Court of the Fallen
no cracks, no breaks - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: no cracks, no breaks (/showthread.php?tid=6844)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: no cracks, no breaks - Amun - 03-07-2022

Amun kept his palm raised and pointed towards Hemin. Releasing Zhanshi, the potter stepped forward and kicked the knife behind him as the landshark dove underground. The small furrow of earth betrayed the companion's passage as he circled at Amun's feet.

Narrowing his eyes at the other man, the potter raised his other hand. The metal bracelets he wore on that arm coiled down and formed into a dagger. He pointed the end of it at Hemin. [say]"Maybe you should explain why you thought it was a good idea to draw a weapon unprovoked and not talk further about how you would attack my companion."[/say] Speaking in a low tone, Amun stepped to the side so the table wasn't directly between them.

He jerked his chin at the other man. [say]"What's this collection you spoke of? And why in the world would brandish a knife at a stranger? You got a death wish?"[/say]

RE: no cracks, no breaks - Hemin - 03-07-2022

The ground beckoned Hemin, in the way a blanket on a bed in a chilly room beckoned one after a long day's work. He would love to crawl underneath it, and had this desire for the longest time. But as he felt the cool air of the evening, the slight tingle of electricity in the air and the pointed attitude of his new acquaintance, Amun, Hemin didn't want this to be his end. Martyrdom didn't allure him and neither did suicide, nor did a slow death after a lifetime of paralysis. He wanted his death to be special, so he'd figure a way out of this present dilemma.

Hemin peeked upward and greeted the newly formed metal dagger with his calm breath. [say]"First off, I wasn't thinking. If I had been, I definitely would not have judged the idea as any good."[/say]

He picked himself up slowly off the ground, realizing that Amun hadn't struck him when he was down when he easily could have. Hemin then reached into his left pocket and pulled out a petrified baby squirrel, one he had reinforced in order to keep as a good luck charm of sorts. He raised an eyebrow at Amun, bringing the squirrel charm to the sharp end of his dagger, but not close enough to touch.

[say]"This is a mini-mount I keep with me. I'm a taxidermist and when I saw your pup, I couldn't help myself. I collect skins to make mounts and my shop is at the other end of the Settlement. You should come visit sometime! That is, after I figure out who's been giving me fresh skins. All I really wanted to do was thank them! And hopefully learn from them. The cleaner the kill the easier the taxidermy."[/say]

Hemin waved the mini-mount in the air at Amun like it was waving hello. He even put on a proud, little smirk.

[say]"I do have a death-wish, by the way, since you asked. Just-- this wasn't how I pictured going. If you're going to do it, though, please do it cleanly. Snapping my neck will do just fine, Amun."[/say] Hemin didn't know how brutal honesty was going to work, but it ought to work better than the knife trick he just tried.

Keeping his palm and his knife pointed at Hemin, Amun snorted at the other man's assessment. The potter narrowed his eyes. [say]"Clearly."[/say] Shaking his head just slightly, he made sure to keep his gaze mostly focused on the taxidermist.

Tensing as the other man reached into his pocket, Amun frowned when Hemin produced a squirrel. The potter peered at it until his gaze traveled back up to the taxidermist's features. As the other man spoke, Amun pressed his lips together. Not responding right away, he took a step back.

Finally he sighed, lowering his hand. The metal of the knife melted and crawled up his wrist, becoming a bracelet once again. [say]"I'm not going to kill you. You were stupid, not malicious, lemon drop, which I can work with."[/say] Pinching the bridge of his nose he tapped a foot on the ground. [say]"We'll have to establish some ground rules because some of our residents are much less forgiving and much quicker to violence than I am."[/say]

RE: no cracks, no breaks - Hemin - 03-07-2022

[say]"Ground rules? Sure! Any rules you want to set."[/say] Hemin dusted his kneecaps, then squatted to pick up his fallen dagger. He sheathed it in front of Amun, and smiled wryly.

[say]"Does that mean you're gonna help me find my mystery hunter?"[/say] He shook with visible excitement. Then he scanned the ground around Amun's feet, awaiting any indication of the land shark's return. Sensing nothing, he held both hands behind his back and looked eagerly at Amun.

This whole, venturing out and meeting new people thing was much more complicated than he'd given it credit for earlier. However, considering that Amun could have at least injured him a little more if not brutally murder him and hadn't, must have meant they were more than acquaintances at this point. Maybe even friends.

[say]"Do you come here often, Amun?"[/say] His inner child emerged with his open-mouth grin. [say]"Or did you just so happen to show-up when I did?"[/say]

Amun blinked at Hemin's comment. For a moment, the potter just stared at the other man mouth slightly agape. Then Amun shook his head and sighed. [say]"I didn't say I was going to help you find your hunter. We can talk about that later. First, though, the rules."[/say]

Holding up his hand, he began counting on his fingers. [say]"One, no drawing weapons in the Settlement or Sanctuary unless you're training or something or someone is actually attacking you. Two, no killing of baby animals in those same areas, especially rare ones like dragonlings, landsharks, or starwhales, since they're almost certainly going to be companions. Third, if, and this is an if, I go on any ventures with you, you will listen to me. Oh and if I come up with more rules, they'll apply too."[/say] Lowering his hand, he inclined his head at the other man. [say]"Think you can handle all that lemon drop?"[/say] Amun pressed his lips together as he waited for Hemin's response.

Grunting, the potter reached out and patted the painted stones near the entrance. [say]"I would say I come here often, yes, considering I run the place."[/say] He arched an eyebrow at the other man at the reveal that Amun was the boss they'd been speaking of earlier.

RE: no cracks, no breaks - Hemin - 03-08-2022

Folding his arms in front of him, Hemin watched Amun count on his three fingers with the condescension of royalty with a stick up their anal sphincter. [say]"So. You're basically telling me not to do what I just did, with the stipulation that if I do more stupid things, you're going to tell me not to do them too?"[/say]

Hemin could let the condescension get to him, but what good would that do? His shoulders shrunk as he realized it would probably take a while for Amun to let this incident go. But wait, why did that bother him? Maybe he believed with a glimmer of hope that this may not be the last time he'd see Amun and that he'd want to stay in this blessed Ascended's graces.

[say]"Wait, you're what?"[/say] Hemin's jaw dropped as he immediately straightened himself up, folded his hands together and bowed in apology.

[say]"Your grace, I am deeply sorrowed by my behavior towards you and this guild of yours. May I say that it's been a recent dream of mine to enter into these doors and collaborate with the artisans that gather inside. For creativity cannot thrive on its own."[/say] If Hemin could blush a deep red, it'd be a deeper red than freshly spilled blood.

RE: no cracks, no breaks - Amun - 03-08-2022

Amun snorted at Hemin's assessment of the situation. Nodding, the potter arched an eyebrow. [say]"Pretty much. It's close enough, but if you're particularly stupid I might move straight to breaking fingers until you stop acting stupid and start thinking."[/say] He paused to let that sink in.

Covering his face with his hand, he let out a huff of air somewhere between a laugh and a groan. [say]"Please stop with the deference. Unless you're going to show it to everyone you come across, it rings false. Plus I don't deserve it."[/say] Lowering his hand, he wagged a finger at his fellow Ascended. [say]"As it happens, we don't turn people away, so you may join. If you'd come here respectfully, though, and hadn't tried to murder my companion, this whole process could've gone much smoother."[/say]

Hemin held his hands out toward Amun, palms facing outward as if to praise him. [say]"Why would I defer to just anybody? Besides! Of course you deserve it. You've been blessed by the Voice herself, tamed an elusive Landpup, and you have a guild under your belt! Don't deflect, my brother."[/say] He stepped closer to Amun and placed a good natured hand on his shoulder, squeezing it firmly.

[say]"You're the dragon's scales."[/say] He said with an extra oomph of gusto. Then came the reprimand from Amun about his attempt at murder. Again. Which Hemin rolled his eyes at. That part, was maybe not so dragony.

[say]"You know me, Amun. Since when have I ever been smooth? Besides, how was I supposed to know you were sentimental towards the creature? It was biting your hand! And you don't seem the type."[/say] He took his hand off Amun's shoulder just in case he'd try breaking off his fingers like he promised.

Amun sighed, shaking his head at Hemin. When the other man put his hand on the potter's shoulder, Amun tensed. However, his fellow Ascended was just trying to be friendly. Sighing, Amun muttered under his breath, [say]"The Voice give me patience."[/say] Eying Hemin's hand, the potter stepped back and over to lean against the doorframe again.

[say]"All Ascended get upgrades from the Voice, pretty much, as I'm sure you'll discover for yourself soon enough. This Guild has had three masters in as many years, so that's nothing special either."[/say] Hesitating, he admitted, [say]"Zhanshi is pretty cool."[/say] He directed a smile down at the ground as the landshark surfaced to nibble on the toe of Amun's boots before the potter's companion dove under the earth once more.

As the other Ascended continued to compliment Amun, the potter narrowed his eyes and tilted his head to one side. [say]"What does that even mean?'[/say] Shrugging, he crossed his arms. [say]"We literally just met,"[/say] he pointed out. [say]"A bit soon to be pegging each other as this type or that. And maybe because I was talking to and holding Zhanshi like I knew him and not in any sense of alarm? Also, in general, unless I specifically ask for you help, I'm usually capable of handling myself."[/say] He wiggled his fingers at the other man.

Pushing off the doorframe, he curled his fingers around the door handle. [say]"Now, if you were serious about joining, we should get you set up with a workstation."[/say] He opened the door, then glanced over to see if Hemin would follow or not.

When the landshark resurfaced, despite his previous reprimand, Hemin still felt the urge to reach after it and grab it by it's dusty tail. "You're still making excuses for your greatness, Amun! Besides, if I'm lucky, the Voice won't give me something lame like an extra long nose, or something." As the shark disappeared, Hemin frowned. Lame.

[say]"Zhanshi's the name? Zhanshi! C'mere boy."[/say] Hemin tried to coax the shark out from under the ground, but to no avail. He thought about stomping on the earth to get it's attention, but fearing an electric shock or metal to the groin from Amun, he decided otherwise.

[say]"All I'm saying, is I don't see you the type to tie yourself to a lesser being. You wouldn't consider that pup part family would you? I wouldn't. I don't think the Voice would want us to, either."[/say] Hemin followed behind Amun, walking forward while at the same time trying to trace Zhanshi's route underground. The promise of a workstation then grabbed his attention more fully and Hemin leaped to survey the guild's interior.

[say]"You'd give me a workstation? Just like that? You're so cool, Amun! I mean, not that I need to remind you."[/say] Hemin dashed past the guildmaster and into the industrious guildspace, scanning the room for a space that would suit him.

[say]"How bout a station far from a furnace? I wouldn't want the wax on my mounts to melt.[/say]" He asked with a wide grin, almost forgetting the reason he had visited the guild in the first place.

Zhanshi surfaced at Hemin's call. However, the little landshark popped up behind Amun and all the potter's companion did was snap his jaws at the other Ascended before diving underground again. Amun chuckled and waved a hand in the air. [say]"You'll have to give him time to trust you again."[/say]

As the other man went on, however, the potter's eyes narrowed. Stepping forward, he poked Hemin in the chest. [say]"New rule. No insulting companions,"[/say] Amun practically growled it. [say]"He is not a lesser being, I do consider him part of my family, or better yet, an extension of myself, and for the record, the Voice is very, very fond of him as well and would probably be cross with you if you did anything to him."[/say] Sidestepping to block his fellow Ascended from followed Zhanshi's path, the potter held up a palm to stop the other man from advancing. [say]"Got it, lemon drop?"[/say]

Of course, it seemed all thoughts of the landshark were abandoned the moment the potter offered a workstation. Rolling his eyes, he cupped his hands over his mouth as he followed Hemin inside. [say]"Slow down."[/say] Nodding at the suggestion, he gestured for his fellow Ascended to follow the potter. Taking a quick detour, he lifted up a chunk of iron, then stopped at a worktable on the side of the Guild opposite the furnaces. It was also not coincidentally tucked into a corner and far from the front doors.

Dropping the iron block with a grunt, the potter patted the wooden table. It already had a clamp, drawers, and a saw attached to it, and there was an empty rack on the wall behind it for tools. [say]"Does this work? I can adjust the height, length, and width and add any modifications you'll need or make any tools you want if you give me the specifications."[/say]

Hemin heard Amun's voice raise about him respecting the landshark pup and he internally shook his head. That may be true, but at the moment he wasn't really getting along with The Voice. He had too many questions about her that he may even be questioning or regretting Ascending. That and his two strongest influences to become Ascended left. [say]"Yeah, yeah. Don't touch the shark, got it."[/say] He muttered this under his breath before he followed Amun to the corner of the Guild opposite the furnaces.

Hemin's heart leaped at seeing his new, surprise of a space. He imagined his manikins and bases all tucked on the rack and his binding supplies filling the table. Since most of his items were near his home and at his shop, he imagined using this space for touch-ups or for making complex bases that may require the furnaces at the other end of the guild.

[say]"This will be fine for now. Gotta decide what I'd bring here and what I'd keep. Also, whether I'd be making this trip often or not since I'm... I'm..."[/say] He spun around and saw all the others at work. Some giving him looks, others doing the thing where you acknowledge another as something more than furniture. And even still, some in the back were laughing and having a good time, though Hemin wasn't sure he was judging the scenario well.

[say]"Does this mean i'm an Art-isan member now? Wow."[/say] He leaned backwards and sat on the table, both hands clasped on the edge, taking in the moment.

[say]"So, now that i have my own table or anything, what's the catch? I pay a fee to get a membership or something?"[/say] He asked, excited to have his name on some official scroll or something.

Frowning at Hemin's muttering, Amun stared at his fellow Ascended. However, the potter didn't say anything, simply shook his head and trailed behind the other man as they went to the new workstation. As Hemin perused the space, Amun hitched one hip up onto the wooden surface. [say]"Suit yourself. If you change your mind, leave me a note."[/say] Leaning over, he hoisted the iron chunk up with a grunt.

[say]"It sure does."[/say] Letting out a bark of laughter at his fellow Ascended's question, the potter shook his head. He twisted so they were looking out on the main space together. [say]"No, nothing like that. Just be a contributing member."[/say] He stuck out his hand for the other man to shake. [say]"Welcome."[/say]

RE: no cracks, no breaks - Hemin - 03-09-2022

[say]"Amun! Thank you, brother. Bring it in!"[/say] Hemin reached for his extended hand so he could pull him in for a hug.

[say]"This will definitely give me a reason to come into town more often."[/say] He let go of Amun and pretended to wipe away a tear. He then turned to hug the table and laid there for a second, smelling the stain of the wood amidst the chatter of the guild. As he laid there, he felt the arrowhead in his pocket against the side of the table, reminding him of the reason for which he came in the first place.

[say]"Say, Amun. You wouldn't think my mystery hunter would have an affiliation with anyone from here, would you? Do one of your blacksmiths happen to make arrowheads like this one? Or anyone here specialize in traps?"[/say] He began to survey the guild to see if anyone matched the description of one who would support his mystery archer.