Court of the Fallen
dive and fly - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: dive and fly (/showthread.php?tid=6681)

dive and fly - Chrysaora - 01-14-2022

Chrys was conflicted. A rare occurrence, especially when it came to exploring new places. Usually, she'd charge right in and think about it later. But in this case, she didn't. After meeting Remi and seeing him as a Kraken, she had gotten all the more interested in the rumor about a Kraken at the bottom of the Maw. But she knew that if there was a Kraken there, it might not be friendly towards her. And knowing how big it could be, she realised that just charging in there was a whole new level of recklessness.

Then again, she had managed to get out of a lot of danger in the past. Why not this one? She could at least check out the surface of the maw. Like scouting the area. Meanwhile, she was idling about at the shore of some Kualii isles nearby the Maw. Thinking back and forth, she was swimming around the isles, every now and then popping up on the surface and watching the isles before disappearing into the ocean again. To someone on the surface or on one of the isles, she might look nothing more than someone out for a swim.

RE: {SE} dive and fly - Hotaru - 01-25-2022

The Maw is more readily accessible when she is capable of flying now. It is somehow beautiful from above, less daunting and forbidding. The islands that dot the shoreline are scarcely large enough to be called that at all, but they are more welcoming than the shoreline that holds only caverns and labyrinths. Another day perhaps. For now, she is intent on spending the day on the sand; far from the shore and those with smaller vessels who would otherwise be cramping her day with their presence.

Bless the Gods for allowing Attuned to shift without fear of clothing being an issue, as Hotaru shifts on the sands already dressed in her swimsuit with a gauzy shawl overtop to be wrapped and utilized as needed to protect her fair shoulders and pale eyes from the sun's rays.

As she wades into the water up to her knees, she is at first irritated to see that despite her efforts there is someone else with her, but as she watches the woman bob about she frowns slightly. The motions are a little...off. Too smooth. And perhaps it's merely a play on the age old phrase to say she's curious as a cat when she is capable of becoming one, but Ru can't ignore the tickling desire to find out why. [say]"Looking for something love?"[/say] She casts her voice over the water, clear and carrying surprisingly well from someone of her stature.

RE: {SE} dive and fly - Chrysaora - 01-26-2022

Chrys was quite surprised to meet someone out here. Then again, why would she be the only one keen on exploring this place more? [say]“Hi!”[/say] she replied to the call of the other woman, giving her a little wave. Then she swam closer, though she didn't bother to use her arms for swimming, causing it to probably look kind of strange. Getting as close as possible without getting into too shallow water, she approached the woman.

[say]“I've been looking for something to do.”[/say] And for her courage to take a dive to the bottom of the maw. But this she definitely wouldn't admit. [say]“And exploring the area a bit. What about you?”[/say] She gave the woman a wide smile. [say]“I'm Chrys, by the way. Nice to meet you!”[/say]

RE: {SE} dive and fly - Hotaru - 02-24-2022

The voice that rings back is girlish and pleasant, and Hotaru mentally adjusts the age of the newcomer in her mind. Though she does automatically scan surreptitiously for any parent or partner, as she is wont to do with the youth of Caido who seem to habitually grow up and become independent far too fast.

As the girl swims closer Hotaru wades further out to meet her, sharp eyes watching the odd stillness of the girl’s upper half and slow-dawning realization edging closer. [say]“Hello Chrys,”[/say] Ru replies warmly, [say]“my name is Hotaru. I’m just exploring as well, enjoying the weather.”[/say] As evidenced by the warm, light tan of her skin. [say]“Though I heard there are plantlike creatures here that can aid in breathing underwater. I was hoping to test the truth of that.”[/say] Though her powers over wind and air are growing, she doesn’t feel they are strong enough to aid her underwater just yet.

RE: {SE} dive and fly - Chrysaora - 02-26-2022

Chrys grinned widely when Hotaru spoke about searching for creatures. [say]"That's the cloud mantas. You need one of their crystals. I'm not sure how to get one though."[/say] She shrugged. [say]"I never looked at them up close."[/say]

With a slight tilt of her head, she looked at Hotaru. If anything, looking for cloud mantas might be a fun distraction. And If Chrys could get some of the crystals herself, all the better. Then she could take other people with her on her little adventures. [say]"How about we look for them together? I don't have anything better to do."[/say] Again a shrug, but this time combined with a grin. [say]"I can also dive after them if they go below the surface."[/say]

RE: {SE} dive and fly - Hotaru - 02-27-2022

Hotaru happily puts away the name of the creature for future use, pleased that Chrys knew what she was speaking of so readily. The offer is surprising, but not unwelcome, and Ru smiles warmly. She hadn’t anticipated company today but it’s a delightful change in her plans. [say]“That would be wonderful, thank you Chrys,”[/say] she purrs, reaching to tie her long hair back into a bun to allow for her to begin their hunt.

[say]“I wanted to ask, and I apologize if this is insensitive, but are you a mermaid?”[/say] Either that or she is an Attuned, but Ru is certain with how close they are now standing that the young woman is not human below the waist. Whether Chrys desires to divulge or not, Ru begins to wade along the shallower sections of the beach. [say]“If theyre plantlike I assume they’ll want to stick to warmer waters.”[/say] Except there’s quite a lot of different vegetation that has been brought in by the waves. Kelp and seaweed mostly, but also…[say]“What about those?”[/say] Chrys is the expert after all consider Ru has never even laid eyes on one.

RE: dive and fly - Chrysaora - 03-13-2022

[say]"Yep, I am."[/say] Again a slight tilt of the head, as Chrys looked at Hotaru with curiosity. [say]"Why would it be insensitive?"[/say] The people she had met seemed always worried to ask something wrong or be in the wrong place. It didn't really make sense to her.

She swam over to take a look at what Hotaru was pointing at. [say]"Maybe. I'm actually not sure where they hide. But hiding in plants makes sense."[/say] She thinks for a moment, before looking up at the sky. [say]"They can also fly. Maybe it will be easier to find them looking up? But I don't know how to get them down here."[/say] And she definitely wasn't going to wait for one to come down. Instead, she looked around, keeping an eye out for more plants which might hide some of the cloud mantas.

RE: dive and fly - Hotaru - 03-15-2022

The girl’s candid, forthright answer is refreshing. Hotaru has become unfortunately used to the sensitivities of Caido’s people - or perhaps she is merely becoming less mischievous as she gets older. [say]“It’s easy to confuse a mermaid with an Attuned using their shift, and I’d hate to ask you to do something you cannot like walk upon shore.”[/say] The Valkyrie is happy to remain in the shallows to facilitate conversation, and to make it easier on the mer.

[say]“They fly as well? Hm. That may pose a problem - if they’re prey animals they might take off if we scare them. Would you object to me taking one down?”[/say] The Fae are quite territorial of the Greatwood, and as a citizen there Hotaru has had to adjust to the norm of hunting and killing only to supplement a diet instead of harvesting furs or bones. At the edges of the floating foliage, the two may notice movement that is at odds with the natural flow of the waves.

RE: dive and fly - Chrysaora - 03-18-2022

At Hotarus's reply, Chrys rolled her eyes with an annoyed expression. [say]"Yeah, not being able to go on land is annoying."[/say] Then she shrugged, annoyance gone as quick as it had appeared. [say]"But I'd not be angry at you about it."[/say]

Chrys tapped her chin a few times while looking up at the sky. [say]"That's gonna be difficult."[/say] Though at the mention of Hotaru taking one down, Chrys looked at Hotaru with curiosity. [say]"I don't mind. Does that mean you can fly?"[/say] Thinking back at recent meetings with other people,

Chrys was about to add another question when she saw something nearby. Furrowing her brows, she pointed at it. [say]"We might be able to try right away."[/say] While she was clearly concentrating on the thing among the floating foliage, she was also grinning in anticipation of a game of catch.

RE: dive and fly - Hotaru - 04-21-2022

Her moods are as easily spun as the sea foam tickling at her ankles, and it’s equally as charming. [say]“How big is the city beneath the sea?”[/say] she asks instead, genuinely curious. [say]“If being waterbound is annoying, is it because you want to adventure or is it merely lonely down there?”[/say] Perhaps a boldly probing statement, but Ru is the type to conceal her own admissions, not the type to avoid seeking them from others.

Chrys seems clearly well versed enough in Attunement despite being a mer, though Hotaru doesn’t know how widespread information is below the water. Her sharpness is awarded a pleased smile regardless. [say]“I can, yes. Or I can strike it down with lightning, though I’d be afraid it would damage the crystal.”[/say] And unfortunately she has no bow on her. Talons would have to be enough. Though she spares a brief moment to wonder if mermaids and their kin are similarly prejudiced against Abandoned, Hotaru has never sought to hide her designation before, and she won’t start now.

Following the pointed finger with her eyes, a matching grin appears on the Valkyrie’s face. [say]“Do you want first rights?”[/say] she extends the offer even as she slowly advances towards the shape in the water. [say]“We can try stealth or I can dive on it from above.”[/say] Chrys may have a better idea of how astute and aware of their surroundings the mantas are, and Hotaru doesn’t mind deferring to her better judgement.

RE: dive and fly - Chrysaora - 04-22-2022

Chrys tilted her head slightly, thinking. [say]"It's not that big, I can swim from one side to the other in a short while. But it's not small either."[/say] She shrugged, unsure of how to explain it further. [say]"Of course I want to adventure! There are many interesting things in the ocean too. But because I can't go on land I want to even more!"[/say]

Curiosity written all over her face, Chrys looked at Hotaru. [say]"Can you show me the lightning? I've never seen someone make lightning before!"[/say] And for one moment, the matter at hand seemed entirely forgotten.

Only for a moment, however. Thinking about the matter for a moment, Chrys shook her head. [say]"Yeah, I think we shouldn't do something that could damage the crystal."[/say] Looking at the movement in the foliage more closely, Chrys smirked. [say]"How about I sneak up from below and try to snatch it. And if it tries to get away into the air, you dive in from above?"[/say] Saying this, she was already getting ready to sneak up on it, if Hotaru agreed to the plan.

RE: dive and fly - Hotaru - 05-06-2022

It’s no surprise, especially given the woman is still young - prime for said adventuring - but it does make Ru’s smile quirk the slightest bit with amusement at the vehemence of the declaration. [say]“Perhaps you should arrange for a vessel on wheels - something you can fill with ocean water, but which a person or animal can pull for you, so you may see what you want on land easier.”[/say] A question for a proficient engineer. Or the gods, whichever Chrys was more inclined towards.

But for now there are more pressing items on the docket. Like hunting poor, unsuspecting plantimals. [say]“I can definitely show you after we acquire at least one manta,”[/say] she assures with an accommodating smile, happy to show off when given the opportunity even if it must be delayed for their hunt to succeed.

With a lazy salute that is somehow still elegant, Ru easily abides the girl’s plan, and is consumed in feathers as she shifts and streaks into the sky in one easy transformation that occurs in scarcely the blink of an eye. Climbing takes more time, even with the lazy winds circling the islands, but soon she’s at an altitude that allows her to gaze down at the manta - and the mermaid stalking it. Waiting to see if Chrys is at all successful in her attempts at stealth.

RE: dive and fly - Chrysaora - 05-13-2022

Watching Hotaru shift into a bird and take to the sky, Chrys grinned. Then she started to change shape as well. Her human parts almost seemed to retreat into the jellyfish bell, which shrank down until she was nothing more than a normal jellyfish.

In her now, hopefully, less obvious form, Chrys slowly moved towards the manta. She moved slowly, trying to make it seem like she was just a jellyfish being pushed towards the manta by the tide. Unfortunately, maybe fueled by impatience, she moved too quickly once she was closer, alerting the manta to her presence. It got ready to flee and despite an attepmt to quickly shift and grab it, the manta got away and flew up into the percieved safety of the sky.

RE: dive and fly - Hotaru - 05-24-2022

With keen eyes Ru watches her transformation, curious and appreciative. A figurative finger tugs at the Attuned bond, wondering if the girl can feel her the same way in her animal form. She refrains from speaking - instead circling loosely overhead, only her shadow on the ocean any sign of her passing.

The manta’s sudden ascent triggers a response in her body well before her brain, falconic instincts telling her dive, catch, prey. She rolls into a freefall, descending upon the manta like a bullet that pierces it down and out of the sky. Clutched in her talons, Ru meets the shallows of the water with the plantlike creature. A little too deep however for her small bird form, and so she lets her second shift overcome her in a swathe of golden fur until the manta is pinned beneath one giant paw. It is easy enough then to let her claws come free, ending its life swiftly and relatively painlessly.

Only then does she try and reach through the bond in full. [say]Can you hear me Chrys? You look amazing, is that what your lower body is normally?[/say] Ru has not encountered many jellyfish in her life, and takes the time to ogle appreciatively before she deigns to change back for them to harvest the gem. It’s a quick enough process, with easy conversation between them, and though the sun is beginning to dip too much for Hotaru to warrant using the newly acquired gem, she departs with a promise to do so in the future to visit the mermaid.

- FIN