Court of the Fallen
A new World - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: A new World (/showthread.php?tid=6616)

Pages: 1 2 3

A new World - Darkeye - 01-02-2022

After a tough day of fighting, Blackeye went to rest. His body screamed for mercy, every muscle was aching. He knew he was getting too old for this. He washed his hands and face and prepared his pipe, to get ready for the night shift. Checking his equipment, he walked out of his tent.

He felt the change of air and the temperature. No earth under his feet, no, just solid obsidian. No more pain in his body, it was almost like he slept many days. Around him, he saw obsidian walls that didn't seem to be made by humans. He tightened the grip on his weapon and thought to himself whether it had always been this heavy. The armor didn't seem to fit well anymore either.

[say]"What the hell happened?"[/say] he shouted. Then he realized his voice sounded different. I got weaker, he thought, was it magic? He adjusted the leather straps of his armor and readjusted the grip on his weapon. He left the building through the front door and takes a look at the wasteland before him.

RE: A new World - Bastien - 01-02-2022

Visiting the Spire had become a regular part of Bastien's routine since his dreams of a Temple had been dashed and he had begun to look forward to it. While the tall, foreboding walls of the Spire were not at all the artist's usual fare, there was something about the structure that called to him, drew him back; perhaps, he fancied, it was the boldness of it. Something that had once been a symbol of oppression that was now one of freedom, of rebellion.

If he wanted to get poetic, that was (which he always did).

The shout he heard when he was just outside the structure and he paused, frowning as he tried to place the voice. Not any that he recognised; possibly another member of the Order, or someone else with cruel intentions for the Ascended. Thinking it best to take caution, he waited around the corner until he saw the stranger walk through the door.

Instantly, the odd clothes and confused expression gave it away. Bastien had seen enough Outlanders, had been one himself. He knew the signs. It had been quite a while since there had been a new arrival, but he supposed the Voice had never said she would stop bringing them through. Clearing his throat, putting on his most winning smile and striding over, he prepared to answer all the usual welcoming questions. [say]"I believe I can help you with that, Sir. May I know your name? I am Bastien De Rosieres, and I can explain it all for you."[/say]

RE: A new World - Darkeye - 01-02-2022

Seeing the stranger approach him, Blackeye whirled around to face him pointing the weapon at him. Preparing to act if the stranger made any wrong moves, his muscles tensed and he kept an eye on him. [say]"May kor greet you young one, but no step closer. Where are we? Give me the facts."[/say] he declared in a stern voice that had a tinge of nervousness to it.

He glanced at the stranger from top to bottom, trying to fit him in a group. This might be the person who brought him here, he thought. With the adrenaline pumping, he felt young again. Taking one deep breath to calm the nerves, he said: [say]"No sir, just Darkeye young one."[/say]

RE: A new World - Bastien - 01-02-2022

Bastien certainly wasn't used to being called 'young one', but he didn't take it as an insult, smiling to himself as he obediently stopped where he stood. [say]"The facts. Ah...I have been in your position and I know they will be hard to believe. But I assume you were somewhere else, going about your normal life, and then - woosh - you were here, yes?"[/say] He waited for some kind of confirmation then continued: [say]"You have been brought to Caido. It is an entirely new world. You were brought here by a Goddess here called the Voice. It is...complicated as to the reason why, but I must tell you there is not a way back."[/say]

It was always difficult to say that last part, but he thought it best to get it out in the open as soon as possible. Bastien knew the torment it had caused him at first, all the unfinished business and open ends left behind in Venice. [say]"Darkeye? I see. And you are some kind of warrior, I assume, from your clothing?"[/say]

RE: A new World - Darkeye - 01-03-2022

[say]"The voice hm, tell me more about her. What is her aspect and what is the reason you talked about,"[/say] he said after he lowered the weapon a little, thinking: yeah, the voice. Only Kor is that powerful. He heard my prayer and gave me a whole new world to fight. [say]"What is this world like? Are there other gods? Where are the elves and the goblins? What about the dragons? Do you know the rat child? Is there magic in this world? Which side is winning the war?"[/say] His voice got faster and faster... after a pause and a deep breath, he spoke more calmly. [say]"I can't go back... then I must learn to live in this world. I was a warrior, yes. But I suddenly feel weak. Why is that so?"[/say] His demeanor has become one of contemplation. [say]"What do you know about the fauna and flora of this world? What is your job in this place? What is this place?"[/say] he said while pointing at the spire. [say]"Is this your home? And you said it happened to you, where are you from?"[/say] he asked insistently.

RE: A new World - Bastien - 01-03-2022

[say]"Her...aspect? I'm afraid I don't know what that is..."[/say] Bastien tapped his chin, trying to think. He supposed if one had to assign an 'aspect' to the Voice it would electricity, something like that, but the way Darkeye had said it so confidently made him think it was more than just something you guessed at. [say]"As for her reasons...ah. In the simplest terms, there is to be a war between the Gods, and she wants to bring in more people she believes might aid her side."[/say]

He laughed and held up his hands at the sudden flurry of questions, but did try and answer each he could remember: [say]"It is...many things, as all worlds are. There are other Gods - the 'Old' Gods. Safrin, Ludo and Frey will be the ones you see. I have heard there are dragons in the Wilds, but I have yet to see one, and from what I have heard that's something to be glad of. I am...not sure of a 'rat-child'..."[/say] Bastien paused, for a second wondering if he'd heard Darkeye wrong, but he supposed that was just different worlds for you. [say]"I assume you don't mean our war, in which case I must tell you again that this is a completely different place to where you have come from, my friend."[/say] It usually took a while for it to completely sink in.

As for why he felt weak, all Bastien could do was shrug. He'd felt much the same when he'd come across the portal. [say]"I am an artist, first and foremost, and an ambassador second. We stand in the Hollowed Grounds, which yes, is my home. This-"[/say] He pointed up to to the Spire, [say]"-Is the Spire. There is too much to explain now, but it was once a prison of sorts. Now it is merely a ruin."[/say] Before answering the last questions in the flood that had emerged, he took a breath shaped with a smile and rubbed the back of his neck, looking over towards the Settlement.

[say]"I am from a world called Earth, from a country known as Venice. I assume we are from different places, as my world certainly did not have goblins or dragons. I have been here for...Gods, about four years, now."[/say] Time slipped by when he wasn't looking. Four years since his arrival, three since the Sanctuary, two since Rexanna had gone... [say]"If you'd like, I could show you to somewhere you may stay for the night? While you get settled?"[/say]

RE: A new World - Darkeye - 01-03-2022

[say]"A war this sounds interesting. Why are they fighting?"[/say] he asked with a hard face and a small grin.
After a pause, he looked at the man.[say]"Young one, do you follow a God that takes you away from your loved ones?"[/say] He thought of all the people he left back in the other world but on the other hand, the potential of a new world filled him with joy.

He looked angry after he saw the man laugh, thinking back to what humans were like in his world: always children... they never grow up. [say]"Did no one ever try to kill these dragons or are they gods too?"[/say] he asked seriously, thinking about what he would need to do the task. He was glad to know that the rat Child has no power over this world yet. [say]"Adapting is the best way to survive."[/say]He took another glance around the area, lowering his weapon and his expression turning more friendly.

[say]"So which lord do you serve? Are there kings to talk to and what is their position in the war?"[/say] he asked after listing close. [say]"In my world, I like to do stone sculpting, what is your skill of the art?"[/say] he asked with almost childlike curiosity and real interest. [say]"You can tell me more about the spire when the time is right, Bastien."[/say] He let out a sigh. He had missed talking to people like this, to be just a person that can make mistakes again.

[say]"You miss your home, young one. That is normal, every being does that,"[/say] he said with a warm smile. The memory of the fireplace of his home and the smell of well-cooked food come into Blackeyes mind. [say]"That would be very kind of you. I hope I can return the favor."[/say]

RE: A new World - Bastien - 01-03-2022

That Darkeye seemed excited at the prospect of a war was a little worrying, but Bastien hoped it was just posturing, the man compensating for the anxiousness of being separated from his home. [say]"It is a war between Gods, the old and the new. A few of us are trying to stop the fighting, but..."[/say] All he could do was shrug. As for the second question, Bastien laughed softly and shook his head. [say]"Actually, coming here allowed me to find the love of my life. She is no longer here, but I would come here fifty times over, leave Venice again, just to know her."[/say] Ah, there it was, the little twinge in his chest. He swallowed it down.

[say]"I don't know of anyone mighty enough to even think of attempting it. Those of us that are the most powerful are focused on the war, anyway."[/say] He certainly wasn't one of them. Bastien considered briefly if Wessex, Remi or Deimos, people he considered strong, would be able to take a dragon - he doubted it, even for them.

As for what King he served, his nose wrinkled at the word, but Bastien couldn't blame Darkeye for not knowing. [say]"We do not have a King here, only an Overseer, and she is not superior to us. Her name is Isla. I can take you to see her, if you'd like. She is an Ascended, as am I, meaning she is aligned to the New Gods."[/say] Flicking his gaze over, Bastien tried to see if he could spot any fangs in the newcomer's mouth.

[say]"Oh, I paint for the most part, though in my Artist's Sanctuary we welcome all mediums; I am proficient enough in most to teach. If you ever wanted to sculpt there, you would be welcome."[/say] They'd actually never had a stone sculptor, only wood. [say]"Come with me. I can take you to the Settlement. There are many houses there that were abandoned long ago, and some of them have been outfitted to house newcomers like yourself. Once you've found your way, you can claim one of the others for yourself, if you wish."[/say] He began to walk away from the Spire towards the town, glancing up at the sky and making sure it was mild and dull enough that he wouldn't have to rush away from the sun any time soon.

RE: A new World - Darkeye - 01-04-2022

[say]"It hurts to see that, according to my experience, those that are not willing to fight are often the ones that die first. I hope that I am wrong this time. In my world, there is one war after another. Peace never lasts long. You must always be ready for war and fight for your life."[/say] He seemed lost in thought.
[say]"My condolences, young one. Love is the reason why I learned to fight. I know your grief."[/say] At this moment he seemed tired and almost regretful.

[say]"Where I come from, if you want to prove that you are a good fighter, you go on a journey to fight hydras, dragons, giants, and more. Many die that way, but those who survive are either lucky, good, or cowards."[/say] he said sternly. [say]"The true problem with war is the good ones die or change in a way that you can't tell anymore that they are the good ones. The only one that winning is death."[/say] He rubbed his hands, still trying to wash the blood that only he saw away.

[say]"That is an interesting way to do it. I would be honored to meet her."[/say]he says it with emphasis. [say]"You only talked about the old gods, what are the new ones the voice and...?"[/say] he asked with renewed vigor and a smile. There are no fangs.

[say]"Amazing, I like that! Maybe once we get to know each other better, I can learn from you. I would love to make art again."[/say] A warm smile appeared on his face again. [say]"I don't know if I can stay long enough to take a house for myself, but I would like to learn more about this world and its people."[/say] Darkeye wondered why the young one looked for the weather, but maybe there were storms and other danger. This guy seemed trustworthy enough to follow him and learn about this new world, so he followed him.

RE: A new World - Bastien - 01-05-2022

[say]"That seems to be the case in most worlds. It certainly was in mine."[/say] Bastien sighed, never having cared for violence. He yearned for his old life sometimes, full of decadence, philosophy and art and little else, though honestly by this point he would have taken just a little more peace. [say]"Thank you. I know I will see her again, which softens the blow."[/say]

He did consider saying something about being called 'Young One' (he would not consider himself especially young), but Bastien decided he actually didn't mind it.

This man had certainly seen a lot of fighting, or at least was good enough at talking about it that it convinced Bastien; still, it seemed pertinent to remind him he wasn't somewhere where dragons could be so easily toppled anymore. [say]"Before you go to hunt glory here, I would warn you that often people find themselves weaker once they come through the portal. That and the dragons here...I imagine they must be stronger than what you remember. One man cannot take one down."[/say] He hadn't heard of anyone doing it yet, not even with others.

Isla was usually easy to find so he nodded, promising easily to take Darkeye to her. As for the New Gods...[say]"Ah, I'm afraid I do not entirely know. There is the Voice, then the Core, but we know very little about the second. There may well be more, but the Voice is...rather secretive."[/say] Bastien didn't mind that. A little mystery and drama was never a bad thing, especially when it came to Gods.

He smiled at the enthusiasm for the Sanctuary, idly wondering if he could open the Guild again with enough interest. Not that it made much difference, more of a title than any real material change to how things worked, but...it was nice to have, regardless. Opening a gate that marked the beginning of the path proper towards civilisation, he stopped with it half open for a moment as Darkeye continued to speak, then shook his head. [say]"Uhm...I worry you have not understood me. You cannot return to your world. You are here forever now. I know it is a lot to take in, but..."[/say]

RE: A new World - Darkeye - 01-05-2022

[say]"No you don't do this alone you go with a squad of 12 people with chains and heavy weights to bind him to the ground. So that he can't move anymore. Get on his back and take a long spear and 3 people push it in the neck together. I feel it right now that I got weaker..."[/say]

[say]"Kor you said. I can tell you everything if you wanna hear it. I serve him with all of my heart."[/say] he said with full enthusiasm. [say] "I know that I can't go back, Bastien, but it's good to know where my roots are. So go ahead and show me the way."[/say]

RE: A new World - Bastien - 01-10-2022

Darkeye provided quite the vivid image of how one would take down a dragon. Bastien listened with a slightly concerned expression, hoping this man wouldn't round up some hopeful adventurers in the Grounds and waltz off to fight a great wyrm. He knew how those stories ended here - with the grand heroes never seen again.

[say]"Ah, no...The Core. The 'the' is important. It is a part of the Voice. Though if you wish to tell me of your God, do feel free."[/say] He felt it was good for the Outlanders to get to speak about their old worlds, at least for a while after arriving. Getting into the settlement now, the occasional building becoming streets lined with stores and houses, he made a left turn towards the Vlamvloed. It looked much like any inn, and he hoped the sight might be familiar.

It was quiet, being the time of day and season it was (and the Grounds was quiet nowadays by default, most of the non-Ascended residents having vacated). [say]"You can stay here for as long as you wish. They will have a room for you."[/say]

RE: A new World - Darkeye - 01-12-2022

Darkeye watched Bastien for a moment. [say] "Nothing lasts forever. Everyone could die. Dragons, people, even the gods. Immortality is a wish that can never be fulfilled. One day I will be the first to slay a dragon or die trying. Only in legends do you get a kind of immortality."[/say] He saw a young boy that was afraid of living. A waste of potential. Friendly but naive.

Darkeye was going for his beard again.[say]"Okay, then they are not the same then. If it's okay with you, I can tell you about Kor. Kor is a god that chooses you. If he wants you, he gets you. He is the god of bloodshed, war, fighting, vows, contracts, and doing what is necessary. If you serve him you fight for the fight itself. But he doesn't like to see unnecessary sacrifices. Children will be protected. Women, men, and old ones that can't fight are no enemies. So, peacekeeper, he is, I would say. But he is the worst enemy you could fight." [/say] He thought for a moment. This was what he would say about it.

Darkeye followed Bastien close. Looking at the settlement as he walked next to Bastien. [say]"How do I pay them I have no money. Should I clean the tables or do you have a job for me to do? I want to do my part. Nothing is free. A hard lesson that I learned."[/say] Darkeye took a deep breath again. [say]"I'm sorry Bastien, I should trust you. The problem is the last time someone was so kind to me, they tried to kill me with poison. I was resistant to it and they tried to stab me. So I don't want to insult you. Perhaps a dinner would be nice, then we can talk more."[/say] A few hours had passed since Darkeye had eaten something and his stomach started to make noises.

RE: A new World - Bastien - 01-13-2022

[say]"Ah...you see..."[/say] He laughed quietly. On Earth, Darkeye's observation would have been correct, but here... [say]"Here immortality is not actually so rare. The Voice offers a version of it to any that follow her and the Old Gods imbue those they especially value with it. I myself do not age or grow ill. Perhaps someone might kill me..."[/say] A possibility that was looking depressingly likely as time went on. [say]"...but naturally? I shall never die, unless I choose to."[/say]

Bastien listened politely to talk of 'Kor'. No matter how powerful this God had been, it meant nothing now, but he knew how important they were to the people who had once revered them. [say]"Sounds like a fair God, I suppose. Compared to some of the ones here. I'm afraid he has no influence here, though. No Outlander Gods do."[/say] Not that he'd ever believed in the God they preached in the Vatican.

He opened the door and stepped inside. The Vlamvoed was very quiet this time of day, especially as the Ascended generally didn't drink. [say]"We don't use money here. We work together as a community. There will be things you can do to help when you are settled, but don't worry about it until then. Would you like a drink? I assume you're a man that likes a beer."[/say] He said, with a wink. [say]"And I'll find you something to eat."[/say]