Court of the Fallen
{SE} do you have a moment? - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: {SE} do you have a moment? (/showthread.php?tid=6641)

Pages: 1 2

{SE} do you have a moment? - Lilliane - 01-04-2022

Strolling through the streets felt odd to Lilliane. It wasn't like she had never done so before, yet the situation was so fundamentally different now. Within a whole new world and and an entirely different city. Despite her visible uneasiness, she still tried to keep an open mind. Wandering about, she tried to watch everything, to get a feeling of this place and the people living within it.

To be honest, she really wanted to talk to someone here. The things Cam had told her were still fresh in her mind and she wanted to get at least a second opinion of another person from the Hollowed Grounds before venturing out and checking out other areas.

After wandering about the Sanctuary for about the third time over, she decided that enough was enough. She'd never be able to ask someone the questions she wanted to ask if she didn't get it together and simply did so. Walking up to the next stranger which didn't seem busy, she asked: [say]"Excuse me, do you have a moment?"[/say]

RE: {SE} do you have a moment? - Wessex - 01-05-2022

Both surprised at being addressed in an unfamiliar way and asked if she has time, Wessex turns from the apple tree she’s been admiring. It was doing well here, and she had just made a mental note to tell Phi that their work was paying off in spades. The speaker is still coming towards her and the General’s brow furrows slightly, trying to place the woman’s face. No such luck. Stranger mode it is, then. A quick realignment and the searching look is gone, replaced with a polite mask that befits the demigod, former Queen, and now-General.

[say] “A little bit, I suppose,”[/say] she replies, with a slight fanged smile, taking a step or two forward to meet the other woman.[say] “Is there something I can help with…?”[/say] Trailing off, she leaves an opening for the other to provide an explanation, or at least a sense of expectation. Wessex very much looks like someone you might go to for help, if you need someone strong or adept at handling a knife - not so much if you need healing or diplomatic words, so hopefully it isn't the latter.

RE: {SE} do you have a moment? - Lilliane - 01-05-2022

With a nervous, yet sincere smile, Lilliane said: [say]"Thanks. I'm uh, kind of new here. And I already had a few things explained to me when I arrived, but there are still some questions I'd like to ask."[/say] She made a slight pause before continuing on. [say]"And some I'd like to hear second opinion on."[/say] To be honest, she needed more than two to get the full picture, but you have to start somewhere.

[say]"I'm Lilliane, by the way. Nice to meet you."[/say] Saying this, she extended her hand for a handshake, unsure whether such was also custom in this new world. [say]"Oh, but if you don't have time or you'd rather not answer a bunch of questions I understand."[/say] She added quickly.

RE: {SE} do you have a moment? - Wessex - 01-10-2022

[say] “Oh, well, Welcome, then.”[/say] Sometimes Wessex very much likes this kind of work; it isn’t part of her ‘job’ exactly, but as the only Natural council member who can talk about many of the ‘hows’ and ‘whys’ of their new world, she can often be useful in getting Outlanders up to speed. With everything going on… it’s probably at the forefront of Liliane’s mind, especially if she already knows a bit. With this in mind, Wessex tries to relax and make herself seem as friendly as possible.

Sticking out her hand, the General introduces herself (sans title) with a firm squeeze and quick flash of a smile.[say] “I’m Wessex. Nice to meet you too. And no, it’s fine. I can spare the time.”[/say] Her Lady brought Liliane here, so it seems like the least she can do.[say] “Is this a sitting kind of conversation, or…?”[/say] Gesturing to the shade beneath the apple tree, she ultimately leaves the decision to walk and talk or sit and talk up to Liliane.

RE: {SE} do you have a moment? - Lilliane - 01-12-2022

[say]"Thanks for taking the time."[/say] Lilliane smiled slightly. [say]"If you don't mind, I'd like to sit down. I feel like it's easier to keep a conversation focused like this."[/say] When she wandered, her mind did too. She had found walking to be perfect for sorting her thoughts. Or to keep a broad conversation going.

Looking at the apple tree, Lilliane smiled. She had always felt like trees in general were something peaceful. Not only because some of them were so old. Mostly because people who planted trees still believed in a next day. She stepped into the shade of the tree and sat down, waiting for Wessex to make herself comfortable as well.

Well, where to start. [say]"I have... a lot of questions. But I'll try to keep them in an order where some answers might already answer later questions."[/say] she said, slightly nodding as if to agree with her own statement. [say]"I'd like to know more about the gods. Since I heard that there are mostly Ascended and friends of the Ascended here, I thought you might be able to tell me more about the new gods."[/say]

RE: {SE} do you have a moment? - Wessex - 01-18-2022

[say] “Sure.”[/say] Offering a small smile to reassure Liliane that all of this is indeed perfectly okay with her, Wessex takes a moment to pull two apples from the tree. She offers one to the Outlander and keeps one for herself, maybe something more to keep her hands busy than for eating.

[say] “I’ll try to answer as many as I can.”[/say] A small assurance before they dive in, but no promise of great revelations or earth-shattering answers. Hells, when she hears the first question the demigod almost laughs because even to her, the person who is arguably closest to the Voice, the New Gods are still a bit of a mystery. Humming to herself, she purses her lips and lets one hand idly polish the apple in its palm.[say] “As of right now, we know that there are two New Gods: The Voice and the Core. The Core is very much a mystery still, even to me. I’m not even sure it’s human-based, if that makes any sense? Every other God, New or Old, has a human form we’ve seen. But the Core?”[/say] Shaking her head, Wessex has to shrug.

[say] “The Voice, however, is a different story. She used to be human, a very long time ago. And through both skill and will, she eventually acquired enough magical power to be considered a threat to the Old Gods and their heralds. She did things like create portals, so we can travel across Caido really quickly, and build in ways that Gods and people alike had never seen. She wanted to help people. But of course, not everyone was on board with her vision.”[/say] Again, she shrugs, as if to say ain’t that always the way? But makes no commentary on who might have been in the right.

[say] “She attracted quite a following, though, of people who did believe in her. There was a war, a little over three hundred years ago and she was imprisoned. But she managed to find a way to bring people like yourself - Outlanders - here from other worlds and we freed her and broke out of the prison bubble the Old Gods had put around the Grounds. She’s not perfect, but no one is. However, I think that what she wants - equality and freedom - is far more noble than what the Old Gods want, which is to keep the status quo, and kill the Voice and us, the Ascended.”[/say]

Wessex drifts off for a moment, pondering what to say next. Had she covered enough?[say] “Personally… I find her to be very kind. I’m biased, of course, as her demigod. But she doesn’t require offerings, she’s always listened to me, comforted me without making me feel ashamed, granted any requests, and gives us free reign. I really do think that all she wants is for us to be our best selves - no matter what race we may be.”[/say]

RE: {SE} do you have a moment? - Lilliane - 01-19-2022

[say]"Thanks."[/say] Lilliane took the Apple given to her. Though for now, keeping it in her hands. Eating would distract her too much from the conversation. She listened attentively to Wessex' explanations. Though there was much to take in, and a lot of questions she wanted to ask, one was certainly on the forefront. [say]"You're a demigod?"[/say] Lilliane asked, her expression surprised and inquiring at the same time. [say]"What does that mean exactly?"[/say] Realising that this might be a rather personal question, she quickly continued. [say]"If you want to tell."[/say]

[say]"Where I'm from, demigods in mythology are usually the children of gods and mortals. Basically half-gods."[/say] Continuing in a joking manner, she said: [say]"And they're usually far too busy slaying monsters or looking cool to spare time talking to normal people."[/say] She shrugged. [say]"They're only myths where I'm from though. Things like gods -  or demigods -  actually taking an active role in the world is quite new to me."[/say]

RE: {SE} do you have a moment? - Wessex - 01-19-2022

[say] “No, that’s a good question.”[/say] Bored with just fondling the apple, Wessex takes a small knife out from her boot and slowly proceeds to cut into it.[say] “Here, it means more that people have dedicated themselves to a God and demonstrated their loyalty beyond a shadow of a doubt. And the Gods, in turns, have chosen to give us special abilities. Above and beyond what any normal person can achieve.”[/say] Sighing softly, she pauses.

[say] “Any objective person might call it a fancy leash, and in some ways it is. When you get used to that much power, the threat of punishment can be a huge deterrent, I imagine. But there are demigods who were born, too. Or made. Children of the Gods, though not all of their children are demigods.”[/say] Tilting her head briefly in consideration, Wessex quickly tacks on an addendum.[say] “Though as arguably some of the most powerful people in Caido, we do do an unusual amount of monster slaying. Cool is relative, of course.”[/say] And at that, she flashes a fanged grin at Liliane, not deigning to comment on which of them might be considered ‘cool’ and which might not be.

RE: {SE} do you have a moment? - Lilliane - 01-20-2022

When Wessex grinned at her, Lilliane smiled as well. [say]"True. What's cool or not depends on the viewpoint."[/say] She paused for a moment, sorting her thoughts. [say]"I imagine there aren't that many demigods then. It's rare for people to have that much loyalty towards someone, even if it is a god."[/say] Though it was said as a statement, Lilliane looked at Wessex questioningly afterward, waiting for a statement from her.

[say]"You said earlier that the Voice gained enough magical power to be a threat to the old gods. Is godhood defined by power? Meaning that once someone becomes as strong as the gods, they're automatically called a god as well? Or did the Voice do something specific to reach that?"[/say] Realizing what her strings of questions might suggest, Lilliane chuckled. [say]"No worries, I don't intend to try and rise to godhood once I know that."[/say] Then her expression turned more serious. [say]"But I still don't understand why the war three hundred years ago even started. And while it might well be that the Old Gods felt threatened in their position and started the war because of that, I want to make sure whether that was the case or not. Maybe the Voice did something they deemed as wrong, whether it truly was or not. And that's what I want to find out."[/say]

RE: {SE} do you have a moment? - Wessex - 01-24-2022

Doing a quick count on her fingers, Wessex hems a bit.[say] “Actually, there are eleven of us… “[/say] Even she is surprised that the number is in the double digits. She does a quick recount, just to be sure. [say] “Eight that I know are still around… not sure what’s become of the other three.”[/say] And to be honest, she didn’t care about the other three. They weren’t on her side.[say] “But no, in theory not many can earn this kind of ‘favoritism.’[/say] Said with air quotes, the demigod shrugs. There were a lot of factors that went into it, she thinks - not just a single-minded dedication.

[say] “Anyway, I’m not sure they’d allow anyone else to have that kind of power now. Have you heard of the different - well, we call them races, but it’s really just categories of people. The Abandoned are called so because the Gods don’t like them much. It isn’t their fault, they’re born with the magic gene, but because of the voice, all magic-users who aren’t demigods have to worry extra hard to curry any God’s favor. They’re pretty scared of it happening again..”[/say] Though if you asked her, she’d say that Remi is pretty fucking close to being a god in and of himself. It’s hypocritical of Ludo, but whatcha gonna do?

Exhaling needlessly at the continued line of questioning (and all the new Outlanders these days had questions in a similar vein), the General isn’t paying much attention when something stings crawls out of the apple and stings her. In fact, she doesn’t feel pain at all, so it’s only the brief flare of her sensors that indicates anything’s wrong. Furrowing her eyebrows, she quickly looks around her body, and then when she moves her hand, notices the briefest flash of something ‘hanging’ off it.[say] “What the…?”[/say] she murmurs, holding her hand up to get a better look.

RE: {SE} do you have a moment? - Lilliane - 01-24-2022

Lilliane had a surprised look on her face. Eleven was a number she hadn't expected either. It was interesting though, since this meant there were more demigods than gods. Then again, assuming there was some kind of 'god hierarchy' it would make sense for there to be more of those on the lower steps of the hierarchy. She felt bad for the Abandoned though. Pushed aside for something they had no choice in at all. A fate that seemed common in any world.

Lilliane was about to ask another question when Wessex muttered the question and took a look at her hand. [say]"What's the matter?"[/say] A question asked both in curiosity and concern. Setting the question she meant to ask aside for a moment, she took a closer look at Wessex's hand as well. Though it took a moment until she even realized anything unusual, since whatever was on her hand was almost translucent. She furrowed her brows. [say]"What is that?"[/say] she muttered, partially to herself and partially to Wessex.

RE: {SE} do you have a moment? - Wessex - 01-28-2022

It’s been a long time since she’s seen one of these creatures, and quite frankly, Wessex doesn’t miss it.[say] “A seed ghost, I think,”[/say] she says as she tries to grasp the little transparent thing in a place where it won’t be a ‘threat’ to her.[say] “They live in apples and eat the seeds - I guess I forgot because we haven’t had healthy apple trees for years, but, uh -”[/say] Glancing with both guilt and relief at the apple she’d handed Lilliane minutes ago, the Natural tentatively points at her gift.[say] “You might want to be careful with that. These fuckers can sting.”[/say]

To illustrate her point, she then hurls her ravaged bits of fruit away from the two of them. Let the little bugs have it - it’s not like Wessex was hungry.

RE: {SE} do you have a moment? - Lilliane - 01-29-2022

[say]"Seed ghosts..."[/say] Lilliane muttered as she took a closer look at the little creature Wessex was holding. Then she looked at the apple she was still holding in her hands before placing her apple on the ground a good bit away from her. Being stung by some creature was not something she intended to experience, but throwing it away felt like a waste of food. [say]"I guess that means if I want to have apples, I should probably wear thick gloves and check for these seed ghosts then."[/say] Which was a lot of effort for a simple apple, but then again life didn't seem particularly easy in this place altoghether.

[say]"But if you don't mind me asking, why didn't you have healthy apple trees for so long? I heard that there was some kind of barrier around this place, is it because of that?"[/say] At this point, she wasn't quite sure what was able to pass through that barrier and what didn't. Air obviously had to, otherwise there wouldn't have been enough oxygen, given how barren this place was. But what about bees and other kinds of pollinators?

Thinking back to the seed ghosts, Lillianes brows furrowed. [say]"Do these seed ghosts eat other things than apples?"[/say]

RE: {SE} do you have a moment? - Wessex - 01-31-2022

[say] “Not all the time. Um - just consider cutting them with a knife first? I think most apples are probably quite safe.”[/say] Though she isn’t the best judge of apples and hasn’t been for a few years now.[say] “I’m sorry. I hope I haven’t ruined them for you.”[/say]

Thankfully, the topic is moving on and Wessex has far more knowledge about the effects of the barrier on the Grounds than she does about whether or not seed ghosts are in every single apple Lilliane will encounter in the future.[say] “Yeah, the barrier was effectively a bubble. Nothing got in or out. I don’t know how it worked, specifically, but the weather patterns changed in here, and the soil changed. It became weak. After a while you could never really count on a full harvest, for whatever reason. Animals mutated, too. We managed to eke out a living, but I’d say the Ground hasn’t thrived for at least the past fifty-odd years. We’re doing our best to recover, but…”[/say]

She shrugs.[say] “It isn’t easy when most of your people don’t need to eat and prefer going out at night.”[/say] No incentives. And that’s hard for someone (that’s Wessex) who thinks that their survival depends heavily on making the Grounds a place where all people, other than the Order, are welcome.

[say] “Have you been to the other regions, yet? Torchline or Halo? King’s End? What was your home like?"[/say] Here she is, running her mouth off without asking the newcomer about their home. Terribly rude, Wessex. Terribly rude.