Court of the Fallen
dont know where your mind is - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: dont know where your mind is (/showthread.php?tid=6679)

Pages: 1 2

dont know where your mind is - Bastien - 01-13-2022

It had been a while since Bastien had had a proper conversation with Az. They popped into say hello every so often, but his child was off in the world having a life of their own now, and he tried his best to respect that. It could be hard, especially on days when he missed Rexanna and thought of how much she had missed, or just how much Azrael's eyes looked like hers. He had a book of sketches of Azrael as they'd grown up, and he often thumbed through it late at night.

But they had a task to do together, something that would take a while, so he hoped they'd have a real chance to talk. Beaming like the proud dad he was as they walked towards the Spire, rod in hand, he asked: [say]"So, Azrael, tell me what you have been doing since I last saw you. Have you been busy? Explored? I do hope you were careful, but as you've come back to me in one piece, I assume you were."[/say]

RE: dont know where your mind is - Azrael - 01-13-2022

The prospect of building something with their father was something that (despite not needing sleep) would have been enough to keep them up all night. As it were, though, they’re practically vibrating the second they start heading out toward the Spire, Bastien at their side, their bright gaze dancing between the large black structure in the distance and slips back to their father. “[say]Nate, Isla, and I went to the Last Step and met a bunch of dragons![/say]” They chime, almost with a chipper tone before they catch themself last minute.

“[say]They weren’t... Nice dragons, but it is how we found the Prince![/say]” This is said with a furrowed brow, a hand rising to their nose to tap before they perk up completely to glance at their father, wondering whether approval would lie within it. “[say]I was careful, though.[/say]” They offer Bastien a brighter fanged smile with this, offering some relief that they were indeed in one piece.

RE: dont know where your mind is - Bastien - 01-18-2022

Azrael's enthusiasm was always appreciated, but Bastien could not help the little shout of alarm that left him at the content of his child's words. [say]"Dragons?! That sounds very dangerous. You are back in one piece, so I suppose you must have been careful, but...I have heard the dragons can kill a man in an instant, or perhaps do even worse. And...who is this Prince? I wasn't aware anywhere had one."[/say] Never having joined in for the search for the creature, Bastien was unaware of the ancient Ascended experiment-turned-companion.

The Spire grew ever closer and he looked up to it's tip, where they'd have to go in order to successfully complete their mission. As he did, a thought came to Bastien and he asked: [say]"Azrael, have you ever actually been in the Spire?"[/say]

RE: dont know where your mind is - Azrael - 01-19-2022

The shout of alarm has a small giggle leaving Azrael, a small look of shyness overcoming them as they shake their head. “[say]Papa, I’m okay. I even got to ride one![/say]” They admit with a small amount of wonder – like reading one of the storybooks in the Atheneum, only it had actually been them. “[say]Well… The dragon I rode was Nate. But he was still a dragon![/say]” And it had been exciting even if it had been terrifying.

When it came to the Prince though their brows furrow together, and their steps slow a small amount. “[say]I was told the Prince was one of the first ones to Ascend… But things went wrong and he was sad and slimy and Sam had been looking for him for a while. They almost got him once before he slipped away and Aunt Wessex thought maybe me and Nate and Isla would be better for getting the Prince so I agreed. And we did![/say]” And the Prince had turned into something incredible.

Their attention is drawn back toward the Spire, though, their sapphire and ochre gaze rising to the top point as their father’s does, before the question has them cocking their head. “[say]I’ve only been inside it to use the portal… I’ve never been up in it though.[/say]” So it would be its own little adventure, this time with their father by their side.

RE: dont know where your mind is - Bastien - 01-20-2022

To ride one. At this point Bastien was nearly speechless with worry, which was a good thing, because another undignified squeak could have easily found it's way out of his throat. Azrael was grown in body, yes, but in soul...they were so innocent, so trusting. He would have to speak to Nate about what exactly he was taking his child to do. [say]"I...see. It sounds like it was exciting, at the least."[/say]

The Prince being sad and slimy made little sense to Bastien, but the mental image made him laugh. [say]"Well, I'm glad the Voice has improved her method since then. I would not like to be sad nor slimy."[/say] He wasn't really surprised to hear Sam failed (what didn't Sam fail at?), and did feel a glowing pride to know Wessex had chosen Azrael for the job instead. [say]"It sounds like you helped him. Does this Prince have a name?"[/say] It seemed like an odd title; Bastien could have been wrong, but he hadn't thought the Voice was one for royal monikers.

[say]"Of course, the portal. Well, you can see very far from the top of it...perhaps not as far as from your dragon, though."[/say] The shock had worn off a little and Bastien smiled, going to touch the edge of the Spire with his fingertips when they were close enough. [say]"It is a magnificent structure, in many ways. Imposing, not my usual kind of design, but...if we should ever have the time and resources to devote to it, I would love to transform it into something new."[/say]

RE: dont know where your mind is - Azrael - 01-22-2022

“[say]It was![/say]” Azrael insists with a bright fanged smile of their own, a bob of their head which causes the curls to bounce as they keep walking. As for the rest of it, they inform their father of the Prince and the information regarding him, waiting for the prompts of questions that they may or may not be able to answer. “[say]Me too, Papa.[/say]” They agree with a soft chime of a laugh, so eerily similar to Rexanna despite not having known her very long. “[say]He does! It’s… Uhm…[/say]” Their hand rises to tap their finger against their temple as they try to recall it. “[say]Emyr King![/say]”

Soon the Spire is upon them, however, and their attention flickers back to the obsidian building around them, their gaze lifting to follow the places where it’s smooth and well crafted to the spaces where it looks like it’s sustained some damage. “[say]Really?[/say]” They ask incredulously, following their father to the Spire to mimic him as they place their fingertips against the building. “[say]Maybe we can… After the war?[/say]” They ask with a bit of hopefulness, turning their head to peer up the few inch difference between themself and their father.

RE: dont know where your mind is - Bastien - 01-31-2022

Bastien supposed he ought to be glad that Azrael was doing exactly what he said they should; adventuring, feeling out new experiences and people...but Gods, he wished they could do it wrapped in cotton wool in their bedroom. He just politely smiled as they confirmed they had fun, wondering if this was how his own father had felt when he'd announced he was going to Venice.

[say]"Emyr King and he is the Prince? That is...ironic naming. What can this Prince do?"[/say] Being an old Ascended and worthy of special mention, Bastien assumed the new comer might have some kind of special ability.

His fingers slid off the smooth surface of the Spire slowly, Bastien stepping around to the entrance of the Spire. [say]"Yes, that'd be nice. Azrael, let me ask you something. Do you plan to be involved in the war? To...fight?"[/say] There was obviously an answer he'd prefer to hear, but Bastien left the question open, entering the Spire and beginning the ascent.

RE: dont know where your mind is - Azrael - 02-02-2022

“[say]I don’t think that calling him the Prince was supposed to be a good thing…[/say]” They admit with a small frown before they’re shaking their head and their curls are bouncing around their head. “[say]I don’t know what he can do really, but he really liked Isla and I think he’s bound to her now?[/say]” They offer the information easily, having seen most of it first hand – having talked to the Prince only briefly when they’d found him and saved him.

They’re quick to follow their father into the Spire, their gaze following up the broken staircase before they look back to Bastien with a pinch of their brows. “[say]Aunt Wessex asked me that too… And I told her I didn’t want to. I wanted to help where I could because I’m a good builder but I don’t… Want to do any of the fighting.[/say]” They say, stepping around their father further into the Spire and looking up at the wreckage and the parts where the rebuilding had begun.

"[say]Are you going to fight?[/say]" They ask quietly, turning to glance back at their father.

RE: dont know where your mind is - Bastien - 02-03-2022

[say]"Ah."[/say] Bastien nodded as if he understood, but without having seen the shambling, slimy creature the Prince had been, he didn't. Still, he didn't inquire further: presumably, if this being was now bound to Isla, he would see him soon enough. [say]"I...see. That reminds me, Azrael. I was wondering if you had ever considered taking on a companion of your own? An animal can be a great comfort, and protection, too."[/say] A little bit of extra reassurance for him when Azrael left - that at least one pair of eyes would be on them at all times.

Using his arms to lean forward and crawl over a step that was ruined more than the others around it, Bastien allowed himself a secret relieved smile as his face was turned away. [say]"I see. A sensible decision, given your talents. It is best to be where one can be used most effectively."[/say] And kept the most safe.

A laugh and a hum followed Azrael's question: Bastien's initial reaction was to say of course not, but knowing the chances they had and the lack of able hands... [say]"I do not know. I'd rather work on helping from the background, but...if I am called into action, I cannot refuse. There is too much at stake."[/say]

RE: dont know where your mind is - Azrael - 02-07-2022

A companion? Their head swivels toward their father with bright, wide eyes of thought. “[say]Like Pittore? Or… An animal animal companion?[/say]” They ask quietly, lips pursing slightly as they consider the options. “[say]I haven’t thought about it… But I wonder if I can get a dragon![/say]” They suddenly think up with a laugh, a chimed bubbly one that almost seems to scream Rexanna in its tones.

Regardless, they follow their father up and up through the spire, climbing over the pieces they need to as they offer the fact that they don’t want to fight in the war. The agreement loosens something tight in their chest and hearing their father’s laugh has them smiling to themself, stepping up further and further. “[say]You’ll be careful though, won’t you Papa?[/say]” They ask, their voice soft despite their worries, despite the fear of what could happen.

RE: dont know where your mind is - Bastien - 02-08-2022

[say]"Any kind-"[/say] Bastien began to say, before Azrael's enthusiasm about the possibility of a dragon took over the conversation; he laughed and shrugged. [say]"Perhaps, though as far as I know they don't typically take to Ascended...that said, Nate has a Starwhale."[/say] The rules of the Gods were arbitrary and changeable, as much as they wanted to pretend they weren't. [say]"If you do manage to procure a dragon and you're sure it won't burn the place down, do be sure to bring it by the Sanctuary."[/say]

Looking up and seeing they were about halfway to the top, Bastien shifted his grip on the rod and smiled at the question - it seemed he wasn't the only one worried. [say]"Of course. I have to stay around, or your mother would be very mad at me. I promised her I would look after you."[/say] He nudged Azrael in the side lightly, though the inevitable sadness did overtake his features for a second before he was able to push it off.

Though not for long; the topic weighed on his mind, the very real possibility he'd be called to action and not return hardly difficult to come across. [say]"Though...if I were to be hurt or worse, I would expect you to keep going. To keep being happy, having friends and adventures. Just think of me and your mother sometimes, hm? We love you very much."[/say]

RE: dont know where your mind is - Azrael - 02-09-2022

Their eyes widen a fraction at the mention of the starwhale, having forgotten completely about her. “[say]Doesn’t Auntie Wessex have a dragon?[/say]” They ask, though they can’t entirely remember. Regardless, it’s an idea that they might seek out the Voice to obtain one of these days. “[say]I will Papa.[/say]” They say, offering a small laugh, climbing up the inside of the Spire alongside their father. The end is nearly in sight, over halfway through despite how they don’t feel any exhaustion from the climb. No, all they feel is excitement.

They nod at the agreement that Bastien would stay around, some sort of tension in their chest relieving. Though they don’t comment on the sad look that crosses his face. They understand, in the best way they can. So instead, they focus on climbing the last few steps until the wind starts to whip their curls around their face and they start to breach the top of the spire. They glance over at their father with the comment, not wanting to have to think about it, but nodding regardless. “[say]Of course… I’ll take the painting of Mama and one of your self portraits too.[/say]” And talk to them just as they’d grown to talk to Rexanna with Bastien’s help over their projects and pride.

Azrael stretches out their arms slightly, their back as they glance around the top of the Spire, wanting to move on from that conversation as swiftly as possible. “[say]So where do we put it?[/say]” They ask, eyes landing on their father.

RE: dont know where your mind is - Bastien - 02-12-2022

[say]"She does? Oh, yes, she does."[/say] Bastien recalled, nodding. With everything that had been going on, he hadn't had much time to consider who had what companion, but it seemed like the rules for which race were allowed which creature were growing weaker - good, in his mind. Anything to bring them closer together. [say]"Do you know what you might think to call a dragon?"[/say]

There was a quiet spell just as they both reached the top, Bastien pulling himself up and out of the crest of the Spire and looking out over the Grounds with his hands on his hips. Azrael telling him they'd take his portrait too was one of those thoughts that had the potential to break him, the idea of himself and Rexanna living on in his child's life as only canvas and oil...but he did not allow it to settle, just nodding and clapping Azrael on the shoulder.

Anyway, they did have a job to do. [say]"Hm. I suppose the highest point we can find, hm? That would make sense. So...there, where that debris piles up."[/say] Bastien pointed to a particular pile of rubble, where a large chunk of what had once been the top of the spire ended high in the air with a flat top. [say]"Do you think you could stand on my shoulders to put it up there?"[/say]

RE: dont know where your mind is - Azrael - 02-15-2022

What would they call a dragon? They contemplate it as they continue to climb the rest of the way up the Spire. “[say]Hm. Maybe…[/say]” They pause, their nose wrinkling as they think up a good suitable name, digging into the names from books they’d read they liked. “[say]F…Fausto![/say]” Azrael can’t help the spark of a grin that spreads along their face, their head swinging back to look toward their father, the curls bouncing around their face with the movement.

It's just in time to block the sadness in their father’s face at the mention of taking the portraits and speaking to them that way. Honestly, Azrael hopes it never gets to that point. So instead, their shoulder is clasped by their father and they still, offering a bright smile up at their father, before nodding and realizing they’d need some reinforcement for the debris piles. “[say]Sure, Papa.[/say]” They say softly, moving to follow their father there and take him up on the offer.

Once Bastien was in a suitable position, they do their best to climb up onto his shoulders, taking the rod to place it up on the flattest point of the debris. “[say]I think… We should reinforce it because of the wind, don’t you?[/say]” They ask, peering down at Bastien for his approval.