Court of the Fallen
[Training] [se] life scorches sometimes - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: [Training] [se] life scorches sometimes (/showthread.php?tid=6427)

Pages: 1 2

[se] life scorches sometimes - Melita - 11-11-2021

Beneath the lush blaze of spring, with a hum and light, nymph-like movements, the youth had scoured for a few more rocks for future gifts, but otherwise, tended to her own means and measures along the prismatic embankment. While Fangorn meandered along long reeds and grasses, fumbling around for insects brave enough to forge along the warm patches of water, she reached into her bag. Rarely doing anything quiet, rifling through its contents, she snarled at herself. [say]”Where is it…”[/say]

Eventually, the youth procured what she was looking for, with a vicious curl of her mouth, as if she’d triumphed over the inanimate object. [say]“Aha, got you!”[/say] With a little screech a triumph, she snagged at the whetstone, then procured an assemblage of her throwing knives (for she always knew where those were). Settling herself along a rock, items all scattered amongst her, she began to sharpen the daggers in turn, ensuring their serrated presences remained so – and all the better for her vehement, violent, manners.

RE: [se] life scorches sometimes - Locke - 11-16-2021

He never noticed how much he loved the sun in Torchline until he had been deprived of it for a half season. He never noticed how much he missed color until it had been taken from him too. He had come here, just passing through on his way to the shrine, but never before had he stopped to enjoy the beauty. Maybe he just has a new appreciation for life or something.

A familiar voice catches his ear and he turns towards the sound. Speaking of color, there were few so distinguishable as the red head just down the way from him. [say]"Melita~"[/say] He calls in a half sing-song as he makes his way towards her. He knows little of the girl before him but he likes her. Actually, he feels that way about a lot of people. [say]"What have you got?"[/say] The man pauses just a few feet from her, leaning down to look at what she's holding.

Oh. Knives. His favorite.

RE: [se] life scorches sometimes - Melita - 11-16-2021

At the sound of her name carried on a masculine singsong, her eyes raised up from her craftmanship, arching a brow, turning, and then finally pinpointing upon Locke. Half a snort ensued from her, shrugging her shoulders in the carefree breeze, an ease to movements and motions as she returned to the whetstone. Lifting a dagger to inspect the level of serrated edges and proportions, she indulged him. [say]“Hi Locke,”[/say] came on a wave, and an enthusiastic smile (bordering maybe more on Cheshire, given the weaponry in her hands) following. [say]“Just sharpening my knives.”[/say] Like any normal, rational person would do.

Considering she hadn’t seen him in a while, as she couldn’t recall him passing through during LongNight or Deepfrost in particular, she hummed another note, content to lower her head and continue striking the armaments against the rock. [say]“What have you been up to?”[/say]

RE: [se] life scorches sometimes - Locke - 11-27-2021

She brandishes her knives and if he didn't know her so well, he might've been worried. But Melita has only ever been kind to him. Which begs it's own questions but he's not here to do any soul searching. [say]"Should always have a sharp knife. Never know when you're going to need to fillet a fish or a man."[/say] His grin is equally mischievous.

He draws closer to her, sitting down on a rock a few feet away and stretching his legs into the warm water. He takes a moment to soak in the sun and briefly thinks of shifting before realizing how much of a hassle that is around non-attuned. [say]"Got lost in the Wilds, got found in the Wilds. Made my way home. The usual."[/say] He rolls his head to look at her properly, [say]"And you? Did the Ark sail while I was gone?"[/say]

RE: [se] life scorches sometimes - Melita - 11-27-2021

At his grin, hers grew equally Cheshire; much like the cat who’d snagged the canary, and quite frankly, didn’t give a damn. [say]“Mostly men,”[/say] and she winked – leaving him to wonder exactly how many she’d stabbed, brutalized, or beaten down in her short amount of time on this earth.

The serrated edges were glistening things upon inspection, and she hummed again, content with their state. Locke’s explanations were intriguing; she’d known a few now to be lost amongst the Wilds. It seemed to be an easy thing to do, given either a lack of portals, directions, and the still vibrant newness of the world. Opened up – but not for so very long. [say]“Where did you end up this time?” [/say]

At his last question though, the snicker returned, complete with a rally of warm laughter. [say]“Oh, only briefly. But it was a good one.”[/say] Her eyes flickered upwards, as if the ship might come out of the sky. [say]“Jack made some sort of deal with Safrin, and now the damned thing flies.”[/say]

Mostly men, huh? Well maybe he should watch his skin then, should it become filleted. Her grin seems to say it wouldn't be the first time and he's curious about that too, but he doesn't press. He quite likes how little he knows of her and how little she knows of him. He watches her sharpen the blade, thinking about interjecting but refraining. Her skills might be better than his. What a chef he'll make.

[say]"King's End, for a bit. S'cold there."[/say] He neglects to mention who he stayed with or that he stayed with anyone at all. He doesn't know much of her relationship with the men and he was tasked with keeping a secret. And he'd keep it until someone offered him something worth more to him.

Locke's face twists in confusion for a moment before he rolls his eyes, [say]"I'm not a child, Melita. A flying ship? From Safrin? For Jack? Surely you can come up with better stories than that."[/say]

[say]“My uncles are in King’s End,”[/say] she makes some half-hearted shrug; not relaying where, since that was made to be some semblance of a secret. And she can keep those – even if one of them constantly irritates her. [say]“I think it’s beautiful, cold or not.”[/say] With fields upon fields of flowers, stone benches, mysterious archways that led to nowhere, and barrows masquerading as rolling hills. It was a place her sister, and her mother, would have relished and enjoyed. So she did so every so often, simply for them.

While she wished her story about the Ark was a trick, a joke, simply because the whole damned thing did sound like something out of a fairy tale – she laughed. [say]“I promise, I’m not lying!”[/say] She flipped one of her knives along her fingers, until the hilt was in her palm, steady and relaxed. [say]“Jack is apparently a Safrin man now.”[/say] That even sounded bizarre to say. [say]“Come on, with all the things you’ve already experienced from gods, surely this isn’t out of the realm of possibilities.”[/say] And there she tilted her head, arching her brow in his direction, daring him to defy that reel of logic.

He didn't know anyone else lived in King's End. He doesn't remember seeing or smelling anyone. Was she related to Sunjata or Nate? Maybe? He licks his lips, trying not to think too hard about that train of thought. [say]"I'm not one for the cold. Prefer the sunshine, if I'm honest. Was pretty though, 'specially during LongNight. The way the moon reflected off the snow.."[/say] Almost as pretty as the sun reflecting off the waves.

[say]"Do I look like the kind of man who deals with the gods much? I've met Frey, once, and was cursed the second time I went to a shrine. But you're right, it's not that strange. Well, not the flying ship anyway."[/say] He kind of shrugs his shoulders, [say]"Guess I didn't peg Jack as someone who would.. be much for the gods."[/say] Somehow, despite what little he knows of the man, the Captain following Safrin was less believable than a flying ship to him.

Preferences to sunshine were a given with Torchline inhabitants – so she shrugged her shoulders, balancing the knife on a few fingers before twirling it around again. At the last range of remarks, she laughed, shaking her head; and while she did feel bad about the whole curse thing, hadn’t he pledged himself to these gods? [say]“You’re Attuned. Kinda goes with the territory.”[/say] Her brow arced, lilting upwards, before pressing back down again, stare rendering elsewhere, along the pool embankment. [say]“Neither did I. But if Safrin had made Jack an offer…,”[/say] or vice versa, both were known for their statures in manipulation.

The honeybee wrinkled her nose once more, contemplating, but then not diving much deeper into the notions. [say]“Well, if you have time to kill, do you want to train again?”[/say] She had her knives, and a multitude of other weapons at her disposal. Maybe there was something else Locke wanted to work on.

RE: [se] life scorches sometimes - Locke - 11-29-2021

[say]"Does it though?"[/say] He never pledged himself to the old gods, to Frey. For some, that might make them more of a believer, for him though? He's not so sure. But that's for him to sort out. He looks at Melita, noting the way she says 'offer' with curiosity. He might have to talk to the captain soon. [say]"I suppose a flying ship is a hell of an offer."[/say] He'd probably be a good little boy in exchange for a flying ship. Being a pirate might not be so bad after all.

Her question perks him up though, drawing him away from flights of fancy. [say]"Sure. I suppose I should spend more time training rather than baking cakes all day. Oh, cakes. If you want, come by the Halenani and I can bake you something, since you've been so helpful."[/say] Locke pushes himself off of his rock, reaching behind himself. He pulls out his own knife, if you could call it that. It's a bit long but it works well enough.

[say]"Want to try hand to hand with those? I haven't done it in a minute so I might be rusty."[/say] He's also pretty sure she has throwing knives but she's surprised him plenty of times at this point.

RE: [se] life scorches sometimes - Melita - 11-29-2021

She arched her brow, then furrowed it in response. Uncertain really, by what he meant. Perhaps he was like many who thought themselves not quite so bound because they hadn’t said the subtle words or the overt pledges. Maybe they tried skirting around the issue. It would all likely remain to be seen in the end, so she shrugged her shoulders, letting the topic dissolve and fade.

As far as training though, the youth perked up at his acceptance, and the offer of cake. [say]“I’ll be owed multiple cakes by now, surely,” [/say]and her grin was a fanged, Cheshire-like thing; though he’d probably figure out she wasn’t kidding or bluffing on the terms now.

Her eyes went to his knife, and then her own assemblage. Stowing the newly sharpened ones away, she snagged back into her bag, and along her calf, and any other place where she claimed her own veritable armory. Content with the long dagger she’d snagged from around her leg, she clenched it in her palm, neatly, efficiently, as if the weapon had been created to fit into her hand. [say]“Your move,”[/say] she honored, rendering an efficient fighting stance – Fangorn wisely maneuvering out of the way.

RE: [se] life scorches sometimes - Locke - 12-07-2021

[say]"I like baking."[/say] She can take that how she will. He runs his thumb over the handle, feeling the way his fingers fit into the grooves. It feels good, natural, like who he used to be before he was a father and a baker.

She gives him first move and he has to remember how to do just that. The water sloshes around his legs as he steps forward, to the side, keeping space between them. He's taller, has a longer reach, but she has more weapons on her person. He's seen her with a bow before but never in hand to hand.

He moves slowly, watching her with narrowed eyes. A beat passes and he steps closer, quickly, blade slicing horizontally. He's merely aiming for the blade in her hand, trying not to hurt her.

RE: [se] life scorches sometimes - Melita - 12-08-2021

Melita had spent a long time in her short life training in a variety of weapons. While she preferred the range of her bow and staff, the youth implemented hand to hand combat on the regular, either with serrated edges or her own damned fists and feet. So there was a glimmer of a smirk as Locke trailed along the water, an impeccable thrill of natural abilities and relishing in capabilities –

And then he came after her blade, instead of her.

Melita was treated to the slightest amount of shock, jaw dropping included, as it sailed into the air, and a merry little plop reeled as it sank into the water. Then she snorted, shaking her head, amused but irritated all at once – at being too cocky, too slow, too overzealous.

While Fangorn went into retrieval mode, the honeybee grabbed the dagger by her lower ankle, and rushed, aiming to duck below Locke’s arms and slash at the clothing gathered along his ribs.

RE: [se] life scorches sometimes - Locke - 12-08-2021

He's not expecting her to just let him knock the knife out of her hand like that. Even he is momentarily confused as it goes sailing away. He tries to recover before she can, taking a half-step back. Except Fangorn catches his eye and oh fuck, does he have to worry about the fucking vegetation having knives?

The distraction is just enough that he forgets Melita until she's in his space. The dagger rips through his shirt and skims across his skin. It's not deep but it burns and he can feel the sticky heat of blood. [say]"S'not fair if he plays."[/say] Locke mutters as he ducks forward again, swinging. He aims for her side, again, not to harm, just to.. Train.