and seemingly expand five sizes until it feels hard to breathe. Simultaneously his heart sinks into his heels, making it feel as though he's rooted in place. [say]"Oh, uhm. I suppose if you thought that they were stupid, or didn't like them.."[/say] He says with a small, self-conscious shrug, before his blue gaze meets hers and he finds he agrees with her on this point. [say]"No, me neither."[/say] Because that would be rude. Pulling up the sleeve of his cardigan slightly, he rolls his wrist that she might see the bracelet she'd given him.

[say]"Also,"[/say] Paige will likely feel a bright flush of trepidation warble out of the boy, as his cheeks grow hotter and his gaze drops somewhere near the girl's shoulder. [say]"I..uhm...well, you see.."[/say] He stammers, uncertainly. [say]"I really don't like being touched."[/say] Ever eventually mumbles, his gaze lowering even more as if he was confessing to a crime. [say]"I don't like how it makes me feel."[/say]

Another answer that makes perfect sense. She nods, [say]"I'm glad that was it instead of you not wanting to see me."[/say] The girl says softly. He's not the only one feeling a bit shy today. Though, it's rather uncommon for someone like Paige who typically isn't anything close to the word.

Paige huffs out a breath, shaking her head quickly, clutching the mushrooms all that much more closely to her chest. [say]"I wouldn't ever think that. You picked them just for me and that makes them special."[/say] She says firmly. A conviction in her voice that most adults find hard to replicate, but Paige doesn't struggle at all. To her it is simply the truth. He could have brought her a rock and she would still have loved it all the same simply because he thought of her. The sight of the bracelet on his wrist makes her smile all over again. She'd been right. The stones do go perfectly with his eyes. [say]"You like it then? I picked them out special from the Rainbow Road. I thought about sending you water, but I didn't think that a raven would be able to carry it."[/say]

She isn't expecting what he says next and instantly guilt washes over her as her mind flashes back to all the times she's unknowingly caused him discomfort. Her brows knit together and her shoulders slump, a pit growing in her belly, [say]"Oh... I didn't know. M'sorry. I wouldn't have held your hand or anything if I'd known."[/say] Paige mumbles, shifting from foot to foot, dropping her gaze as she worries her bottom lip between her teeth. She never wanted to make him feel badly.

[say]"I won't do it again, okay? Not unless you say it's okay."[/say] The girl finally settles on, trying to manage a smile so he didn't feel bad about telling her, having a feeling he likely would. [say]"Would you like to see the Rainbow Road? We could go there or maybe down to the beach."[/say]

Ever doesn't know Paige well enough to be able to gauge what is or isn't her norm. In later months or even years though, perhaps he might look back on his moment and see the memory through eyes that know the girl better. For now, he simply bites at the inside of his cheek and nods. [say]"I've never had anything like this before. My mom doesn't wear any jewellery because of her job, and my dad...just doesn't."[/say] So it was that by default neither did Ever.

Pressing his teeth together and shaking his head, Ever emits a sound a bit like a wounded animal. [say]"No, no. Don't feel bad. My dad says it's my fault for not saying something. You didn't know."[/say] This is meant to make her feel better, of course. [say]"But yes please. I will tell you if I want you to, okay? And you can tell me."[/say] Something about Paige made Ever feel as though she'd always happily accept a hug or to have someone reach across and pick and eyelash off her cheek, but consent went both ways after all.

[say]"Maybe the beach?"[/say] Ever says, trying on a reassuring smile which fits him poorly. [say]"It's really hot here."[/say] It wasn't, but compared to Stormbreak it was. [say]"I've never seen the ocean up close before, either. Can you show me?"[/say]

Neither of his parents might have worn much jewelry, but Paige thinks it suits him. She'd made it special, keeping in mind how simplistic his tastes were, noting the colors he wore and the things he liked. She might not be a notetaker like the Hart-boy, but it didn't make her any less observant. Which was why she thought the bracelet was the best fit for him and now seeing it on him she's glad to note that her thought had been correct. [say]"I think it looks nice on you."[/say]

And it does make her feel a bit better. There is still a swirling of guilt in her belly for doing it without asking in the first place, but she had to remember that she was brought up very differently. Her world was one of touch freely given and received. All of it was done with consent, but it was an ongoing consent. Something that went unspoken in the big house. Still, she would make these changes for Ever. The last thing she ever wanted to do was upset him. [say]"Okay. That sounds like a good idea. Thank you for telling me."[/say] Her smile comes much more easily now that they have that sorted. It's so simply to do when you're this young. If only things stayed that simple.

She giggles softly, wrinkling her nose at him, [say]"It'll be windier by the water."[/say] Paige informs him, glancing back over her shoulder towards the street. It was still thick with people and she presses her lips together for a moment, clearly thinking hard about something, [say]"You might want to hang on to my sleeve or something. It's easy to get separated here."[/say] Paige suggests, turning back to him and extending her hand, having tugged her sweater down so the end of it is hanging over her hand and covering her skin. [say]"I'll show you. There are all sorts of shells and tide pools and sharks teeth."[/say] She waits until he grips onto some part of her before leading them into the crowd and down towards the water.

Despite her size, Paige does a very good job of making sure that no one gets too close to Ever. There are shouts of 'excuse me' and 'watch it' and even a few 'back offs' when people get too close. Soon, they mange to make it to a small path that heads down between the dunes towards the beach, the sound of waves greeting them as a crisp breeze comes off of the ocean carrying the smell of salt on the air towards them.

RE: i think this is what comes next - Everest - 10-20-2021

[say]"..'welcome."[/say] Ever replies bashfully, feeling that same swirling uncertainty that Paige was; that this-isn't-quite-right pit of tar that was slowing and growing heavy in his gut. But, he'd set boundaries like his dad had said, and Paige accepted them. So...you know. It should all be fine.

So why didn't it feel fine?

[say]"No that's okay. I think I'll be—"[/say] fine, is what he's about to say, only for the words to be lodged in his throat as a donkey-cart full of bananas separates him from Paige, and thus reinforcing the importance of holding on. [say]"—k!"[/say] Grabbing her sleeve and the hand therein (it was still touching, but better this way, and Ever appreciated the effort immensely), Ever allows Paige to wind and shout her way through the crowd until they're nearly at the beach.

[say]"Whoa..."[/say] Ever breathes, forgetting to let go of Paige's sleeve as the massive wall of blue hits him. With his mouth agape, for a moment he can't do anything more than stop and stare. [say]"It...it's so...big, and...it doesn't look so upset from down here."[/say] With storms aplenty in Stormbreak and from the city's his vantage point, the ocean below always looked gray and angry.

RE: i think this is what comes next - Paige - 10-21-2021

He is fine in the end. She doesn't let him get lost and he still takes her hand. It makes her feel good that he trusts her enough with this in the first place. Her touching him. She knows how important it is to him if he told her. Paige turns to grin at him as they stop at the top of the path, the ocean stretching out before them, waves lapping almost lazily at the shore.

The water wasn't anywhere near as choppy as it could be during Flowerbirth. The storms weren't coming in yet and there is nothing but gently rolling waves to greet them. Paige gives him a little tug, drawing him forward and down onto the beach proper, pausing by a nearby piece of driftwood to take off her shoes. She carefully sets her mushroom bouquet down, making sure it isn't going anywhere before he bag follows it, placed beside her gift and shoes. [say]"It's not usually angry during Deepfrost. Only in Flowerbirth when it's monsoon time. Do you want to get closer?"[/say]

She knows it won't be too cold yet. They could probably dip their toes in at the very least. Maybe even look for conch shells along the shoreline in the shallows.

RE: i think this is what comes next - Everest - 10-22-2021

Tugged forward onto the sand, Ever blinks and stares down, surprised by how easily it moves beneath his feet despite looking so solid. Watching as Paige removes her shoes, Ever frowns as he considers his own footwear. [say]"You don't...wear shoes on the beach?"[/say] He asks, wanting to follow decorum but also sounding quite unsure about it.

[say]"I've only ever seen the monsoons from the cliffs. It looks like all of Torchline gets swallowed up by black clouds, but I never imagined what it would be like being here for it."[/say] And indeed now that he has, Ever is gripped by panic and an overwhelming empathy for every single resident of Torchline.

[say]'Uhm.'[/say] The boy blinks, staring at the ocean as if one of the waves at any moment might decide that shoreline wasn't good enough, and lunge out to grab him. [say]"Sure. Okay."[/say]

RE: i think this is what comes next - Paige - 11-13-2021

Paige releases Everest once they are on the beach, not wanting to hold onto him any longer than necessary lest she makes him uncomfortable by doing so. [say]"It's easier to walk without them cause your toes can stabilize you better."[/say] Paige explains the thought behind not wearing shoes, knowing that an explanation like that would make a lot more sense than saying it simply feels nice not to wear shoes when walking on sand.

[Say]"Last year's monsoons we're really bad. The Halenani, where me and my momma lived, fell down cause of the storms. My auntie Maeve was stuck inside for a bit, but Mr. Jata got her out. That's why we have the new big house."[/say] She shrugs her shoulders, waiting for Everest to remove his shoes before suggesting they get closer to the water. [say]"This year though we'll have a barrier of stars thanks to Safrin."[/say]

Paige smiles reassuringly towards her friend, taking a few steps towards the shoreline, [say]"I bet we can find some pretty shells down there. Maybe even a few crabs."[/say] She was hoping there would a tidal pool or two, thinking the Hart boy might like to see one up close.

RE: i think this is what comes next - Everest - 11-13-2021

[say]"Oh."[/say] Ever says, considering, and then nodding his understanding. [say]"Okay."[/say] So saying, he removes his shoes and finds that it is easier to walk on the sands. Grinning at Paige, his expression falls sombre as she explains about the monsoons. [say]"Thanks to Safrin?"[/say] He wonders, before mentally giving himself a shake. [say]"I'm really sorry about your house. I'm glad that you and your mom are okay."[/say] Ever quickly adds with an apologetic smile.

[say]"Crabs? Yum."[/say] And as if on cue having heard the name of one of their favourite snacks, a flock of Hels launches from where they'd been roosting on the nearby trees, descending toward the two children with bright and hungry calls.

[say]"Hey!"[/say] Ever shouts, swatting at the birds with his shoes. [say]"Stop that!"[/say] Which of course has absolutely no effect on the birds whatsoever.

RE: i think this is what comes next - Paige - 11-23-2021

Paige smiles brightly as he gets his shoes off, pleased that he trusts her reasoning enough to follow through and even happier when it seems easier for him to move across the sand. The young Attuned nods at his words, [say]”Mr. Sunjata and the other Torchers did a lot of work for it to happen. Safrin gave them a quest for it. Now we’re supposed to be safe during the monsoons.”[/say] She says, drawing closer to the edge of the water and flashing another easy smile to her friend. [say]”It’s okay. We have a new house and no one was really hurt.”[/say]

Hels. Why is it always Hels? Paige waves her arms at the annoying creatures, [say]”Go away! We aren’t hunting for you!”[/say] They aren’t deterred by their waving or shouting and Paige growls under her breath. [say]”Maybe if you shift and bark at them they’ll fly away?”[/say]