Court of the Fallen
darken, deep - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: darken, deep (/showthread.php?tid=6444)

Pages: 1 2

darken, deep - Remi - 11-16-2021

Once upon a time Remi could move through the ocean with relative ease. As a giant pacific octopus he was large, yes, but not unseemly. He might catch the gaze of one or two of the merfolk, but for the most part he was as commonplace as any other sea creature. Now though? With that shift struck from his soul and replaced with something far larger? Now any hope of remaining inconspicuous was gone.

But Remi needed to breathe, and so it was that once he'd swam low enough down to feel the pressure begin to pulse against his eardrums and for his lungs to beg for air, he became a kraken.

Stretching his tentacles in and out to propel himself lower toward the seafloor, Remi tries to orient himself based on the directions he'd been given by Milo in relation to the underwater city that he might find the shrine. Not much sunlight reached down this far, but despite the pale sea-glass green sheen of his eyes, the Lullaby was able to navigate this undulating world of dark blues with relative ease.

RE: darken, deep - Chrysaora - 11-17-2021

So far, Chrys' day had been uneventful. Some might call it calm, though she would be more inclined to call it boring. She'd been roaming about the area surrounding the underwater city, slowly heading further away from the city on her search for something – anything – interesting to find. And as she was doing so, she certainly found something... interesting. In the distance, barely visible to her, was something big. Something moving. Something alive.

She knew she shouldn't get closer. It might be dangerous or aggressive. Or both. Yet despite this, it only took a moment of hesitation before she headed the direction of the thing either way. Now that she was out there, she might as well check out what this was, to warn the others if it was dangerous. At least, that was the explanation she prepared in her mind just in case. Because I was curious didn't really count as an excuse for causing trouble again.

As she moved closer, Chrys debated whether she should try to turn into a jellyfish in order to be more inconspicuous. But she decided she would need the better vision and reflexes of this form, in case something happened.

Once she was close enough to make out the creature, she stopped. Even though she didn't really have expectations on what to find, this was definitely unexpected. Still a bit away, but close enough to be seen as well, she remained for a moment, looking at the creature while debating what to do next.

RE: darken, deep - Remi - 11-18-2021

Based on the disparity of their sheer size differences alone Remi might have missed Chrys' in the murky depths of the ocean. Despite his soul containing the imprints of so many predators and their various instincts, Remi was not a man who would typically be described as being overly aware of his surroundings. So it was that his glimpse of her was mere happenstance, and perhaps luckily so, or else his massive tentacles might inadvertently struck her.

Twisting in the ocean depths like some gargantuan spinning top, Remi tries his best to focus on the small form before him. But, large enough to wrap himself around a pirate ship and then some, focusing on one humanoid figure was not so easily done from a distance. [say]Hallo.[/say] He calls out through the attuned bond, having learned years ago during his tenure as Torchline's Governor that merfolk possessed this ability as well. [say]I almost did not see you there.[/say] Remi adds a touch apologetically. Though his speaking voice is not dissimilar to his mental one, his thoughts tend to be much more thickly accented. Italian is not common in Caido, and so it's easiest to describe his cadence as having a musical and quick quality to it.

RE: darken, deep - Chrysaora - 11-22-2021

Only now, upon taking a closer look, she was able to really comprehend how huge this creature was. Maybe even big enough to stop a force of nature, she thought to herself. Yet despite the intimidating looks, what was transferred to her telepathically seemed friendly. [say]Hello[/say] she called out as well, a feeling of curiosity accompanying her words. Chrys had never been one to hide her emotions, especially when speaking via the telepathic connection.

In order to get a better look at the kraken, she swam partially around it, trying to get a view from different angles. [say]Are you from the Maw?[/say] she asked, unaware that while the question made a lot of sense to her, it would seem rather out of place to someone who didn’t know the rumors. [say]I’m Chrys, by the way. Nice to meet you![/say] Excitement was layered between her words.

RE: darken, deep - Remi - 11-22-2021

Remaining as still as was possible while bobbing in the depths of the ocean, Remi puzzles silently to himself as he's inspected. [say]Ehm..?'[/say] He hums patiently until her question has laughter bubbling through their shared bond in bright waves. [say]No, I am not. Though I have heard that rumour as well. Now that I am what I am, I wonder if the creature reported to live there isn't just another attuned.[/say]

How many myths were simply poorly-circulated gossip, Remi wondered then, before focusing his attention back on the mermaid. [say]Nice to meet you, Chrys. My name is Remi.[/say] It isn't often that the Lullaby has to introduce himself, given who and what he is, but it seemed fitting that hundreds of feet away from the surface he'd retained a little anonymity. [say]I was trying to find the shrine on the seafloor...do you know where it is?[/say] He could cover a ton of ground as a kraken, yes, but if Chrys could simply guide him, that would be all the more efficient.

RE: darken, deep - Chrysaora - 11-25-2021

This was the first time Chrys heard of a mouth-breather who was interested in visiting the shrine. From what she heard, they had shrines on land as well. [say]Sure. I can bring you there if you want![/say] And she was already heading off down to the seafloor excitedly, the umbrella-like structure starting on her hips propelling her forward in the usual jellyfish-like manner, tentacles trailing behind. She figured that, as big as he was, Remi would most likely have to slow down to adjust his pace to hers anyway. [say]Is there something special about the shrine? You have shrines up there as well, right?[/say]

Without even waiting for a reply, she continued on asking [say]Attuned are people who can take many forms, right? Similar to how we can change into animals, right? But with animals that can swim and walk and fly, right?[/say] As she did so, she turned around for a moment, more or less doing a slow pirouette in the water to look back at Remi before facing forward again.

RE: darken, deep - Remi - 12-07-2021

Following behind her was a bit like trying to follow along in the path of a mote of light. Luckily she was brightly coloured enough that even this far down he could make her out. [say]We do, yes. But I...I suppose you could say I have been given a pilgrimage to make, of sorts.[/say] The Lullaby explains. Shrugging in this form consisted mostly of waving his tentacles about; on the surface, waves would froth and spray in sudden and sharp spikes because of this.

[say]That is my understanding, yes.[/say] Remi agrees, his thickly accented voice sounding confident and perhaps a touch curious. [say]Accepted can become attuned through one of the gods or heralds. I do not believe one can be born an attuned, but...I am an Outlander, so..[/say] So, there were many things he didn't know, even after all these years here in Caido.

[say]Why do you ask?[/say]

RE: darken, deep - Chrysaora - 12-09-2021

Even though Chrys did not look back, she still knew that Remi was following her. Down here, his movements might not cause waves, but the massive form still caused the water to stir around him as he moved.

[say]Because I’m curious.[/say] She stated in reply to his question. [say]Most people I know are other Mer like me, so I don’t know much about people on the land.[/say] Up until now, exploring the ocean had proven to be more than enough excitement and adventure. Recently, as she had learned more about the mouth-breathers, Chrys’ interest in them has increased. [say]But I want to learn more about them, so I want to visit the port town soon.[/say] And what better way to prepare than ask Remi a few questions. On that note… [say]What’s an outlander, by the way?[/say]

RE: darken, deep - Remi - 12-27-2021

Mentally the Lullaby hums his acknowledgement as he continues in Chrys' wake. [say]The Kaiholo port is certainly...lively, though I would not judge all mouth-breathers based on those you meet there.[/say] Remi adds, sounding amused. Torchline was perhaps not the best representation of Caido as a whole, but then, where was? Certainly not Stormbreak with its rules, the Grounds with its ascended masses, or Halo with its constant civil wars.

[say]Mm? oh. Outlanders are...not from this world at all. There is....well, many thinK of her as a goddess, or at least the ascended do. She is called the Voice. She created a way of plucking the consciousness of people like me, from worlds far away from this one. We were pulled here through portals.[/say] Remi replies, trying to be helpful and simple in his explanation. [say]There are fewer who come through now than there were a few years ago.[/say]

RE: darken, deep - Chrysaora - 12-30-2021

Chrys nodded in agreement to the words of Remi. She imagined mouth-breathers to be just as diverse and unique as her people, so it wouldn't make sense to judge them all by one or two accounts. Maybe where they lived made them different as well. The merfolk was quite different from land-dwellers as well after all.

More interesting, however, was his explanation of outlanders. [say]So you get pulled out of your home without any way to resist? I don't think many people would be happy with that.[/say] Only thinking of being pulled away from the ocean and maybe being unable to return was enough to get Chrys agitated. [say]I think I'd go and tell that Voice to get me back home right this instant if something like that would happen to me.[/say]

RE: darken, deep - Remi - 12-31-2021

[say]That was not my experience.[/say] Remi explains, giving a mental shake of his head. [say]Our world was ... well, it was not as it seemed.[/say] He explains vaguely, if only because he didn't understand much of it himself. [say]From others, I hear it is like a world that comes after death, or sometimes appears as a literal portal for them to step through.[/say]

Chuckling warmly, like a parent might if their child said that they intended to go turn off the sun when it got too warm, the Lullaby says nothing at first as he continues to glide behind Chrys like some murderous shadow. [say]Some have tried. Have demanded to be sent back, and I think others have asked for her to bring certain people through. So far though...[/say] Trailing off, Remi gives another mental shrug to indicate that efforts hadn't thus far been successful.

[say]Ah![/say] Spying the underwater shrine at last, Remi slows, and then pauses. [say]Do you mind if I shift back? I have something in my pocket I want to leave here.[/say] Most merfork weren't offended by the human form, but in her waters, large as he was, the alchemist thought it best to err on the side of politeness.

RE: darken, deep - Chrysaora - 01-02-2022

[say]I wonder if she can’t or doesn’t want to bring them back.[/say] Chrys mused. Either the voice was not able to control this portalling thing, or she didn’t intend to bring anyone back. Well, it wasn’t like it mattered much to Chrys after all.

As she noticed Remi first slowing and then stopping and then pausing, she did the same. [say]I don’t mind at all.[/say] To be honest, she was quite curious what Remi looked like when he wasn’t a kraken. [say]I’m also curious what kind of offerings mouth-breathers usually leave at shrines.[/say] Would it be something similar to their offerings, or vastly different? It probably depended on which deity it was for as well. [say]Are you leaving something for a specific deity?[/say]

RE: darken, deep - Remi - 01-03-2022

[say]I wonder that too.[/say] Remi agrees, his mental voice sounding suddenly much darker.

Going from the size of a vast ship to just a man took a few seconds as limbs and organs rearranged themselves. For the most part Remi was fairly unremarkable looking, or at least I'm comparison to one of the merfolk. Littered with scars that were likely hard to see down this far, other than how impossibly strong he was, Remi was...just Remi. With his breath held, he offered her a small wave before reaching into his pocket.

[say]It is, yes. I...am Ludo's demigod.[/say] He admits almost shyly. Some knew Remi as soon as they saw him. Some just believed him to be a killer, and that his presence meant death for them or someone close to them. [say]So my offerings are...maybe a bit different than what others would bring. Or maybe they aren't.[/say] He didn't really pay attention to such things. Holding out a few shiny coins for Chrys to see, Remi let them fall away from his palm to scatter around the shrine.

[say]Some Outlander worlds believe that when you die, you need to give payment to get to the next place after death. I know it isn't like that here, but...it might be a comforting last image, should anyone slip away down here.[/say]

RE: darken, deep - Chrysaora - 01-04-2022

It was indeed a sight to watch this massive kraken compressing all the way to the size of a man. As he waved at her, she replied with a short wave of her own. A wave of surprise washed through the attuned bond once he revealed himself as a demigod, but she didn’t say anything about it at that moment.

Instead, she watched him bring his offering, swimming a bit closer to look at the coins in his hand before he dropped them. [say]And what do they think will happen if they can’t pay? Like where do they go then?[/say] She asked, curious to learn more about these different worlds as well. [say]I think people have different ways to deal with death in different places. I doubt we do things the same as those on land. What’s important is that their souls reach Mort somehow, right?[/say]